CHN and Horsburgh

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

CHN and Horsburgh

Post by rayden83 »

Another week and again both are omitted from the Seventeen. Is Ricky easing them back into form and fitness, or is his heart so big that he cannot bring himself to drop Sia and Havili? I get that he probably has a better relationship with the latter, and that concerns me because both CHN and Hors are MUCH better players. CHN is a WMD who could walk into any NRL side and Hors will play for QLD and Australia someday. I get Havili’s utility value off the bench but CHN can also play centre. These are X factor players and they should be fast-tracked into the gameday squad rather than languishing in the NSW cup, where they will inevitably become disgruntled and leave the club while we’re stuck with an aging Sia and mediocre Havili.

Is anyone else concerned that Ricky is putting his mates and loyalty before team success? I know people will swarm to defend Ricky, and even though he has been an excellent coach for us, he is not beyond scrutiny.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: CHN and Horsburgh

Post by Finchy »

I am concerned that CHN, Hors, and Guler may get disgruntled and want out if they have to play much more reserve grade. Not sure they'd be willing to wait until Sia retires for one of them to get his spot.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Yeah, Guler is another one I’m concerned about. James has been good value but not sure if he was signed to be a game day lock in.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

It's only a matter of time before other cashed up clubs come knocking...It's definitely a worry
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'm not so much concerned for CHN, as he's a bit older and was really recruited to play in the first 13 here. If he doesn't commit that stupid act then I daresay he's played four first grade games this season. He'll know that he needs to put his head down to get back in the good books.

Guler and Horsebrah, yeah. A tad concerned. At the moment their path looks to be a bit blocked. There has to be a plan going into next year to shed a few of the ageing middles, that Guler and Horse are kinda clued in on, or else I don't like our chances of retention. Both are far too good to be stuck in reserves.
Last edited by afgtnk on April 6, 2021, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I believe all 3 should be in our top 17
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

CHN and Guler im not worried too much about. They've both inked new deals within the last 8 months and whilst they'll want to be playing FG, i think the club has made a commitment to them long term and we have 2-3 forwards in positions they're looking for who are no long for this world

Hors... he's off contract next year, he'll have teams interested for sure and certain.
But im not worried about it yet, i think by week 10 this will have resolved itself and Guler and CHN are going to be in the 17 every week
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

If i didnt think ricky was laying out a clear career path for them id be concerned.
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If those three want to make the top 17 they need to pick up their act on the field in reserve grade and two of them needed to pick up their act off the field.

Some of you guys need to be blaming the player not the coach.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

If we get a few injuries this won't be too much of an issue (like last year when he lost a heap of middles). However if we are one of the lucky teams that doesn't get smashed with too many serious injuries, I'm not sure who misses out. I personally think CHN, Hors, and Guler add more to the team than Sia, Lui, and maybe Havili/Starling(?) (too many hookers with Hodgo fit). However I can't see Ricky dropping any more than one of those guys at a time, unless injuries dictate it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: April 6, 2021, 7:00 pm If i didnt think ricky was laying out a clear career path for them id be concerned.
Guler is honestly the one im most concerned about but he's also the one whos most recently re-signed. I agree with this take. It's worrying but i think we have to have faith and trust in Ricky that he has a plan for these guys, he's spoken with them about it and everyone is on the same page.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

We always knew with the amount of forwards we have that someone quality would be missing out each week. Its also probably safe to say it wouldn't be the Corey's right now had they not made some poor decisions in the off season. At the moment it's hard for them to find their way in due to the fact we are winning and you probably don't have much reason to drop the players helping us to be 3 from 4. But its a long season, and with injuries, suspensions and rep footy even if no one's form drops they will get their chance and then it'll be up to them to maintain it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the last year for Sia Soliola and Jordan Rapana, pretty clearly. That's why they're on one year deals. The quotes I've just read from Dunamis Lui indicate he's struggling with the pace of the game this year. I do like how much effort he puts in and he seems like a really nice guy. But I can't see the club re-signing him for 2022 at this point. I think the younger forwards know there is a transition plan happening.
BJ
Steve Walters

CHN and Horsburgh

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:This is the last year for Sia Soliola and Jordan Rapana, pretty clearly. That's why they're on one year deals. The quotes I've just read from Dunamis Lui indicate he's struggling with the pace of the game this year. I do like how much effort he puts in and he seems like a really nice guy. But I can't see the club re-signing him for 2022 at this point. I think the younger forwards know there is a transition plan happening.
Yep another frank response from Dunamis there. He is certainly honest about his game.
Too many players aren’t honest about their game and cry to the media if they think they’re getting a rough deal when dumped to reserve grade. Primarily Sydney based players.

Papa took it on the chin and came back a better player.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's also important to remember whilst we fans might have some concerns, there has not been a peep out of the boys playing NSW Cup thus far. And its early days yet, but i think it does speak a little bit to the culture of the club. They're not looking for shortcuts, they're trying to forcen their way in
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I am hopeful both CHN and Horsburgh are on the bench of our full strength 17 when the whips are cracking late in the year.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I remember an article about forward rotation, and we have plenty..any niggles should be rested, we have guys that would be first picked for other nrl teams playing reserve grade..
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

There some mail going around Sydney that one of these players is in talks with the Bulldogs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Everyone is talking to the bulldogs

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

That’s where the money is and getting a first grade start. Makes sense

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: April 7, 2021, 6:08 am There some mail going around Sydney that one of these players is in talks with the Bulldogs.

