Dunamis Lui

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Dunamis Lui

Post by -TW- »

Thoughts?

I honestly think he's on his last legs with us. He's been dropped already, only to return with Tapine's injury and has been producing meagre returns in limited minutes.

I just can't see how we keep carrying him long term

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Dunamis Lui

Post by zim »

I can't see him being re-signed at the moment... I think he should be leveraging his run from last year into a multi-year deal somewhere else that lacks experience. I thought liva would have been doing the same.
There are some teams that could really benefit from what those 2 can add to a squad.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Cows could do with his reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Is he injured? He’s not the same player that he was..
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I'm thinking that he knows this is his last year with us, he's not the same player as the last few seasons so far, he may lift again, but squad management will decide his future. And if medlyn looks the goods as a middle, then Lui will not be here in 2022
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I don’t think he has done a lot wrong.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bay53 wrote:I don’t think he has done a lot wrong.
he hasn't but he's got Guler, Hors, O'Donnell, Medlyn, Mooney breathing down his neck and our pack has the experience already

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

How he Keeps Horse and Guler out is beyond me
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders666 wrote:How he Keeps Horse and Guler out is beyond me
Agree. Let’s not forget CHN

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I mean I get the D.U.I thing but surely they have served the time
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

A Lui player swap for a position of need would be extremely valuable to us if possible. Dunamis deserves a 2 year deal somewhere after this season, I hope a great club player like him gets it.

Something like McGuire going to Dragons, Lui to Cowboys and us getting a Dragons player may work. I don't know the Dragons roster well enough to know if anyone suits us though.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Wiki Special wrote: April 5, 2021, 11:19 am A Lui player swap for a position of need would be extremely valuable to us if possible. Dunamis deserves a 2 year deal somewhere after this season, I hope a great club player like him gets it.

Something like McGuire going to Dragons, Lui to Cowboys and us getting a Dragons player may work. I don't know the Dragons roster well enough to know if anyone suits us though.
Lomax will do...
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Raiders666 wrote:I mean I get the D.U.I thing but surely they have served the time
Because Sticky gets the D.(L)ui thing

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

EJ wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:I mean I get the D.U.I thing but surely they have served the time
Because Sticky gets the D.(L)ui thing

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I love players that prove me wrong
Lui has done that, i did not think he had a level of play in him that he showed over the last 18 months.
I had him pegged as a perfect squad middle, he's going to be your 5th or 6th best middle who can come in for a few weeks and do a job for you... he's better than that but interestingly for me he's still actually in that role for this squad simply because of the quality it has in the middle

IMO there is no doubt that Papalii, Tapine, Sutton, James, Guler and Young are better middles than him. But he's good enough to be in the top 17 of most clubs and a starting front rower at some. If he wants that opportunity, i wouldnt deny him that.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Also proved me wrong big time last year. I’m very hesitant to write him off. I think he deserves way more than the benefit of the doubt considering the performances he turned in last season while Guler, Hors, Bateman, Soliola and Sutton even? were out.

My guess is that season, his age and the origin campaign which then affected his preseason has just taken a bit out of him. I’d say that’s the reason for the limited minutes and dropping. I think he’ll be good later in the season but until then, considering Soliolas age and Guler/Hors/CHN in reserve grade he probably needs to get back to his best in NSW Cup. No knock on him at all but I’m concerned the current set up is going to burn Papalii, Sutton and co out because it’s a long and up tempo season.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Lui is a good player who has done nothing wrong, however he is simply down the pecking order now that Horsburgh has returned and Sutton has showing significant improvement. Same with Soliola, they are both on borrowed time.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah I don't think he's done much wrong so far this season. He's just not getting much time as per Ricky's rotation strat and being outshone by guys who are probably innately better.

Disregarding form and speaking only in terms of ability, I think he's probably ranked 7th or 8th out of our middles anyway. Form of respective players will naturally fluctuate throughout, so I feel this is just a regression towards the mean.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I certainly find it unlucky that the one game Lui missed was against the Warriors when we really needed him off the bench and he played 70 minutes for the Raiders NSW cup game that same weekend.

Lui has been a bargain basement prop and a perfect clubman. He deserves a good final contract at another club he will add value at. I wish him well. He’d add a lot of professionalism to some clubs with his renowned work ethic and support for his teammates. Him and Papa are best mates. If he wants another $250k a season contract (as reported in the Tele) I’d happily extend him. But I don’t think that’s an option.

He must have a good football brain as Ricky said he led a few game review sessions last season and came up with some good analysis and tactics. I’ve always wrapped Lui’s goal line defence and ability to stop offloads by grabbing the ball carrying arm.

But I also said I’d rather pick CHN in his position this week. So I’m always a realist and always try and select the best team to win. So may the best performing player win.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I get the impression Ricky is front loading the rotation of our middles this season to avoid fatigue and injury issues.

