All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

Post by Botman »

IBG wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:35 am
Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:07 am Im not sure it's a problem as far as the club is concerned.
We all know who the leak is and it's the most powerful person in the club and he's leaking it because he wants it leaked.
No I agree, I'm not saying it's a mystery who is doing it. But if you're a player, are you happy you know that your coach is doing it every time something goes wrong?
Yeah sorry, i think most of us are in complete agreement that it IS a problem. We fans can see why it is.
But i dont know that the club is really worried about plugging the leak or see it as a problem, because, yeah, we know who the leak is :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Why is a really good player like Dufty on the outer at Dragons? We can speculate but we don’t know and probably won’t find out and that is how it should be at a professional organisation.

Why do we need to fat shame BJ and lay out everything he did wrong to justify moving him on?

Bateman, Williams and Scott - blow by blow descriptions of who said what to who and when. Great theatre and the media and fans love it but geez you damage trust and culture in an organisation when you pull that rubbish.

At least 2 of those blokes pointed to mental health concerns - I can say if it’s true or made up but not sure anyone really should play that guessing game including Don Furner.

We can even rest Papa for a week without feeling the need to justify it through the media and running some rubbish about how he needs to find the real Papa.

Not all players work out but a professional club quietly moves a troubled player onto a $600k a year deal at another club like Melbourne did not trash reputations like the Raiders do.

Here’s a question Don - are you recruiting the wrong blokes, are we failing in our culture development or are we just unlucky because there is a pattern here and I’m not copping that it’s everybody else fault…
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:15 am "I can't understand why I try to run puff pieces in the media through my manager JUST before the club makes the call to sack me to try and make the club look bad and then they turn around and reveal the very valid reasons for my dismissal! How very dare they! Unfair I say! The media is only for redemption stories that make me look good and releasing the facts of my dismissal is just a low blow"

Deluded character.
In a nut shell. The social media sob story before his sacking was pre-emptive damage control. I reckon he had this latest post already prepared.

Carrying on like this is not going to aid him getting another contract. If he owned it and showed genuine contrition another club might have been compelled to offer him something like a $250k deal for a year or two. Most clubs will now look on and think "not worth the trouble". Now maybe get a Train and Trial deal after a year in NSW Cup.
Last edited by Northern Raider on August 24, 2021, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:44 am Why is a really good player like Dufty on the outer at Dragons? We can speculate but we don’t know and probably won’t find out and that is how it should be at a professional organisation.

Why do we need to fat shame BJ and lay out everything he did wrong to justify moving him on?

Bateman, Williams and Scott - blow by blow descriptions of who said what to who and when. Great theatre and the media and fans love it but geez you damage trust and culture in an organisation when you pull that rubbish.

At least 2 of those blokes pointed to mental health concerns - I can say if it’s true or made up but not sure anyone really should play that guessing game including Don Furner.

We can even rest Papa for a week without feeling the need to justify it through the media and running some rubbish about how he needs to find the real Papa.

Not all players work out but a professional club quietly moves a troubled player onto a $600k a year deal at another club like Melbourne did not trash reputations like the Raiders do.

Here’s a question Don - are you recruiting the wrong blokes, are we failing in our culture development or are we just unlucky because there is a pattern here and I’m not copping that it’s everybody else fault…
Preach Billy.

It’s interesting “culture” is thrown up as a mantra so often by Rick - maybe as a supplement to a lack of actual coaching? Just bleed green, no dick heads, grind your heart out = profit?

I also think it’s pretty hard to champion culture when week after week selections aren’t made on form or performance, but reputation. Or when leadership demonstrate double standards in how certain members of the playing group are treated. You can do all the work in the world off the field on “culture”, but if those in leadership are only talking the talk and not walking the walk you’re guaranteed to end up with dissent in the group (+/- wives)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Problems only rise to the surface when the team is playing like garbage. Every single club is managing these types of issues. The journos aren't sniffing around the clubs that are going well. They push for little snippets at bottom 8 clubs, or managers of players at those clubs.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Humphrey B Flaubert
David Grant

Post by Humphrey B Flaubert »

Rickmando wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:09 am
Billy Walker wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:44 am Why is a really good player like Dufty on the outer at Dragons? We can speculate but we don’t know and probably won’t find out and that is how it should be at a professional organisation.

Preach Billy.

It’s interesting “culture” is thrown up as a mantra so often by Rick - maybe as a supplement to a lack of actual coaching? Just bleed green, no dick heads, grind your heart out = profit?

