Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by afgtnk »

You can easily average them out yourself if you wanted to.

Try causes is a garbage stat. Pure subjective rubbish. You can be faced with a 6 on 1 overlap and still be credited with a try caused. It seems to give no consideration to the myriad of mistakes the defence can make beforehand that lead up to the try.

Like I've said before, the best judge of this are actually Tigers fans themselves. Just like we know our players better than anyone, they would theirs. I barely see any of them question his defence anymore. It is taken as fact that he has become solid. You'd be one of the few people still holding onto this, tbh - it's not even a thing anymore.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

We still talking about Luke Brooks 🤣🤣🤣
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: June 23, 2021, 11:14 am We still talking about Luke Brooks 🤣🤣🤣
Just a couple of people.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Raiders666 wrote: June 23, 2021, 11:14 am We still talking about Luke Brooks 🤣🤣🤣
I’d rather us play with 12
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

yeh raiders wrote:
Raiders666 wrote: June 23, 2021, 11:14 am We still talking about Luke Brooks ImageImageImage
I’d rather us play with 12
1 Luke Brooks is 1 too many, we don't need 12 of them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote: June 23, 2021, 9:58 am Seriously if yall are gunna just sit in there and argue the merits of who is right and who isnt we may as well change the **** thread title
Hahaha, honestly I'm enjoying your input to the discussion just as much as I'm enjoying the debate
Complains about a speculation thread containing speculation and discussion of potential players..

Checks out

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

With The Chad joining the Warriors mid season, I guess our interest in him for the remainder of this season was real…

Confirms my suspicions that the club are clueless with recruitment at the moment..
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

GreenMachine wrote: June 23, 2021, 11:19 pm With The Chad joining the Warriors mid season, I guess our interest in him for the remainder of this season was real…

Confirms my suspicions that the club are clueless with recruitment at the moment..
I'm not sure how you make that connection. Not saying we aren't clueless just not sure how Chad joining the warriors in any way proves that?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

FROG wrote: June 24, 2021, 5:03 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 23, 2021, 11:19 pm With The Chad joining the Warriors mid season, I guess our interest in him for the remainder of this season was real…

I'm not sure how you make that connection. Not saying we aren't clueless just not sure how Chad joining the warriors in any way proves that?
According to reports we tried to sign him….along with Dufty, Widdop … Hynes…
Please share the “ plan” with us…

Read the Cowboys forum… they want him to stay with the Warriors….over at the Warriors forum, they’d rather play with 12 men :roflmao

We are clueless…
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

BadnMean wrote: June 23, 2021, 8:24 am Finucane can play but I'm not sure what he adds that our other middles don't do? He's a good solid middle who makes his yards and tackles and not much else. Good player but Sutton or James do similar. Is the idea to add some starch/toughness?

Peachey can play and the new rules suit him. #14 yeah maybe but you don't pay much for a #14 and what you want from 14 really depends what else you have in the first 13. In my view we don't have room for him if we are still playing Hodgo and Starling. If the planning is for no Hodgo, it might make sense. Peachy and Whitehead as the ball playing locks could work. Whitehead if we want the size or to play tough, Peachey for if the game is opening up or we need to open it up. Tapine as a prop in that scenario. Never happen though. Bit of a gamble on a one time journeyman who the game has come back around to suiting but might be worth a punt. Genuinely creative. Not Ricky's type of player though.
Yes it depends on which direction as in playing style Ricky chooses to go.

From everything I've seen, heard and read about Finucane he'd bring some leadership, set a great example in training, add some mental toughness and I doubt he'd be the type who'd let his wife speak for him. He's also been a member of two clubs who have had great success and would have that winners attitude.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah im not understanding that connection at all either. Which isnt to say there is a cohesive plan in place here but IIRC reports squashed the Raiders interest in Townsend rumour pretty quickly. I don't think were ever interested in him
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 24, 2021, 8:55 am

Yeah im not understanding that connection at all either. Which isnt to say there is a cohesive plan in place here but IIRC reports squashed the Raiders interest in Townsend rumour pretty quickly. I don't think were ever interested in him
Look a what the Sharks are doing at the moment..

