NRL floats conference system... again

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yada Yada Yada NRL considering conference system Yada Yada as below

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Re: NRL floats conference system... Again

Post by Elcaptcroker »

So sydney teams get an entire season of playing at 3 stadiums, when the other teams have to travel all over the place every weekend.

Sounds like a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL floats conference system... again

Post by gerg »

I wish GE would quit with submitting these ideas to NRL HQ.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

V'landys did an interview on NRL 360. He told us that Phil Gould and Phil Rothfield first made this conference proposal to him. Disgraceful stuff from vested interests in Sydney.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

This would near be the death of the Raiders. Up and coming players would want to play in the Sydney conference as that’s where all the media, sponsorship and attention will be.

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

My takeaway from this is: a second New Zealand team... really? The Warriors are not a booming success that showcase the untapped potential of New Zealand. I would think at the very least Perth would be ahead of them, if not Adelaide as well (Brisbane2 is a given).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

This is largely the system that’s in place now if you look at the draw (the only notable exception is we never get the Brisbane Suncorp game these days). The only difference is we’d be in a competition table with just the other teams that do the same travel as us, which would be fairer IMO.

The premiership table as it stands right now would have us equal second with the Titans on F/A.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Flipping that around, right now the dragons (who are ahead of us on the table) would be missing the finals because they have a “favourable” travel schedule.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don’t like it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Why can’t it be north/south conferences?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looks like a concept to help solidify the Sydney power base. The Sydney teams only have to leave town 3 or 4 times a year and guarantees one of them a spot in the GF.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We should set Gould and Buzz adrift on the ocean.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

A solution that will create more problems than it solves.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 8:22 am Looks like a concept to help solidify the Sydney power base. The Sydney teams only have to leave town 3 or 4 times a year and guarantees one of them a spot in the GF.
South Sydney this season only leave Sydney for an "Away" game four times already. The Roosters and Eels only six times.

Under the new system they'd leave Sydney four or five times (depending on the year, I'd assume it'll alternate between years), it's really not that much different.

The BIG difference here is that the split competition tables reward the teams that have to travel more and punish the ones that don't.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:12 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 8:22 am Looks like a concept to help solidify the Sydney power base. The Sydney teams only have to leave town 3 or 4 times a year and guarantees one of them a spot in the GF.
South Sydney this season only leave Sydney for an "Away" game four times already. The Roosters and Eels only six times.

Under the new system they'd leave Sydney four or five times (depending on the year, I'd assume it'll alternate between years), it's really not that much different.

The BIG difference here is that the split competition tables reward the teams that have to travel more and punish the ones that don't.
...and you are guaranteed 1 Sydney team in the GF every year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:19 am

And you'd be guaranteed there's NOT two Sydney teams.

Have a look at the last twenty years, there's only three years where there isn't a Sydney team, yet there's five years where there's two Sydney teams.

This won't work the way you guys are envisaging it.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:33 am

Have a look at the last twenty years, there's only three years where there isn't a Sydney team, yet there's five years where there's two Sydney teams.

Yeah exactly. I can't see the NRL taking an all-Sydney or all-QLD grand final off the table. They might indeed go down the conference route, but I imagine it will still be a combined finals series, with the conferences determining who qualifies.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

the bone wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:35 am

Yeah exactly. I can't see the NRL taking an all-Sydney or all-QLD grand final off the table. They might indeed go down the conference route, but I imagine it will still be a combined finals series, with the conferences determining who qualifies.
The thing is though, you still get those two grand finals, if marketed properly.

You still get the Sydney conference grand final every single year and the non-Sydney one. And when the non-Sydney one is two Qld teams, then BAM... you have your local derby!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

As per my original comment. It will help solidify the Sydney power base. We know it already exists and this proposal sets it in stone.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:52 am

As per my original comment. It will help solidify the Sydney power base. We know it already exists and this proposal sets it in stone.
How will it? I don't in the slightest understand how it will, and just because people keep repeating it with no facts to back it up, it doesn't make it so.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If anything, Sydney teams are going to start complaining when they're in the "top 8" teams on the combined ladder and miss the playoffs!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:43 am

The thing is though, you still get those two grand finals, if marketed properly.

You still get the Sydney conference grand final every single year and the non-Sydney one. And when the non-Sydney one is two Qld teams, then BAM... you have your local derby!
True, they could definitely do that. If they did do separate final series, what would the finals format be? Each conference has 4 teams qualify for the playoffs, 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, Conference Championship, and then Grand final?
The problem with that format is the finals series has been reduced to 3 weeks, which the NRL wouldn't be inclined to do.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:55 am

How will it? I don't in the slightest understand how it will, and just because people keep repeating it with no facts to back it up, it doesn't make it so.
You've already pointed out it currently runs this way unofficially. This makes it official. Plus with the 2 conference winners meeting in the GF you MUST have a Sydney team in there. No longer will we have an aberration that was the 2015 GF.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

the bone wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:57 am
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:43 am

True, they could definitely do that. If they did do separate final series, what would the finals format be? Each conference has 4 teams qualify for the playoffs, 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, Conference Championship, and then Grand final?
The problem with that format is the finals series has been reduced to 3 weeks, which the NRL wouldn't be inclined to do.
I'd be doing 1v2, 3v4, winner of 1v2 gets week off and progresses to conference final, loser plays winner of 3v4 to qualify. Then we have a week off after conference final, maybe hold a 9s tournament with every other team and then have the big one.

Five week finals series!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:06 am

You've already pointed out it currently runs this way unofficially. This makes it official. Plus with the 2 conference winners meeting in the GF you MUST have a Sydney team in there. No longer will we have an aberration that was the 2015 GF.
Yeah, but... you'd be guaranteed there's not TWO Sydney teams.

Now I just feel like I'm repeating myself.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, if this conference system were up and running it will eventually result in the Sydney teams complaining the loudest.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:25 am

That is true and one that wouldn't sit well with the power brokers. Either way it's flawed. Breaking it down into the basics. This proposal offers up a Sydney comp and an everyone else comp. That's an awful way to go if you want a truly national (plus NZ) comp.

The AFL would never consider a separate conference for Melbourne and another for the rest even if the Melbourne clubs would embrace it. They recognise it would be detrimental to the game as a whole. Their future is as a national code. For the NRL to go down this path would he a regressive action.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's not though, you're completely misunderstanding the whole concept. It's a national-based competition still, it's just more fairly divided into conferences that reflect the certain disadvantages out of Sydney clubs have with all their travel.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:25 am

That is true and one that wouldn't sit well with the power brokers. Either way it's flawed. Breaking it down into the basics. This proposal offers up a Sydney comp and an everyone else comp. That's an awful way to go if you want a truly national (plus NZ) comp.

The AFL would never consider a separate conference for Melbourne and another for the rest even if the Melbourne clubs would embrace it. They recognise it would be detrimental to the game as a whole. Their future is as a national code. For the NRL to go down this path would he a regressive action.
Absolutely. We need to be pushing to a truly national competition, not pander to the parochialism of Sydney. The Daily Telegraph actually told us today that the Rothfield/Gould plan is to make the Sydney championship more valuable than the premiership. Seriously, they wrote that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

The “other” conference would soon become an afterthought. It’s almost like instead of aiming for a National reserve grade comp they see it easier to just split the NRL to mirror the split NSW and QLD cups.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You people are off your trees... could we at least have all of this nonsense combined into a single thread??