Jarrod Croker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I'm always looking for Toots to stick those tackles, but the job he ultimately did on Herbert was good. The Titans gave a lot of ball to both their centres, I think they each had 17 runs. Their game plan was to hold the middle for as long as possible and attack our edges. There were a number of times Croker shut down the play by jamming in at the right time, and while he didn't always stick the first contact, the Titans attack was largely nullified.

2 games back from shoulder surgery and his decision making in attack and defence is looking pretty sharp. His goal kicking is a great bonus. No huge concerns from me.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 7, 2021, 1:23 pm Yeah, I'm always looking for Toots to stick those tackles, but the job he ultimately did on Herbert was good. The Titans gave a lot of ball to both their centres, I think they each had 17 runs. Their game plan was to hold the middle for as long as possible and attack our edges. There were a number of times Croker shut down the play by jamming in at the right time, and while he didn't always stick the first contact, the Titans attack was largely nullified.

2 games back from shoulder surgery and his decision making in attack and defence is looking pretty sharp. His goal kicking is a great bonus. No huge concerns from me.
He did mistime a couple of those jams in the first half. Good scramble was able to compensate then. No such issues in the 2nd half and both our edges were rock solid. We kept an in form team to just 4 points so not much to complain about on the defensive side. Would confidently predict that will be the Titans lowest score of the season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2021, 1:31 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: April 7, 2021, 1:23 pm Yeah, I'm always looking for Toots to stick those tackles, but the job he ultimately did on Herbert was good. The Titans gave a lot of ball to both their centres, I think they each had 17 runs. Their game plan was to hold the middle for as long as possible and attack our edges. There were a number of times Croker shut down the play by jamming in at the right time, and while he didn't always stick the first contact, the Titans attack was largely nullified.

He did mistime a couple of those jams in the first half. Good scramble was able to compensate then. No such issues in the 2nd half and both our edges were rock solid. We kept an in form team to just 4 points so not much to complain about on the defensive side. Would confidently predict that will be the Titans lowest score of the season.
Yeah, I think the decision making was good, but the execution a bit off as you say. On the whole though, I agree he improved as the game went on. Both the Titans centres are strong ball carriers. I expect both of them to have good seasons.

He had no offseason. As his match fitness improves I expect his performance will follow.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The Nickman wrote: April 7, 2021, 1:19 pm
raiderskater wrote: April 7, 2021, 1:14 pm
LastRaider wrote: April 5, 2021, 10:04 am One interesting note. When Stuart was interviewed last week before Croker’s come back game, the commenters asked Stuart what Croker brings to the team? There was an awkward silence, then Stuart said “he brings a calming influence”. Nothing said like “he is a great attacking weapon, nothing about his defence or kick chase just “calming influences” I think that sez it all.

I also saw in the telegraph last week he is on $600,000 per season with an option in his favour for 2024! 4 more long years to go

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I find it hilarious that you and others are using this as proof of something negative.

Someone remind me what happened the week before against the Sharks?

I seem to recall...what was it...oh yeah, WE COMPLETELY LOST OUR ****ING HEADS.

I wonder why the coach might have picked out the returning captain's calming influence as a valuable asset in that context...?
The week before was against the Warriors, but otherwise you are spot on.
LastRaider noted that Stuart said this in an interview before Croker's comeback game, which was against the Warriors, and we had played the Sharks the week before.

And I decidedly remember posting in the game day thread of that Sharks game that I thought we missed Croker during that lengthy period in which we lost our heads.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

I'm pro crokes and started our family membership since yr before him hitting first grade so he's ended up being a family fav cause of that so im biased and happy to take flak cause of it

He is obviously underdone atm but the comp isn't won on the first month and I'm loyal to what he has given the club and the fans over the past decade.. he needs to get fitter and improve his general play and do his best to get more than 100% with his kicking

Sharks - not a club I like - scored more tries and still lost a lot last year cause of missed goals so don't underestimate what we have there before it's gone..

Crokes once fit will make up for his age in other ways I believe

I reckon he is more frustrated than we are atm

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Summed it up beautifully irvste!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

irvste wrote: April 8, 2021, 9:44 pm I'm pro crokes and started our family membership since yr before him hitting first grade so he's ended up being a family fav cause of that so im biased and happy to take flak cause of it

He is obviously underdone atm but the comp isn't won on the first month and I'm loyal to what he has given the club and the fans over the past decade.. he needs to get fitter and improve his general play and do his best to get more than 100% with his kicking Image

Sharks - not a club I like - scored more tries and still lost a lot last year cause of missed goals so don't underestimate what we have there before it's gone..

Crokes once fit will make up for his age in other ways I believe

I reckon he is more frustrated than we are atm

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
That could be tough
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yikes.

You can try and hide the guy or make him less noticeable in a good backline. My belief has been that his goalkicking is enough to carry him, even if he's the worst player in the five.

But in a line that continues to struggle and offer no real multi-pronged threat apart from Seb Kris? Sticking out. Really makes it that much harder to keep in there when Kris would be levels above him in the position.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Mate, it's been a long time coming.... but I am with ya.

Croker hasbt made a post.contact metres.for 5 years yet Kris is killing it, but it's ok cos Jarrod scores off kicks, until he doesn't....

We need.more metres.from.our back 5

In my opinion, our pack is that good we can run 5 big backs for territory n could win the comp

Unfortunately Jarrod is struggling to contribute at the moment

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Not a great day. But who in the back 5 is that good?
We fawn over Kris, he had another brain fade for a try today that Scott or Croker would be skewered for. And he's young and he'll learn so ive got no issue with lenacy on his behalf but the reality is our back 5 what we all feared it was.
Its not good, and even if Kris figures it out defensively, we've lacking a lot outwide.

Im not trying to defend Croker. But we need 2-3 moves to fix this. Croker is certainly looming as one of those key decisions
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Times up..
If we’re honest, he’s not in the first grade squad when Scott returns.
Rapana would be next after him..
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Amazing. Barely three games back and the knives are already turning for Croker. He couldn't even get through a quarter of the season before fans beg for him to be dropped. What happened to him being "Ricky's guy"? What happened to the "human element"?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can’t say I’m too shocked here.

We lose and the skipper is being shaved and wet down for the chair.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Yeah the talk of dropping him already is crazy.

And forget the bombed try he would get those 99/100... but geez you can't ignore the fact he is a liability in carries out of our own end. He gets dominated every time and he just can't do what others can in that respect. We can't ignore that's a massive part of today's game... It's concerning. I'm sure he works hard in the gym but geez he just doesn't have the right body type to be a ball carrying back in today's game.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Croker should gracefully retire at the end of the year. While it's not approaching Darius Boyd bad, he doesn't deserve a spot in FG as he contributes little besides goal kicking. You cannot drop Kris for him when Scott is fit. This is not just this season, but last year was bad for him as well. He is a liability in defence due to his lack of size and speed. In short, he is the biggest weakness in an underperforming backline. This year, I've noticed he doesn't attack the ball on kicks. And you cannot rely on him carrying the ball out in our own half. Only romantics would keep him.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

IBG wrote: April 10, 2021, 7:49 am Yeah the talk of dropping him already is crazy.

And forget the bombed try he would get those 99/100... but geez you can't ignore the fact he is a liability in carries out of our own end. He gets dominated every time and he just can't do what others can in that respect. We can't ignore that's a massive part of today's game... It's concerning. I'm sure he works hard in the gym but geez he just doesn't have the right body type to be a ball carrying back in today's game.
The abilty to take the ball back is something he's never had. It wasn't a huge part of the game for outside backs when he came into First Grade, so wasn't a prerequisite for him. He's essentially grandfathered in that respect.

The more concerning thing about him for me is the loss of his lateral agility and acceleration. He's never been the quickest guy, but he'd have enough pace to be able to slice through the opposition centre and winger, or turn a half break into a full one, or evade a defender with a step or a swerve. Seems like he's completely lost all this, and without it his game is on a hiding to nothing.

Tbh I'm seeing parallels with Fensom, who in the end outlived his usefulness after years of loyal service because the nature of his position had changed during his time. Again, not saying he should be dropped this instant, but it cannot drag out like this for the remainder of his contract. No way.
Last edited by afgtnk on April 10, 2021, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I’m converting to the Greens.

It’s becoming really difficult to watch Croker slowly amble up to the defensive line and get completely monstered every time he takes a hit up.

We need to decide whether we are content with being the 4th-5th best team in the comp for the next couple years until our window closes or whether we want to win a title.

If it is the latter, then at least 2 moves need to be made in the backline, and one of them is unfortunately Croker. The other is going to be Rapana, whose brain fades are starting to outweigh his good play.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: April 10, 2021, 9:27 am
IBG wrote: April 10, 2021, 7:49 am Yeah the talk of dropping him already is crazy.

The abilty to take the ball back is something he's never had. It wasn't a huge part of the game for outside backs when he came into First Grade, so wasn't a prerequisite for him. He's essentially grandfathered in that respect.

The more concerning thing about him for me is the loss of his lateral agility and acceleration. He's never been the quickest guy, but he'd have enough pace to be able to slice through the opposition centre and winger, or turn a half break into a full one, or evade a defender with a step or a swerve. Seems like he's completely lost all this, and without it his game is on a hiding to nothing.

Tbh I'm seeing parallels with Fensom, who in the end outlived his usefulness after years of loyal service. Again, not saying he should be dropped this instant, but it cannot drag out like this for the remainder of his contract. No way.

100% agree
He looked like he had lost that extra yard or two of pace last year but the hope was it was injury related. And i spoke a lot in the off season about the need for that to return. And my expectations was that it would. But early returns are not good on that front.
He'll get to see this year out, of that im very sure. So we're going to get a very long look at him. What happens after that i think is very much up in the air
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah he’s battling at the moment, but we made our bed letting Cotric and BJ go.

Sure both are stinking it up elsewhere and there’s no way we could’ve kept both, but Ricky knew how to get the best out of them and I’d have kept either one of them over Croker.

Both better ball runners and damaging attackers. The momentum that Joey could produce off the back of a strong carry, was very often underrated.

Kris has what it takes. But we need another and I don’t know if Curtis Scott is the answer.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Scott is going far better than Croker is currently

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

605pts required to overtake Smith.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yeh raiders wrote:Yeah he’s battling at the moment, but we made our bed letting Cotric and BJ go.

Sure both are stinking it up elsewhere and there’s no way we could’ve kept both, but Ricky knew how to get the best out of them and I’d have kept either one of them over Croker.

Both better ball runners and damaging attackers. The momentum that Joey could produce off the back of a strong carry, was very often underrated.

Kris has what it takes. But we need another and I don’t know if Curtis Scott is the answer.
That is a rosy **** take on BJ. He was already well down the path back to liability in 2019. It was clearly the right decision then. It’s been more than vindicated since.

Cotric was simply impossible to keep at his asking price.

If Croker gets replaced I’d hope Timoko gets a shot.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Croker is sitting on about 80 runs, we are well and truly in a position to declare and the decision needs to be made by Rick to let him bat on for a personal milestone or do what’s best to give us enough time to win the test.

For mine Rick should be saying swing hard son you have until the end of this session but after that I am going to have to call it.

At sometime over the next few weeks stick needs to have that chat with Croker and tell him this might just have to be his last year. Let him go out on “his terms” and let him have the year. This gives us time to get the balance right between or backs and our forwards and to adapt to the new style of play while also doing what’s right for club legends Croker, Sia and Rapana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: April 10, 2021, 9:55 am 605pts required to overtake Smith.
He's not going to get there. I think Smith playing on the extra few years put that record beyond Croker's reach.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, not catching Smith.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Which in context of this discussion is helpful for us
I think having that tough conversation as Stuart might have to have this off season would be a lot tougher if that record was realistically in reach
With it sort of off the table, it's an easier conversation i would think
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Rick wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:01 am Croker is sitting on about 80 runs, we are well and truly in a position to declare and the decision needs to be made by Rick to let him bat on for a personal milestone or do what’s best to give us enough time to win the test.

For mine Rick should be saying swing hard son you have until the end of this session but after that I am going to have to call it.

At sometime over the next few weeks stick needs to have that chat with Croker and tell him this might just have to be his last year. Let him go out on “his terms” and let him have the year. This gives us time to get the balance right between or backs and our forwards and to adapt to the new style of play while also doing what’s right for club legends Croker, Sia and Rapana.

Couldn't agree more. I also agree with alphabet's view as well. The decision is either the team or personal glory. The great Aussie cricket teams in the early 00's made ruthless decisions - I loved Steve Waugh but the selectors did not recall him for the World Cup in 2003. If we want to win we need to make similar decisions.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Watching Croker last night I'd be concerned those multiple knee injuries have caught up with him. We already knew his speed is well down on his peak. Seeing some of his runs his change direction has also suffered. His footwork was always smooth and precise. Often getting defensive defenders off balance. Now he seems to be taking several small steps rather than a single one to shift. Whatever the reason he needs to improve if he's going to threaten defenses again.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

:lol:

He's under contract for 2 more years, and another in his favour. No way is he retiring at 31 with over $1.5 million owed to him. You guys also believe in the tooth fairy?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rick wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:01 am Croker is sitting on about 80 runs, we are well and truly in a position to declare and the decision needs to be made by Rick to let him bat on for a personal milestone or do what’s best to give us enough time to win the test.

That's a pretty good analogy. :lol:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:37 am :lol:

He's under contract for 2 more years, and another in his favour. No way is he retiring at 31 with over $1.5 million owed to him. You guys also believe in the tooth fairy?
I agree with most of your opinions Roger, but not this one. There's a way to deal with things like this: "In December 2014, Campese was released from the final year of his contract with the Raiders to join Hull Kingston Rovers. His form had dipped toward the end of the 2014 season and new coach Ricky Stuart had relegated him to playing New South Wales Cup football for the Mount Pritchard Mounties.[7]" So it's either NSW Cup side or England, or another NRL side like West Tigers, Broncos, Canterbury, Manly, Nth Qld if he really wants to play on for the money. Darius also had an option in his favour for $800,000 but decided enough is enough.

He's not going to be dropped soon, so let's see if his form improves.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Don't assume that. Look at the Michael Morgan situation. He's struggled to come back from a shoulder reco and now medically retired. He's 29 and had a contract till end of 2023 at $1m per season. Sam Burgess was similar. Medically retired with a bung shoulder at 30 with another 3 years on his contract.

Croker is not quite as busted as Morgan. Even last night he was still scoring tries and diffusing kicks. Morgan's last game he looked like he was trying to avoid getting involved in anything.

While unlikely for Croker it's still possible as these precedents have shown.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Croker is a club man and a club legend. He will do what’s right at the right time.

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Well I hope the tooth fairy is real!
The price of a tooth seems to have gone up a lot since I got 20c for a single tooth and 50c for those double molars

Had plans for that money when old age causes me to lose more!
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Welcome to 2021
There are established and well known mechanisms to handle this now