Canberra Raiders interest in Matt Dufty goes cold

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders join race for Matt Dufty

Post by GreenMachine »

mongoose wrote: June 11, 2021, 3:01 pm The Dragons no longer wanting Dufty is concerning. It's not like they're Penrith and have players in lower grades putting pressure on him. Who do the Dragons think they can get to replace him, Milford? lol
Fake news.
They have 2 players earmarked to play fullback in the lower grades..
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I think the most believable reasons in the linked articleare the salary cap issue and maybe his reluctance to take on constructive criticism. I'm sure Ricky will determine very quickly whether the latter is the case before telling Don Jnr to make it happen (or not).

The six reasons the Dragons don’t want Matt Dufty

From the outside looking in, few can understand why St George Illawarra have decided to part ways with in-form fullback Matt Dufty at the end of the season. The question is why are the Dragons letting Dufty go? The answer, according to several well-placed sources, is that some at the club believe that beyond his undeniable attacking prowess, there are weaknesses in Dufty’s game.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-si ... 57zwe.html
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like a story fed by someone at the Dragons. But in terms of defence and kick defusals, they’re reasonable concerns.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Is there a player who doesn't have some weaknesses in their game?

Even superman had his cryptonite
Vaccinated
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

In th case of his defence against those broncos tries, he was in the right place but a guy that sizenis never going to stop a guy that close to the line, they give an example of tommy and his defence but he's a much bigger body too.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lends weight to having two players on the wing who are solid under the high ball.

The bloke isn't as bad as Robinson in defence, nor Aekins. Still, it's a significant issue which needs to be considered.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Nothing in that article that we didn’t know or are prepared to take a risk on…
Go read the Dragons fan’s opinions…they are livid he is leaving…
That tells me all I need to know.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

This article might be the reason he's in green as soon as next week
Heisenberg
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Heisenberg »

That article is an absolute hatchet job. Straight from Hook’s notes?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

chris83 wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:31 am In th case of his defence against those broncos tries, he was in the right place but a guy that sizenis never going to stop a guy that close to the line, they give an example of tommy and his defence but he's a much bigger body too.
Tommy is the best FB in the game and would be on a million a season to get him now. Dufty for $500/600k is reasonable.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

BadnMean wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:50 am
chris83 wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:31 am In th case of his defence against those broncos tries, he was in the right place but a guy that sizenis never going to stop a guy that close to the line, they give an example of tommy and his defence but he's a much bigger body too.
Tommy is the best FB in the game and would be on a million a season to get him now. Dufty for $500/600k is reasonable.
This journo is despicable, it's one of a few recent articles he's written with a bious agenda.. he wrote the article against the Raiders with Panthers feud.. and he said on Sunday footy show he was at that Penrith game and joined them with the Viking clap.. he not only dislikes our club but he's salty as a dragons fan that dufty is leaving.. so it makes sense to write this trash
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:09 am Nothing in that article that we didn’t know or are prepared to take a risk on…
I’m not sure I trust a bunch of fans to convince me. I mean, imagine if people put stock into what they read from all the dribblers on here?
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

radicalraider wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:56 am
BadnMean wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:50 am
This journo is despicable, it's one of a few recent articles he's written with a bious agenda.. he wrote the article against the Raiders with Panthers feud.. and he said on Sunday footy show he was at that Penrith game and joined them with the Viking clap.. he not only dislikes our club but he's salty as a dragons fan that dufty is leaving.. so it makes sense to write this trash
I honestly haven't paid this journo any attention at all. So, you pointing all this stuff out makes it obvious why he was picked to get the behind the scenes "scoop". (LMAO).

I've checked out readers comments to that article in the meantime and there are some good points.

Firstly, if positional play is an issue, bring in a personal coach for him and the other fullbacks in the club. Slater was suggested as one possibility. Considering Ricky used to have a link with Minichello, he might be another possibility assuming he's stayed current.

Swapping Dufty out of fullback and into either centre or wing when the Raiders are in defence is another option. It seems like everyone here has mentioned that CNK could be the replacement for either Croker or Scott and he's played in the centres for NZ.

Finally, a light fullback fails to stop a heavy player on the burst from scoring a try. He fails once, but sets up or scores three to counter balance that? As long as we're not giving away dumb penalties within goal kicking range and converting tries, I think that should work out.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Rickmando wrote: June 12, 2021, 12:43 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:09 am Nothing in that article that we didn’t know or are prepared to take a risk on…
I’m not sure I trust a bunch of fans to convince me. I mean, imagine if people put stock into what they read from all the dribblers on here?
That’s true, however there are many non fan pundits (Billy Slater for example) scratching their heads at the decision…
More than enough to make you think about whether the Dragons are making the correct decision by allowing him to leave.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Listening to Brent Read this arvo he said there isn't much interest in him other than us. And he suggested because of that we could get him for 500k. Also said it would be a 2 year offer. For that you get it done.