I also think it’s pretty hard to champion culture when week after week selections aren’t made on form or performance, but reputation. Or when leadership demonstrate double standards in how certain members of the playing group are treated. You can do all the work in the world off the field on “culture”, but if those in leadership are only talking the talk and not walking the walk you’re guaranteed to end up with dissent in the group (+/- wives)
The 'culture' is the most disappointing thing in all of this. On face value, the public marketing campaign and recent successful years has done great things for the public perception. Record memberships and all.

However, the rot appears to have started the week of the GF, when old mate Batemans manager started the agitation. From that moment on, the wheels have been falling off. We've watched the Bateman Saga, the Australia Day Scott Saga, the Williams Saga, the Hodgson Saga, the Kokomo Scott Saga and now the Scott Endgame Saga which includes a flashback to a short episode involving fisticuffs with a teammate after a club function. In the midst of this we have a club captain whose body sadly appears to be failing him and being abused on the socials by fans, players wives questioning bench/selections and whatnot. It's a never ending story of saga. What other clubs have this sort of thing happen?

In amongst that, the thing that disappointed me the most was when the club has had one captain step down after he chucked a tantrum, and the only way members found out about that was 3 weeks after the fact in the media when it appears it was inadvertently leaked. A captaincy change is a significant event, and hiding it meant there was reasons to hide it, so that then leads to a stench that then resulted in the on field performances we have seen in 2021.

When we look for the reasons around the sudden demise of the clubs fortunes, and the rebuilding starts yet again which yet again sees a number of years of mediocrity, it's the sagas that ultimately lead to this. Who is responsible, or accountable, for the cultural issues? CEO? Coach? Unfortunately it will be nobodies fault, because each week we can't question the effort...
Speed limits are just suggestions....Like pants!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Humphrey B Flaubert wrote:

Preach Billy.

The 'culture' is the most disappointing thing in all of this. On face value, the public marketing campaign and recent successful years has done great things for the public perception. Record memberships and all.

However, the rot appears to have started the week of the GF, when old mate Batemans manager started the agitation. From that moment on, the wheels have been falling off. We've watched the Bateman Saga, the Australia Day Scott Saga, the Williams Saga, the Hodgson Saga, the Kokomo Scott Saga and now the Scott Endgame Saga which includes a flashback to a short episode involving fisticuffs with a teammate after a club function. In the midst of this we have a club captain whose body sadly appears to be failing him and being abused on the socials by fans, players wives questioning bench/selections and whatnot. It's a never ending story of saga. What other clubs have this sort of thing happen?

In amongst that, the thing that disappointed me the most was when the club has had one captain step down after he chucked a tantrum, and the only way members found out about that was 3 weeks after the fact in the media when it appears it was inadvertently leaked. A captaincy change is a significant event, and hiding it meant there was reasons to hide it, so that then leads to a stench that then resulted in the on field performances we have seen in 2021.

When we look for the reasons around the sudden demise of the clubs fortunes, and the rebuilding starts yet again which yet again sees a number of years of mediocrity, it's the sagas that ultimately lead to this. Who is responsible, or accountable, for the cultural issues? CEO? Coach? Unfortunately it will be nobodies fault, because each week we can't question the effort...
Like I said above, these cultural or behavioural issues only rise to the surface (mostly) when the team is playing poorly. At the start of the year there was talk of Hasler losing the dressing room or how he needed help. Not a peep of negativity coming out of the club as soon as they clicked into gear.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The culture at the raiders, that Ricky is so proud of, that is what he hangs his hat on, is unquestionably toxic and rotten

Stuart did some magic work in getting this club back to a point where it was able to go deep into the finals a couple of times and come within a few bounces of the ball from winning a premiership. He got all the praise for that club turn around and rightly so, and now, he owns its demise too.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Reading some comments on social media it's amazing how quickly people seem to have taken the 'awww poor Curtis, Canberra threw him under the bus' bait from Scott hook, line and sinker.

To recap, he's had multiple alcohol related incidents in the 18 months he was on the books with us. He's been charged by police twice. Several of these incidents have seen him being unable to take the field for us, and the few times he has been on the field he's been very, very poor. He apparently caused problems within the playing group and there are rumors that the fight with Bateman aren't the only thing the club was able to keep secret.

The literal day before the club is going to make its announcement on his future which was obvious to everyone that it would result in his termination, he comes out and says 'I have mental health problems, I'm joining AA' which is just the most blatant attempt to get ahead of a bad news story I've ever seen. But all the comments I've read this morning are 'geez, who'd sign for the Raiders, first sign of trouble and they air your dirty laundry and throw you under the bus. What about poor Curtis' player welfare? What about his mental health?'

