Rabbitohs 13+
57%

Total votes: 23

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2021 Rd 8 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2021, 3:55 pm Papalii rested, Croker out with shoulder injury

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has challenged Test forward Josh Papalii to “find the old Papa” as the Green Machine coach has opted to “rest” the champion front-rower. With the Raiders searching for answers to their last three successive losses, Stuart has opted to “rest” Papalii while co-captain Jarrod Croker has also picked up a shoulder injury and will be missing for the next one to two weeks.

“Papa needs to go back and find the old Papa, because we’re all missing it,” Stuart told Fox Sports.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 25e19b357d
The writing in that article is just atrocious.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:02 pm Not surprised Papa has been rested, he looks cooked
Interesting to see if he fronts up for NSW Cup on the weekend. They don't play till Saturday.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

That’s a better looking team.

I’m not sure Boxing was the right off season adventure for Papa.

It was a killer of a season and a good mental rest might have been good for him. Hopefully a weeks break will be good for Paps.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:02 pm Not surprised Papa has been rested, he looks cooked
Interesting to see if he fronts up for NSW Cup on the weekend. They don't play till Saturday.
I feel bad for the opposition forward pack if they have to line up against angry Papa in NSW cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

Ricky really is a loyal man.

Even when dropping our club legend he covers for him with an injury claim.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

Ricky is really getting easy to read these days I stated this the other day.

Re: Jarrod Croker
Post by kona_dream » April 25, 2021, 9:53 am

I love the guy and he has been my favourite player since the under 20s GF. I hope he can make it back to FG standard. But I have a feeling that the shot of him at towards to end of the game holding his shoulder may be the reason Ricky states in the press conference this week. "Jarrod has a shoulder issue and will need to rest it for a week or two or conversely four or five weeks".
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Turns out training for boxing may not be the best way to spend your offseason if you're a league player.
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by lomax »

Raider47 wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:01 pm Odd call. No way are we better off without Papa unless he genuinely needs a rest.
Agree 100%
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Croker injured.

Let’s hope for a speedy recovery so he slides straight back in to that left side quick smart.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Again the problem with too many middles, you can just "rest" them like it's nothing. Unless it pays off for us at end of season, it's possible

I don't mind the team otherwise. Guler lucky to start after having the dropsies last week. I'd rather Valemei but I assume he's injured. I am concerned about the halves but they're good players and just have to stick with them
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Season over.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Seems it's very easy to get dropped for the forwards, and almost impossible to get dropped from the backs
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

lomax wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:12 pm
Raider47 wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:01 pm Odd call. No way are we better off without Papa unless he genuinely needs a rest.
Agree 100%
Given each week one of our bench rotations gets about 8 mins I would have thought he could have been rested by having his minutes reduced for a few weeks rather than him being left out.

I have to say I’ve always thought Papa manages himself very well to ensure his highest quality output is towards the business end of the season. I’m not fussed he isn’t killing it at present. He is far from our worst and tough position to be turning out elite efforts each and every week. He will bring quality when we need him!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ok. Well we get a look at Kris at left centre again.

Simo gets a chance to show something more than "steady".

Ricky was either happy enough with what Aekins produced or thinks he has something else to bring beyond "meh" defensive efforts. Surely he'll be better for the gallop.

Guler hasn't lived up to my hopes for him so far. He'll need to produce without Papa there.

Souths have a decent bench to so it's another week where our forwards will need to aim up to give the makeshift backline a chance to do much. So far we've lost the battle in the middle most weeks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:22 pm
Agree 100%
Given each week one of our bench rotations gets about 8 mins I would have thought he could have been rested by having his minutes reduced for a few weeks rather than him being left out.

I have to say I’ve always thought Papa manages himself very well to ensure his highest quality output is towards the business end of the season. I’m not fussed he isn’t killing it at present. He is far from our worst and tough position to be turning out elite efforts each and every week. He will bring quality when we need him!
Much more of a full mental rest if you get a proper week off though, instead of having to get ready to front up for that forward battle.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick is jumping at shadows now... Papalii needs to be somewhere in the 17 for a game against this level of opposition - he’s not going THAT badly. You’d think we were 7-0 with the luxury of “resting” players each week!

Genuine question - what other team is resting regular FGers (let alone internationals) at this point in the season? Rick has gone all galaxy brain with this one.

It’s shuffling deck chairs on the titanic at this point though - the garbage we have dished up this year in pretty much every game bar the Titans illustrates it’s the system that’s broken not individual players
Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:11 pm

Turns out training for boxing may not be the best way to spend your offseason if you're a league player.
Seems to have worked out just fine for Junior Paulo. The boxing had him at his lightest weight in years and it looks like he celebrated that by hitting every fast food joint in town as soon as the fight was over.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Dropping papalii too now. Ok that confirms something's not right with the playing group and coach.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:33 pm Rick is jumping at shadows now... Papalii needs to be somewhere in the 17 for a game against this level of opposition - he’s not going THAT badly. You’d think we were 7-0 with the luxury of “resting” players each week!

