Off topic

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Off topic

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The chance of you being born, as in right down to sperm and egg level, is 400 trillion to one. So take that a step back, think about the the odds when you factor in your parents, grandparents, ancestors, way back to prehistoric.

For you to be where you are, you have had ancestors survive the worst in terms of disease, wars, genocide, the dark ages, **** knows what other things were going on wherever your ancestors came from.

400 trillion to one, just for your parents to create you, scale that up to include everyone in your history. Life isn’t meaningless.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Off topic

Post by gangrenous »

I dunno about that Fui.

What are the odds of winning a gold medal in the olympics? You’ve got to perform in all the lead up races, beat all those other phenomenal athletes, be able to train, avoid injuries, etc. etc. - Someone wins the olympics though. Probability 1.

Same with life, and reflecting on your own odds is similar to the anthropic principle.

In a nutshell - I’m not that special. Life kicking off in the first place might be though... or maybe that’s fairly common too.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

You’re right, it’s not that we’re special, but unbelievably lucky that all these events have gone on for us to be here, right now, discussing this with each other.

Ricky Gervais said it best, we didn’t exist on this planet for 14 billion years, then when we do, we get 80-90 years and we’re gone again. We have to try and make the most of it
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:You’re right, it’s not that we’re special, but unbelievably lucky that all these events have gone on for us to be here, right now, discussing this with each other.
That’s like having a bag full of 1000 balls numbered 1-1000 and pulling out one and saying “woah, the odds of pulling out that ball were 1 in 1000.”
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: Ricky Gervais said it best, we didn’t exist on this planet for 14 billion years, then when we do, we get 80-90 years and we’re gone again. We have to try and make the most of it
This is a sentiment I can get behind. Hoping for the 80-90 years. I ain’t done yet!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Off topic

Post by gangrenous »

And I will add that I’m glad you won your egg and sperm race Fui. The world’s a better place for it

Who knows how many of those sperm were Broncos fans *shudders*
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The odds of even being born into a fortunate life, like I assume most of us here have been, and I mean fortunate as in not born in a war torn country or in abject poverty, is also extremely rare, all of us posting in this thread are extremely lucky to be where we are in comparison to most of the world.

The meaning of life is to live life, live every moment, live in the now, enjoy it while it lasts and to cherish all of the special people in your life. Because one day it will all be gone, but that day might not be today, and it might not be tomorrow.

So enjoy right now. This fortunate life is a blessing, not a curse.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 28, 2021, 9:50 pm You’re right, it’s not that we’re special, but unbelievably lucky that all these events have gone on for us to be here, right now, discussing this with each other.

Ricky Gervais said it best, we didn’t exist on this planet for 14 billion years, then when we do, we get 80-90 years and we’re gone again. We have to try and make the most of it
80-90 years..still time to win a premiership.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gangrenous wrote:And I will add that I’m glad you won your egg and sperm race Fui. The world’s a better place for it Image

Who knows how many of those sperm were Broncos fans *shudders*
My Raiders supporting is a Sliding Doors moment. Had the 94 squad not visit my school, who knows who Id support.

Probably Dragons, via supporting Steelers like my old man

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Just now..

Monster- Who do the Raiders play this weekend ?
PJ- South Sydney.
Monster- South Sydney, they’re the Dragons aren’t they ?
(I considered correcting her but..)
PJ- Yes that’s right.
Monster- Should be a tough game.
PJ- Yes, StGeorge have been playing better than most imagined.

she walks away...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I read a quote from Anthony Bourdain over the weekend. Its resonated with me
Anthony Bourdain wrote:I understand there's a guy inside me who wants to lay in bed, smoke weed all day, and watch cartoons and old movies. My whole life is a series of stratagems to avoid, and outwit, that guy.
I feel like I've been this way for the last few months, and that guy inside me has been winning... Only replacing the weed with the PS4. Yesterday I packed up the PS4, and now looking for healthier habits to replace that spare time

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 4, 2021, 8:43 am I read a quote from Anthony Bourdain over the weekend. Its resonated with me
Anthony Bourdain wrote:I understand there's a guy inside me who wants to lay in bed, smoke weed all day, and watch cartoons and old movies. My whole life is a series of stratagems to avoid, and outwit, that guy.
I feel like I've been this way for the last few months, and that guy inside me has been winning... Only replacing the weed with the PS4. Yesterday I packed up the PS4, and now looking for healthier habits to replace that spare time
I've found the key is to try and do things that avoid screentime. Like reading a book is a great hobby or even tabletop gaming. I got massively into Star Wars Legion for a long time there, bought all the figures and painted them up and even set-up a 6 foot by 3 foot table downstairs to play on (and yes, I played against myself!)... I really found I slept a lot better with the reduced screen time.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Happy Star Wars Day..
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Off topic

The Nickman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 4, 2021, 8:43 am I read a quote from Anthony Bourdain over the weekend. Its resonated with me
I've found the key is to try and do things that avoid screentime. Like reading a book is a great hobby or even tabletop gaming. I got massively into Star Wars Legion for a long time there, bought all the figures and painted them up and even set-up a 6 foot by 3 foot table downstairs to play on (and yes, I played against myself!)... I really found I slept a lot better with the reduced screen time.
Yeah I’m on that track. I’ve halved my screen time since this time last year. Typically average about 3hrs a day, which is usually an hour before I log into work / while I commute, and hour spread through the day, and an hour in the afternoon.

