Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:
Rick wrote: March 31, 2021, 7:35 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
-PJ- wrote:So the player has to be an “emerging player”

Enter stage left Joseph Suaalii.
Hooper was saying on Back Page the Roosters are toying with moving Teddy to 5/8, Brett Morris to FB, and free up a wing/centre spot for Suaalii.
Would eg they just move Manu to 5/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that would be insane to move Teddy... just play Manu at 5/8th, he can handle that role, and Suaalii just comes straight in to replace him
Gives Manu and Sam Walker a good crutch to play too as well
I'm all for the roosters moving the best fullback in the world to 5/8. The more players out of position the better

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good to see the NRL doing something without actually really doing anything.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Mbye has requested a release to negotiate with other clubs.. source Fox League...

Roo$ters?

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They can have him
he sucks
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Jack of all trades, stinks at all of them

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You’ve got to feel for the Roosters..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:You’ve got to feel for the Roosters..
you hate to see it

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Microchip technology to be introduced to NRL to stop forward pass controversies

An English firm that has developed new technology whereby a GPS chip is placed in the football has been in talks with the NRL for nearly a year. The chip detects forward passes with 100 per cent accuracy.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... d50ae36f69
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Botman wrote: March 31, 2021, 12:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 30, 2021, 7:00 pm This is more poor decision making by the ARLC. First, it is reactionary and rushed. Second, it does nothing to address the problems of player welfare that we saw on the weekend. The hurdle of three HIAs is so high, that it is a rule that will virtually never been used. There's only been one club that has had three HIAs in a match since the start of last year. Third, an "emerging player" has no place making what is likely his NRL debut in such a game and such an environment. In addition, what's the point of paying for an 18th man to be transported etc etc to games... when there is virtually no hope of that player, playing. And stopping them from playing footy?
Its a meaningless half... maybe quarter step?
Just a ineffective solution to a pretty easy to solve problem
This is unbelievably dumb from the NRL and really does nothing to address the issue. Unless there is a massive increase in players that have been rubbed out for HIAs and what is clear is that doctors are using their clinical judgement where players have passed the necessary tests but are still being ruled out as happened with Kris on the weekend.

I also wish that they would just monitor things and see how they develop. It might be that this becomes common place or it might be that it was just one of those strange things that happens. I still definitely think that a longer bench with the same number of interchanges is a better solution long term. To be honest, this proposal solves nothing and is a pointless waste of money and resources.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote: Microchip technology to be introduced to NRL to stop forward pass controversies

An English firm that has developed new technology whereby a GPS chip is placed in the football has been in talks with the NRL for nearly a year. The chip detects forward passes with 100 per cent accuracy.

This would be a massive step forward, would love to see it

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: April 1, 2021, 2:45 pm
greeneyed wrote: Microchip technology to be introduced to NRL to stop forward pass controversies

This would be a massive step forward, would love to see it

A massive step forward but backwards out of the hands. ;)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont know much about it but im all on board with trialling this sort of stuff and trying to solve the issue
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

trial it in nsw cup without ruling on it then check the data vs the eye test

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL confirms 18th player rule for foul play or three failed HIAs

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys said the game was listening to its players and coaches after confirming an 18th player would be in use from round five if a team is affected by foul play or three failed HIAs.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/06/nrl ... iled-hias/

ARLC statement

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) today gave approval for National Rugby League (NRL) clubs to activate an 18th player when three players fail a HIA or when a player suffers a match ending injury caused by foul play – and the perpetrator is sin binned or sent off.

The 18th player must be an NRL registered player who is eligible for selection in that round and part of the 21-man squad selected for the NRL Telstra Premiership game. Clubs will be permitted to select any player from the above mentioned rosters and must identify the player when final team sheets are provided on game day.

The new rule will be effective from Round 5 and will be further monitored and adjusted if needed.

The Commission last week gave in principle approval to the activation of the 18th player and sought consultation from all 16 clubs and the RLPA. The feedback was considered and incorporated into the adjusted rule that was formally approved today.

ARL Commission Chairman Peter V’landys AM said the decision would provide a safety net for all Clubs and players in uncommon instances of multiple HIAs, and also ensure a team is not disadvantaged when losing a player for the match due to foul play.