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading the number of comments that have fallen for the crap this bloke is shoveling.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Spot on Humphrey! I just can’t get past the handling of the Scott/Bateman incident. The club chooses to cover it up which is highly questionable but then feels it ok use it to justify a decision a year or two later.

We have Bateman in the UK bagging the club at every opportunity, BJ feeling he needs to do a piece in the telly about his Ill feeling towards the club. Williams trying to clear the air with fans via social media. Scott doing the same - It’s really ugly stuff.

Don and Rick think they have the media in their pocket but they are getting played and are too stupid to know it.

The culture Rick holds so dear is shot to pieces. Curtis isn’t the story here - The spotlight should be firmly on Don and Rick!
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

gergreg wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:42 am
Humphrey B Flaubert wrote:

Preach Billy.

Like I said above, these cultural or behavioural issues only rise to the surface (mostly) when the team is playing poorly. At the start of the year there was talk of Hasler losing the dressing room or how he needed help. Not a peep of negativity coming out of the club as soon as they clicked into gear.
A winning team is a happy team. At any sport at any level.

I played on a cricket team once that had three or four grade-A tools in it, but we won a premiership one year so nobody really rocked the boat and we all just went along with it. As soon as that side had a rough season, blokes jumped ship straight away because when we weren't winning it just wasn't fun being there any longer.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Green Hornet
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine / Josh Papalli

Post by Green Hornet »

I can't stress it enough, if only the Raiders had listened to the health advice!!!! :lol:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Timbo wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:51 am Reading some comments on social media it's amazing how quickly people seem to have taken the 'awww poor Curtis, Canberra threw him under the bus' bait from Scott hook, line and sinker.

To recap, he's had multiple alcohol related incidents in the 18 months he was on the books with us. He's been charged by police twice. Several of these incidents have seen him being unable to take the field for us, and the few times he has been on the field he's been very, very poor. He apparently caused problems within the playing group and there are rumors that the fight with Bateman aren't the only thing the club was able to keep secret.

The literal day before the club is going to make its announcement on his future which was obvious to everyone that it would result in his termination, he comes out and says 'I have mental health problems, I'm joining AA' which is just the most blatant attempt to get ahead of a bad news story I've ever seen. But all the comments I've read this morning are 'geez, who'd sign for the Raiders, first sign of trouble and they air your dirty laundry and throw you under the bus. What about poor Curtis' player welfare? What about his mental health?'

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading the number of comments that have fallen for the crap this bloke is shoveling.
There's a lot of pro-player sentiment on social media now, largely driven by Denan Kemp / Bloke in a Bar. The #justiceforcoreynorman thing against Fox League was ridiculous
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Storm in a pea cup.

If the idiot didn't get **** faced and fall asleep in the park, or pick a fight with his **** teammate, or punch out some random dude in a bar he'd have nothing to worry about. Let alone the issues he had on the turps in Melbourne.

One day the penny will drop with him that this isn't an issue about the club 'leaking' information on why he was sacked. The issue is that he created the issues in the first place. The club is perfectly entitled to explain to the public why Scott's contract was terminated.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Two issues here Seiffert:

1. Is Curtis a tool? Answer is yes and the club did the right thing to cut him. Happy with that.

2. Does the club handle these things appropriately. I am saying absolutely not but keen to hear others views.

Separate the two issues and tell me what you think on the second one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 24, 2021, 10:57 am Two issues here Seiffert:

1. Is Curtis a tool? Answer is yes and the club did the right thing to cut him. Happy with that.

2. Does the club handle these things appropriately. I am saying absolutely not but keen to hear others views.

Point 2. What should they have done with Scott?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont want to tell the Raiders how to do their jobs on this, but they should completely refuse to comment on this any further.
There was no need to leak info about his issues at the club. Just shut the **** up. And let it him talk.

A hard and fast "No comment." and let the news cycle die. Curtis Scott isnt good enough or important enough to keep a news cycle going on his own, he needs us to be going tit for tat with him

They should redirect any questions to the statement the club released.
If Scott wants to go down the path of wrongful termination, good luck to him, and we can no comment that until such time as the case is settled, which we can release another statement and no comment it again.

