Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Ruben Daley »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 2, 2021, 7:48 pm Edit, first half 4 trick
Hahahaha. I knew that was coming!

I stand by my comments above but wow. That guy is awesome.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Speed kills.

Roosters and Melbourne have plenty of it.

I'd love JAC at 550k, since we have a budget value option at FB.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

He has speed, energy and awareness.
That ability to finish is incredible.
Look at Brian To'oh on Thursday night (the way he finished those two chances). That's what you want from your backline players.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nothing like buying high to kill your cap.

Pap is a great fullback, but we'd be losing a number of top line players to even look at him.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Thing about Pap is he is doing what players going all the way back to Terry Lamb have been doing – lurk around the centre of the field and support the line break.

Sounds simple, but it's the difference between CNK and Pap. CNK ran for 270 metres and broke six tackles against the Titans. Some of those runs were hit-ups that took pressure off the forwards. How many hit-ups does Pap do, I wonder? If CNK saved himself and just jogged in support waiting for a break, I think we'd see his try-scoring numbers go up.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

yurithe1 wrote: April 4, 2021, 10:44 am Thing about Pap is he is doing what players going all the way back to Terry Lamb have been doing – lurk around the centre of the field and support the line break.

Sounds simple, but it's the difference between CNK and Pap. CNK ran for 270 metres and broke six tackles against the Titans. Some of those runs were hit-ups that took pressure off the forwards. How many hit-ups does Pap do, I wonder? If CNK saved himself and just jogged in support waiting for a break, I think we'd see his try-scoring numbers go up.
Exactly. Completely different players with completely different skill sets.

We could really benefit from Paps raw speed, but CNK offers us so much in all circumstances.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The 2 sides run some different systems as well.
There's plays during the game where CNK is set up as first or second receiver on the opposite side to where we are headed with Wighton and Williams so he's not even a chance of being there to back up.
It's probably to give Hodgson an option to go both ways but I'd rather see CNK start behind the play then inject himself on either side instead of in the line.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Watching a replay of the game on Fox, the bit in Sticky's pre-match interview RE desired skillset in a fullback and having them be always on the ball seems to be a bit telling. He seemed like he was yearning for something.

I would not be surprised if we make a move in the player market at some point this season and find CNK in different colours next year.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Agnfk.
Do you want a ball playing fullback or do you want one that can diffuse bombs and save trys and break the line ?
I know what I'd prefer. And your dribble makes no sense.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

His dribble never makes sense
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by gangrenous »

What he wants is to rubbish CNK in 5 posts per day.

He’s gone full Rodman, and not for the first time.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: April 5, 2021, 11:03 am What he wants is to rubbish CNK in 5 posts per day.

Rodman vs McCrone. One of the classics! :lol: I miss that guy.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: April 4, 2021, 2:32 pm Watching a replay of the game on Fox, the bit in Sticky's pre-match interview RE desired skillset in a fullback and having them be always on the ball seems to be a bit telling. He seemed like he was yearning for something.

I would not be surprised if we make a move in the player market at some point this season and find CNK in different colours next year.
I will be astounded if that happens. It would be the shock trade of the season for any club surely.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think it was a Seiffert who said last year he'd be happy to give CNK time to develop his ballplaying. Well it's not looking good so far

At some point we may have to consider just working around him in attacking moves

He's good enough though that unless you can get a top tier fullback, you keep him. I wanted Jahrome Hughes but that's a pipe dream after his season last year
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gangrenous wrote:What he wants is to rubbish CNK in 5 posts per day.

CNK the new Sezar?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 5, 2021, 1:51 pm I think it was a Seiffert who said last year he'd be happy to give CNK time to develop his ballplaying. Well it's not looking good so far

At some point we may have to consider just working around him in attacking moves
We already started that basically. We don't really use him on a sweep to the left anymore- barely seen one this season. Just that we don't seem to have come up with anything else yet either.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

BadnMean wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: April 5, 2021, 1:51 pm I think it was a Seiffert who said last year he'd be happy to give CNK time to develop his ballplaying. Well it's not looking good so far

We already started that basically. We don't really use him on a sweep to the left anymore- barely seen one this season. Just that we don't seem to have come up with anything else yet either.
Agree. We also have started the use CNK to feed the scrum as he offers very little in the backline in attack.

I think that is the key is to just play him to his strengths which is defence and the hard hit ups out of our own end. His lack of ball play and turtle pace locks him into that.

Further to this we need to get someone else with a bit of pace to push up through the middle in attack. This needs to be Bailey, Kris or Starling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
gangrenous wrote:What he wants is to rubbish CNK in 5 posts per day.