Well it's not going to be CHN is it? :lol:
Hors is off contract in 2022, and yeah i think if im in his position right now i would be looking around at other options
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: April 7, 2021, 8:31 am
LastRaider wrote: April 7, 2021, 6:08 am There some mail going around Sydney that one of these players is in talks with the Bulldogs.

Well it's not going to be CHN is it? :lol:
Hors is off contract in 2022, and yeah i think if im in his position right now i would be looking around at other options
Don't assume it's not CHN. Dogs wanted to keep him. They may be trying to convince him to return.

None of the 3 can be approached officially till the end of this year because of contract situations. Needs the Raiders to give them permission to look elsewhere. Of course player agents have never let that stop them before.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fair enough Hors needs to be looking for FG footy.

He also needs to look at Young's balance of aggro and awareness- coming from a place similar to his own as a hothead. Then consider why "steady as she goes" types like Sia and Lui are getting runs ahead of him... And figure the rest out for himself.

At the moment he's a mile behind Tapine, Papa, James and Sutton. Young too if he becomes a middle again. And he's got stiff competition anyway if CHN stays and becomes a bench middle (Young stays edge). He and Guler are quite different, ideally both stay. If we lose one- with how good James and Sutton are going I think we can wear that and be ok with a year until Rushton and Medlyn and O'Donnel and the rest start coming up into FG.

Having said that, I think Hors is good enough to be in our best 17.
Papa- Hodgo-Sutton
Tapine

James
Havillii/Starling
CHN (Young if not edge)
Hors

If he can't push past Lui, Sia and Guler by years end then it's probably on him. He's got a higher ceiling these days than Lui or Sia and Guler and he are at similar stages. Guler is more reliable but lacks the offload and James has taken up the "massive unit" role that Guler filled somewhat, so there is room for a firebrand younger player in there.
Last edited by BadnMean on April 7, 2021, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

I wouldn't be shocked if Horsburgh mutually parted ways at seasons end. I personally still have him above Guler but the club likely feels the opposite. It's a close call.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

It would be a disgrace to lose Horsburgh. He is the best prop we have produced since Papalii. He is also better than James and Sutton, despite their recent good form. They are good players but Hors will be a great. You know in a few years everyone will look back and say “oops, probably should’ve kept that fella”.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

rayden83 wrote: April 7, 2021, 9:40 am It would be a disgrace to lose Horsburgh. He is the best prop we have produced since Papalii. He is also better than James and Sutton, despite their recent good form. They are good players but Hors will be a great. You know in a few years everyone will look back and say “oops, probably should’ve kept that fella”.
I feel the same. Not necessarily the be a great part though. If he were to leave the only thing that I could think was the club saw something outside of his ability on the field that they didn't like.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Horsburgh vs James and Sutton should not be part of the debate. Those two are comfortably part of our top 17. Lui, Sia and Havili are the guys off contract and also lesser contributors in 1st grade right now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2021, 10:40 am Horsburgh vs James and Sutton should not be part of the debate. Those two are comfortably part of our top 17. Lui, Sia and Havili are the guys off contract and also lesser contributors in 1st grade right now.
Yeah and if we lost Sia and Lui, I wouldn’t complain at all.

Sia’s a gun, but he’s not getting any younger and the game’s only getting quicker.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Here's the pack I'd eventually be transitioning towards over the next two months:

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. James
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Horsburgh
17. CHN
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

The Nickman wrote: April 7, 2021, 1:06 pm Here's the pack I'd eventually be transitioning towards over the next two months:

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. James
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Horsburgh
17. CHN
I think James and Tapine offer similar things in attack and one of them (James) will start on the bench when both are in the 17. No Sutton though....surely you are having a laugh?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Holy ****, surely I'm having a bubble bath, mate!

I, ummmm, don't know who I drop for Sutton, but he should definitely have been in there. Probably Horsburgh.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Maybe you could have another go..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

No.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote: April 6, 2021, 7:05 pm If those three want to make the top 17 they need to pick up their act on the field in reserve grade and two of them needed to pick up their act off the field.

Some of you guys need to be blaming the player not the coach.
Watching them a few weeks back vs the Mounties and there was an argument for them being dropped from reserve grade, let alone being considered for firsts.

Stuart has demonstrated that every player will be given the opportunity if their form warrants.

I love CHNs skillset, but his performances have been miles away from him being an automatic selection.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: April 7, 2021, 1:18 pm Holy ****, surely I'm having a bubble bath, mate!

I, ummmm, don't know who I drop for Sutton, but he should definitely have been in there. Probably Horsburgh.
I love Hors, but no question Sutton is there over him based on form.

It appears Stuart is getting Guler ready to play longer minutes in seconds, rather than short bursts of the bench.