There is NO need for us to stoke this fire.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:02 am

Re your question See Bots’ comment above. Make the call back yourself and stick by your decision without being so insecure that you feel the need to justify through the media at the cost of burning trust in your playing group.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

The whole cry to Buzz thing cause i'm going to get sacked is an affront to people who are suffering mental health challenges. Sick of people playing that card as a get out of jail ticket.

Curtis you were handed the most amazing gift last year when it turns out the Police decided that because you were a drunk D-head they would go to town on you. You had the chance to show the world not only were they wrong for beating you, but they were wrong about you being a drunk d-head.

So what did you do? Made the choice to show everyone again that you are indeed a drunk d-head and break someone's nose. Sure you may have been provoked whatever; most people who assault others are to some degree, but as a professional sportsman who has a problem with alcohol to put yourself in that situation after the life changing incident from less than 12 mths ago? Zero sympathy from me and your cry to buzz was as embarrassing and pathetic as it was offensive to people who wrestle with mental health struggles and not just simple choices to go out on the booze and get in fights.

I backed the club with Williams and I back the club with Scott. Go and play tough guy in Kokomos as much as you want now. Maybe you can hit up instagram 'brah' and talk about how as a $500 000 per year employee you have been treated so harshly by your employer for simply enforcing standards expected of all others in the organisation.

Maybe don't hit up Bateman though cause see how that worked out for you last time?

Unfortunately, until people like this take responsibility for their actions and understand that those actions have real consequences, nothing is going to change. Instead of taking responsibility they call Buzz, play the mental health card and expect to be absolved from consequences.

Good luck in life Curtis; i feel you are going to need it with your 'everyone else is to blame except me' attitude.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Whatever drama there is around this on socials it'll be forgotten in a week. Curtis is about as effective on the field as an umbrella in a hurricane, this one will join Bronx Goodwin and Steve Irwin in the pile of forgotten sackings.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

You can’t just sack someone from a very public role and not elaborate as to why. Otherwise you’d have people going ‘they only sacked him because they felt they spent too much money on him and were trying to cut their losses, low act from the club and a terrible thing to do to Scott’.

The club is within their rights to say there have been a pattern of incidents, we handled them in-house, but Scott proved that he couldn’t or wouldn’t learn from these mistakes and just kept digging his own grave. Enough is enough.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:52 am You can’t just sack someone from a very public role and not elaborate as to why. Otherwise you’d have people going ‘they only sacked him because they felt they spent too much money on him and were trying to cut their losses, low act from the club and a terrible thing to do to Scott’.

The club is within their rights to say there have been a pattern of incidents, we handled them in-house, but Scott proved that he couldn’t or wouldn’t learn from these mistakes and just kept digging his own grave. Enough is enough.
Of course you can.
People can say whatever they like, as long as the termination is legal, you're under absolutely no obligation what so ever to say a damn thing. People talk, who gives a ****. Be professional, dont let yourself get dragged into a tit for tat PR battle you cant and wont win.

The Raiders put a statement out:

"The Board decided that Curtis Scott's prior behaviour and recent assault charge has brought the Club into disrepute, and they could not ignore this and the responsibilities that his NRL playing Contract entails.

The Board said the Club would continue to support Curtis Scott’s ongoing rehabilitation and it will be in contact with NRL Welfare in this regard.

The club will be making no further comment on the issue."

That's it. That's all that needs to be said and any journo seeking questions can be pointed back to that statement. If Curtis wants to tell his story, let him talk. Thats his business and we simply point back to our statement which references prior behaviour and no further comment.

You're not going to win the war of public sentiment. So dont bother trying. Having your HC leak like sieve to his media mates is far more destructive to our team and it's future than a Curtis Scott fluff piece that absolutely no one buys
Andy Preston
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Andy Preston »

I literally laughed upon hearing about claims of 'unfair dismsissal'. From my understanding there are clauses in the standard NRL player contract about upholding the values of the game and not bringing it into disrepute. Curtis clearly breached his contract three times (that we know of) so if delusion is a sign of poor mental health then he really needs help. Hopefully he seeks and finds that help, although threatening to waste money on legal fees doesn't bode well.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote:Two issues here Seiffert:

I understand there are many views about what the club should and should not have done here.

At the end of the day they are entitled to handle it any way they like, without defaming the player in question.

If the club wants to set high standards of player behaviour I have no qualms about them telling the public why a player has been sacked.

Will it bite them on the **** when it comes to negotiating with future players? Maybe... if those future players are worried about their bad behaviour being shared with the public. Do I want those types of players at the Raiders? No, no I don't.

