14%
Panthers 13+
32%

Total votes: 22

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: 2020 Rd 5 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by 1992 »

People calling for Young on the bench...

He has shown he can play on an edge. He is one of the inform back rowers in the comp, yeah, let's bench him for that drink driving guy.

The drink driving guy is a good player who will have to earn it or fluke it back in.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Leave Young where he is, he's gone to another level since winning that jersey

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This would be a game I would happily play Young on the edge even if CHN was in the team and playing great

Everything I’ve seen this year has cemented in my mind what his skill set is and where it is best suited
However he is our best option to answer Kikau. If all he does is tackle that dude and stop him wrecking our game, that’s a perfectly cromulent contribution.

So that’s that on that for me this week
We can talk edge after this
I would like to see Guler and CHN come I on the bench for Sia and Lui
But i don’t see changes coming
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I think Tapine and Scott are still a week away, so I don't expect any changes for round 5 other than which middles start and which come off the bench.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: April 4, 2021, 9:36 pm Leave Young where he is, he's gone to another level since winning that jersey

I don’t agree with this at all.

I think him being kept there defensively makes sense. But he went to another level late last season playing in the middle and he’s continued that.

Agree with Pig saying that everything great he’s doing on an edge is also suited to middle third play.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I agree that Young is better suited to the middle.
But there is ZERO chance he is moved for CHN this weekend.
I’ll also add, given our overloaded middle rotation, Young will be on the edge (barring injury, suspension or form) for the remainder of the season.

For me our best pack includes:

13. Tapine
12. Whitehead
11. Young
10. Papalii
9. Hodgson
8. James

14. Sutton
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. Havili
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

julian87 wrote: April 5, 2021, 6:55 am
-TW- wrote: April 4, 2021, 9:36 pm Leave Young where he is, he's gone to another level since winning that jersey

I think him being kept there defensively makes sense. But he went to another level late last season playing in the middle and he’s continued that.

Agree with Pig saying that everything great he’s doing on an edge is also suited to middle third play.
Huddo is being set up to be our long term edge back rower. Not going to change. We have enough middles.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

GreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2021, 7:33 am I agree that Young is better suited to the middle.
But there is ZERO chance he is moved for CHN this weekend.
I’ll also add, given our overloaded middle rotation, Young will be on the edge (barring injury, suspension or form) for the remainder of the season.

For me our best pack includes:

13. Tapine
12. Whitehead
11. Young
10. Papalii
9. Hodgson
8. James

14. Sutton
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. Havili
Swap sutton and james and consider chn once redeemed. Its a tough call
Dont delete this GE
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think everyone should be really excited for Friday night. What did Penrith win last year, 16 or 17 before the GF? 4 in a row this year. Doesn’t get any bigger test, Friday night in front of a packed stadium.

For Penrith too, for the most part they have gone on this remarkable run in front of very small or no crowds, even the GF wasn’t anywhere near the same. Now on what is predicted to be a mild night, I think all the seats can be used, might still be some reduced capacity in the grass areas, but I expect it to be sold out and buzzing.

I am pretty sure they will be doing things for the 30 year anniversary of their first premiership.

We are going to see where we are at. Bring it on.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Agreed. Panthers by 40.
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Super excited.

My take - Raiders D will bring it. The question is if we have 20+ points in us, which is a hard sell right now.

Just compete and I will be happy.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I find it hard to evaluate Hudson's attacking game as a second rower for the simple reason that we have no cohesion at all on that side of the field. As a result all he does is take hitups, reinforcing what we already know that he can be an excellent middle. My suspicion is however that if he were to ever get any quality ball a couple of passes wide of the ruck he'd be an absolute monster, he definitely appears to have the power, footwork and skill to be a threat in that position. Looking forward to him taking it to Kikau on Friday.

In general, we're going to need to be a lot better. In last year's clash we actually had the ball for 8 minutes or so to start the game, failed to score and then capitulated once they got some footy. We're going to need to take our chances if we're to have any hope, if we can start well and get ahead early we might just be able to take the crowd out of the equation and make a real game of it. Either way, we'll know a bit more about this team in a week's time.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I rate our team much higher than most.
Actually tipped a Raiders v Penrith GF at the start of the season.
Really looking forward to Friday night to gauge where we are at.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

twistedbydesign wrote:I find it hard to evaluate Hudson's attacking game as a second rower for the simple reason that we have no cohesion at all on that side of the field. As a result all he does is take hitups, reinforcing what we already know that he can be an excellent middle. My suspicion is however that if he were to ever get any quality ball a couple of passes wide of the ruck he'd be an absolute monster, he definitely appears to have the power, footwork and skill to be a threat in that position. Looking forward to him taking it to Kikau on Friday.