“Player wellbeing is a priority for the Commission and this additional safety net ensures players continue to be protected,’’ he said.

“Our clubs are outstanding in the way they detect and monitor head injuries and the activation of an 18th player in rare cases of three failed HIAs during a game will ensure continued strict compliance throughout a match.

“We’ve also approved an 18th player to be activated when a player suffers a match ending injury because of foul play where the perpetrator is sin binned or sent off.

“Why should a team be disadvantaged by an act of serious foul play? This was a strong message from all clubs and fans and the Commission has listened to that feedback.

“We’ve also listened to clubs and players about the criteria of the 18th player used and will allow the club to select any of its registered players which will enable the most effective team combination on game day. I want to thank all Clubs and the RLPA for their feedback.”

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not ideal, but better than it was... and it’s pretty clear Ricky Stuart’s approach works with the Chairman.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Good rules. Unfortunately will be exploited by unscrupulous coaches. That 3rd HIA failure will be more common now that a sub is on offer. Particularly if a team is missing a back and there's 4 forwards on the bench.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If you're going to flub failures to get a guy in that wasn't good enough to be in your original 17 when your bench is already down by 2 players I say have at it.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Hard to see this coming into play very often and from my perspective it still places too much responsibility on referees and doctors. From a medical perspective it stays about the same and ideally would remove some pressure to clear player but the grey areas still exist here. For referees the decision to sin bin, send off or just place on report are not currently applied consistently and this won't help that at all!

At least having a squad player fill the spot makes more sense but out of interest I thought the official line ups had to be handed in an hour before kick off with some capacity to change that if an injury occurs in the warm up. How would a warm up injury impact the naming of the 18th man?

I still think a longer bench but no more interchanges is a better solution but we may still get to that point eventually!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

These rules are stupid.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

pickles wrote:Hard to see this coming into play very often and from my perspective it still places too much responsibility on referees and doctors. From a medical perspective it stays about the same and ideally would remove some pressure to clear player but the grey areas still exist here. For referees the decision to sin bin, send off or just place on report are not currently applied consistently and this won't help that at all!

At least having a squad player fill the spot makes more sense but out of interest I thought the official line ups had to be handed in an hour before kick off with some capacity to change that if an injury occurs in the warm up. How would a warm up injury impact the naming of the 18th man?

I still think a longer bench but no more interchanges is a better solution but we may still get to that point eventually!
I'd think the team would just name their 19th man as their 18th seeing they're still technically in the squad for game day, they'd just notify the ground manager first

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Didn’t expect it to be this magnitude’: V’landys floats return of under 20s to fix blowout scores

The National Youth Competition could make a return as part of a “future strategy” being worked on by the ARL Commission in a bid to stop blowout scores.

ARLC Chair Peter V’landys is of the belief that the lack of a stepping stone for young players to progress to the NRL could be playing a role in the lopsided scores we’ve seen in the opening four weeks, but in particular Round 4.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 54b24abdbf

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-are ... 57gv1.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Didn't expect it to be of this magnitude! Oh, we made a mistake dumping the NYC! What holes in the salary cap?

:roll: :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So now it's the **** clubs have blooded players too early?

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

This is really adding 2+2 and coming up with potato’s

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Michael Morgan officially announces his retirement due to his bung shoulder. Comes a day after Jake Friend pulled the pin because of concussion issues.

Cowboys in desperate need of halves now. Morgan is gone, Clifford off to the Knights, Hampton and Drinkwater suck. That latter are both off contract too. Should be a simple case of offering Reynolds $3m over 3 years. Would even be worth trying to get Milford at the right price.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Are the Roosters and Cowboys getting Cap relief this year for the retirements?

I remember Raiders having both Campese and Orford remain on the books despite being in no fit state to play NRL.

Wouldn’t surprise me that Friend gets a high paid job at the Roosters to peel oranges.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He and Cordner to be funded concussion ambassadors would be my wager.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Northern Raider wrote:Michael Morgan officially announces his retirement due to his bung shoulder. Comes a day after Jake Friend pulled the pin because of concussion issues.

