2022 Canberra Raiders draw

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2022 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

Blockbuster clashes loom as NRL Round 1 fixture, Origin 2022 dates revealed

The NRL has reportedly locked in its eight Round 1 match-ups, as well as the three State of Origin dates, for 2022. The season will kick off on a Thursday night with a clash between the Panthers and Sea Eagles. On the Friday night, the New Zealand Warriors are set to host the St George Illawarra Dragons, before Adam Reynolds will step out in a Broncos jersey for the first time against his former club South Sydney. Other noteworthy Round 1 matches include a clash between the Tigers and Storm, as well as Cronulla facing the Raiders.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 92c7d330ad

Round 1
March 10-13
Panthers v Sea Eagles
Warriors v Dragons
Broncos v Rabbitohs
Roosters v Knights
Raiders v Sharks*
Wests Tigers v Storm
Eels v Titans
Cowboys v Bulldogs

2022 Origin series
Origin I: Wed, June 8 - Sydney
Origin II: Sun, June 26 - Perth
Origin II: Wed, July 13 - Brisbane

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 34f51fe5fc

* Raiders incorrectly listed as the away team in The Daily Telegraph article.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by RedRaider »

Sharks away is our first game. Fitzgibbons debut as their coach. Hope we can get our season away to a good start. Two competition points the objective. A lot of focus on how Jamal goes in this match.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is Round 1 according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Thursday
Panthers v Sea Eagles at Penrith Stadium
Friday
Warriors v Dragons at Sunshine Coast Stadium
Broncos v Rabbitohs at Lang Park
Saturday
Roosters v Knights at Sydney Cricket Ground
Raiders v Sharks at Canberra Stadium
Tigers v Storm at Western Sydney Stadium
Sunday
Eels v Titans at Western Sydney Stadium
Cowboys v Bulldogs at Townsville Stadium

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s- ... 595oy.html

NRL 2022 draw: Canberra Raiders set to play Cronulla Sharks in round one: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14260
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I can't see us playing at home 3 years in a row

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: November 3, 2021, 7:19 pm I can't see us playing at home 3 years in a row

Sharks fans saying their home ground redevelopment won't be completed until Round 7, so it has to be Canberra Stadium. The Daily Telegraph has the Raiders listed as the away team. The SMH lists the Sharks first, suggesting they're the home team, but indicates it is at Canberra Stadium. Then in another spot, they list the Raiders as the home team.

So looks like it is a home game.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Not really, they can play at Kogarah

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Until the government/media/general population basically stops freaking out about COVID and genuinely starts "treating it like the flu" (ie: stop testing for it, stop making people wear masks, stop signing in, stop isolation, and just rely on vaccinations and medications and hospital treatment for the most serious cases) there's going to be outbreaks, media attention, panic mode, lockdowns, and more bubbles and borders.

Either the vaccination and hospital treatments are effective, or they aren't. Until we "learn to live with it" and accept that there will still be a small death rate (like any other illness you don't hear about every day in the media) then team sport will continue to be a circus with very strict isolation regulations. We've had two seasons ruined. I'm betting on a third (and more).
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Nine has us on Friday lol

ROUND 1, 2022
Thursday, March 10
Panthers vs Sea Eagles, 8.05pm at Panthers Stadium
Friday, March 11
Raiders vs Sharks, 6pm at Canberra Stadium
Broncos vs Rabbitohs, 8.05pm (AEDT) at Lang Park
Saturday, March 12
Roosters vs Knights, 3pm at SCG
Warriors vs Dragons, 5.30pm (AEST) at Sunshine Coast Stadium
Tigers vs Storm, 7.35pm at Western Sydney Stadium
Sunday, March 13
Eels vs Titans, 4.05pm at Western Sydney Stadium
Cowboys vs Bulldogs, 6.15pm (AEDT) at Townsville Stadium

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/draw-round ... d0f403b31f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nine media own both The Sydney Morning Herald and wwos.nine.com.au!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

That’s quite a take Finchy
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: November 3, 2021, 9:57 pm That’s quite a take Finchy
Come on Billy, bit of empathy needed here.