Come season end I wouldn’t be surprised if our rotation is nothing like what we are currently running...

And that’s where I see players like Lui, Guler and Horse in the mix.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Wiki Special wrote: April 5, 2021, 11:19 am A Lui player swap for a position of need would be extremely valuable to us if possible. Dunamis deserves a 2 year deal somewhere after this season, I hope a great club player like him gets it.

I see he's 31 years old. Maybe we could swap him to a club that might need a player like him, for a player we could use. How about Lui to the Dogs and we'll take the underperforming Cotric off their hands?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Lui_Bon wrote: April 6, 2021, 1:27 am

I see he's 31 years old. Maybe we could swap him to a club that might need a player like him, for a player we could use. How about Lui to the Dogs and we'll take the underperforming Cotric off their hands?
That Cotric contract is looking like a disaster. They'll have to pay so much of it if they try and move him on after this season.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

GreenMachine wrote: April 5, 2021, 8:51 pm I get the impression Ricky is front loading the rotation of our middles this season to avoid fatigue and injury issues.

Come season end I wouldn’t be surprised if our rotation is nothing like what we are currently running...

And that’s where I see players like Lui, Guler and Horse in the mix.
ive thought this as well. i expect to see lui play against any team outside the top 6 for most of the season
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It would be genuinely **** great if this year continues to be a disaster, and the dogs end up paying major freight for Cotric to return to Raiders
I dont see that happening as from what i heard, Cotric was eager to be in a bigger city at this stage of his life, but maybe 12 months later he finds that's not really for him...

i'd howl with laughter if that happened. They can pay him 350k of his 650k and we'll take on the rest and get Nick back :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I doubt that Bulldogs would release a player with the potential of Cotric. I’d reckon they’d be more likely to move him to lock or second row to get him more involved.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think before that they'll put the 2 or 5 on his back and stop the charade.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: April 6, 2021, 12:49 pm I think before that they'll put the 2 or 5 on his back and stop the charade.
yeah they're already trending that way
Feels like to me he and his representation said they wanted him to play centre and the dogs said "yeah sure, we'll give you a shot at it. im sure you'll be great there and everything will be wonderful... if it doesnt work out we'll just move you back to the wing..."

probably fully understanding he was going to be back on the wing by mid season :lol:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

If he was in a better team I'm sure he could make a crack at it but the dogs have so many issues you can't have the guy on 650k learning how to first grade centre. They need the best of what he offers right now.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Out of anyone, I suspect Ricky Stuart is feeling quite smug about the Cotric situation.

The stubborn prick refused to play him at centre despite our dire predicament. I'm sure he's feeling quite justified in his assessment.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 6, 2021, 3:01 pm Out of anyone, I suspect Ricky Stuart is feeling quite smug about the Cotric situation.

The stubborn prick refused to play him at centre despite our dire predicament. I'm sure he's feeling quite justified in his assessment.
He's been fairly justified in letting all the players walk who wanted more money. It's hasn't exactly worked out for them (Cotric, Boyd, Leilua, etc). Take the big $$$ at a rubbish club at your own peril and watch your chance of playing finals/winning finals, playing rep footy, or even having a first grade career disappear!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: April 6, 2021, 12:54 pm
zim wrote: April 6, 2021, 12:49 pm I think before that they'll put the 2 or 5 on his back and stop the charade.
Feels like to me he and his representation said they wanted him to play centre and the dogs said "yeah sure, we'll give you a shot at it. im sure you'll be great there and everything will be wonderful... if it doesnt work out we'll just move you back to the wing..."

probably fully understanding he was going to be back on the wing by mid season :lol:
He's named in the number 2 on the wing this week!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote: April 6, 2021, 6:32 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: April 6, 2021, 3:01 pm Out of anyone, I suspect Ricky Stuart is feeling quite smug about the Cotric situation.

He's been fairly justified in letting all the players walk who wanted more money. It's hasn't exactly worked out for them (Cotric, Boyd, Leilua, etc). Take the big $$$ at a rubbish club at your own peril and watch your chance of playing finals/winning finals, playing rep footy, or even having a first grade career disappear!
Yep. I'm not sure if he learnt from the Milford case (which IMO was as much about publicly highlighting the sham of the Broncos cap), but since then he has been spot on with what our players are offered.

Bateman was another one. I was very proud of how the club handled that ridiculous situation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: April 6, 2021, 6:38 pm
Botman wrote: April 6, 2021, 12:54 pm

He's named in the number 2 on the wing this week!
Ooooof
That was a short stint :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Remember when fans here were bemoaning that Cotric should have played at Centre for the Raiders. Now Cotric can’t even win that position at the woeful Bulldogs.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Fans here were also bemoaning that Cotric should've played Fullback for us too. Beggars belief really.

Dude at this stage is a winger and nothing else. He may become a quality centre one day. May. Right now though, he's a rep level winger and a run of the mill NRL centre at best.