- Hired the coach they wanted.
- Identified the players they don't want and told them to start packing (including the half they recently signed who everyone here seems to think is the silver bullet to our problems....more like bullet to the head)
- Signed a young half/ fullback (good player who we all wanted)

That's called "a plan".

Now, tell me what gives you the impression we have a plan?...

- We started the season by recruiting a middle off an ACL injury (a position we never needed to recruit for).
- Played all our cadbury's favourites in the backline even though we knew they were past it...no speed, no power (clear to everyone at the start of the season)...
- Proceeded to rotate forwards for no apparent reason apart from our claim that we had the "best forwards in the comp"...blah blah blah..
- Sacked our halfback because our coach has a fuse shorter than the hair on a fly's legs...
- Told our Hooker and club captain he wasn't good enough for the starting gig....but good enough to not allow him to actually leave..
- Backflipped on our Hooker, now former club captain and allowed him to start games..
- Finally given the youngsters a go in the backline halfway through the season....
- Began discussions with two fullbacks while our fullback was recovering from injury....only to end / stall those discussions because we have a winger (who has been at the club since round 1 of 2019) who can play a bit of fullback (imagine finding $100 in your sock draw that you thought you lost two years ago)...
- Elevated our perennial second string halfback into first grade while proceeding to look at options who are older than our second string halfback because we somehow have it in our heads we are competing for the title at the moment...
- Continue to play conservative, boring, outdated football from 2019 even though every metric points towards the game requiring speed and decisive attack in order to tire your opposition and keep your team less fatigued to win football matches...
- Not a shred of evidence to suggest the club is considering hiring an attacking coach or SOMEONE with a clue around how to organise the team in attack.

Yeah you know what...I do see a plan after all....a plan to challenge the Broncos for the spoon.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: Literally no one said the club has a plan with what they're doing
I literally said in the post you quoted that it wasnt to say there is a plan and i've post a lot about how i dont think there is a cohesive plan in place

The posts in question were simply highlighting that Chad Townsend leaving for the Warriors mid season really doesn't really have any correlation to that what so ever. Which to be clear again, since it was missed the first time, is not saying they have a plan.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

So are you saying there’s a plan or not, Botman?
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

It's pretty simple.
We floated the idea of signing Chad for the remainder of the year.

Reached out to Chad, and got knocked back.
Im just, bicking back being bool
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

manbearpig wrote: June 24, 2021, 10:52 am It's pretty simple.

I don't think that's accurate.
The Townsend thing came out of a report from the DT saying only that we were "considering making a play" for him. As far as im aware, no such play was made, least i've not seen it reported anywhere that any move was made.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 24, 2021, 11:03 am
manbearpig wrote: June 24, 2021, 10:52 am It's pretty simple.

I don't think that's accurate.
The Townsend thing came out of a report from the DT saying only that we were "considering making a play" for him. As far as im aware, no such play was made, least i've not seen it reported anywhere that any move was made.
I think you will find it is accurate...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its entirely possible that it is and i missed the report
Source?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

radicalraider said so
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 24, 2021, 11:08 am Its entirely possible that it is and i missed the report
Source?
It came from Mick Ennis during a discussion on one of the Fox Sports programs..
It was definitely brought up - only to be squashed by Chad's manager who said he wasn't moving anywhere until next season. Then a few months later, he's off to the Warriors for the remainder of this season...
Where there's smoke, there's fire I say...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m guessing the Player Manager is the most likely source of any speculation. Been that way for decades.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Is that a BJ Mole scoop?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ wrote: June 24, 2021, 11:23 am I’m guessing the Player Manager is the most likely source of any speculation. Been that way for decades.
I don't think it was speculation..
Mick Ennis brought it up so I'd imagine (given his link to both clubs) it was proposed...and for whatever reason, Chad's side rejected it.