Genuine question - what other team is resting regular FGers (let alone internationals) at this point in the season? Rick has gone all galaxy brain with this one.

It’s shuffling deck chairs on the titanic at this point though - the garbage we have dished up this year in pretty much every game bar the Titans illustrates it’s the system that’s broken not individual players
It does smack a little bit of that year when they were going to not smash themselves so hard in pre-season so they'd peak for the finals (they inevitably missed out on).
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

radicalraider wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:37 pm Dropping papalii too now. Ok that confirms something's not right with the playing group and coach.
:roflmao
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

radicalraider wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:37 pm Dropping papalii too now. Ok that confirms something's not right with the playing group and coach.
Cannot deny though that Papa has been a shell of the player he was last few years. Whilst the stats probably read OK, the hunger, the energy and the impact are most definitely missing.

Is it boxing instead of resting? Is it the mullet? Is it the change of pronunciation? Is he all out of moisturiser?!! Who knows what it is but in a strange (but gutsy way given the game this week and what is at stake), good on Stick for calling it. The only person who can solve the riddle is Papa. Last time something like this happened it sparked a run of form from him that was incredible. Maybe it happens again, maybe not, but only he can solve it. For me, the missing impact from him has been one of the hugely noticeable and disappointing things thus far this season.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Andymachine wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:36 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:11 pm

Seems to have worked out just fine for Junior Paulo. The boxing had him at his lightest weight in years and it looks like he celebrated that by hitting every fast food joint in town as soon as the fight was over.
He had a pretty poor season here on the back of his first fight vs Gallen.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Re: 2021 Rd 8 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by GreenMachine »

Lots of us here have commented on how poor Papalli has looked this season compared to last...but "resting him"? I'm not sure...
Croker with the "shoulder injury"...Is this the same shoulder he had surgery on? Is this a precursor to medical retirement or am I reaching?
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Old School Green wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:42 pm
Cannot deny though that Papa has been a shell of the player he was last few years. Whilst the stats probably read OK, the hunger, the energy and the impact are most definitely missing.

Is it boxing instead of resting? Is it the mullet? Is it the change of pronunciation? Is he all out of moisturiser?!! Who knows what it is but in a strange (but gutsy way given the game this week and what is at stake), good on Stick for calling it. The only person who can solve the riddle is Papa. Last time something like this happened it sparked a run of form from him that was incredible. Maybe it happens again, maybe not, but only he can solve it. For me, the missing impact from him has been one of the hugely noticeable and disappointing things thus far this season.
Boxing has nothing to do with it. He's not playing with the same passion and attitude which come from within.. something isn't right within him.. has it from within the playing group/coach ? Lets hope not..
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

GreenMachine wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:46 pm Lots of us here have commented on how poor Papalli has looked this season compared to last...but "resting him"? I'm not sure...
Croker with the "shoulder injury"...Is this the same shoulder he had surgery on? Is this a precursor to medical retirement or am I reaching?
Wonder if Croker injured himself in the same manner his fellow captain did last week....
Last edited by radicalraider on April 27, 2021, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:22 pm
Agree 100%

Much more of a full mental rest if you get a proper week off though, instead of having to get ready to front up for that forward battle.
True - I wonder if the rest extends to training and other commitments? Give the big fella a week down at Batemans Bay to smash some fish and chips and find the old Papa...
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Can’t wait to lose Timoko because he can’t get a run
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I just don't understand why we can't play our best forward pack?
Why Sutton at 13? He is forced to play long minutes and is gassed early in the second half...

Why can't we see:

8.Papalli
9. Starling
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young

14. Sutton
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. Hodgo when fit
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So wait, who is the captain? All our most experienced players are being "rested" now...
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

GreenMachine wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:46 pm Lots of us here have commented on how poor Papalli has looked this season compared to last...but "resting him"? I'm not sure...
Not sure if it’s the same one, but anyone with a dodgy shoulder knows that landing on your arm like he did, can easily aggravate it.

I’m sure a bit of massage, some anti-inflammatory meds and tape would help, and would probably get him close to fit ... but unfortunately he’s otherwise cooked anyway.

So yeah, maybe we now have a legitimate injury to medically retire him on.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Who's captain?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Whitehead

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

My guess is smelly
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Best part is the no backs on the bench again though...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Makaveli wrote: April 27, 2021, 4:49 pm Can’t wait to lose Timoko because he can’t get a run
The next Zac Lomax