All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by Timbo »

Jesus **** Christ.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:08 pm
Botman wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:01 pm
Geroge's Instagram Tweet has been liked by:

- Jack Wighton
- Josh Papalii
- Hudson Young
- Joe Tapine
- Jordan Rapana
- Sia Soliola
- Bailey Simonsson
- Corey Harawira-Naera
- Curtis Scott
- Harley Smith Shields
Blokes who liked that tweet who can easily enough be EDIT to no great loss of performance or culture (given current culture) and are on thin enough ice they'd earn far less or even nothing at other clubs..

Young
Rapana
Sia
Simo
CHN
C Scott
HSS...

Blokes who have liked that post who would be a loss.
Wighton
Papalli
Tapine...

Who also happen to be 3 of the dullest shovels in the shed so probably easily enough smoothed over. Shrug.
That’s exactly how I see it.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

He really picked the wrong club to pull the old Dugan/Fergo not playing card.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Someone explain to me the issue here? He asked for a release and got one. He wanted end of year, club said no you go now. I don't understand the issue. I have genuine sympathy for George and his family if they are struggling but if you break your contract you don't get to negotiate the terms of how to break that contract as far as I'm concerned.

The club probably doesn't want him to occupy the 7 for the rest of the year when we could free up cap space and prepare the position for other players. Not to mention, its not like he has been playing well despite the issues.
Last edited by Finite on May 25, 2021, 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Its a hard on to judge.

My opinion is he isnt mentally committed to the club. That's obvious with what he has dished out.

Question is does he have any real challenges he needs to overcome for his welfare. I hope he doesnt.

At least now he can draw a line in the sand and move forward.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Finite wrote:Someone explain to me the issue here? He asked for a release and got one. He wanted end of year, club said no you go now. I don't understand the issue. I have genuine sympathy for George and his family if they are struggling but if you break your contract you don't get to negotiate the terms of how to break that contract as far as I'm concerned.

The club probably doesn't want him to occupy the 7 for the rest of the year when we could free up cap space and prepare the position for other players. Not to mention, its not like he has been playing well despite the issues.
Exactly.

Now he can jump on a plane and fly home at the first opportunity, you’d think he would happy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:03 pm
Postman Pat wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:01 pm He’s after a payout now.
That’s exactly what he’s after...wrongful dismissal versus termination as a result of not performing your duties (training and playing)...

**** Perry Brothers Circus!
That's why i wish we could just ignore this nonsense. It's all just haggling for money... George wants his salary until the end of year, the Raiders want to not pay him a cent more.
Everything else is just posturing that ultimately lead to the same outcome that was coming anyways, a deal is struck in the middle ground.

That said, the Raiders if they weree really wanting to be pricks should simply say "accept the release effective immediate now, or see your contract... the choice is yours"
Im not sure that's a great idea, given we have enough trouble recruiting as it is, being seen as a club that doesnt treat its players well isnt a good spot for us.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Finite wrote:Someone explain to me the issue here? He asked for a release and got one. He wanted end of year, club said no you go now. I don't understand the issue. I have genuine sympathy for George and his family if they are struggling but if you break your contract you don't get to negotiate the terms of how to break that contract as far as I'm concerned.

Cash, it might take months to organize a flight now a days. Obviously thought he could have it all his own way.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finite wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:15 pm Someone explain to me the issue here? He asked for a release and got one. He wanted end of year, club said no you go now. I don't understand the issue. I have genuine sympathy for George and his family if they are struggling but if you break your contract you don't get to negotiate the terms of how to break that contract as far as I'm concerned.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:17 pm
GreenMachine wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:03 pm
Postman Pat wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:01 pm He’s after a payout now.
That’s exactly what he’s after...wrongful dismissal versus termination as a result of not performing your duties (training and playing)...

**** Perry Brothers Circus!
That's why i wish we could just ignore this nonsense. It's all just haggling for money... George wants his salary until the end of year, the Raiders want to not pay him a cent more.
Everything else is just posturing that ultimately lead to the same outcome that was coming anyways, a deal is struck in the middle ground.

That said, the Raiders if they weree really wanting to be pricks should simply say "accept the release effective immediate now, or see your contract... the choice is yours"
Im not sure that's a great idea, given we have enough trouble recruiting as it is, being seen as a club that doesnt treat its players well isnt a good spot for us.
Agree with what you’ve said.
We need to move and quickly in the player market and not let the stench of this dilemma linger...
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

My concern is that all our players seem to be on George's side. We can say all we want, toughen up blah blah, but it's a terrible predicament to be in moving forward if our players are not on the same page as the club.

CNK the latest to show his support.
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

nachopants wrote: May 25, 2021, 7:56 pm Geroge's Instagram Tweet has been liked by:

- Jack Wighton
- Josh Papalii
- Hudson Young
- Joe Tapine
- Jordan Rapana
- Sia Soliola
- Bailey Simonsson
- Corey Harawira-Naera
- Curtis Scott
- Harley Smith Shields
- Nick Cotric
Add CNK to the list!
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Postman Pat wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:17 pm

Cash, it might take months to organize a flight now a days. Obviously thought he could have it all his own way.
Exactly
Last edited by Finite on May 25, 2021, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Botman wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:18 pm
Finite wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:15 pm Someone explain to me the issue here? He asked for a release and got one. He wanted end of year, club said no you go now. I don't understand the issue. I have genuine sympathy for George and his family if they are struggling but if you break your contract you don't get to negotiate the terms of how to break that contract as far as I'm concerned.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

The rebuild might take less time than we thought

On the flipside, it might not be much of a rebuild 🤣
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Postman Pat wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:17 pm

Just checked , he can get a flight Saturday for under $800
There is no cap on how many can be on the flight leaving Australia

This is the same guy who had a whinge on social media when he got stuck in quarantine in Melbourne
He/his manager know how to use social media to get what they want
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Good luck George and thanks for the memories! I hope he is in a good place.