I think you missed the part about Finchy’s footy seasons being ruined!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

broncos with the prime time Friday game?!
Imagine my surprise

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Sid wrote: November 4, 2021, 7:08 am broncos with the prime time Friday game?!
Imagine my surprise

Outside of the Panthers-Eagles game, that one is clearly the biggest in terms of supporter bases in two major cities, the Reynolds story, rep players on display etc etc. I don’t think you can make a case for any other game to be in the marquee slot can you?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: November 4, 2021, 6:42 am
Billy Walker wrote: November 3, 2021, 9:57 pm That’s quite a take Finchy
Come on Billy, bit of empathy needed here.

I think you missed the part about Finchy’s footy seasons being ruined!
Yep - really gives new meaning when someone says they are dying to watch the footy!

For what it’s worth, I think we seem to have rounded the bend and we appear to be in a good place. So long as there aren’t any variants or mutations popping up I’d like to think Finchy should get a more normal season ahead. The issue with non-vaccinated players and how that plays out might be the exception but again I suspect the position on that will flex depending on how numbers are travelling.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Finchy wrote: November 3, 2021, 8:11 pm Until the government/media/general population basically stops freaking out about COVID and genuinely starts "treating it like the flu" (ie: stop testing for it, stop making people wear masks, stop signing in, stop isolation, and just rely on vaccinations and medications and hospital treatment for the most serious cases) there's going to be outbreaks, media attention, panic mode, lockdowns, and more bubbles and borders.

Either the vaccination and hospital treatments are effective, or they aren't. Until we "learn to live with it" and accept that there will still be a small death rate (like any other illness you don't hear about every day in the media) then team sport will continue to be a circus with very strict isolation regulations. We've had two seasons ruined. I'm betting on a third (and more).
NSW Govt has announced 100% capacity for sport for fully vaccinated.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sharks eh ?

Us 40-0
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rickmando wrote:
Imagine my surprise

Outside of the Panthers-Eagles game, that one is clearly the biggest in terms of supporter bases in two major cities, the Reynolds story, rep players on display etc etc. I don’t think you can make a case for any other game to be in the marquee slot can you?
It's a brand new season with a brand new draw, any number of match combinations could have been formed for round 1 and NRL have wound up with one that has the broncos prime time on a Friday night

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

hrundi89 wrote: November 4, 2021, 9:29 am
Finchy wrote: November 3, 2021, 8:11 pm Until the government/media/general population basically stops freaking out about COVID and genuinely starts "treating it like the flu" (ie: stop testing for it, stop making people wear masks, stop signing in, stop isolation, and just rely on vaccinations and medications and hospital treatment for the most serious cases) there's going to be outbreaks, media attention, panic mode, lockdowns, and more bubbles and borders.

NSW Govt has announced 100% capacity for sport for fully vaccinated.
Do you know what sport has the highest vaccination rates in the world?

The double shot put I think…
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Sid wrote: November 4, 2021, 10:42 am
Rickmando wrote:
Imagine my surprise

It's a brand new season with a brand new draw, any number of match combinations could have been formed for round 1 and NRL have wound up with one that has the broncos prime time on a Friday night

I can’t argue with it. Out of those, it’s the game that would have maximum eyeballs watching it, and (advertising) money talks.

No one apart from the die hards would want to spend their Friday night watching the Raiders try and out-grind the Sharks 12-10
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I think it will be a very close game although lots can happen between now and the start. Hope Ricky and Crawley restructure our attack. Plus we do not know whether Rapa and Starling will be suspended in Round 1. Hope we play people who deserve to be there on merit as opposed to name.

