Moderator: GH Moderators

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Ryan Sutton

Post by MrPosh »

Finchy wrote: March 31, 2021, 5:03 pm
MrPosh wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:49 pm
Finchy wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:46 pm Tom Burgess doesn't show much these days, certainly not a match winner in his own right like George and Sam used to be. Luke Thompson was bog ordinary for the bog ordinary Dogs last year.
I always had Tom down as the better of the twins - although neither in Sam's class.

Thompson had started to come good for the Dogs last year and I'm sure he will.
When George first came into top grade he was a gun. Some of his runs and tries were like Taumalolo, just skittling players. After the GF win, his form sort of dropped off, his handling was atrocious, got dropped a few times, and he fizzled out to nowhere. It always surprised me that Tom's form never really hit the heights that George's did in the early days, considering they're identical twins and all. Same as Andrew and David Fifita really (not the Titans David Fifita, the one playing in England).
That's a fair shout. I always thought the problem with George was that you might get 250m from him one week and six dropped balls the next.

Tom didn't scale the same heights, but was/is more reliable.

I hope Sutton does become better than Burgess and Thompson.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Luke Thompson has been super disappointing since coming to the NRL. Just hasnt handled the week to week grind of it. Just looks like a slow and non-impactful middle
Sutton is definitely better than him based on my viewing.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Agree about Thompson. He's been a complete potato at the Dogs. Very underwhelming in my eyes given the outlay, and their supporters feel exactly the same.

I understand where UK fans are coming from since they're probably judging them both moreso on their ability shown in the Super League, but the simple fact is that Ryan Sutton has been unequivocally better than Thompson in the NRL so far.

The debate as to who is picked in an England side isn't a debate to me at the point. If Shaun 'he needs to do better' Wane thinks Luke Thompson will do a better job against Australia and New Zealand, he has nothing but marbles rolling around that massive melon of his.
Last edited by afgtnk on March 31, 2021, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Imagine being a dogs fan, and realising that Sutton is on the books for probably 1/3 of what the Dogs are paying Thompson?
You'd be **** headless.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

He's going well, I like him. I love all our forwards. We are stacked
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: March 31, 2021, 8:16 pm Imagine being a dogs fan, and realising that Sutton is on the books for probably 1/3 of what the Dogs are paying Thompson?
You'd be **** headless.
Kudos to the club for their scouting on that. It's no coincidence that 5 out of 6 recruits have turned out to be hits. Seems easy, but it's not. Dogs have shown how to make costly errors in that regard.

From what I can gather from UK fans in general, Thompson is clearly the bigger name and more highly rated player - both now and pre NRL. We could've easily gone for him. Instead we've gone for the lesser light, the smaller name, likely on at least less than half the salary, but probably twice as good in terms of output.

That's good scouting and knowing very clearly how a player is going to adapt between competitions and environments.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeah I've been pretty high on Sutton the entire time. I remember saying over again, you dont get that many first class games under your belt at his age without a level of talent and toughness required to play middle third footy. I dont care what level of competition it is, to be a staple of the top squad since he was 18 as a middle spoke to me about what sort of player he is. I wrestled a lot this off season about our middles mostly because i really thought he should be in the 17. And i know you and i were on the same page with that.

Im sure it helps that Sutton plays in a pack that is full of stars, but what he has done a few times now is something to date Luke Thompson hasnt done, and that is show he can be the star. Nothing i've seen from Thompson in the NRL so far says to me he'd be in our top 30. Not exagerating, ive got at least 8 players in our team who are better middles than him
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I love Sutton. He's just got that understated head-down, keep plunging forward attitude about him - you know what? A lot like Dunamis Lui, really. I think he's gonna have a great year.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Imagine being a dogs fan, and realising that Sutton is on the books for probably 1/3 of what the Dogs are paying Thompson?
You'd be **** headless.
I hear some Dogs players have been quietly calling Cotric ‘statue’ based on his strong physical looks and complete lack of movement during a game.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

BJ wrote:
Botman wrote:Imagine being a dogs fan, and realising that Sutton is on the books for probably 1/3 of what the Dogs are paying Thompson?
You'd be **** headless.
I hear some Dogs players have been quietly calling Cotric ‘statue’ based on his strong physical looks and complete lack of movement during a game.
I read it was Hoppa, but it makes more sense being the new guy.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I feel like Vossy's just slapped me down.

He deffo reads the GH.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

This is where I politely disagree

I see Lui as fast feet before the line, but at contact he tries to get straight down n straight up (and has a mistake in him)

Where Sutton is a bit slower but has massive leg drive and has huge post contact metres n still a quick play the ball

Sutton would have been my started for some time now

*and lui isn't impact and wouldn't make my 17 due to our crazy depth

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui has been ordinary this season. His hands haven't been good either.

Agree about Sutton's leg drive. He's up there with Papalii these days. (CNK has crazy leg drive too.)

With Taps out, Papa, Sutton and James are clearly our best 3 middles. Guler has his work cut out cracking that starting side.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

If Young stays at Second Row I think it is a lock that Papalii, Sutton and Tapine are our first choice starting middles. I really love that combo as they are the perfect mix together.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

MrPosh wrote: April 3, 2021, 8:35 pm I feel like Vossy's just slapped me down.

He deffo reads the GH.
Haha thought that too. He may as well have called you out by name
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Papa, Tapine, Sutton, James my first middles on the sheet this year, in that order.

James off the bench. Sutton can start or bench, as long as he gets 55-60 mins. But if it's the GF, he's starting and playing long.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m loving Sutton off the bench. He really creates some impact when required.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: April 4, 2021, 7:58 am

He deffo reads the GH.
Remind us what he said?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: April 4, 2021, 8:33 am Papa, Tapine, Sutton, James my first middles on the sheet this year, in that order.

James off the bench. Sutton can start or bench, as long as he gets 55-60 mins. But if it's the GF, he's starting and playing long.
It's a great balance. 2 power players in Paps and Sutton with 2 big agile ones in James and Tapine.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sutton's certainly made it hard to move him. I can't see how Horse or Guler could get above him on current form, as much as I like them. I guess Horse could offer some offloading ability. Maybe it's between Horse and Havili. I like them both too. I like them all!!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: April 4, 2021, 9:39 am
simo wrote: April 4, 2021, 7:58 am

He deffo reads the GH.
Remind us what he said?
Said if the england or Great Britain 17 was being selected tomorrow then ryan Hutton has to be in itx
Dont delete this GE
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

-TW- wrote: March 29, 2021, 10:36 pm Reminds me a lot of Scotty Logan

No frills, hard work, big impact

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Yes.
The front on contact with leg drive is similar for sure.
Aggressive and does the ugly work,the no frills spade work that’s essential.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Sutton will end up being a lot better player for us than Scott Logan.

Scott Logan was a workhorse that did a great job for us when we didn't have much else. Sutton will end up being one of the best middles in the game.
BJ
Steve Walters

Ryan Sutton

Post by BJ »

Bay53 wrote:Sutton will end up being a lot better player for us than Scott Logan.

Scott Logan was a workhorse that did a great job for us when we didn't have much else. Sutton will end up being one of the best middles in the game.
I also hope he can become one of the best middles. I’d like to see Sutton develop a pass and an offload over the season. Logan had a good flop back pass that I reckon Sutton could also deliver.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I don't see him surpassing the likes of Papa, Tapine and many other slightly more destructive, skillful middles - I think that's a bit far. Good player though.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Unpopular opinion time. I am really not as high on Sutton as everyone else seems to be. He's given great effort this year, he was immense against the Warriors. For mine he's the modern day Josh Miller. Gives it everything but is never going to crash through tackles or add any subtleties to his game. He'll stick out against the fringe sides but against the elite sides he isn't going to offer much.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Unpopular opinion time. I am really not as high on Sutton as everyone else seems to be. He's given great effort this year, he was immense against the Warriors. For mine he's the modern day Josh Miller. Gives it everything but is never going to crash through tackles or add any subtleties to his game. He'll stick out against the fringe sides but against the elite sides he isn't going to offer much.
Definitely disagree. He's much better than Josh Miller

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Green_Hammock wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:21 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:Unpopular opinion time. I am really not as high on Sutton as everyone else seems to be. He's given great effort this year, he was immense against the Warriors. For mine he's the modern day Josh Miller. Gives it everything but is never going to crash through tackles or add any subtleties to his game. He'll stick out against the fringe sides but against the elite sides he isn't going to offer much.
Definitely disagree. He's much better than Josh Miller

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
He just seems a bit basic with ball in hand to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that in your 16-20 bracket of players, I just don't see him kicking on to be elite.

I don't see him making the 17 at the Panthers, Storm or Roosters.
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

Of all the players to have a go at this season, Sutton is at the bottom of the list. By a considerable distance.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

He is basic, he's no Papa/Tarps etc. But he can do a job. I agree his impact is a bit overstated here
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Bovrick wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:32 pm Of all the players to have a go at this season, Sutton is at the bottom of the list. By a considerable distance.
I did preface it with unpopular opinion ;)
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:17 pm Unpopular opinion time. I am really not as high on Sutton as everyone else seems to be. He's given great effort this year, he was immense against the Warriors. For mine he's the modern day Josh Miller. Gives it everything but is never going to crash through tackles or add any subtleties to his game. He'll stick out against the fringe sides but against the elite sides he isn't going to offer much.
So many times I've thought exactly that. Hits hard in defence, tough motor but considering his size - doesn't get through the line often enough (despite his tries this year) and no offload in sight. A bit more strength in the legs needed perhaps? seems a bit top heavy his running style.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Shades of the people calling out Whitehead a week or two ago
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Blokes like Sutton do their job without fuss. This helps the gamebreakers.

Storm have long had forwards who simply perform a basic function in attack and work hard in defence.

Sutton and Lui do this for the Raiders. A few others go for glory plays that aren’t needed.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I actually miss Lui a bit and his leg speed and enthusiasm. I'd recall him, I said it last week and especially again after today