NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

I think this a heavy send on Smith too, Dalton is a stop gap, whoever the QB of the future is, they'll need a dynamic play maker, and it sure as **** wont be ARob
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm a bit late to the podium. Been an eventful day. Bears in a real quandary at no20. For a playoff team they sure have a lot of needs to fill and a number of potentials went in the preceding half dozen picks. Devonta Smith falling this far is a surprise and Bears would do well to bolster that area. I just don't think it's the biggest priority and they are better off strengthening the O-line. As such they will jump on the best OT left on the board in Teven Jenkins.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson (All)
2. New York Jets - Zach Wilson, QB, BYU (All)
3. San Francisco 49ers - Justin Fields, QB, OSU (Matt)
4. Atlanta Falcons - Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (Boney)
5. Cincinatti Bengals - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (Botman)
6. Miami Dolphins - Ja'Marr Chase, WR, Clemson (NR)
7. Detroit Lions - Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama (Matt)
8. Carolina Panthers - Trey Lance, QB, NDS (Boney)
9. Denver Broncos - Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State (Botman)
10. Dallas Cowboys - Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama (NR)
11. New York Giants - Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan (Lucy)
12. Philadelphia Eagles - Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina (Matt)
13. Los Angeles Chargers - Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern (Boney)
14. Minnesota Vikings - Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC (Botman)
15. New England Patriots - Mac Jones, QB, Alabama (NR)
16. Arizona Cardinals - Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech (Lucy)
17. LA Raiders - Gregory Rousseau, Edge, Miami (Matt)
18. Miami Dolphins - Zaven Collins, Edge, Tulsa (Boney)
19. Washington Football Team - Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech (Botman)
20. Chicago Bears - Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State (NR)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Want to see a wild mock then the latest one from CBS is worth a look. 49ers taking Mac Jones at 3 with a knock on effect of Trey Lance falling to Patriots at 15. Pitts dropping to Pheagles at 12. Raiders reaching for the obligatory Edge with a 4.4 time on pro day but no sacks last season. A number of other unpredictable picks too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... laymakers/

Its just so crazy it might happen.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:59 pm Want to see a wild mock then the latest one from CBS is worth a look. 49ers taking Mac Jones at 3 with a knock on effect of Trey Lance falling to Patriots at 15. Pitts dropping to Pheagles at 12. Raiders reaching for the obligatory Edge with a 4.4 time on pro day but no sacks last season. A number of other unpredictable picks too.

I did read this today. Its crazy really. But it would make for a fun 1st day
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Lucy, you are on the clock with the Colts at #21.
Do the colts look for a dancing panda? A greyhound? Or a glory bunny.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:59 pm Want to see a wild mock then the latest one from CBS is worth a look. 49ers taking Mac Jones at 3 with a knock on effect of Trey Lance falling to Patriots at 15. Pitts dropping to Pheagles at 12. Raiders reaching for the obligatory Edge with a 4.4 time on pro day but no sacks last season. A number of other unpredictable picks too.

SIGN ME UP! CHAOS.
But yeah Lance getting past Carolina, Broncos and ****, if he's sitting there, even my Eagles seems... Pretty wild. Like if he starts slipping someone like the Patriots or Washington are going to COME up to get him.

But yeah, hard send that draft thank you very much. Give me Pitts @ 12.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Davonta Smith STILL on the board. Fascinating

I'll say this too... Ceedee Lamb fell to 17, and i think Smith has way more question marks over him than Lamb did. So i dont actually think him being the surprise faller is unrealistic. Guys at his size who excel at getting off press have typically been busts in the NFL.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 31, 2021, 6:36 pm Davonta Smith STILL on the board. Fascinating

I'll say this too... Ceedee Lamb fell to 17, and i think Smith has way more question marks over him than Lamb did. So i dont actually think him being the surprise faller is unrealistic. Guys at his size who excel at getting off press have typically been busts in the NFL.
Someone will fall, and we won't know who til the day. I look forward to the chaos... as long as Surtain II is at 10 :D
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think you need to pin your hopes on Surtain... im not even sure he's my CB1. He's probably the cleanest/safest prospect at corner. His floor is probably the highest but i think both Horn and Farley have higher ceilings. They're all very close together. But i think the cowboys can pretty safely sit at #10 and know they're getting a pretty damn good corner, and probably at worst their #2 ranked corner. Cant see more than 2 going before 10
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 31, 2021, 6:36 pm Davonta Smith STILL on the board. Fascinating