Sharks have recruited well - Hynes, Finucane, will be certain starters, and McInnes will likely come off the bench. Their back three is very good and Ikuvalu their reserve winger is better than our reserves Bailey and Semi. I also like the look of Metcalf their young half/ five eighth. Plus they were sensible in getting rid of deadwood like Aaron Deadwood Woods and Dugan.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: November 4, 2021, 11:25 am
Rickmando wrote:
Imagine my surprise

I can’t argue with it. Out of those, it’s the game that would have maximum eyeballs watching it, and (advertising) money talks.

No one apart from the die hards would want to spend their Friday night watching the Raiders try and out-grind the Sharks 12-10
Yeah no arguments from me. Adam Reynolds v his old club, Broncs trying to show they have turned a corner, rabbits trying to go one better without Wayne. Big crowd - it’s the showcase game of the round.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: November 4, 2021, 11:38 am
Rickmando wrote:
Imagine my surprise

Yeah no arguments from me. Adam Reynolds v his old club, Broncs trying to show they have turned a corner, rabbits trying to go one better without Wayne. Big crowd - it’s the showcase game of the round.
on recent form Panthers vs Sea Eagles is clearly showcase match of the round. Thats why they have the Thursday night season opener. Bunnies vs Broncs would be 2nd best though. Only fair that the two grand finalists enjoy the primme time coverage in week 1. None of other games are overly inspiring from a viewer numbers perspective.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: November 4, 2021, 12:05 pm
Rickmando wrote:

on recent form Panthers vs Sea Eagles is clearly showcase match of the round. Thats why they have the Thursday night season opener. Bunnies vs Broncs would be 2nd best though. Only fair that the two grand finalists enjoy the primme time coverage in week 1. None of other games are overly inspiring from a viewer numbers perspective.
Panthers v Sea Eagles should be a cracker as well so long as Manly don’t decide to start the season in Round 6 again
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: November 4, 2021, 2:19 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 4, 2021, 12:05 pm
Sid wrote: November 4, 2021, 10:42 am It's a brand new season with a brand new draw, any number of match combinations could have been formed for round 1 and NRL have wound up with one that has the broncos prime time on a Friday night

Panthers v Sea Eagles should be a cracker as well so long as Manly don’t decide to start the season in Round 6 again
A lot depends on whether Turbo wants a rematch with Harry up the Corso in the lead up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Anybody want to have a guess at FTA games for the **** Broncos? 18 - 20 for me.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

As long as they come last I’ve changed my mind and happy to have them on FTA.
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Do we actually know when the full draw is going to be released? Today, tomorrow, Monday?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hearing it is now probably Monday or Tuesday.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: November 4, 2021, 9:59 pm As long as they come last I’ve changed my mind and happy to have them on FTA.
I’m happy for them to come second as long as we come first. In fact if they come equal second with 15 other teams that aren’t us that would work ok as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: November 5, 2021, 1:27 pm
gangrenous wrote: November 4, 2021, 9:59 pm As long as they come last I’ve changed my mind and happy to have them on FTA.
I’m happy for them to come second as long as we come first. In fact if they come equal second with 15 other teams that aren’t us that would work ok as well.
:hmmm 🧐
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: November 5, 2021, 1:28 pm
Billy Walker wrote: November 5, 2021, 1:27 pm
:hmmm 🧐
A very complex final series but possibly not impossible
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The draw is to be announced tomorrow.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Canberra Raiders avoid big freeze

The Green Machine will avoid Canberra's big freeze when the NRL announces their 2022 season draw on Tuesday at 11am. After years of asking, the Raiders have finally avoided night home games through the dead of winter, with eight of their 12 home games for next year to be played in the afternoon.

They'll have eight free-to-air games next season, one up on this year, giving them greater exposure on the national stage - a stage they're looking to bounce back into the NRL finals on after missing out this campaign.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14260

In summary from The Canberra Times:

Round 1 v Sharks at 6pm Friday
Eight of 12 home games in the afternoon
Wagga game to be moved from Gold Cup weekend to earlier in the season
Eight FTA games
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

If my maths is correct there are 75 fta games, and we get 8.....
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wot.. no one plays 75 games a season

8/24 isn't terrible