Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed co-captain

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed co-captain

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos considering shock play for Canberra Raiders star Josh Hodgson

The rumblings of discontent in Canberra are set to escalate, with the Brisbane Broncos talking about luring Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson to the club next season.

The Broncos feel there is reason to believe Hodgson and the Raiders might not be on the same page when it comes to the Englishman’s future at the club, which stems from the emergence of impressive young hooker Tom Starling. The Broncos aren’t the only club monitoring the situation.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bronco ... 57ou9.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Broncos considering shock play for Raiders star Josh Hodgson

Post by greeneyed »

Isaac Moses is deregistered but still messing with clubs. Raiders said to be aware of Broncos interest, no request for an early release (contracted to the end next year), but Raiders also not yet moving to extend him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I doubt we'll extend him

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Reports Hodgson has stood himself down as captain two weeks ago. Brent Read on NRL 360.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ooooh lordy

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

So what the f@#$ is going on? Could someone with insight pls share

Hodgson stands down as captain, the Tapine situation, Papa, GWilliams. Only in the space of a few weeks.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Stood down as captain because he's not really injured, just dropped, I would think.
Last edited by Finchy on May 4, 2021, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I'm going to say it. Hodgson was a brilliant recruit and arguably the best hooker we have had since Walters. But the game has changed and I feel like now that we have two halves who have shown the ability to control and run the game, Hodgo has not adapted. While he can undoubtedly still produce moments of brilliance, I think we are a better football TEAM with Starling as our hooker.

I would be sad due to nostalgia reasons, but not unhappy if Hodgo was to move on. .
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

How's Trevilyn going?
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Does anyone think we may have seen Hodgo play his last game in green? Barring any unforeseen injuries to Starling or Havili, I have a feeling he's done as a Raider. Like the Tapine, Papa, and GWilly situation, I have a feeling a few release requests are coming...
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

IBG wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:46 pm I'm going to say it. Hodgson was a brilliant recruit and arguably the best hooker we have had since Walters. But the game has changed and I feel like now that we have two halves who have shown the ability to control and run the game, Hodgo has not adapted. While he can undoubtedly still produce moments of brilliance, I think we are a better football TEAM with Starling as our hooker.

I would be sad due to nostalgia reasons, but not unhappy if Hodgo was to move on. .
Agree with all of this. Those first few years were great and he was the catalyst for further recruitment after his initial successful period with us.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Holy Smokes! We can live without Hodgo - I think his best footy is behind him and it will be what it will be BUT what the hell is happening??? You’d love to think this is all part of some broader master plan to move selected players on but seems more like things unraveling very quickly.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I appreciate everything Hodgson has done for our club but I really don't think this would be the worst outcome. It would free up some money for us to pursue somebody like Hynes or Manu at fullback and possibly a half if we can't hold on to George Williams. I just hope that we sort all of this out sooner rather than later because there is talent on the market available to sign now... but if this drags out, potential recruits will be locked in to new deals.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I blame the Curse of Sterlo. As soon a Sterling declared Hodgo a better hooker than Cam Smith after the first Storm game last year, his form fell off a cliff and never returned. And Cam Smith retired a premiership winner. Thanks Sterlo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Josh Hodgson reportedly stood down as co-captain two weeks ago

Post by greeneyed »

It was also said on NRL 360 that Jarrod Croker has abandoned his social media accounts a few weeks ago, as he has been berated by fans over form.

Re Joe Tapine, Paul Kent said that the idea that Stuart and Joe Tapine had some sort of confrontation is not true, denied by Ricky Stuart. He had a team meeting with the players saying that the club is bigger than one social media post.

Also Stuart also reportedly gave the message that the club is bigger than any individual, now up to Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine get their house in order and play well.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

greeneyed wrote:It was also said on NRL 360 that Jarrod Croker has abandoned his social media accounts weeks ago, as he has been berated by fans over form.
That's sad to hear

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Again, if Hodgo relinquished the captaincy a few weeks ago, I'd say it's because he was never injured, just dropped. Massive ego hit. Croker might be in the same boat shortly.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:44 pm So what the f@#$ is going on? Could someone with insight pls share

Hodgson stands down as captain, the Tapine situation, Papa, GWilliams. Only in the space of a few weeks.
Someones got to know something about this stuff, there cant be this much smoke billowing about the last few weeks
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They aren't winning, pretty simple