So hard to predict NFL teams take on Smith. His production and stats speak for themselves. His skill sets cannot be questioned. Problem is scouts see an elite college player and not necessarily a pro. Those legs are deadset toothpicks. You feel he'll get snapped in half at NFL level. Chase, Waddle and even Bateman give the impression of more bankable commodities in the NFL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah it sounds silly because Waddle is actually shorter than Smith and not a lot heavier (based on official listings at Alabama for all they're worth, id be stunned if Smith was playing much above 165lbs :lol:) but you're right... Waddle looks like a truck, plays like a truck. He's big boy thick. Davonta looks like tiny out there.

Those other guys are easier to project because you have something in the NFL to look to and say "that's what this guy can be"... where is the 6'1, 170lbs dominant WR?
And it's not like you can expect Smith to put on extra muscle. The NFL weight programme is not going to figure out anything that Alabama couldnt :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 31, 2021, 6:47 pm I dont think you need to pin your hopes on Surtain... im not even sure he's my CB1. He's probably the cleanest/safest prospect at corner. His floor is probably the highest but i think both Horn and Farley have higher ceilings. They're all very close together. But i think the cowboys can pretty safely sit at #10 and know they're getting a pretty damn good corner, and probably at worst their #2 ranked corner. Cant see more than 2 going before 10
Farley is my best on ability. Injury concerns and personality concerns will mean he is CB#3 IMO.

Horn is the scrapper. He will be all over people. Pretty sure it was him covering Pitts in the slot and doing a great job. He is the CB who will get done for holding though, becausehe will want to be physical. I really like him, but he is #2.

Surtain is ready, and doesn't seem to have a flaw to lose spots in the draft. Thats why he will be CB#1 on most boards.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Wheres @Lucy?
Colts need your wisdom
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I listened to a podcast last night evaluating Pitts as a potential for Dolphins at no6. While I initially considered it intriguing I'm now fully on board with the idea. Not just because Pitts being such a standout at the position. It was that next level analysis that demonstrated a good fit despite Phins already having a quality pass catcher at TE in Mike Gesicki.

It was quite detailed on how both Pitts and Gesicki are utilised. In summary Gesicki plays mostly in the slot and split wide. Only around 20% of his snaps were in the O-line. Also the majority of his targets and catches are short/middle. Pitts by contrast played something like 70% of his snaps in line. His catches/targets were also mostly outside and his heat map showed short/middle as the coldest zone. In short, despite both falling into the category of athletic pass catching TEs they are almost complete opposites in how they do it. If ever there was a perfect storm for a 2 TE formation then this is it.

While I'd still have Sewell as my preference I've now got Pitts firmly as 2nd pick ahead of Chase. Given at least one of those will be on the board at 6 we're in a pretty good spot. Added bonus to have the extra 1st and 3rd rounders after trades thrown in.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The thing that separates Pitts as a stud prospect is how you can line him up. There just aren't that many people with his size and athleticism

He can play in line as a proper TE, as you said that's most of his college career, he's not the best blocker but he gives effort and he can be effective in that role, this is not Jimmy Graham who couldn't block the wind as an in line TE. He's probably going to be an average blocker as a TE in the league. Which is perfectly fine.

But what he can also do, is what Kelce, Kittle, Waller and what Zach Ertz used to do, and that's to be able move him around and to split him out wide, as an isolated X receiver and generally speaking when you split a TE out like that it really helps define coverage, because you're going to get one of three things happen:

1. A corner will follow him out there.
2. A safety will follow him out there.
3. Bracket coverage

Options 1 and 2 are heavy cues for man coverage, and if its man, it doesnt matter who is out there on him, he's too big for corners and too fast for safeties.
Option 3 is a cue for zone.

now that gets complicated as they have man-zone concept now and pattern match but for someone like Tua, being able to go to this sort of look and moving someone like Pitts around is going to really help him understand what the coverage is, will help him know pre snap where the ball should go, and his quick processing and accuracy on quick throws then lets him play fast and efficiently
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 1, 2021, 8:49 am I listened to a podcast last night evaluating Pitts as a potential for Dolphins at no6. While I initially considered it intriguing I'm now fully on board with the idea. Not just because Pitts being such a standout at the position. It was that next level analysis that demonstrated a good fit despite Phins already having a quality pass catcher at TE in Mike Gesicki.

It was quite detailed on how both Pitts and Gesicki are utilised. In summary Gesicki plays mostly in the slot and split wide. Only around 20% of his snaps were in the O-line. Also the majority of his targets and catches are short/middle. Pitts by contrast played something like 70% of his snaps in line. His catches/targets were also mostly outside and his heat map showed short/middle as the coldest zone. In short, despite both falling into the category of athletic pass catching TEs they are almost complete opposites in how they do it. If ever there was a perfect storm for a 2 TE formation then this is it.

While I'd still have Sewell as my preference I've now got Pitts firmly as 2nd pick ahead of Chase. Given at least one of those will be on the board at 6 we're in a pretty good spot. Added bonus to have the extra 1st and 3rd rounders after trades thrown in.
Very interesting. I like how the US analysis stuff like that
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: April 1, 2021, 9:12 am The thing that separates Pitts as a stud prospect is how you can line him up. There just aren't that many people with his size and athleticism

He can play in line as a proper TE, as you said that's most of his college career, he's not the best blocker but he gives effort and he can be effective in that role, this is not Jimmy Graham who couldn't block the wind as an in line TE. He's probably going to be an average blocker as a TE in the league. Which is perfectly fine.

But what he can also do, is what Kelce, Kittle, Waller and what Zach Ertz used to do, and that's to be able move him around and to split him out wide, as an isolated X receiver and generally speaking when you split a TE out like that it really helps define coverage, because you're going to get one of three things happen:

1. A corner will follow him out there.
2. A safety will follow him out there.
3. Bracket coverage

Options 1 and 2 are heavy cues for man coverage, and if its man, it doesnt matter who is out there on him, he's too big for corners and too fast for safeties.
Option 3 is a cue for zone.

now that gets complicated as they have man-zone concept now and pattern match but for someone like Tua, being able to go to this sort of look and moving someone like Pitts around is going to really help him understand what the coverage is, will help him know pre snap where the ball should go, and his quick processing and accuracy on quick throws then lets him play fast and efficiently
Yeah. I can see him as the 1st weapon off the board this yr. I heard 1 of the Cowboys scouts call him "inevitable" yesterday. As in, he WILL effect the game, its inevitable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Reading reports that Pitts aced his pro day. 4.44 sec 40 was very slick. What really turned heads was the 83 3/8 wing span. That's 6'11"+. He has Megatron covered by nearly 1.5 inches as the biggest span of any TE in history.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 1, 2021, 9:47 am Reading reports that Pitts aced his pro day. 4.44 sec 40 was very slick. What really turned heads was the 83 3/8 wing span. That's 6'11"+. He has Megatron covered by nearly 1.5 inches as the biggest span of any TE in history.
:woot: wooooow that's massive!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 1, 2021, 9:47 am Reading reports that Pitts aced his pro day. 4.44 sec 40 was very slick. What really turned heads was the 83 3/8 wing span. That's 6'11"+. He has Megatron covered by nearly 1.5 inches as the biggest span of any TE in history.
As i said earlier in the thread... doing a lot of mocks in my head that get him to Philly @ 12.
But it feels more like a fan fiction exercise than anything else
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Same with La'marr Chase running a 4.38 and putting in a 41" vertical. Neither Chase nor Pitts would have enhanced their stock. More that they've confirmed their ratings. Chase would have been the bigger winner though as he has stiff competition in the WR category. This workout may have ensured he tops the board for the position.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im gonna jump in for Lucy. The colts desperately need a tackle but there just isnt one that represents value here for me. A trade down is likely here if the board fell this way. The best tackles here are Samual Cosmi, Dillion Radunz and Liam Eichenberg. I think one of them might be a late day 1 pick, Liam Eichenberg would be the pick of them for me. But given the board, im going another direction. Not a huge need now but TY Hilton is past his best and they need someone to pair with Pittman Jr. The Colts stop the fall for Davonta Smith

This isnt the teams biggest need but it is a need for the Colts
21. Indianapolis Colts - Davonta Smith, WR, Alabama (Botcy)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Lucy shafted again!! Is he up next then?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

No way, Titoons run their card to the stand for a bloke with 1 of the coolest names in the draft Jeremiah Owusu-Koranoah, LB, Notre Dame.

