Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Dr Zaius »

Reading accounts on a medical Facebook page. Western Sydney hospitals sound like war zones currently.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Schifty wrote: September 13, 2021, 6:46 pm Image

ACT and VIctoria starting to surge with the first doses. Mainly due to do with the younger age groups being given access.
Why the extremely-sharp dip for NSW over the past few weeks - have they hit the antivaxxer wall already?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sterlk wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:37 pm

ACT and VIctoria starting to surge with the first doses. Mainly due to do with the younger age groups being given access.
Why the extremely-sharp dip for NSW over the past few weeks - have they hit the antivaxxer wall already?
Potentially. It's dropping off from the peaks of previous weeks and about to hit 80% with at least 1 dose. We'll be hitting the hesitant sector now so rate will slow.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Sterlk wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:37 pm

Potentially. It's dropping off from the peaks of previous weeks and about to hit 80% with at least 1 dose. We'll be hitting the hesitant sector now so rate will slow.
Definitely heading towards that ceiling. They should hit 80% single dose today or tomorrow. Most jurisdictions around the world have found going from 70 to 80% a hard slog, so they have done well. I suspect getting towards 90% is going to be a slow process. Still, with the exception of Victoria and ACT, their roll out is still progressing faster than everywhere else.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

For some reason I thought there was going to be an announcement on the Canberra lockdown today, and whether it would be extended. Maybe I've got it wrong?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: September 14, 2021, 8:42 am For some reason I thought there was going to be an announcement on the Canberra lockdown today, and whether it would be extended. Maybe I've got it wrong?
Chief Minister Andrew Barr will provide long-awaited detail of future public health restrictions after Friday's slated end to lockdown, but no radical changes or easing is expected: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=24204
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: September 14, 2021, 8:42 am For some reason I thought there was going to be an announcement on the Canberra lockdown today, and whether it would be extended. Maybe I've got it wrong?
Chief Minister Andrew Barr will provide long-awaited detail of future public health restrictions after Friday's slated end to lockdown, but no radical changes or easing is expected: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=24204
Thanks GE. Really sad news if lockdowngets extended. Interstate family member who really needs our support and she just can't get here. Feel pretty helpless ATM.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:For some reason I thought there was going to be an announcement on the Canberra lockdown today, and whether it would be extended. Maybe I've got it wrong?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Four week extension for ACT.

At least the vaccine supply is starting to roll through at AIS.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

World renowned vet Craig Kelly has blocked me on twitter

I thought he wanted everyone to read his messages :roll:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Got a peak at the Queensland modelling today

Long story short, hope to hold out to 80% double, then let covid in in a "controlled way". Expected peak at 3 months around 1500 a day. Expect ICU peak demand between 600-800. Diversion of resources, likely outsourcing surgery to private hospitals.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I wonder how many anti vaxxers are going to be around in about a year?
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

gergreg wrote: September 14, 2021, 10:59 pm I wonder how many anti vaxxers are going to be around in about a year?
99.99999999% …. Your welcome
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:Got a peak at the Queensland modelling today
Pardon the pun.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

samvucago wrote:
gergreg wrote: September 14, 2021, 10:59 pm I wonder how many anti vaxxers are going to be around in about a year?
He asked how many would be around, not how many couldn’t understand math.

You’re welcome.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
Pardon the pun.
Nicely done
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

samvucago wrote:
Maybe a better way for me to put the question would be - I wonder what percentage of the population will be anti vaxxers in a year compared to pre-covid?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thought Andrew Barr did very well in his press conference yesterday, after Nine media sent in Chris Uhlmann and Phil Coorey from the federal press gallery. Some aggressive questioning and they dominated the time (at times embarrassing questions put). Nine pretty clearly with an agenda.