In general, we're going to need to be a lot better. In last year's clash we actually had the ball for 8 minutes or so to start the game, failed to score and then capitulated once they got some footy. We're going to need to take our chances if we're to have any hope, if we can start well and get ahead early we might just be able to take the crowd out of the equation and make a real game of it. Either way, we'll know a bit more about this team in a week's time.
We'd all like to see a more expansive game plan where our edges get quality, early ball but...

If we've all been watching the same team over the past few years we'd all recognise that we simply don't play like that. Our game revolves around the middle of the field. We play a tight game and a backline move is pretty much Jack having a run. They do occasionally pop up and we're all pleasantly surprised, like the first try on Saturday.

We have a coach that is so bloody minded about completions that 4 one out hit ups and a kick is our game plan. And tbf it has gotten us into a good position where we are amongst it in September. I don't believe it is enough for October success though.

Our backrowers are both creative but aren't given the opportunity. At another club Whitehead would be considered one of the better ball-playing backrowers in the comp, imo. We don't play that way. We play to our strengths, which is a power game through the middle off the back of Papalii and a crafty 'crash-ball' hooker. And the distribution of our salary cap also shows this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2020 Rd 5 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

All I can say is, I’m glad we are playing Penrith early in the season to get this game out of the way. Penrith will win, I’m just hoping to see some good signs in attack this week that we can build on.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well I'll reserve judgement about where we are relative to Penrith until after the game. The good thing about playing top teams is you find out where you're at. The only time we looked out of our depth last year was v Penrith and Storm, so it will be interesting (also Knights but can treat that as anomaly)

They certainly deserve to be favourites, I'll say that
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I think we have a lot of improvement left. So a loss isnt the end of the world. I worry that we struggle to score points.

The culture at our club is good and we have strong D to compete.

Young is playing well and should stay. Kris over any of our other centres we have on our books- need to remember this kid has only played a handful of games and is proving to be a handful.

Id lile to see Horsburgh back... he was good for us before getting injured. Is he in form?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I expect this team against the Panthers:

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Sebastian Kris
15. Siliva Havili
16. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Ryan James

I also expect this to be our first choice 17 for the remainder of the season with Havili the only maybe. I personally would like to see Horsburgh or Guler in 15 instead by seasons end.
Last edited by Wiki Special on April 5, 2021, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

gergreg wrote: April 5, 2021, 9:58 am
twistedbydesign wrote:I find it hard to evaluate Hudson's attacking game as a second rower for the simple reason that we have no cohesion at all on that side of the field. As a result all he does is take hitups, reinforcing what we already know that he can be an excellent middle. My suspicion is however that if he were to ever get any quality ball a couple of passes wide of the ruck he'd be an absolute monster, he definitely appears to have the power, footwork and skill to be a threat in that position. Looking forward to him taking it to Kikau on Friday.

We'd all like to see a more expansive game plan where our edges get quality, early ball but...

If we've all been watching the same team over the past few years we'd all recognise that we simply don't play like that. Our game revolves around the middle of the field. We play a tight game and a backline move is pretty much Jack having a run. They do occasionally pop up and we're all pleasantly surprised, like the first try on Saturday.

We have a coach that is so bloody minded about completions that 4 one out hit ups and a kick is our game plan. And tbf it has gotten us into a good position where we are amongst it in September. I don't believe it is enough for October success though.

Our backrowers are both creative but aren't given the opportunity. At another club Whitehead would be considered one of the better ball-playing backrowers in the comp, imo. We don't play that way. We play to our strengths, which is a power game through the middle off the back of Papalii and a crafty 'crash-ball' hooker. And the distribution of our salary cap also shows this.

100% agree. We dont have the attacking game plan to pressure top sides.. I think if we continue to simply attack down the middle and rely on Jack's running game we will be found out.

I think we would do well to put 2 tries on them. Realistically id say we only got 1 in us against Panthers.

I feel like we have the players to change this. It may just be that Stuart recognises we dont have the pace in our backs to play this way?

Frankly, we struggled in all games to put pojnts on in all our games. Titans' attack was really really really bad.. Sharks probably should have beaten us as well. And we all know about the warriors game but that shouldnt count.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm quietly confident, actually. I think we can beat them.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

benda wrote: April 5, 2021, 12:40 pm

100% agree. We dont have the attacking game plan to pressure top sides.. I think if we continue to simply attack down the middle and rely on Jack's running game we will be found out.

I think we would do well to put 2 tries on them. Realistically id say we only got 1 in us against Panthers.

