Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: George Williams homesick for England?

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:42 pm
Bay53 wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:28 pm
Floydd wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:06 pm I'm not buying it. The only reason this story gets trotted out is usually for someone that is not happy where they are. If there is a will there is always a way, I lived overseas for 13 years and there was a period of 5 years I was unable to come home but we have all kinds of video platforms these days to keep us connected, I think there is smoke in this story, and that explains a few things of late.
Why were you unable to come home? Did you know that it was going to be the case when you left? How were your family going back home? Were they in lockdown for 18 months so were very miserable and possibly putting pressure on you to come home? Did you have a partner that knew nobody and was prevented from interacting with others?
You know, in a different way I could answer 'yes' to most of those questions at the time of the birth of our first child. It was tough, but we coped. I get that it's nice to have family around with a new child, but it's certainly not the end of the world if they are not.
And I'm sure if they had to do it, if there were no other viable options, or they saw there was enough value to justify it, George and his partner could cope as well. They may well still decide that is what they are going to do.

But they don't have to, they don't need to make it harder on themselves, to endure and to cope just so George can play footy for the Canberra Raiders unless they feel that sacrifice is worth it.
They have other options and it's up to them to decide whether what sacrifices they're willing to make. And the determination of what is "worth it" is their decision alone to make, and i personally think given the climate we are in with this pandemic, the impact it's had on people cut off from their families... it's a decision we should respect which ever way they decide to go.

I really hope he stays. He's a really good player and probably someone the club was looking to build around. I think I'd be wanting to stay if were in his shoes. But then I'm the sort of guy who has enjoyed the pandemic forcing me to work from home. I'm not generally very social, i love my family but it suits me just fine talking to them via phone or text and not seeing them in person very often. I'm more than happy just spending my free time with my wife and kids and no one else. My sister however is totally different. She'd have been gone a year ago in George's shoes.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The fact were talking about "holding him for the remainder of his tenure" speaks volumes...
I like George primarily because there are no other realistic options...but if he's clearly not committed we need to start thinking about a long term 7.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Cut out the personal attacks please.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:33 am Cut out the personal attacks please.

Apologies, the number of trolls and idiots that seem to flood to this site whenever we're "in crisis" always really gets to me.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I apologies for my friend, he's drunk.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:44 am

I apologies for my friend, he's drunk.
Pffffft. I've only had a few beers.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Like most people on here I hope we keep George Williams. Bay53 yours was a brilliant post on the effects of missing family. Just Fantastic reading.

If he leaves and we find ourselves in a bidding war I hope it is for someone like the Panthers, Matt Burton. A very cool customer playing great footy away from his favoured half back position. He is a player originating from Country NSW. He has a calm quality about his play we could use.

But to me we absolutely must get our defence back in order and aggressive.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

The Raiders could probably bring his whole family out for a year. It would likely less cost than SBW's 2 week quarantine for his family in the 5 star penthouse which wasn't included in the cap last year.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

RedRaider wrote: May 6, 2021, 2:46 pm Like most people on here I hope we keep George Williams. Bay53 yours was a brilliant post on the effects of missing family. Just Fantastic reading.

If he leaves and we find ourselves in a bidding war I hope it is for someone like the Panthers, Matt Burton. A very cool customer playing great footy away from his favoured half back position. He is a player originating from Country NSW. He has a calm quality about his play we could use.

But to me we absolutely must get our defence back in order and aggressive.
Burton has already signed with the dogs.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I don't want Williams to go but if he is going to go then he needs to get it in order. We don't want to be dealing with replacements in the off season after all viable options are already locked up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Elliott Whitehead says halfback George Williams committed to see out at least 2021 season

England international George Williams is committed to seeing out the 2021 NRL season, but the final year of his Canberra Raiders contract could still be up in the air.

"I understand where he's coming from. He's having a newborn child as well. It's going to be tough, but he's definitely not going home. Hopefully they can sort stuff out and he can stay. He's fully committed for the rest of the season, so we'll see where he's at come the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If George needs to return to England at the end of the year, that's totally understandable and everyone would support him in that decision I'm sure. But the Raiders sort of need to know now if that's going happen...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: May 6, 2021, 6:35 pm If George needs to return to England at the end of the year, that's totally understandable and everyone would support him in that decision I'm sure. But the Raiders sort of need to know now if that's going happen...
I don't think we can afford to go down the "wait until the end of season and then we'll see how you're going" path on this. I'm 100% with you, if we know now that he's going, we might have a shot at picking up a decent replacement. It will be slim pickings at the end of the season.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Gareth Widdop might be a chance of swapping with Williams he is playing with Inglis in Halifax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Get back the Ten wrote: May 6, 2021, 7:25 pm Gareth Widdop might be a chance of swapping with Williams he is playing with Inglis in Halifax

TBH, I’d take that swap. Widdop would be a great foil for Wighton and he is a kicker too. Get 2-3 years out of him and then hopefully one of a younger halves can take over
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Get back the Ten wrote: May 6, 2021, 7:25 pm Gareth Widdop might be a chance of swapping with Williams he is playing with Inglis in Halifax

The Raiders have already, reportedly, ruled that out. And it's a good call.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams: Wigan Warriors head coach Adrian Lam admits interest in half-back's return

Adrian Lam says Wigan Warriors will hold talks with Canberra Raiders half-back George Williams over a potential return in 2022.