Cowboys in desperate need of halves now. Morgan is gone, Clifford off to the Knights, Hampton and Drinkwater suck. That latter are both off contract too. Should be a simple case of offering Reynolds $3m over 3 years. Would even be worth trying to get Milford at the right price.
Milford to cowboys is not good either milford or cowboys, not with the team or coachh they have at the moment

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Rugby League 2021

Post by Sid »

Bit of a weird move for Sharks to employee Fitzgibblets to take over Morrison as sharks coach, I thought Morris had been doing well. He copped criticism last year for not beating a top 8 side all year, but given they still made the top 8, to me that's a good side that sharks were winning the games they were supposed to be winning and playing to their potential.

I guess it's more of a matter that the club has 14 players coming off contract so this stage of the clubs cycle requires a different kind of coach.

If he does go, I don't think this would be the last time we see Morris as a head coach.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:Bit of a weird move for Sharks to employee Fitzgibblets to take over Morrison as sharks coach, I thought Morris had been doing well. He copped criticism last year for not beating a top 8 side all year, but given they still made the top 8, to me that's a good side that sharks were winning the games they were supposed to be winning and playing to their potential.

I guess it's more of a matter that the club has 14 players coming off contract so this stage of the clubs cycle requires a different kind of coach.

If he does go, I don't think this would be the last time we see Morris as a head coach.

Like you say, he has done fairly well to get them to the finals but he isn't going to win a title if they can't match it with the top sides. They have some decent talent coming through but I think they need a bit of a clean out. Get rid of Dugan, Townsend and Woods for a start. Moylan hasn't really done anything worthy of another contract either.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

gergreg wrote:
Sid wrote:Bit of a weird move for Sharks to employee Fitzgibblets to take over Morrison as sharks coach, I thought Morris had been doing well. He copped criticism last year for not beating a top 8 side all year, but given they still made the top 8, to me that's a good side that sharks were winning the games they were supposed to be winning and playing to their potential.

Like you say, he has done fairly well to get them to the finals but he isn't going to win a title if they can't match it with the top sides. They have some decent talent coming through but I think they need a bit of a clean out. Get rid of Dugan, Townsend and Woods for a start. Moylan hasn't really done anything worthy of another contract either.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I don't believe he really had the squad to compete for a title in his short time there

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

He has come in after the Flanagan rubbish and kept the side together, during his time they were still facing cap penalties so was operating from behind the 8ball and has not had the ability to go to market at all.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL signals crack down on deliberate breaches of set restart rules; more penalties and sin bins may be on the way

The NRL has today reminded match officials, clubs and players of the need to adhere to the rules.

From Round 9 of the NRL Premiership, match officials have been reminded to take minimal tolerance for avoidable contact with the head or neck.

While incidental or minor contact will continue to be penalised and potentially placed on report, on-field officials and the NRL Bunker have been encouraged to use the sin bin or send-off mechanisms for contact deemed careless or reckless and involving a significant degree of force around the head and neck. The reminder is based on the Commission’s focus on ensuring player safety remains the game’s highest priority.

Match officials will also take stronger action regarding continuous or deliberate tactical breaches in relation to “six again” calls for 10 metre and ruck infringements.

On-field officials will consider appropriate use of a penalty and sin bin, if it’s considered necessary under the circumstances, to ensure a higher level of compliance, including for repeat infringements or deliberate infringements early in the set.

This does not need to be the same player on consecutive occasions. The team receives a general warning and the next player that infringes in the ensuing period could be sin binned.

When the “six again” was introduced it allowed for penalties and sin binning for repeated offences.

Referees will also be more vigilant in identifying players who break from scrums before the call of “break” by the referee.

The NRL will also implement measures to ensure the public can more easily understand the reason for “six again” calls. The specific nature of the breach (10 metre or ruck infringement) will be communicated via the public-address system and big screen graphics.

The game is also working with broadcasters to enable this to be displayed during television broadcasts to ensure fans are aware of the decision.

The NRL, Fox Sports and Nine are aligned in their desire to give fans the best possible and most informative viewing experience. The “six again” bell will continue to ring for infringements.

This communication is aimed at ensuring the game remains as safe as possible for players and entertaining and free flowing for NRL fans.

NRL media release
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Having a look through the availabilities I think Seb Kris is a fair crack of getting a Maroon jersey this year.

Afaic the blokes vying for Qld centre spots are Gagai, Capewell, Mann and Kris.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.