On the commute, I’ve been listening to Stuff You Should Know, which has been good. Plus I’m thinking hobby wise I might really try stepping up my home brewing game

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 4, 2021, 9:58 am
The Nickman wrote:
Yeah I’m on that track. I’ve halved my screen time since this time last year. Typically average about 3hrs a day, which is usually an hour before I log into work / while I commute, and hour spread through the day, and an hour in the afternoon.

On the commute, I’ve been listening to Stuff You Should Know, which has been good. Plus I’m thinking hobby wise I might really try stepping up my home brewing game
The big thing for me is reading a book in bed before sleeping. Half an hour to an hour every night does wonders for my sleeping, and also my eyes seem to improve as well.

But then I get back into bad habits again and I spend that half an hour in bed scrolling aimlessly on my ipad.

Fortunately we just got a puppy, so screentime away from work is at an alltime low!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Day 8 since Boneyjr got pushed down stairs at school, broke his other leg from the one he had surgery on in January. Today's mission is deciding on healing treatment and police paperwork.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hopes he’s as OK as he can be!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:33 am
The Nickman wrote:

The big thing for me is reading a book in bed before sleeping. Half an hour to an hour every night does wonders for my sleeping, and also my eyes seem to improve as well.

But then I get back into bad habits again and I spend that half an hour in bed scrolling aimlessly on my ipad.

Fortunately we just got a puppy, so screentime away from work is at an alltime low!
Yeah Im wanting to get back into reading. I have a few books in my backlog. Kind of a funny story, I found this book which was a sequel. I was getting really into it, but wanted to stop and find the 1st book and read them in order. Anyway, couldn't find the book anywhere. Then during a cleanout, I found I already bought the book years ago and never read it. Lucky I didn't find it, then discover I had two copies of the same book

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:33 am
The Nickman wrote:

Yeah Im wanting to get back into reading. I have a few books in my backlog. Kind of a funny story, I found this book which was a sequel. I was getting really into it, but wanted to stop and find the 1st book and read them in order. Anyway, couldn't find the book anywhere. Then during a cleanout, I found I already bought the book years ago and never read it. Lucky I didn't find it, then discover I had two copies of the same book
Guess you had to be there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, Sommers, so sorry to hear about BoJu, hope he heals up quickly!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

bonehead wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:01 pm Day 8 since Boneyjr got pushed down stairs at school, broke his other leg from the one he had surgery on in January. Today's mission is deciding on healing treatment and police paperwork.

Oh damn! Hope Lil' Bone is doing ok.

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

a quick scroll and I'll jump out again I reckon, it's all happening

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: May 6, 2021, 1:56 pm a quick scroll and I'll jump out again I reckon, it's all happening

This place is pretty **** awful when the club is in crisis, just trolls and idiots run the show.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Not missing much

The Facebook dead **** seem to be infiltrating

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

As is tradition - As long as they don't corrupt this thread or Steve's Lazy Snooker, they can do as they please

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 6, 2021, 2:07 pm As is tradition - As long as they don't corrupt this thread or Steve's Lazy Snooker, they can do as they please
Yeah, most of the other threads are pretty much off-limits right now... why don't I ever learn my lesson in times like these?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote: May 6, 2021, 2:25 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 6, 2021, 2:07 pm As is tradition - As long as they don't corrupt this thread or Steve's Lazy Snooker, they can do as they please
Yeah, most of the other threads are pretty much off-limits right now... why don't I ever learn my lesson in times like these?
It's like the Sunshine Coast during Summer, getting infiltrated with NSWelshmen

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Need a group chat on Facebook, least the Muppets can't infiltrate that

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just catching up on this thread, what sort of dog did you get Nickman and how is Boney jr?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

God damn it I had been so disciplined in avoiding the idiots and I've gone and engaged. Back into my box.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Wow I completely missed the Bone jr post. How is bone jr recovering?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

thx all he's mending, fracture in the growth plate hoping to get him back to school mid next week after next round of xrays.
Nicko you still owe us puppy pics

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’m reading today that Bert Newton has had his lower leg amputated.

I will admit..I thought Bert had passed on.

Sorry Bert !!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-PJ- wrote:I’m reading today that Bert Newton has had his lower leg amputated.

I will admit..I thought Bert had passed on.

Sorry Bert !!
I saw that too and thought the same thing! Im certain I remembered Pattie was living by herself or something

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's been in hospital for ages apparently

Head it on the radio this morning, it was breaking news. Thought he'd carked it

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I’ve had this weird foot pain the last couple of years. Never got it checked out because it’s usually gone after a couple of days, and only happens once a year.

This time I’ve had it twice in two months, and this ones lasted a bit longer, so I’ve been able to make it to a Doc while it’s happening.

It just feels like a bad sprain in the arch of my foot, at it’s worst it’s nearly impossible to walk on. Got X Rays yesterday, hoping I find out what’s wrong today

Nickman's love of NSW