Canberra have confirmed the England international, who is in the second season of a three-year contract, is homesick due to being separated from friends and family in this country by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Read more: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... cks-return
LastRaider
John Ferguson

George Williams homesick for England?

Post by LastRaider »

The club just needs to cut ties now. Honestly do you think his partner with a new born is going to become unhomesick once the baby is born? It’s going to get worse!

Time to get in the half back market ASAP. We can’t end the season short a halfback with no options coming into 2022
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Disappointing but it sounds like it's inevitable

I would consider Ash Taylor or Milford on one year deals, at the right price... I know they've both been disappointing, but there aren't any other options and they're not fundamentally bad players. Shaun Johnson too but I don't think he'd come here. Albert Kelly?? Still only 30

Someone mentioned Mitchell Pearce... I'd normally shudder at the thought but we could do worse, he is an organising half. He players with ticker, I dare say he's a Sticky type player

But agree, if we wait too long we'll just get no one
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I say we have a little whisper in Adrian Lams ear and say ‘if you want our boy, get us your boy’.

Lachlan Lam now has his path well and truly blocked at the roosters with the emergence of Walker, and Keary to return. That signing would offset Jack’s age and set us up for a number of years to develop him into a long term half. He would come into a team with a Daly M 5/8, and a hooker with finals experience, and an international at fullback. He wouldn’t be required to be the main lynchpin in our spine, allowing him to develop. If he signs with virtually any Sydney team looking for halves he will be required to play a larger role before he is ready.

Get on it Stick.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 6, 2021, 6:35 pm If George needs to return to England at the end of the year, that's totally understandable and everyone would support him in that decision I'm sure. But the Raiders sort of need to know now if that's going happen...
Exactly.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Coastalraider wrote: May 7, 2021, 6:15 am I say we have a little whisper in Adrian Lams ear and say ‘if you want our boy, get us your boy’.

Lachlan Lam now has his path well and truly blocked at the roosters with the emergence of Walker, and Keary to return. That signing would offset Jack’s age and set us up for a number of years to develop him into a long term half. He would come into a team with a Daly M 5/8, and a hooker with finals experience, and an international at fullback. He wouldn’t be required to be the main lynchpin in our spine, allowing him to develop. If he signs with virtually any Sydney team looking for halves he will be required to play a larger role before he is ready.

Get on it Stick.
Ive not seen more of a passenger in a gun team than Lam at the start of this year for a long time. Hard pass for me.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

GreenMachine wrote: May 7, 2021, 6:39 am
Exactly.
The Raiders need to assume he'll be leaving. And to be fair, reading between the lines, I think they are
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star George Williams' preference is to go back to England at end of the 2021 season

Canberra Raiders halfback George Williams' preference is to return to England at the end of the NRL season, with Warrington shaping as the most likely destination for the England international. He's contracted to Canberra to end 2022. Williams' camp will meet with the Canberra hierarchy over the coming weeks to find a solution.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He should have to buy out of the contract

He shouldn't be allowed to be released Scott free

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

-TW- wrote: May 7, 2021, 5:51 pm He should have to buy out of the contract

He shouldn't be allowed to be released Scott free

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I agree he should be forced to take Curtis with him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The transfer fee is the bigger issue. If it happens, it would be twice that the Raiders have paid big transfer fees to English clubs, to sign players to three year contracts... and the players have left a year early.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

This one is worse than Bateman IMO. With Bateman we had a bargain from day one, he was the complete package when he arrived. On Williams performances so far we’ve hard a really bad ROI, and he seems to be checked out after 16 months. We took a flyer on him after the GF in 2019 and it has backfired.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

If williams heads back to england, i reckon ricky and the scouts will start to look at othe places to start getting them from

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 7, 2021, 6:54 pm This one is worse than Bateman IMO. With Bateman we had a bargain from day one, he was the complete package when he arrived. On Williams performances so far we’ve hard a really bad ROI, and he seems to be checked out after 16 months. We took a flyer on him after the GF in 2019 and it has backfired.
Did he not win GH player of the year, last year?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

MrPosh wrote: May 7, 2021, 7:25 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 7, 2021, 6:54 pm This one is worse than Bateman IMO. With Bateman we had a bargain from day one, he was the complete package when he arrived. On Williams performances so far we’ve hard a really bad ROI, and he seems to be checked out after 16 months. We took a flyer on him after the GF in 2019 and it has backfired.
It's a tough audience
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

MrPosh wrote: May 7, 2021, 7:25 pm
I don't put a whole lot of value in that. He was inconsistent last year, overall good. This year he's struggling.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His struggles this year are probably not unrelated to the topic at hand, i would think
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: May 7, 2021, 6:47 pm The transfer fee is the bigger issue. If it happens, it would be twice that the Raiders have paid big transfer fees to English clubs, to sign players to three year contracts... and the players have left a year early.
Sadly that is Covid for you.

I honestly believe that if it wasn’t for Covid Bateman would still be in the NRL. Whether that would be with us, might be a different matter.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The Rugby League World Cup is an interesting one isn’t it? It looks to me like the UK is planning on opening up in June with most of the population vaccinated.

I expect they will be desperate to have the World Cup, but if 80% of the players are based in Australia / NZ and they have to quarantine for 2 weeks on return, I can’t see the NRL clubs allowing it to happen.

Personally, if we are allowed out of the country, and the election looks like it will be next year, I would seriously consider using some of my 630k Qantas points and going.