Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans
Saturday 3 April 7:45pm
Kogarah Jubilee Stadium
Gates open: 5:00pm
Cronulla Sharks V North Queensland Cowboys: 5:15pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Mostly sunny. Mostly sunny. Patchy fog in the early morning, mainly in the west. Light winds becoming north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the evening. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 16 Max 27

After a heart breaking, controversial loss to the Warriors, the Raiders head to the Kogarah in Round 4 for a meeting with the Titans. The match has been shifted from Robina to Jubilee Stadium, given the COVID situation in south east Queensland. The Titans temporarily relocated to Sydney on Wednesday. The Raiders were going to fly to the Gold Coast on Thursday and have their captain's run in Queensland. However, those plans have now changed.

Last round: 2021 Round 3. New Zealand Warriors 34 - Canberra Raiders 31. It was a narrow loss for a brave, courageous Canberra Raiders team. The Raiders lost Joe Tapine after 10 minutes to an ankle injury. They lost Ryan James and Sebastian Kris a few minutes later, after they clashed heads while attempting a tackle. Before 15 minutes had elapsed, the Raiders were down to just 14 men. The Raiders went to a 31-10 early in the second half, before the Warriors came back against an exhausted Green Machine. And the ultimate difference between the teams was a cruel one - a Warriors try scored from a blatant forward pass, with the referee, Henry Perenara, right there to see it.

More on Round 3: As I saw it

Team news: Joe Tapine (ankle ligaments) and Curtis Scott (ribs) are unavailable for this match, but hope to return in a week or two. Tapine is replaced at lock by Ryan Sutton, while Sebastian Kris replaces Scott. Hudson Young (knee) returns to the side in the second row. Dunamis Lui has been named at starting prop, after playing in NSW Cup last week. Ricky Stuart confirmed on Friday that Young, James and Kris will be fit to play.

The Titans team is unchanged from the one that lined up against the Cowboys. Centre Brian Kelly (hand) has been named on the reserves list, with Sam Stone dropping out.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Caleb Aekins and Emre Guler from their squad on Friday evening, leaving Sam Williams and Semi Valemei on the reserves list. The Titans cut Herman Ese'ese and Sam McIntyre.

History: Canberra has won 13 of 25 games against the Gold Coast Titans - and 28 of 42 games played against all incarnations of the Gold Coast. The Raiders have won seven of the past 10 matches against the Titans - and are now on a four game winning streak against the Queensland outfit. The Raiders opened the 2020 season with a 24-6 win over the Titans at Canberra Stadium. They followed that up with a 36-16 win in Round 15 on the Gold Coast. The Raiders and Titans have never played before at Kogarah.

2020 Round 15 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2020 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

Form: Raiders: WLWWL
Titans: WWLWW

The Warriors have had a 2 and 1 start to 2021, most recently posting back to back wins over the Broncos and Cowboys. Their 44-8 win against North Queensland was their biggest ever victory. They also won the last five games of the 2020 season - but finished just outside the top eight.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.60 favourites, while the Titans are paying $2.35. The Titans have 4.5 points start in the line betting. The Titans odds have shortened since the market opened.

Stat attack:

2021 Season record: Raiders 2 and 1 (6th, +17)
Titans 2 and 1 (4th, +35)

Attack: Raiders 24 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 4th on tries scored
Titans 26 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked equal 2nd on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 19 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked equal 9th on tries conceded
Titans 14 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked equal 4th on tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Titans 51 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 76 per cent, Titans 74 per cent

Running: Raiders 1569 running metres from 172 runs (14 dummy half runs), 138 kick return metres, 633 post contact metres per match
Titans 1765 running metres from 185 runs (12 dummy half runs), 163 kick return metres, 548 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 36, Titans 32 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 5, Titans 7 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Titans 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Titans 4 per match

Offloads: Raiders 5, Titans 12 per match

Kicking: Raiders 587 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match
Titans 487 kicking metres from 21 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 332 made, 27 missed, 20 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Titans 324 made, 26 missed, 19 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1442, Titans 1416

Errors: Raiders 12, Titans 14 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 4, Titans 4 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 4, Titans 4 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 5, Titans 2 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 3, Titans 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Alexander Brimson AJ Brimson suffered a fractured back at the NRL Nines in Perth at the start of 2020 - and his return in Round 12 was a signficant reason for the Titans' improved performances at the back end of the season. He's started 2021 just where he left off. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is a very strong running fullback, but Brimson probably has the advantage in ball playing. On balance, in 2021, the numbers marginally stack up in favour of CNK.