So, in a nutshell, the player in question was the one that stuffed up. To date the club has done EVERYTHING possible to support him. Organising his legal representation, counselling and support, sticking by him despite his **** form.

So, have at it I say. The club should absolutely publicly signal what their behavioural standards are.

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Old School Green wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:17 am The whole cry to Buzz thing cause i'm going to get sacked is an affront to people who are suffering mental health challenges. Sick of people playing that card as a get out of jail ticket.

Curtis you were handed the most amazing gift last year when it turns out the Police decided that because you were a drunk D-head they would go to town on you. You had the chance to show the world not only were they wrong for beating you, but they were wrong about you being a drunk d-head.

So what did you do? Made the choice to show everyone again that you are indeed a drunk d-head and break someone's nose. Sure you may have been provoked whatever; most people who assault others are to some degree, but as a professional sportsman who has a problem with alcohol to put yourself in that situation after the life changing incident from less than 12 mths ago? Zero sympathy from me and your cry to buzz was as embarrassing and pathetic as it was offensive to people who wrestle with mental health struggles and not just simple choices to go out on the booze and get in fights.

I backed the club with Williams and I back the club with Scott. Go and play tough guy in Kokomos as much as you want now. Maybe you can hit up instagram 'brah' and talk about how as a $500 000 per year employee you have been treated so harshly by your employer for simply enforcing standards expected of all others in the organisation.

Maybe don't hit up Bateman though cause see how that worked out for you last time?

Unfortunately, until people like this take responsibility for their actions and understand that those actions have real consequences, nothing is going to change. Instead of taking responsibility they call Buzz, play the mental health card and expect to be absolved from consequences.

Good luck in life Curtis; i feel you are going to need it with your 'everyone else is to blame except me' attitude.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This isnt about "high standards of player behaviour" :lol:
God lord. Seiffert, wake up buddy. This is simply the club trying to win over public sentiment for the sacking. If it was about player standards with this club Jack Wighton wouldnt **** be here, mate :lol:

Those future players might not be worried about bad behaviour. But rather if they have some mental demons during their time here, if the the club is going to leak internal business to any tom, dick and harry on the fox sports panel

And even more concerning, as a parent, if you're deciding between sending your kid to Canberra for their professional development or club X... if its close, if you're 50/50... having the HC leak like a **** sieve to his media mates about internal matters, and the fire they've come under now for way they've dealt with players with "mental health" issues will give you plenty of reason to give this club a very wide berth as a parent. I can tell you i wouldnt send my son to this pack of idiots right now. Even though i dont really a lot of these mental health cards being played, the staggering lack of professionalism and understanding of how to play this game, with how they're handling this stuff would have me running to any other club.

It's undeniably a dreadful look and Stuart needs to pull his **** head, and keep his **** mouth shut, frankly. He's embarrassing himself and the club repeatedly with these leaks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Some fair points Seiff about setting and communicating standards and expectations. Our CEO has overseen all the behavioural related players sackings over the last decade or so. I can’t help but feel there is a sense here that we tolerate, perhaps enable, poor behaviours until enough is enough at which point we adopt a very high and mighty stance. The fact we covered up the Scott/Bateman incident is evidence of this. It’s no way to operate- a standard needs to be a standard, not just when it suits a purpose.

Not happy Don!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:13 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:02 am

Re your question See Bots’ comment above. Make the call back yourself and stick by your decision without being so insecure that you feel the need to justify through the media at the cost of burning trust in your playing group.
Fair enough. However if players (and managers) want to play the media PR game then they need to be prepared to cop it in return. Publicly playing the mental health card the day before your impending termination was the first shot fired.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 12:18 pm This isnt about "high standards of player behaviour" :lol:
God lord. Seiffert, wake up buddy. This is simply the club trying to win over public sentiment for the sacking. If it was about player standards with this club Jack Wighton wouldnt **** be here, mate :lol:

Those future players might not be worried about bad behaviour. But rather if they have some mental demons during their time here, if the the club is going to leak internal business to any tom, dick and harry on the fox sports panel

And even more concerning, as a parent, if you're deciding between sending your kid to Canberra for their professional development or club X... if its close, if you're 50/50... having the HC leak like a **** sieve to his media mates about internal matters, and the fire they've come under now for way they've dealt with players with "mental health" issues will give you plenty of reason to give this club a very wide berth as a parent. I can tell you i wouldnt send my son to this pack of idiots right now. Even though i dont really a lot of these mental health cards being played, the staggering lack of professionalism and understanding of how to play this game, with how they're handling this stuff would have me running to any other club.