Matt Dufty's NRL future now down to just one club

The race to sign Matt Dufty is now just down to one NRL club - the Canberra Raiders - with the Brisbane Broncos withdrawing their interest on Wednesday. Triple M's Brent Read revealed the latest update on his future on the Saturday Scrum.

Read more and audio: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/thanks ... lub-176207
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Have the Broncos simply ‘pulled out’ because he’s already agreed to terms with us and are trying to safe face of missing out on another player?

I’d say so.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This all feels like people trying real hard to get some defensible narrative out there about why he’s on the outer that doesn’t drive away all buyers.

At this point I’m beginning to suspect the guy eats the souls of small children.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Eats their souls spits them out as teenagers.. Its not pretty.. damn u dufty.. Oh but welcome to the raiders if u end up here

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Postman Pat wrote: June 12, 2021, 4:22 pm Have the Broncos simply ‘pulled out’ because he’s already agreed to terms with us and are trying to safe face of missing out on another player?

I’d say so.
That would be my read on this.
Better to get out in front of it and say you’re not interested than to be told “thanks but no thanks”
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Is Dufty required after last night?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No one is required after last night
We’ll never lose another game in our existence

Jesus Christ :lol:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think it does open a door for Sam Williams potentially. With a dangerous enough fullback, we may be able to carry a more backseat halfback

But that's just all the more reason to get Dufty, he mitigates that problem
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 1:44 pm
Rickmando wrote: June 12, 2021, 12:43 pm
That’s true, however there are many non fan pundits (Billy Slater for example) scratching their heads at the decision…
More than enough to make you think about whether the Dragons are making the correct decision by allowing him to leave.
The dragon's let McInnes go without a fight, now letting Dufty go. The dragon's appear to be clueless
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Canberra Raiders join race for Matt Dufty

Post by SeeBee101 »

Apparently FB fanboys think we don’t need Dufty now. Simmonson has played one decent game in his career! Wowers. It was against the second worst team in the league…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by SeeBee101 on June 13, 2021, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It truly boggles the mind
Simo had a very good game, but if people were impressed with him, wait till they see Dufty
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

As good as Simo was with two assists, Dufty played the same team recently and got 5 assists and 2 tries 😳
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I hope playing fullback builds Simo’s confidence.
There’s no reason why he couldn’t contribute more from the wing.
The coach and attacking staff need to bring him into the game more if he can’t naturally do it himself..
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 13, 2021, 1:37 pm As good as Simo was with two assists, Dufty played the same team recently and got 5 assists and 2 tries 😳
If anything it highlighted how little ball playing CNK was offering..
Dufty will be good here as long as we accept his defensive frailties…
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Dufty would've Campese'd the Broncos last night and made it very, very ugly for them.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

100%

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Simo's work rate was excellent last night, when Dufty gets here, if Simo holds his spot on the wing, taking a little of that with him back to the wing would be a good start.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Meanwhile, on the Broncos site they are lamenting the fact they just got carved up by Bailey **** Simonsson. :lol:

Seriously, I'm happy that they guy stepped up and delivered. Hopefully he backs it up. But destroying the worst team in the comp is not a reasonable measure of whether he's a serious option moving forward.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:Meanwhile, on the Broncos site they are lamenting the fact they just got carved up by Bailey **** Simonsson. Image

Seriously, I'm happy that they guy stepped up and delivered. Hopefully he backs it up. But destroying the worst team in the comp is not a reasonable measure of whether he's a serious option moving forward.
They'd get carved up by nan in a wheelchair atm. They are genuine rubbish

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:Simo's work rate was excellent last night, when Dufty gets here, if Simo holds his spot on the wing, taking a little of that with him back to the wing would be a good start.
He has always had the body language of a bloke completely lacking in confidence. Hopefully last night's game was a turning point.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

gergreg wrote: June 13, 2021, 4:19 pm
Botman wrote:Simo's work rate was excellent last night, when Dufty gets here, if Simo holds his spot on the wing, taking a little of that with him back to the wing would be a good start.
He has always had the body language of a bloke completely lacking in confidence. Hopefully last night's game was a turning point.

I think the freedom needs to be given by the coach. Players all just cant leave their lanes because they want to and i think half the supporter bases problem is they see rapa leaving his and wonder why simo never did the same
Dont delete this GE