Anyway who cares right?
We caught lightning in a bottle in 2019 and chances of seeing that again for another 25 years are low if Ricky is the guy in charge / "planning" our future...
Were on a hiding to nothing.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:Is that a BJ Mole scoop?
“Player Manager proves to be potential source of media leak” even BJ Mole finds that too obvious to report. Image

In other news, BJ Mole reports an insider with good connections to the BOM has advised him of a decent chance of rain in Canberra today.

Noting I report this ‘after’ I got soaked heading for a coffee.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

:roflmao
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Beejay wrote: June 23, 2021, 10:08 am
julian87 wrote: June 23, 2021, 8:33 am

As a halfback (not footballer) Aidan Sezer was better than George Williams at essentially everything except scoring some nice tries and support play. Oh and grubbers.

Everything else more important for a halfback like organization, creating space, passing, kicking, awareness etc etc Sezer was better.

George Williams is a good 2nd (or even 3rd like he’s played his whole career in Wngland) half but he was diabolical at halfback paired with Wighton.
Apart from watching the games, which I would argue shows this statement to be incorrect. ALL of the statistics show this to be incorrect.
I missed the stats that measure any of those 😂
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: June 23, 2021, 11:04 am Y

Like I've said before, the best judge of this are actually Tigers fans themselves. Just like we know our players better than anyone, they would theirs. I barely see any of them question his defence anymore. It is taken as fact that he has become solid. You'd be one of the few people still holding onto this, tbh - it's not even a thing anymore.
And the best judge on him as a halfback are the most knowledgeable Tigers fans. And every single one of them that knows their **** own the fact that Luke Brooks is close to being their biggest problem. He’s not an exception to what is wrong in that team he’s the broken rudder.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

You've just made that statement up flat out from your ****. No hint of proof or evidence whatsoever, and no doubt totally subjective to what you consider 'the most knowledgeable Tigers fans'. Here's a read on their main forum, go enlighten yourself and see what the consensus is https://weststigersforum.com/topic/3096 ... B&page=260

I've just seen you suggest that Elliott Whitehead should effectively play halfback in another thread :lol: ****. I mean seriously. Absolute space cadet stuff.

Those 'most knowledgeable Tigers fans' are likely complete idiots just like you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

So we're now bemoaning missing out on Chad Townsend for the rest of 2021. This place. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I like that the posts immediately on the page from alsjddha’s links are exclusively negative :lol: :D

I’m sure there is some good and interesting back and forth on pages before but I’m not going to ruin a perfect bit by scrolling back into those pages
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Can't see a single post from anyone wanting The Chad.
Worrying that the club enquired about him for THIS season...but I'm sure Ricky has a plan here.... somewhere...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Going back a page, I'd have Origin quality Finucane in a heartbeat. Perfect replacement and team leader for Sia. He would lead the way on the training paddock as well which could be a remedy to our 2nd half fade outs. He is a competitor.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

30 year old declining middle forward whose biggest selling point seems to be his "leadership"

Yeah, im gonna take a hard pass on that. Reckon those sort of signings have a sub 15% success rate.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:I like that the posts immediately on the page from alsjddha’s links are exclusively negative :lol: :D

I’m sure there is some good and interesting back and forth on pages before but I’m not going to ruin a perfect bit by scrolling back into those pages
Andrés Escobar couldn’t have done that any better! Pick it up out of your net adafagab

Classic stuff
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote: June 23, 2021, 9:58 am Seriously if yall are gunna just sit in there and argue the merits of who is right and who isnt we may as well change the **** thread title
Hahaha, honestly I'm enjoying your input to the discussion just as much as I'm enjoying the debate
Complains about a speculation thread containing speculation and discussion of potential players..

Checks out

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Speculation is one thing but watching this thread turn into a cesspool of dribble where people have got to scroll through pages of crap to find anything meaningful is another.... its a little wonder the same core group of people are the only ones posting these days

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk