Post by greeneyed »

2020 Rd 5 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Friday 9 April 7:55pm
Panthers Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502, Nine
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

After a solid, grinding win over the Titans, the Canberra Raiders head back to Sydney in Round 5 for a clash with the high flying Penrith Panthers. Who would you like to see line up for the Green Machine in Round 5? Tell us your team here and see how you go in comparison to the official squad when announced. We will include the official line ups in the first post of this thread as soon as they're available.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Siliva Havili
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan James

18. Sam Williams
19. Semi Valemei
20. Dunamis Lui
21. Corey Harawira-Naera

Injury/Suspension
Curtis Scott, Ribs, (Rd 6)
Harley Smith-Shields, Biceps tendon (Rd 20-22)

Penrith Panthers

1. Stephen Crichton
2. Charlie Staines
3. Paul Momirovski
4. Matt Burton
5. Brian To'o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary (c)
8. Moses Leota
9. Mitch Kenny
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Isaah Yeo (c)

14. Tyrone May
15. Spencer Leniu
16. Matt Eienhuth
17. Liam Martin

18. Scott Sorensen
19. Robert Jennings
20. J'maine Hopgood
21. Jaeman Salmon

Injury/Suspension

Dylan Edwards, Hand (Rd 8)
Api Koroisau, Wrist (Rd 8-10)

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Todd Smith, Phil Henderson
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Junior Representatives teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLPanthersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: 2020 Rd 5 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by Raiders666 »

Dylan Edwards is a big loss for Penrith.. The fullback position is a definite weakness for them at the moment. Hopefully we can exploit it
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Changes:
CHN for Lui
Guler for Soliola

As long as they both bought a good attitude to their reserve grade game today.

Stuart singled out a few last week for not putting in last week and that was why he said Lui won a spot for this week.

Let’s hope they reacted to the coaches wishes. I saw the good result and flogging score but not the game itself.

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Stuart should have a long chat with Bellamy this week about the Panthers because he has the blue print. Rush Cleary, particularly on the last tackle. Stack the left side (our right) defensively, make them go right where Capewell and Momorovski are nowhere near as threatening. Kick to To’o, then look to smash Staines on tackle 2/3. Our starting pack have a big job on their hands, but they lose a bit when Yeo, Leota and JFH have their stint.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

James to the starting 13
Lui out for CHN, CHN to the second row
Young to the bench
An outside back for Starling. If we're gonna pick a guy who's gonna get **** all game time, let's pick for a position we have no proper cover for across five players
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

afgtnk wrote: April 3, 2021, 10:17 pm James to the starting 13
Young to the bench
An outside back for Starling. If we're gonna pick a guy who's gonna get **** all game time, let's pick for a position we have no proper cover for across five players
Hudson Young will 100% be starting second row.

There's no way CHN is just going to waltz into starting side, especially when Young hasn't put a foot wrong.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

He probably will. In fact, the whole side will probably be unchanged, unless we get returns from injury. We all know how much Stick loves keeping a winning side unchanged.

That won't change me thinkng CHN needs to play on the right edge - we just have no threat there in attack at the moment, and he's an attack minded player whose biggest strength is running lines and drawing defenders. That's what we've bought him for, and we did it not with the intention of keeping him in reserves I suspect.

Young does his best work playing like a middle - tough and straight at them. I'm yet to see anything that suggests he's actually going to be better out wide.
Last edited by afgtnk on April 3, 2021, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’m happy for Lui to be rotated out. Just don’t think he’s at the level we need to beat a team like Penrith.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Lui's played 10 less minutes in his three games this season combined than Sutton just did tonight.

Yes we got the win, but at some point Stick has to question the efficiency of the middle rotations he's selecting - especially in terms of fatigue/workload and fitness levels over the season (not to mention the quality of our depth).
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Can't see Ricky picking CHN for at least 4 weeks if not longer, Hors will be back first
Vaccinated
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

afgtnk wrote: April 3, 2021, 11:17 pm He probably will. In fact, the whole side will probably be unchanged, unless we get returns from injury. We all know how much Stick loves keeping a winning side unchanged.

That won't change me thinkng CHN needs to play on the right edge - we just have no threat there in attack at the moment, and he's an attack minded player whose biggest strength is running lines and drawing defenders. That's what we've bought him for, and we did it not with the intention of keeping him in reserves I suspect.

Young does his best work playing like a middle - tough and straight at them. I'm yet to see anything that suggests he's actually going to be better out wide.
I don't think CHN will make a difference at the moment.

The only option we seem to have is Williams taking first receiver and either shifting it to Young with little space, or dropping it off for an inside run.

There just doesn't seem to be a route for the halves to combine going to the right or for CNK to provide a link.

None of the will change with CHN instead of Young.

There needs to be some kind of change. We can't only be a threat playing right to left.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Putting CHN on to mark up against Kikau and Luai is a horrible idea.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

TongueFTW wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:15 am Putting CHN on to mark up against Kikau and Luai is a horrible idea.
100%. Look at the job Young did on Fifita last night. He's a much better defender, he was aggressive and in his face all night.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I'm not 100% sure what Lui brings to the team...I'd bring Horsburgh into the side instead
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

1. CNK
2. Rapana
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Simonsson
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling/Havili
15. Sutton
16. Horsburgh
17. James

18. Soliola
19. Williams
20. CHN
21. Kris

If Starling/Havili is only going to play 3 minutes then I'd prefer one of CHN or Kris on the bench.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I dont think we lost anything by having ryan james start and having the luxury if having papa come on off the bench sans passing game.
Dont delete this GE
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Upon looking at my team I think it would be Havili vs Horsburgh for one spot and then Starling/Havili vs CHN vs Kris for one spot. The latter battle are getting limited minutes regardless you'd think.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think it will be close but not sure we are playing well enough at the moment to win against the form team of the comp. Last year we didn't have any success going through them in the middle and we got very frustrated. Will be a good game to really see where we are at.

I think Ricky will pick the same side.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: April 3, 2021, 9:48 pm Changes:
CHN for Lui
Guler for Soliola

As long as they both bought a good attitude to their reserve grade game today.

Stuart singled out a few last week for not putting in last week and that was why he said Lui won a spot for this week.

Let’s hope they reacted to the coaches wishes. I saw the good result and flogging score but not the game itself.
No game day stats for players available NSW Cup (as of writing) but they put 60 pts on Newtown. Looks like they aimed up.
Tries for CHN (a double), Rushton and Hors.

I'd be making the same swaps as you suggest, with CHN to come off the bench and add something to the attack through the middle/attacking 20. Young deserves to hold his spot and I'd rather have Young defending the plays they run with Kikau both from a contact POV and a decision making POV. I'd also consider CHN coming on and defending in the middle but attacking at 2nd row, with Young staying to defend 2nd row but attacking through the middle, where he has shone.

Sia gives a solid 6/10 but I'd want the added punch of Guler or Hors out there in a game we need to lift for.

Scott's ribs would want to be pretty rock solid before I'd put him in v Kikau's edge too. Kris has played very well, comfortable with him continuing.
Last edited by BadnMean on April 4, 2021, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: April 4, 2021, 5:58 am

I don't think CHN will make a difference at the moment.

The only option we seem to have is Williams taking first receiver and either shifting it to Young with little space, or dropping it off for an inside run.

There just doesn't seem to be a route for the halves to combine going to the right or for CNK to provide a link.

None of the will change with CHN instead of Young.

There needs to be some kind of change. We can't only be a threat playing right to left.
CHN is a better target for GWilly to follow his pass across and pick up an offload to threaten the now scattered right edge again though. One of the best offloads in the comp.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders666 wrote:I'm not 100% sure what Lui brings to the team...I'd bring Horsburgh into the side instead
What does Lui bring? Not drink driving in the off season.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

2020 Rd 5 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by RTW »

BJ wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:I'm not 100% sure what Lui brings to the team...I'd bring Horsburgh into the side instead
I am a fan of Hors and even thought he was a smoky for origin last year before he got injured but his tackle efficiency is poor and he has far to many errors and silly penalties on his game.

James, Sutton, Papa and Tapine when he returns from injury are taking up big minutes and so they should be. The other bench forwards are only ever going to contribute smaller minutes in the games that matter.

Sure when we are playing the dogs or Cows they might get more minutes but as unflashy as he is Liu can be relied on to do his job for 20min and I’m not sure we could say the same for Horsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
Drop balls

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Agree with most of the proposed changes. Guler for Soliola. Maybe CHN or Hors for Lui.

With Havili part of the running forward rotation I think a utility back (or CHN if he’s fit enough) are better insurance than Starling. If Scott’s back then that is probably Kris.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

IBG wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:37 am
TongueFTW wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:15 am Putting CHN on to mark up against Kikau and Luai is a horrible idea.
100%. Look at the job Young did on Fifita last night. He's a much better defender, he was aggressive and in his face all night.
Young will be wearing the 11 for the season barring any huge drop off in form.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Seb Kris should get first dibs over Scott. I think Sticky will pick Scott though

On ability I like CHN/Guler/Horse over Lui and Soliola, but the latter are very dependable and have great attitude. I'm happy with either combination really.

Valemei vs Simo, I can now conclude Valemei has more upside, but a lot more downside. Simo has good effort areas and minimal mistakes. I would keep Simo but if Valemei gets a chance and happens to have ironed out his earlier issues, he might be hard to drop
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sticky has shown a tendency to stay with a winning team so nit expecting much change. Scott and Tapine returns would be the caveats. For Scott I'd expect him to slot back into right centre and Kris maybe to the bench. Starling likely to make way there. Tapine would come in for Lui.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I believe Panthers will win. And easily.

We simply dont have any attack. Hopefully it doesn't blow out. I think the lack of pace is showing. We keep trying down the centre and Jack running the ball.

All good when we play Titans but Panthers are genuine contenders. Different ball game next week. Brace yourselves guys, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I reckon we will win to be honest
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

We are a much better side than some of our fans give us credit for.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ryan James says Canberra Raiders 'can go to another level' in Penrith Panthers clash

Ryan James is adamant the Canberra Raiders "can really go to another level" and there could be no better place to do it than Sydney's west on Friday night.

"We haven't even put in an 80-minute performance yet. We've put in a couple of good halves, and our defence has probably won us a lot of games," James said. "Once we really connect and start to do the things we're supposed to do, we can really go to another level."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart speaks about Ryan James: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... s-round-4/ (2:40 min mark)

GALLERY: Raiders v Titans: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/g ... st#license

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... -v-titans/
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Raiders666 wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:19 pm We are a much better side than some of our fans give us credit for.
Some of our fans are idiots tbh.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Azza wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:48 pm
Raiders666 wrote: April 4, 2021, 6:19 pm We are a much better side than some of our fans give us credit for.
Some of our fans are idiots tbh.
You make a great point :hmmm
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Young to the bench
No chance Young is benched.
Agree with swapping Lui out, but I’d have Guler in.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

GreenMachine wrote: April 4, 2021, 8:06 pm
Young to the bench
No chance Young is benched.
Agree with swapping Lui out, but I’d have Guler in.
Young will be on no bench.. he's gna do what Bateman couldn't and shut down kikau. Agree with dropping Lui and Starling, most likely we're going thru the middle so lets have 4 forwards on the bench including Guler..