It's undeniably a dreadful look and Stuart needs to pull his **** head, and keep his **** mouth shut, frankly. He's embarrassing himself and the club repeatedly with these leaks.
Completely agree and well said. Everyone here agrees with the Scott sacking, but there was no need to leak the Bateman fight. Who cares what the media say about his departure. I don't want this club to be on NRL 360 for the wrong reasons - like it was three days in a row during the G Williams departure. Does Ricky and Don know we have a game to play on Friday to potentially reach the finals? Wish Ricky would just concentrate on an improvement in performance, tactics and playing the game, rather than playing the media.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:This isnt about "high standards of player behaviour" Image
God lord. Seiffert, wake up buddy. This is simply the club trying to win over public sentiment for the sacking. If it was about player standards with this club Jack Wighton wouldnt **** be here, mate Image

Public sentiment! What are you talking about?

What section of the public gives a **** about this?

The section who likes seeing footballers punch on in a nightclub while performing **** on the park?

The difference with Wighton is that he's a good player.

C'mon now. No member of the public or fan base actually cares.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Can I also point out a glaring double standard here.

Quite rightly Curtis cops it for not reporting his Kokomo’s incident to the club until footage emerged and it was clear he wasn’t getting away with it.

Yet a year earlier the club was comfortable not reporting a fight between 2 players to the NRL integrity commission or the police because they successfully kept it in house.

Do as I say not as I do when it comes to Raiders culture hey.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

All Curtis has done is double down on why he deserved to be sacked. He’s not holding himself accountable for his decisions and cannot be trusted to fulfil the obligations of being a professional footballer at this club.

He should’ve just come out and apologised.

I’m glad we’ve sacked him and I hope he pulls himself together, elsewhere.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 24, 2021, 12:22 pm Fair enough. However if players (and managers) want to play the media PR game then they need to be prepared to cop it in return. Publicly playing the mental health card the day before your impending termination was the first shot fired.
All granted, however the why is we're the only club that seems to lower ourselves to play the PR game?
None of the good clubs do when relationships go Souths, players and talking heads talk, there is a news cycle and not a damn word comes out of the clubs.

Because they understand it. You cant win the PR battle. The public sentiment is always going to be on the players side. The way to win is to never give the story oxygen, and let the it die out in the natural 24-48 hour news cycle
The ONLY reason anyone in the league will still be talking about Curtis Scott and his sacking 3 days time is if we engage in a tit for tat battle... he cant sustain the news cycle on his own. He's not good enough or a big enough name, he's not well liked either by the general NRL public.

Stuart and this club breathing oxygen into does nothing. No one who is on Curtis's side is going to read that leak and suddenly go "oh, ok, i get he has mental health issues but fair enough then!" and no one who backs the club is going to hear Curtis's sob story and be like "Well, this very conveniently time fluff piece changes everything!"

Like no one is changing their mind. So you just have to be professional, give the "The matter has been dealt with, please refer to the statement we released. We will reiterate that we will continue to provide Curtis with support and assistance as long as he needs and wants it, and we have no further comment to make."
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:Some fair points Seiff about setting and communicating standards and expectations. Our CEO has overseen all the behavioural related players sackings over the last decade or so. I can’t help but feel there is a sense here that we tolerate, perhaps enable, poor behaviours until enough is enough at which point we adopt a very high and mighty stance. The fact we covered up the Scott/Bateman incident is evidence of this. It’s no way to operate- a standard needs to be a standard, not just when it suits a purpose.

Not happy Don!
Happens in every sporting code in the world... oh there's Ronaldo doing something dodgy over there... ok, let us turn around and look the other way... oh my that new recruit is sporting a very undesirable haircut... let's cut him shall we.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Laughable stuff from young Curtis here. The bloke was literally tearing his own contract up centimetre by centimetre with his own two hands for the past 18 months.

Who gives a **** what was leaked to the media. I’m surprised it didn’t get out earlier to be honest. The fact that he admits to all the F ups but then wants to play the victim because it is being played out publicly says it all.

If he doesn’t think he can handle being accountable publicly to members and fans, then professional rugby league isn’t for him.

The club (probably all 16 of them actually) has a history of covering up incidents but obviously when they see fit, they use the public domain to apply the pressure to push their case.

Who remembers Jack hurting his toe in a “trampoline” accident in his early days?

Mark Gasnier (I think?) slipping in the shower?

Cover ups are a part of professional sport. In this case, Curtis Scott didn’t deserve the right.

See ya!!