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

That garry fella has been fairly spot on with a lot of his stuff
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I hate my life
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I honestly believe if CNK didn't get his neck snapped during that Panthers game, all of this circus isn't happening. At least not yet. His injury highlighting the other massive issues in our side has brought all this to a head.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:57 pm It was also said on NRL 360 that Jarrod Croker has abandoned his social media accounts weeks ago, as he has been berated by fans over form.
That is poor form. I’m not a Croker fan and have let my views be known here -but I think this is very ugly behaviour that’s just not on.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

The Crookwell Witch has to be behind all this
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

The NRL360 team also called out the form and efforts of Papalii and Tapine. They basically said that Tapine’s bench time reflects his form not mismanagement.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

IBG wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:46 pm I'm going to say it. Hodgson was a brilliant recruit and arguably the best hooker we have had since Walters. But the game has changed and I feel like now that we have two halves who have shown the ability to control and run the game, Hodgo has not adapted. While he can undoubtedly still produce moments of brilliance, I think we are a better football TEAM with Starling as our hooker.

Interesting. both are terrific individual players but the common gripe is neither has really ever consisitently controlled the game or been an organising half.

As benji marshall said on nrl360 while hodgson sometimes does to much he is by far the best at controlling the team out of the options we have.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Green Blogger wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:20 pm The NRL360 team also called out the form and efforts of Papalii and Tapine. They basically said that Tapine’s bench time reflects his form not mismanagement.
Those guys are huge Rick apologists. Whatever public message our Super Coach wants out there - they are always the mouthpieces to deliver it
Finchy
Jason Croker

Re: Josh Hodgson reportedly stood himself down as co-captain two weeks ago

Post by Finchy »

This article is a little old now, but some interesting comments from Hodgo re: Sticky. How quickly things change...

I feel like I lost a part of myself in December: Josh Hodgson

We all hate being written off here in Canberra and I’m sick of sitting at home watching the finals on the telly. The Raiders should consistently be in the finals, at the very least. We have everything needed to go all the way.

Things are a little different here this year and a lot of that is down to Ricky Stuart. Sticky been a lot calmer this season compared with previous years. He is actively seeking more input from the senior players. We have been encouraged to approach him and share our thoughts on just about everything – from team selections, to issues arising from training, to ideas regarding the games.

Read more: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/josh-ho ... rs-pledge/
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

**** what an absolute downfall we are witnessing at this club.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raider47 wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:31 pm **** what an absolute downfall we are witnessing at this club.
Break out the ladder and put the cruisers on ice - let’s do this thing properly
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:57 pm It was also said on NRL 360 that Jarrod Croker has abandoned his social media accounts a few weeks ago, as he has been berated by fans over form.

Re Joe Tapine, Paul Kent said that the idea that Stuart and Joe Tapine had some sort of confrontation is not true, denied by Ricky Stuart. He had a team meeting with the players saying that the club is bigger than one social media post.

Also Stuart also reportedly gave the message that the club is bigger than any individual, now up to Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine get their house in order and play well.
Abandoned as in still has his Instagram account active?

Because it is active right now.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

-TW- wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:03 pm They aren't winning, pretty simple

Here's the answer to it all.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Ahhhhh yes I see that we know our meltdowns well. Good one.
Up The Milk
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

I would be sad due to nostalgia reasons, but not unhappy if Hodgo was to move on.
Blah blah blah the game has changed blah blah blah. :roll:

Neither Williams nor Wighton have ability to run the game. Both are running five eighths and both lack football IQ and game management. Hodgson is the cerebrum of the team. If we are a in pickle Hodgo is the one who can dig us out. And even he is not that good in that role, just the best we got. Wighton to a lesser extent but Williams is VERY passive for a half back.

Without Hodgo, as good as Starling is as as a sugar hit, the team has very little to no creativity or imagination. Look at what happened last week without Hodgo or Williams, we had no plan other than to “play fru the middle”

Hodgo isnt done yet. Cam Smith was still killing it in his mid to late 30s, and they are both very similar styled players. It’s frustrating seeing Raiders fans wanting to release our best players like Hodgo, Williams etc on some ridiculous platitude that the “game has changed” or we can sign <insert name> and they will drop everything to come play for a crumbling club like the Raiders.