Doesn’t look good for getting back to zero though. Reff just under 1. Not only getting introductions from NSW, but also Victoria now. And too many unexplained cases: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 15, 2021, 8:02 am
gangrenous wrote:
Pardon the pun.
Nicely done
Best to post this kind of thing in the "what made/ruined your day" thread. This is definitely in the "made" column.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
samvucago
Peter Jackson

Post by samvucago »

gergreg wrote: September 15, 2021, 8:13 am
samvucago wrote:
Maybe a better way for me to put the question would be - I wonder what percentage of the population will be anti vaxxers in a year compared to pre-covid?
Probably like a lot of other societal issues in today’s world you will never get the answer … there will be a loud minority of pro, a loud minority of anti and the silent majority that hold the answer to the question
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah…

Or we could, you know, look at the stats for COVID vaccination and have a very good idea.

There’s no silent majority of anti-vaxxers
samvucago
Peter Jackson

Post by samvucago »

gangrenous wrote: September 15, 2021, 1:35 pm Yeah…

Or we could, you know, look at the stats for COVID vaccination and have a very good idea.

Yeah…

Or we could, you know, not use a stat skewed by Govt mandating to validate a position that may or may not be the consensus.

There is a loud minority of pro-vaxxers.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

samvucago wrote:
You're*

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

NSW just over the 80% first vaccination mark for those 16 years and older. Hopefully the second vaccination levels will soon get to the 70% level. That will enable some easing of restrictions. From a personal point of view, I'll be glad to see the barber again. Wearing a mask of course.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

samvucago wrote: September 15, 2021, 3:30 pm

Yeah…

Or we could, you know, not use a stat skewed by Govt mandating to validate a position that may or may not be the consensus.

Welcome to the 2021 anti-intellectualism movement people.

A time where everything means nothing if you feel that it does. A time where everything you dislike the sound of can be filed away as fake news.

And a time where at any given moment there is a social media, algorithm-facilitated echo chamber there to warmly embrace you and delude you into thinking that your views are representative of some silent, seething majority.
Up The Milk
samvucago
Peter Jackson

Post by samvucago »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 15, 2021, 5:11 pm
samvucago wrote: September 15, 2021, 3:30 pm

Yeah…

Welcome to the 2021 anti-intellectualism movement people.

A time where everything means nothing if you feel that it does. A time where everything you dislike the sound of can be filed away as fake news.

And a time where at any given moment there is a social media, algorithm-facilitated echo chamber there to warmly embrace you and delude you into thinking that your views are representative of some silent, seething majority.
Welcome to the 2021 weely weely smart person’s forum where a weely weely smart person doesn’t see the irony of their post.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

samvucago wrote:

Yeah…

Not sure 'minority' and 'pro-vaxxers' belong in same sentence. I'm also not sure where you are going with this?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

NSW hit 80% single jabs today. Numbers clearly trending down and the Reff is below 1.

ACT numbers bouncing around a bit, but Reff also below 1, and projection is to drop below 5 cases a day mid October when the lockdown is scheduled to end.

Victoria's case numbers have plateaued the last few days, hopeful. Reff is still quite high, giving them a predicted peak of 2500 cases a day, much better than a week ago.

NZ have flattened the curve, but like the ACT, there are consistent low numbers. Despite the strictest of lockdowns after one case, it's just not shifting. Delta is as stubborn as a toddler with an iPad.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Tik Tok guy and his dad in hospital with covid.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 0c798fc991
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

But the sad part is it looks like he gave it to his father, who is now in icu.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So Dan Andrews is essentially copying the NSW easing of restrictions (ie the picnic rule), at a lower level of vaccination than when NSW did (earlier this week at nearly 80% single jab), after criticising NSW for announcing that decision. No doubt all of the Victorians that piled on to the NSW Government over the announcement will be similarly critical of the Victorian government.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

In pictures... Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Just wait until we get to over 80% of the population vaccinated and there are more than half the hospitalised people vaccinated and the anti-vaxxers will rant and rave about the vaccination not working because they don’t understand math.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Just back from my 1st Pfizer jab.

All good so far.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: