Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Yeah, the price is exorbitant and Marty is on the darker slope of his career but I will still fantisise about him and Papa in the same team. Have long been a great admirer.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

You reckon Taupau's better than Hors though? Marty hasn't played a game of origin.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Taupau would be great to have - a real enforcer who doesn't take a backwards step, with strong leadership qualities to boot.

At that price though, given his age especially.... no chance. Clearly he's looking for his last big pay day, which I'm happy to have some bottom rung team fork out in an attempt to work their way back up. A team in our position doesn't pay money like that for a player like him.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he'd drive the lads in the gym the big Tapa

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The LAST thing we need is another aging middle
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

strange approach really.
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Maybe Marty's manager opened his rolodex to 2017 and just thought he could trot out the old "yeah but Canberra's really interested too, what else can you offer?"
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Taupau would be great to have - a real enforcer who doesn't take a backwards step, with strong leadership qualities to boot.

At that price though, given his age especially.... no chance. Clearly he's looking for his last big pay day, which I'm happy to have some bottom rung team fork out in an attempt to work their way back up. A team in our position doesn't pay money like that for a player like him.
Bulldogs entered the chat

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

If I were Bulldogs, Tigers or Cowboys I would have a nibble at Marty. He won't win them a premiership, but nobody on their own could do that but he would give them some respect and they could sure do with some of that. The Tigers giving him the boot some years ago, the start of an inspired period of retention by them probably rules them out of contention. Or does it?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If he wants the money he should head to the Cowboys.

If he wants to win, he's not getting close to $800k.
valemei94
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Semi Valemei

Post by valemei94 »

Bring back the Milf 💚💚
Last edited by valemei94 on April 10, 2021, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
valemei94
David Shillington

Post by valemei94 »

John Folau was spotted at cafe momo with don furner yesterday
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

valemei94 wrote: April 10, 2021, 9:27 am John Folau was spotted at cafe momo with don furner yesterday
Let's hope not.
valemei94
David Shillington

Post by valemei94 »

He was eating a chicken burger and a bacon and egg roll with a coffee like Gene
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

valemei94 wrote:John Folau was spotted at cafe momo with don furner yesterday
Not this **** again

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Dufty was very good again

You know, at the right price, I wouldn't mind a certain Milf at fullback... 😬
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd definitely take a punt on Dufty. I dont know that it would be enough, it could very easily take us down a notch, rather than up one. But it's a gamble i'd take.
valemei94
David Shillington

Post by valemei94 »

Bring Back Ravalawa please
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, given Rapana is on his way to retirement, Dufty would be worth a punt if we could afford him (by losing Rapa, Sia and Lui), just for the added pace.

1. Dufty
2. Valemei
3. Kris
4. Scott
5. CNK
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:31 pm I'd definitely take a punt on Dufty. I dont know that it would be enough, it could very easily take us down a notch, rather than up one. But it's a gamble i'd take.
He'd easily take us up. Would make us immeasurably more dangerous right across the park.

Just the thought of him hanging off Papa and Taps is worth it, let alone the myriad of other game situations he'd be ultra useful in.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 12, 2021, 10:20 am Yeah, given Rapana is on his way to retirement, Dufty would be worth a punt if we could afford him (by losing Rapa, Sia and Lui), just for the added pace.

1. Dufty
2. Valemei
3. Kris
4. Scott
5. CNK
Seiffert82 wrote: September 20, 2020, 12:36 pm As far as Dufty goes, he has not showed an iota of improvement in defence during his career.

On the other hand, CNK has slowly been adding strings to his bow with the ball. Patience isn't a virtue with many fans, but there is no way our coaching staff is swapping a hard working top 5 defensive fullback with Dufty.
How times change..... since September last year :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Saying Dufty is worth a punt and stating that CNK is a far superior defensive player that coaches won't be swapping isn't contradictory. Both opinions can be held by one person without conflict.

Also people are entitled to change their mind over the course of 8 months. We don't have to guard an opinion to our last breath.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

My opinion is Dufty would be a good option. The only fullback on the market I'd consider changing CNK for. CNK would still provide great value in the wing, where he played for the Warriors.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2021, 11:55 am Saying Dufty is worth a punt and stating that CNK is a far superior defensive player that coaches won't be swapping isn't contradictory. Both opinions can be held by one person without conflict.

Also people are entitled to change their mind over the course of 8 months. We don't have to guard an opinion to our last breath.
Precisely. Dufty and CNK are almost polar opposites as far as what they bring to the team.

I'm still entirely happy keeping CNK at fullback for all he brings, but the reality is we need a bit of speed in our backline. I'm also not sold on Simonsson's value. At this stage it also seems that Croker is not the player he was 2 years ago.

I don't really care what the coach does, but somehow he needs to add some proven speed to this backline. If Dufty is an available player, then moving CNK is the only way he fits in. I don't want to lose CNK. He is a fabulous player.

That's quite a different agenda to finding any possible way to remove CNK from the team.

Also doesn't change my opinion about Dufty's suspect defence and his inability to do the tough yards out of the defensive end.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 12, 2021, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

William Kennedy is off contract and is a gun I reckon...Not sure about his ball playing?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Would CNK be an upgrade on the wing to Rapana or Simo? I'd say yes. Dufty to fullback and CNK to wing presents an opportunity to upgrade 2 positions with one recruit.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders666 wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:26 pm William Kennedy is off contract and is a gun I reckon...Not sure about his ball playing?
I do like him. Whether he's a better option for us at fullback than CNK I'm not so sure.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:34 pm
Raiders666 wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:26 pm William Kennedy is off contract and is a gun I reckon...Not sure about his ball playing?
I do like him. Whether he's a better option for us at fullback than CNK I'm not so sure.
Im cautious of guys like Kennedy... this is the sort of scenario where i wouldnt commit to him unless i saw a little more from him and for a longer period
Certainly playing good footy right now though

Specifically for our club, he's not going to solve the problems CNK cant solve and i'd argue CNK is better at the other stuff right now. It's a lateral movement at best imo
I agree that you could bring in Dufty as fullback and shift CNK to the wing/centre and essentially solve 2 problems in 1. You dont need to lose CNK to get Dufty in, but as i explained a few pages back, the money for Dufty on circa 800k+ has got to come from somewhere
Last edited by Botman on April 12, 2021, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

William Kennedy has been looking extremely good. I think we should definitely be keeping our eyes open for CNK alternatives, who could easily be a very good centre

Honestly though how much would Milford cost. I'd take him for 400k
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:45 pm
Im cautious of guys like Kennedy... this is the sort of scenario where i wouldnt commit to him unless i saw a little more from him and for a longer period

Specifically for our club, he's not going to solve the problems CNK cant solve and i'd argue CNK is better at the other stuff right now. It's a lateral movement at best imo
I agree that you could bring in Dufty as fullback and shift CNK to the wing/centre and essentially solve 2 problems in 1. You dont need to lose CNK to get Dufty in, but as i explained a few pages back, the money for Dufty on circa 800k+ has got to come from somewhere
That last point is the crux of it. There's nobody off contract anywhere near that kind of money. Those that are off contract would need to replaced by some around the same amount so there's no cumulative savings either. 2021 is not going see any big recruitment drive from the Raiders.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2021, 11:55 am Saying Dufty is worth a punt and stating that CNK is a far superior defensive player that coaches won't be swapping isn't contradictory. Both opinions can be held by one person without conflict.

I'm pretty sure it's contradictory when you're ragging on a guy one minute, and wanting to take him on the next. Almost nothing has changed in those 8 months either.

We're still slow
Our backline is still weak
CNK remains the same player
So does Dufty, albeit playing within what seems to be a better structure, under a better coach

Regardless, as pointing out the foibles of my fellow supporters isn't the game here, I think we should absolutely be going hammer and tong for Dufty. This is the kind of high tide signing that can raise all ships.

The game has moved away from defence only fullbacks. CNK's one of the few that still exist at the top level, and there's a very clear reason for it. He's served his purpose, and I think he's definitely been a good purchase all things considered, but the time comes to evolve and try take your game to the next level.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:56 pm

That last point is the crux of it. There's nobody off contract anywhere near that kind of money. Those that are off contract would need to replaced by some around the same amount so there's no cumulative savings either. 2021 is not going see any big recruitment drive from the Raiders.
Huh? Since when?

By that definition you'd never make any savings under your cap ever.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think you can get incremental savings and create probably something in the realm of 500k just through letting Rapana, Lui, Sia, Havilii and Sam Williams go and replace them in the squad with kids on minimum wage... Finding the rest required to get Dufty is tougher. Especially if you're intending to keep CNK for a wing/centre spot
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

$800k+?! Ok I like Dufty and he's underrated but that's a bit much
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: April 12, 2021, 1:11 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:56 pm

Huh? Since when?

By that definition you'd never make any savings under your cap ever.
You make cap savings by replacing people on high value contracts with people in lower value contracts. Letting people on low value contracts go doesn't create much room at all because they need to be replaced on the roster.