Knights 13+
13%

Total votes: 23

Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Re: 2021 Rd 9 V Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by Knotincelly22 »

afgtnk wrote: April 30, 2021, 10:57 am Problem I'm seeing with Starling is that you're taking away so much of his effectiveness by not having a someone with speed trail through the ruck with him. It's a massive waste playing him without one.

Honestly could've had 2-3 tries last night from the runs he made last night that amounted to nothing in the end.
This is where CNK can take his game to the next level. We are wringing our hands about whether the ball playing will ever develop but his goal line defence has improved markedly. He just needs to diffuse bombs and be the support player when a break is made. I will settle for that.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I don't agree that Simo is a plodder or that he's got no prospects. He and Croker were an absolutely lethal combination in 2019. One of the many reasons I've been so frustrated that Stuart keeps switching the wingers.

But with that said, he has been quiet this year and defensively he was poor on Thursday night.

If Kris' ankle is shot then we have to look to Timoko - or we have to ask how Croker's shoulder is going. Hopefully better than expected.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

More importantly we should of kept Tevita pangai.... best forward in the game
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

radicalraider wrote:More importantly we should of kept Tevita pangai.... best forward in the game
Best forward in the game Two games a year. Most inconsistent forward in the game 20 games a year.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:58 am
afgtnk wrote: April 30, 2021, 10:57 am Problem I'm seeing with Starling is that you're taking away so much of his effectiveness by not having a someone with speed trail through the ruck with him. It's a massive waste playing him without one.

Honestly could've had 2-3 tries last night from the runs he made last night that amounted to nothing in the end.
This is where CNK can take his game to the next level. We are wringing our hands about whether the ball playing will ever develop but his goal line defence has improved markedly. He just needs to diffuse bombs and be the support player when a break is made. I will settle for that.
The problem is he's not supporting the play - hence why I want a replacement to come in. Doesn't seem to have the natural instinct for it, and possibly the fitness.

You can only wait so long for a guy to develop, until you realise that he's just not going to pick something up. We simply don't have multiple years to waste here in hope that he may do it.
Last edited by afgtnk on May 1, 2021, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Knotincelly22 wrote:

Issue with this is he has the pace of a turtle. We have seen a few breaks amount to nothing because the man with the ball is slowing up trying to get CNK into the play. He has a lot of strengths bur this is not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

1. Aekins
2. Simonsson
3. Kris/croker/timoko
4. Scott
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papa
9. Starling
10. Lui
11. CHN
12.whitehead
13. Tapine
14. James
15. Guler
16. Sutton
17. Timoko
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I hope Rapana is kept on the right for this game. Took some awful reads from Bailey to finally make it happen
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Elliott Whitehead
7. Jack Wighton
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Ryan James
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Joe Tapine
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Tom Starling
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Emre Guler
17. Sam Williams

18. Sia Soliola

Resting Sutton and assuming Croker, Williams and Kris are unavailable. Young needs a stint in Reserve Grade to find form, he has no confidence at present.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Rick wrote: May 1, 2021, 11:55 am
Knotincelly22 wrote:

Issue with this is he has the pace of a turtle. We have seen a few breaks amount to nothing because the man with the ball is slowing up trying to get CNK into the play. He has a lot of strengths bur this is not one of them.

I am increasingly frustrated with the fact that Bailey is NOT a winger. He's fast, he's big, he fits the stats sheet for being a winger, but he makes dumb reads in defence, and he offers nothing in attack.
A few weeks ago, a kick was put through for him, and he ran past Sivo (Parramatta?) like he was standing still. The boy has speed - but I am more than confident he has never actually been in the open with the ball.

Is there any issue with playing Bailey at fullback in attack so he can roam AKA Ryan Sonic the Hedgehog Pappyuenhaouseian and let Caleb or Charnze run defence? It's unconventional but it's worth trying. He has speed to burn, and needs to be active. It may also open up the halves who for the love of god need to offer more than running to the right side of the field and throwing an inside ball, or doing the oh so predictable Williams, Wighton, Whitehead combination. It was amazing the first 4,504 times - now it's a bit predictable. Even for the crowd.