PS. Was a toss up with Azerz Ojulari, LB, Georgia
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's a good pick, i almost took him with Washington. Such a fun player to watch.
Im also a big fan of Azeez... I dont like this edge class in general but for me i've got Phillips, Ojulari, Paye, Rousseau all about the same spot, which is late round 1 early day 2 picks

also big fan of Carlos Basham... Jayson Oweh is a wildcard for me. He had 7 sacks in his career. SEVEN. And ZERO last year. Not a single sack. No production. But his athletic numbers are basically the love child of Superman and the Flash :lol:
I dont know what to do with that and i dont envy nfl scouts trying to write that guy up
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: April 1, 2021, 6:28 pm Yeah that's a good pick, i almost took him with Washington. Such a fun player to watch.
Im also a big fan of Azeez... I dont like this edge class in general but for me i've got Phillips, Ojulari, Paye, Rousseau all about the same spot, which is late round 1 early day 2 picks

also big fan of Carlos Basham... Jayson Oweh is a wildcard for me. He had 7 sacks in his career. SEVEN. And ZERO last year. Not a single sack. No production. But his athletic numbers are basically the love child of Superman and the Flash :lol:
I dont know what to do with that and i dont envy nfl scouts trying to write that guy up
Agree with all of that. Esp Oweh. He is a superhero
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

22. Tennessee Titans - Jeremiah Owusu-Koranoah, LB, Notre Dame (Matt)

Boney on the clock with Jets... good luck
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Jets take the 4th CB off the board, and 2nd first rounder for Northwestern - Greg Newsome II.

23. New York Jets - Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern (Boney)

Botman up with the Steelers at 24.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Sorry lads,

Been busy.. But I'll make it up to you with this little piece of magic.

Did you know Pat Mahomes has more pick 6's than Andrew Luck, Brock Osweiler, Mitchell Trubiski, Gardner Minshew and Daniel Jones combined?

Incredible.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Lucy wrote: April 2, 2021, 12:14 pm Sorry lads,

Been busy.. But I'll make it up to you with this little piece of magic.

Did you know Pat Mahomes has more pick 6's than Andrew Luck, Brock Osweiler, Mitchell Trubiski, Gardner Minshew and Daniel Jones combined?

Incredible.

Well I guess that means we can safely put the pick 6 stat in the useless pile for evaluating QBs. :lol:
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I just saw this and think it's wild... between 2012-2017, the Jags had 6 straight top 5 picks in the draft.

2012: WR Justin Blackmon (#5 overall)
2013: OL Luke Joeckel (#2 overall)
2014: QB Blake Bortles (#3 overall)
2015: DE Dante Folwer Jr (#3 overall)
2016: CB Jalen Ramsey (#5 overall)
2017: RB Leonard Fournette (#4 overall)

Ramsey is obviously a stud (who no longer plays for them), but the rest were all relative disappointments for the Jags given their draft status.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Tough spot for the Steelers
They’d have been licking their chops for Greg Newsome
With him off the board, I think they’d still look to continue to build that dominant defence. Steelers take Jaelan Phillips

He’s raw but they’ve shown great abilities to develop edge players

23. New York Jets - Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern (Boney)
24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jaelan Phillips, Edge, Miami
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: April 3, 2021, 6:28 am I just saw this and think it's wild... between 2012-2017, the Jags had 6 straight top 5 picks in the draft.

2012: WR Justin Blackmon (#5 overall)
2013: OL Luke Joeckel (#2 overall)
2014: QB Blake Bortles (#3 overall)
2015: DE Dante Folwer Jr (#3 overall)
2016: CB Jalen Ramsey (#5 overall)
2017: RB Leonard Fournette (#4 overall)

Ramsey is obviously a stud (who no longer plays for them), but the rest were all relative disappointments for the Jags given their draft status.
Yep, terrible drafting history
It’s how bad team stay bad

Though man Justin Blackmon could play when he was on the field
Tremendous waste of talent, that one
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

They will be hoping Trevor Lawrence turns out better than Blake Bortles. :)

Of course if he doesn't the entire NFL community will be shocked.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

And to think their greatest talent in recent drafting history was their undrafted free agent James Robinson.