From the clubs perspective - not a good look. Almost like an ugly teenage breakup. I’ve got not drama with the outcome but Don has screwed up the process badly. Player upset, team down a half, fans unhappy, yuck!
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

Seamonkey wrote:
nachopants wrote: May 25, 2021, 7:56 pm Geroge's Instagram Tweet has been liked by:

- Jack Wighton
- Josh Papalii
- Hudson Young
- Joe Tapine
- Jordan Rapana
- Sia Soliola
- Bailey Simonsson
- Corey Harawira-Naera
- Curtis Scott
- Harley Smith Shields
- Nick Cotric
Add CNK to the list!
At least he has the excuse of still being drugged up after the operation! And/or he’s come around and gone **** Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think Hoops from NRL360 has come of worse tonight. Said one story and then George Williams fired back on Twitter.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

It’s simple.

George wants to go home.

Raiders say, since the season is dusted and we need to replace you, head off now.

George says ‘wait no, I would like the several hundred thousand dollars I would make by playing out the season’.

The club said ‘no’.

George is blowing up on social media because he played himself out of a tonne of money.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Timbo wrote:It’s simple.

George wants to go home.

Raiders say, since the season is dusted and we need to replace you, head off now.

George says ‘wait no, I would like the several hundred thousand dollars I would make by playing out the season’.

The club said ‘no’.

George is blowing up on social media because he played himself out of a tonne of money.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Well, we're in trouble as a club.
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

I wonder how many players ending up in opposition to the club for people to spot that it isn't a series of indepedent players that are the problem. Sack them all, bring in a whole new squad of ultra-loyal, ultra-professionals, and I expect that given a few years we'll end up in the same position as now.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Luffto wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:37 pm Well, we're in trouble as a club.
searing insight as always Luffto!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Seamonkey wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:21 pm

- Jack Wighton
- Josh Papalii
- Hudson Young
- Joe Tapine
- Jordan Rapana
- Sia Soliola
- Bailey Simonsson
- Corey Harawira-Naera
- Curtis Scott
- Harley Smith Shields
- Nick Cotric
Add CNK to the list!
Brad Schneider too
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Batemans made an appearance witha instagram story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Does Sia's support for G Williams mean that the GH assumption that he is going to seamlessly transition into the player welfare liaison once he retires is in jeopardy?
Up The Milk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Bovrick wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:38 pm I wonder how many players ending up in opposition to the club for people to spot that it isn't a series of indepedent players that are the problem. Sack them all, bring in a whole new squad of ultra-loyal, ultra-professionals, and I expect that given a few years we'll end up in the same position as now.
Players stick together now and see the clubs/the business as a bit of the enemy. Ok maybe not enemy but they're wary of getting bitten. You can see that kind of culture on the Bloke in a Bar podcast.

You're right we may end up in same spot but we can't just be a doormat. First Bateman with his grand final day shenanigans (and his onfield performances weren't nearly as good the next year, by the way), now this, I'm over it
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

There's every chance people are reading a bit too much into this tweet.

None of us were there today, none of us know what's happening inside his head.

He could well have gone into the meeting, been told an immediate release is granted and the paperwork is ready tomorrow, so he's technically signed nothing. Then at the end of a long and **** day for the bloke he sees a headline that makes him out to be a bad guy so he snaps back. Maybe he's a couple beers deep to chill out. The rest of the playing group like his post to show their mate a bit of support in a tough time. Pretty realistic scenario.

Or maybe its all about money, but its all speculation from us.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I'm not worried about the players liking the post, commenting would have been a different story
They like each other's posts no matter what, and i think its a bigger dig at the journo then the club
Also strongly suspect that its his manager posting tonight not him
Vaccinated
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Elcaptcroker wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:43 pm Batemans made an appearance witha instagram story

Our surprise

Imagined, it can be
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

The likes on this tweet are making me realise that we may be really, properly ****.

Like, Craig Frawley, Marc Herbert, David Howell ****.

Matt Bickersfaff ****.

Andrew Dunemann ****.

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Elcaptcroker wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:43 pm Batemans made an appearance witha instagram story

What does Johnny have to say?
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

afgtnk wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:48 pm

Our surprise

Imagined, it can be
Oh shut the **** up Jonneh. What he said was 100% true about you.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

hobbsy wrote: May 25, 2021, 8:47 pm There's every chance people are reading a bit too much into this tweet.

None of us were there today, none of us know what's happening inside his head.

He could well have gone into the meeting, been told an immediate release is granted and the paperwork is ready tomorrow, so he's technically signed nothing. Then at the end of a long and **** day for the bloke he sees a headline that makes him out to be a bad guy so he snaps back. Maybe he's a couple beers deep to chill out. The rest of the playing group like his post to show their mate a bit of support in a tough time. Pretty realistic scenario.

Or maybe its all about money, but its all speculation from us.
He's agitating for a release and prepared to sit out to make it happen. That is a big deal. Did he not understand that would be a big deal?! This isn't calling in sick to your McDonald's job.