Things need to be shaken up, and at this point I'm open to Starling moving to five/eighth, Wighton to Centre, Bailey to fullback and Toots to the wing. It gets Hodgson back in the team, it provides relief for Tommy while he learns his trade, and lets Jack just RUN the ball.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Love4Noa wrote: May 1, 2021, 2:34 pm
Is there any issue with playing Bailey at fullback in attack so he can roam AKA Ryan Sonic the Hedgehog Pappyuenhaouseian and let Caleb or Charnze run defence? It's unconventional but it's worth trying. He has speed to burn, and needs to be active. It may also open up the halves who for the love of god need to offer more than running to the right side of the field and throwing an inside ball, or doing the oh so predictable Williams, Wighton, Whitehead combination. It was amazing the first 4,504 times - now it's a bit predictable. Even for the crowd.

Things need to be shaken up, and at this point I'm open to Starling moving to five/eighth, Wighton to Centre, Bailey to fullback and Toots to the wing. It gets Hodgson back in the team, it provides relief for Tommy while he learns his trade, and lets Jack just RUN the ball.
Being a great backer upper requires a lot of instinct for the game though. Guys who are great at it are ever alert, always switched on and generally also fantastic at reading the play defensively- Slater, Teddy in recent times (even if Slaters size prevented him from always being A+ effective when he did read in defence), in past eras Terry Lamb or Steve Menzies. Simo hasn't shown any glimpses of that. Rapana got more going with Scott in one game than Simo all year because he actually is a really smart support player, always alert kind of guy.

Who is your halfback btw?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wouldn't be surprised if Simmonson gets cut for Timoko

Ricky has shown that he's happy to cut players for underperforming, and that left edge has conceded the majority of our tries so far

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bailey hasn't played 50 games yet. Our centres and wingers rarely get any quality ball. Tough crowd pinning those defensive reads purely on him when on several occasions it was 5 or 6 on 3. I thought it was one of his better games on Thursday.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

BadnMean wrote: May 1, 2021, 5:00 pm
Love4Noa wrote: May 1, 2021, 2:34 pm

Being a great backer upper requires a lot of instinct for the game though. Guys who are great at it are ever alert, always switched on and generally also fantastic at reading the play defensively- Slater, Teddy in recent times (even if Slaters size prevented him from always being A+ effective when he did read in defence), in past eras Terry Lamb or Steve Menzies. Simo hasn't shown any glimpses of that. Rapana got more going with Scott in one game than Simo all year because he actually is a really smart support player, always alert kind of guy.

Who is your halfback btw?
Williams. George.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: May 1, 2021, 6:47 pm Bailey hasn't played 50 games yet. Our centres and wingers rarely get any quality ball. Tough crowd pinning those defensive reads purely on him when on several occasions it was 5 or 6 on 3. I thought it was one of his better games on Thursday.
Nah they were bad reads apparently. Should be stopping those, regardless of how many numbers were on him. My coach in under 10s would've been livid with it if I did that; in fact, I'd be able to stop that sitting in my arm chair.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

I don't understand why our gameplan isn't built around defence and why our entire offseason wasn't focused on stone walling teams out of contests?

- We have, arguably, the two best defensive halves who are not natural ball players.

- We lack genuine speed in our back five, Raps and Croker are aging and we have an excellent defensive fullback.

- In the forwards Hodgo, Whitehead and Papa are all getting on in their careers (not to mention Sia) and our pack is full of youngsters who would benefit from a simple structure based on high completions and starving the opposition of possession and field position.

There is no shame in scoring 14 points and winning games. We just don't have the attacking flair or points in us that the top 5 sides do, so why we don't adapt and play to our strengths is beyond me.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Scared Hitless wrote:I don't understand why our gameplan isn't built around defence and why our entire offseason wasn't focused on stone walling teams out of contests?

- We have, arguably, the two best defensive halves who are not natural ball players.

- We lack genuine speed in our back five, Raps and Croker are aging and we have an excellent defensive fullback.

- In the forwards Hodgo, Whitehead and Papa are all getting on in their careers (not to mention Sia) and our pack is full of youngsters who would benefit from a simple structure based on high completions and starving the opposition of possession and field position.

There is no shame in scoring 14 points and winning games. We just don't have the attacking flair or points in us that the top 5 sides do, so why we don't adapt and play to our strengths is beyond me.
Have you watched any games since May 2020

14-12 slug fests are a thing of the past

Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

I think Bailey has shown enough improvement to keep with him.

I also think the rest of the backline has more question marks over them then he does.

Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson

Post by Scared Hitless »

-TW- wrote: May 1, 2021, 8:56 pm
Scared Hitless wrote:I don't understand why our gameplan isn't built around defence and why our entire offseason wasn't focused on stone walling teams out of contests?