George Williams and Jamal Fogarty This match-up should probably pit Jamal Fogarty up against Josh Papalii. Half against prop. In case anyone had forgotten, Josh Papalii's 2020 tackle of the year now features in the NRL's 2021 ad campaign - showing how the impossible happens in rugby league. But Fogarty is actually facing Raiders' half George Williams. The combinations between Josh Hodgson and his halves are still developing - and that has meant that Williams has yet to consistently stamp his mark through games. But this "skin" definitely goes to Williams for mine.

Josh Hodgson and Mitch Rein

For a long time, Mitch Rein was a thorn in the Canberra Raiders' side - back when he was playing for the Dragons. He's not on contract at the Titans beyond this season, and there is talk of the Gold Coast targeting the Storm's Brandon Smith. The 30 year old has struggled at times at the Titans, but the 30 year old wants to keep playing.

"There’s no point me worrying about that stuff I can’t control," he says. "It is what it is. We’ll see how I go. No one is going to re-sign me unless I’m playing well, so I’ve got to do that first."

And he has played well in the opening rounds of 2021. He's got some pretty good numbers this year, probably better than Josh Hodgson. But Hodgson is one of the best rugby league hookers in the world - and Mitch Rein is well down that list. I'm just hoping Rein doesn't produce one of those games where he makes the Raiders pay.

David Fifita and Hudson Young David Fifita is the Titan's million dollar man. $1.2 million per season to be precise. That's what it took to entice him to leave the Brisbane Broncos and head to the Gold Coast in 2021. The 21 year old is one of the most talked about young players in the NRL, not just because of the big impact he makes on field - but also because he has been in a bit of trouble off the field. Fifita is big and very dangerous in attack on the edge. Hudson Young was rested last week, after he had a knee problem late in the match against the Sharks. But it looks like he will be fit to play on Saturday. Young will have his hands full containing Fifita. Young's contract probably pales in comparison to Fifita, but his 2021 statistics do not - and Young probably has the better defence. This should be a great contest.

Our tip: Before the season commenced, most commentators were saying that the Raiders had an "easy" draw in the opening month of the season. Of course, nothing is easy in the NRL. They've had tough matches against the Sharks and Warriors - and this will be another tough game.

The Titans have lost their home ground advantage, but they are in good form. Their attack really clicked last weekend. Meanwhile, the Raiders have been disrupted by injury. However, I think the Gold Coast will find Canberra a much more difficult assignment than the Warriors, Broncos and Cowboys - the teams they have met so far this year. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Jarrod Croker on the loss to the Warriors: "We can build off that. We won't lose any confidence. I know we won't lose any admirers from our fans. We're disappointed as well, but there's a lot of positives to take out of the loss. It's deflating at first, but looking back on it I think we can certainly build on it."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Siliva Havili
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan James

18. Sam Williams
19. Semi Valemei

Injury/Suspension
Joe Tapine, Ankle ligaments (Rd 5-6)
Curtis Scott, Ribs, (Rd 5-6)
Harley Smith-Shields, Biceps tendon (Rd 20-22)

Gold Coast Titans

1. Alexander Brimson
2. Anthony Don
3. Phillip Sami
4. Patrick Herbert
5. Corey Thompson
6. Tanah Boyd
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
11. Kevin Proctor
12. David Fifita
13. Tyrone Peachey

14. Moeaki Fotuaika
15. Sam Lisone
16. Jaimin Jolliffe
17. Erin Clark

18. Beau Fermor
21. Brian Kelly

Injury/Suspension

Brian Kelly, Hand (Rd 5)
Ash Taylor, Hand (Rd 6)

Officials

Referee: Adam Gee
Touch judges: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Michael Wise
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Junior Representatives teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLTitansRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Rd 4 V Titans: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GAME DAY!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day ! Let’s Run Amok Raiders!
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Game day! This game worries me a little
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

game day.

Gardening
Golf
Game!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

bonehead wrote: April 3, 2021, 7:42 am game day.

Gardening
Golf
Game!

Great day for it!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Thinking of going tonight, how's the parking around Kogarah oval?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

See if these muppets beat the titans!
Or blow a lead again!!
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

My body is ready.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

dubby wrote: April 3, 2021, 9:22 am Thinking of going tonight, how's the parking around Kogarah oval?

I've parked in this vacant lot near the hospital. Think I'm good
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

So many one sided games this weekend...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'm too lazy to go

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Afgaga thinking of you brother, would have been good to see you

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’ve been at work, just got home, what have I missed ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

-PJ- wrote:I’ve been at work, just got home, what have I missed ?
Sticky read the gh realised that a couple of people said they had no resilience and sacked the whole team let alone croker and raps.. So nothing much Image

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans at Kogarah Jubilee Stadium. We'll have live scores from 7:45pm.

Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
10. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson
17. Ryan James
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

8. Josh Papalii
14. Tom Starling
15. Siliva Havili
16. Sia Soliola

Gold Coast Titans

1. Alexander Brimson
2. Anthony Don
3. Phillip Sami
4. Patrick Herbert
5. Corey Thompson
6. Tanah Boyd
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
11. Kevin Proctor
12. David Fifita
13. Tyrone Peachey

14. Moeaki Fotuaika
15. Sam Lisone
16. Jaimin Jolliffe
17. Erin Clark
The Greenhouse score update service
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

GreenMachine wrote: April 3, 2021, 4:59 pm So many one sided games this weekend...
The Nrl is broken...The gap between the good teams and the not so good teams is getting wider and wider.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

James starting and Papa off the bench..
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Makes for boring viewing these lopsided matches I've already switched to something else a couple of times this year but I otherwise watch a lot of the other games

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Are we going to see Cameron Smith level performance from Mitch Rein?
We have a knack of making average players look like legends...
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Jeez. Ground looks a bit scuffed up. Hope we get through without any injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The Cowboys are absolutely atrocious. The Sharks have done well with an injury toll but the Cowboys have been actually disgusting. Lazy, unmotivated garbage. One of the Sharks' tries the kick went up and about three Cows defenders literally watched Dugan run 30m, catch the ball, and step all of them to score without even really trying to stop him.

Dunno how they're going to fix that club but they're really, really broken. People have just been so distracted by how bad the Broncos and Bulldogs were last year to notice.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Danaman137 wrote: April 3, 2021, 5:59 pm Jeez. Ground looks a bit scuffed up. Hope we get through without any injuries

I mentioned this earlier in the week (how poor i thought this surface is) and got told otherwise.
I’m not convinced. It’s always been a potato patch...
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Do not mind seeing Manly and Brisbane getting pounded; Canterbury and North Queensland are just boring.

Would have lived seeing Tapine against Tino.

We cannot afford another poor start.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

raiderskater wrote: April 3, 2021, 6:03 pm The Cowboys are absolutely atrocious. The Sharks have done well with an injury toll but the Cowboys have been actually disgusting. Lazy, unmotivated garbage. One of the Sharks' tries the kick went up and about three Cows defenders literally watched Dugan run 30m, catch the ball, and step all of them to score without even really trying to stop him.

Dunno how they're going to fix that club but they're really, really broken. People have just been so distracted by how bad the Broncos and Bulldogs were last year to notice.
There is a BIIIIIIGGGG gap between the bottom teams and the top tier this year... probably as big as I remember it in a long time.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I would love an 80 minute performance where we’re not on the edge of our seats come full time...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ryan James FTS.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

GreenMachine wrote:I would love an 80 minute performance where we’re not on the edge of our seats come full time...
Only if we are on the good side of that

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Wighton has to think ‘run first’ today...
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

irvste wrote:Makes for boring viewing these lopsided matches I've already switched to something else a couple of times this year but I otherwise watch a lot of the other games

I haven’t got through a full game this round

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: April 3, 2021, 6:12 pm I would love an 80 minute performance where we’re not on the edge of our seats come full time...
I'll be happy with 2 points. Titans just missed the 8 last year and are better now. This is a tough game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

RTW wrote: April 3, 2021, 6:23 pm
irvste wrote:Makes for boring viewing these lopsided matches I've already switched to something else a couple of times this year but I otherwise watch a lot of the other games

I haven’t got through a full game this round

Me too. All the games this weekend have been trash.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: April 3, 2021, 6:23 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 3, 2021, 6:12 pm I would love an 80 minute performance where we’re not on the edge of our seats come full time...
I'll be happy with 2 points. Titans just missed the 8 last year and are better now. This is a tough game.
Yeah that’s a good point. This might be the closest fixture on paper.