I feel like we have the players to change this. It may just be that Stuart recognises we dont have the pace in our backs to play this way?

Frankly, we struggled in all games to put pojnts on in all our games. Titans' attack was really really really bad.. Sharks probably should have beaten us as well. And we all know about the warriors game but that shouldnt count.
You do realise Penrith have only scored 17 more points than us this year? They also have had a much softer draw so far.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

raiderskater wrote: April 5, 2021, 12:47 pm I'm quietly confident, actually. I think we can beat them.
Of course we can beat them haha... We are a top 4 side and have been for years now
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

benda wrote: April 5, 2021, 12:40 pm

That's subjective. 3 games against duds in Cowboys, Dogs and Manly. Win against Melbourne without Cleary not an easy one. Noted they only scored 12 points. Conditions were awful just like our game vs Sharks. Ironically the same scoreline.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I agree with this in the most part, but still think there is a sizable difference between our left and right edges. Wighton, Croker, and Whitehead have played a lot of footy together and whilst we rarely spread the ball, we look fairly cohesive on their side when we do. On the other hand the right has been populated with individually brilliant players like Bateman and BJ and not really had any shape or flow for years. Whilst I don't expect us to stray from being a conservative side I do think a little bit more variety is going to be necessary if we're to really give this thing a shake, and would love to see a bit more of our halves playing both sides of the field and thus bring Kris (/Scott), Young and Bailey into the game.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

It really is something how much we rely on our middles. I'm not sure I've seen anything like it. It's almost a bit of a cheat code, we don't have to do the backline smarts and strategies to score points, because our middles are just that good. They are supposed to be the tradesmen of the team, and we use them for scoring the tries too 😂

You're right, the right side has been ad hoc for a long time, going back to Leipana/Austin days
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

As others have noted, Raiders over the last couple of years have a blueprint for winning consistently against most teams in the comp.

I’ll be keen to see some variation in strategy against a stronger team like the Panthers this week. Excited to see how the game plays out (although a similar excitement was had last year for the Panthers game!).
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Interestingly, it's our first half defence that got us in trouble vs Panthers and Storm. For all the talk about our attack (rightly imo), it was the defence that capitulated

Will be v v interesting game
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yes and no. As someone mentioned earlier, in the Panthers game Raiders dominated in the first 10 mins and were unable to score. Had they been able to convert that pressure to points, the game might play out differently.

But you make a good point that attack isn’t the only worry against a good team. Storm dismantled our edges.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wiki Special wrote: April 4, 2021, 11:04 am
IBG wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:37 am
TongueFTW wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:15 am Putting CHN on to mark up against Kikau and Luai is a horrible idea.
100%. Look at the job Young did on Fifita last night. He's a much better defender, he was aggressive and in his face all night.
Young will be wearing the 11 for the season barring any huge drop off in form.
Oooh. Controversial!

You're correct though. Nobody has gone close to pushing him out of that position.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

When is Team List Tuesday?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

reptar wrote: April 5, 2021, 4:00 pm When is Team List Tuesday?
Tuesday
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: April 5, 2021, 7:41 am
julian87 wrote: April 5, 2021, 6:55 am

Huddo is being set up to be our long term edge back rower. Not going to change. We have enough middles.
It wont be his future for long if he doesnt figure out what he's doing as a line runner on the edge. Whitehead should be able to help, and studying the Kikau tape should help. Hope we see it soon.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The more I think about it the more I think Havili is a really key player this season. The speed of the game means coaches are going to have to use their bench smartly. I think Starling will have to play a role at some point and his pace from dummy half could be a telling factor somewhere along the line.

But Havili being able to play a pretty competent 30-40 minutes as a running forward and cover hooker is a real, real positive imo.

I think once things settle a bit we’ll see Havili as one of three bench forwards and a utility back as #17. If CHN reaches peak fitness he may even be able to be that utility if he can still cover centre.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Our edge defence will be exposed

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: April 5, 2021, 1:58 pm Yes and no. As someone mentioned earlier, in the Panthers game Raiders dominated in the first 10 mins and were unable to score. Had they been able to convert that pressure to points, the game might play out differently.

But you make a good point that attack isn’t the only worry against a good team. Storm dismantled our edges.
Like almost all teams, IMO our biggest weakness is defending teams with good pace on the wings, particularly if they have halves with the skill to exploit it.

I think we defend inside balls in the middle quite well, so the likes of Papenhuyzen sniffing around for offloads in the middle doesn't worry me as much.

Our edge defence has improved markedly on last year. Young playing in the second row instead of Bateman has been a factor in that regard.