CNK the new Sezar?
Sure is. Now you know it can’t be unseen.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

I can’t remember what we signed CNK for but would it be true in saying that he would be close to the lowest paid starting fullback in the comp?

In a position that some teams are paying huge chunks of the salary comp we are certainly getting a good return on our investment.

If we were to upgrade we would need to move a few players on.

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

RTW wrote:I can’t remember what we signed CNK for but would it be true in saying that he would be close to the lowest paid starting fullback in the comp?

In a position that some teams are paying huge chunks of the salary comp we are certainly getting a good return on our investment.

We upgraded him in 2019

RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Danaman137 wrote:
RTW wrote:I can’t remember what we signed CNK for but would it be true in saying that he would be close to the lowest paid starting fullback in the comp?

We upgraded him in 2019

Yes but from memory the upgrade was still very low wasn’t it?

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think it went from minimum wage to mid 300k-s?

If that’s correct then he is indeed one of if not the cheapest full time fullbacks in the competition. His strength is definitely his positioning, defense and up tempo play when we’re on a role. In fact I think his attacking game is actually closer to some of the smaller locks than a natural fullback. With Hodgson at hooker and a bigger lock I don’t think the current team can really forfeit that strength this season.

I think some way, some how, the team needs incorporate Whitehead’s ability to ball play more than it does currently. I think this would work better with him almost playing as a right side pivot in attack a bit like Wade Graham on the left for Cronulla. So the backrowers swap sides. But I can’t see that happening.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Neeeegz wrote: April 5, 2021, 7:41 am Agnfk.
Do you want a ball playing fullback or do you want one that can diffuse bombs and save trys and break the line ?
I know what I'd prefer. And your dribble makes no sense.
....... I want both.

You do know that's possible, right? And not unattainable?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

A quick scan of starting fullbacks this year. I don’t think Isaako, Will Kennedy or Daine Laurie would be on too much. Dogs have a bunch of possible fullbacks with Meaney, Allen and DWZ. No idea what those guys are being paid.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

It’s safe to say we just don’t play a style of game that utilises a conventional ball playing fullback.
We would probably see more from a Jack in the box that trails our forwards through the ruck given our propensity to play more in the middle.
It’s probably the only downside to CNK’s game - his lack of ‘off the mark’ speed to play that role.
Either way, I just don’t see us making a play for a fullback anytime soon...not while our game plan isn’t centred around the conventional ball playing fullback.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2021, 6:04 pm It’s safe to say we just don’t play a style of game that utilises a conventional ball playing fullback.
We would probably see more from a Jack in the box that trails our forwards through the ruck given our propensity to play more in the middle.
It’s probably the only downside to CNK’s game - his lack of ‘off the mark’ speed to play that role.
Either way, I just don’t see us making a play for a fullback anytime soon...not while our game plan isn’t centred around the conventional ball playing fullback.
I don't think that's the case tbh, rather we don't have the player currently in the position to play that style of game. We try to or have tried to, and certainly did when Jack was in the position. There are numerous moments within our matches where the situation is screaming out for one.

Anyways, though the response to a mere mentioning of CNK is now predictable, my point was mainly to make an observation regarding what Sticky said pre-match. Reading between the lines, he doesn't seem to be content.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:A quick scan of starting fullbacks this year. I don’t think Isaako, Will Kennedy or Daine Laurie would be on too much. Dogs have a bunch of possible fullbacks with Meaney, Allen and DWZ. No idea what those guys are being paid.
I think other than Meaney and Will Kennedy the others are in decent coin.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: April 5, 2021, 7:40 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2021, 6:04 pm It’s safe to say we just don’t play a style of game that utilises a conventional ball playing fullback.
I don't think that's the case tbh, rather we don't have the player currently in the position to play that style of game. We try to or have tried to, and certainly did when Jack was in the position. There are numerous moments within our matches where the situation is screaming out for one.

Anyways, though the response to a mere mentioning of CNK is now predictable, my point was mainly to make an observation regarding what Sticky said pre-match. Reading between the lines, he doesn't seem to be content.
But Jack wasn’t cutting it at Fullback, hence the change.
We opted for a more defensive mindset across the park (shifted Austin) and the result is this grind fest play style we see every week.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2021, 7:52 pm

We opted for a more defensive mindset across the park (shifted Austin) and the result is this grind fest play style we see every week.
Did that happen by design, or through necessity and chance?