It was wishful thinking, I know. The NRL thinks like the ICC which is to say sport can't be entertaining unless it is all out attack and scoring. So they adjust the rules accordingly.

What would Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson do with our roster if they inherited it? Ricky seems clueless at the moment and all our young guys coming through don't look to be getting a crack anytime soon.
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

1. Adam Cook
2. Semi Valemei
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Ryan Sutton
9. Tom Starling
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Josh Hodgson
15. Josh Papalii
16. Ryan James
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Assuming Kris is out and hoping that George is right to go. CHN should be dropped completely for his stupidity but unfortunately we need his versatility and hope getting sent to the bench sends a message. I don't think I've seen Aekins attempt one covering tackle to save a try or even be in a position to do so, complete passenger and I liked the effort Cook brought last year and think he deserves another crack in fg if he's available.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton backs Latrell Mitchell's stance

Dally M Medallist Jack Wighton says cyber bullying is a massive issue that's costing people's lives, revealing both he and his Canberra Raiders teammates have been victims of cyber abuse.

"Not so much racist, mine's more cyberbullying," Wighton said. "'Trell' took the racist thing to cyberbullying and that's what I liked. He's backing the racism side of things, but he's also backing that wide span of cyberbullying. It's a huge issue because cyberbullying is massive and lots of people lose their life over it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hey Lucy, he’s talking about you, ****.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think there's a lot of merit to having to verify your identity before creating social media accounts

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton says Canberra Raiders must get discipline right to find a win

Jack Wighton is adamant the only way Canberra will put an end to their losing streak is to get their discipline right and fast.

“We’re hurting ourselves in a lot of ways and we can really feel it, we’re holding them inside our 30 and then last-tackle penalties,” he said. “We’re giving them away, it’s something we can fix and something we can control. But we’ve got to change it soon because we’re letting too many wins slip away."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/01/wig ... ind-a-win/
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Scared Hitless wrote: May 1, 2021, 9:13 pm
-TW- wrote: May 1, 2021, 8:56 pm

It was wishful thinking, I know. The NRL thinks like the ICC which is to say sport can't be entertaining unless it is all out attack and scoring. So they adjust the rules accordingly.

What would Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson do with our roster if they inherited it? Ricky seems clueless at the moment and all our young guys coming through don't look to be getting a crack anytime soon.
The defensive side of the game hasn't gone completely, and I think there's definitely some merit in us playing to that potential strength.

Those tight low scoring games can still exist, look at Panthers vs Storm earlier this year. Almost all the top teams are still conceding under 14 points a game which has been the benchmark defensively for a while.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson

Post by Scared Hitless »

-TW- wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:55 pm I think there's a lot of merit to having to verify your identity before creating social media accounts

Yep. Totally agree. Should have to put your name to everything. That would have an immediate impact.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Scared Hitless wrote: May 2, 2021, 8:46 am
-TW- wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:55 pm I think there's a lot of merit to having to verify your identity before creating social media accounts

Yep. Totally agree. Should have to put your name to everything. That would have an immediate impact.
You make a good point Mr Hitless
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Wagga Game

Post by robtheraider »

Hi All,

I have 2 adult and 3 kids tickets front row on the 20 western grandstand for next weeks games.

I have now been told i need to work, so if anyone is interested in the tickets at face value please PM me
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Wagga Game

Post by The Nickman »

Gidday Rob, hope you’re well? I’ll never forget meeting you in the Canberra casino all those years ago...
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Re: Wagga Game

Post by robtheraider »

The Nickman wrote: May 2, 2021, 10:38 am Gidday Rob, hope you’re well? I’ll never forget meeting you in the Canberra casino all those years ago...
cheers, I must admit, for better or worse i tend to have that affect on people :roflmao
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Are papa and tapine on the out
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

If George isn't 100% I'd be keeping Smell at 6 and bringing Dunamis back to start
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Don't really know where to put this but we have Storm x2, Roosters x2, Manly x2 and Eels still to play this season.

If we are to even think about top 8 games like this cannot be dropped whatsoever.

How depressing...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Would need to win 12/16 to be a shot at the 4

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I don't think it's wise to deliberately enter a game with a backrower in the halves. It means they can plan all week to go all in on Jack every tackle 5 as no one else can kick. If Hodgo is back then it's only slightly better off as he stinks kicking from dummy half imo and he'd always be wanting to jump out and kick on tackle 3 and 4 so the markers can't sit on him.