I seem to recall we offered a very generous contract to Austin, just like we did to Boyd and Paulo - two guys who were large contributors to our lazy middle defence. There's every chance Austin would still be here if simply didn't value himself as high he did, and consequently I don't think Jack moves either. We moved Jack/recruited CNK only because we needed to cover the position, as it was late in the year as I recall and hence difficult to recruit.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

BJ wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:A quick scan of starting fullbacks this year. I don’t think Isaako, Will Kennedy or Daine Laurie would be on too much. Dogs have a bunch of possible fullbacks with Meaney, Allen and DWZ. No idea what those guys are being paid.
I think other than Meaney and Will Kennedy the others are in decent coin.
Further to that the Sharks have Moylan on the fullback coin and the dogs have both Allen and Hopoate who at times were thought of fullbacks and signed on more coin then CNK.

CNK is signed as our number one fullback and according to old articles ( who knows how accurate they are) he is on less then 400k a year.

True as some have stated it would great to have ball playing in his arsenal but you have to pay for that and for balance of squad I am happy with what he could provide with his skill set.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the CNK dicussion is very tough.

He's an excellent footballer, as a fullback he ticks probably 9/10 boxes. As a person he's wonderful. The sort of guy a club like ours really loves having because of the positive impact he has on the community
From a cap perspective, he's a bargain, even on his new deal. This is a spine player, a pretty good one being paid absolute pittence

But the one box he doesnt tick is the most important box, and might be the difference between being able to hang with the teams like the Panthers.
The ball playing is a major handicap on our offence.

Would improvements on ball playing offset the all the other benefits? including the cap situation, the defensive side of the ball, the running metres he gives us?
No idea, that's why it's so tough.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: April 5, 2021, 8:01 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2021, 7:52 pm

Did that happen by design, or through necessity and chance?

I seem to recall we offered a very generous contract to Austin, just like we did to Boyd and Paulo - two guys who were large contributors to our lazy middle defence. There's every chance Austin would still be here if simply didn't value himself as high he did, and consequently I don't think Jack moves either. We moved Jack/recruited CNK only because we needed to cover the position, as it was late in the year as I recall and hence difficult to recruit.
Boyd and Paulo were allowed to walk after they decided to test the market. Whether by design or luck it was the right move.
Jack was moved from fullback to play in the halves (where Ricky has always claimed his best position) and the club sourced CNK through Cappy’s connections during his time at the Warriors.
At the end of the day the team is structured to play through the middle and rely heavily on adlib work of our hooker and halves and less on a ball playing fullback off a pass out the back.
I can’t see that changing because it’s clear as day we are heavily invested in having potent middle rotation and depth.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: April 5, 2021, 8:22 pm the CNK dicussion is very tough.

He's an excellent footballer, as a fullback he ticks probably 9/10 boxes. As a person he's wonderful. The sort of guy a club like ours really loves having because of the positive impact he has on the community
From a cap perspective, he's a bargain, even on his new deal. This is a spine player, a pretty good one being paid absolute pittence

But the one box he doesnt tick is the most important box, and might be the difference between being able to hang with the teams like the Panthers.
The ball playing is a major handicap on our offence.

Would improvements on ball playing offset the all the other benefits? including the cap situation, the defensive side of the ball, the running metres he gives us?
No idea, that's why it's so tough.
Panthers are the wrong club to compare fullbacks with.
Edwards is nothing flashy IMO.
The Panthers get you because of the kicking game of Cleary and his connection with Luai.
They work hard in the middle (like us) but have better outside backs (Crichton, To’o and Stains) when it comes to speed and finishing.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

No i wasnt comparing our fullback with the panthers fullback. That wasnt what i meant by that

i was saying to keep up with the panthers in their ability to score points. They have more bullets in the chamber
But whilst edwards is not flashy, he can ball play a little bit, and that helps get the footy into their strike players. Which is why they're very potent
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: April 5, 2021, 8:29 pm No i wasnt comparing our fullback with the panthers fullback. That wasnt what i meant by that

i was saying to keep up with the panthers in their ability to score points. They have more bullets in the chamber
But whilst edwards is not flashy, he can ball play a little bit, and that helps get the footy into their strike players. Which is why they're very potent
Yeah he ball plays better than CNK. But we can all agree that’s not hard to do. He’s not among the best in the competition but he doesn’t need to be largely because of your other point.....The Panthers are indeed loaded with bullets.

They ball play among the forwards and their backs finish chances almost all the time.

The Kikau edge is lethal too...

This means Edwards doesn’t have to be the focus with ball playing , notwithstanding he is better at it than CNK.