Jarrod Croker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by Northern Raider »

Rickmando wrote: March 24, 2021, 9:48 am It isn’t fair to pin anything regarding that Melbourne final on Croker.

We were ambushed all over the park in that game by a very professional outfit, mainly because Bellamy knew exactly what we were going to throw at them (grind-ball) and had a simple plan to counter it
Had our GF the week before and the travel schedule finally caught up with us. Jumping off the plane that afternoon and heading straight to the stadium, we were running on empty. In racehorse terms our boys needed the paddock.

As disappointing as it was that night I hold no ill will against any of the players for their performance.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, there is a huge amount of context to that Prelim performance. We were smashed up after our semi against the Roosters, while the Storm came out firing after a week off. My lasting memory of that game is the hope that Rapana never has to play centre for us again.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We won the 2nd half..

Good times.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Good point. Really we should have qualified for the second half of the grand final!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Additionally, if you want to be cheesed at anyone about that prelim, perhaps start getting cranky at Rapana, Cotric and Bateman who all suddenly started playing like they'd only met each other in the pub that afternoon and were total strangers. I knew all three could have ball hog tendencies, but all three butchered more than one certain try EACH with their refusal to pass that ball that night. At least Croker and Valemei were trying stuff on their edge even if it wasn't always working.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I attribute that performance to the different travel schedule and preparation. When you consider their first grade team had 1 game in 4 weeks (they were all rested in the final round) it's obvious why they had more energy to start the game than we did. Add to that that we had to arrive the day of the game and were given no notice that would be the case so we could of perhaps set ourselves up just south of the boarder, it's obvious to me what went wrong. Croker was terrible that game, but we later found out that he was carrying an injury which would require surgery in the off season. I'm confident Croker will do an outstanding job for us on Saturday
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Melbourne outdid us in every aspect that first half, from personel (we had some outs and misplaced selections and carrying injuries), energy, execution and game plan- they ruthlessly exposed our weaker players, our out of position players and our lack of speed with perfectly selected plays.

It was brutal. We didn't have an answer in us that night. Beaten fair and square in every aspect. All you can do is pack up and come back next year. We've beaten Melbourne before in adverse circumstances, but they are so good each time you do it is an achievement and it won't always happen. Because they are a great side.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

raiderskater wrote: March 24, 2021, 7:53 pm Additionally, if you want to be cheesed at anyone about that prelim, perhaps start getting cranky at Rapana, Cotric and Bateman who all suddenly started playing like they'd only met each other in the pub that afternoon and were total strangers. I knew all three could have ball hog tendencies, but all three butchered more than one certain try EACH with their refusal to pass that ball that night. At least Croker and Valemei were trying stuff on their edge even if it wasn't always working.
Going to preface this by saying Ricky Stuart has really turned the club around. It’s been 99% positive.

But his stubbornness with Cotric last season resulting in Rapana playing at centre, not him, really did harm the team’s chances late last season imo.

Melbourne would have done us anyway but it was a really, really silly continued selection that hurt the team immeasurably defensively.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

julian87 wrote: March 25, 2021, 6:46 am
raiderskater wrote: March 24, 2021, 7:53 pm Additionally, if you want to be cheesed at anyone about that prelim, perhaps start getting cranky at Rapana, Cotric and Bateman who all suddenly started playing like they'd only met each other in the pub that afternoon and were total strangers. I knew all three could have ball hog tendencies, but all three butchered more than one certain try EACH with their refusal to pass that ball that night. At least Croker and Valemei were trying stuff on their edge even if it wasn't always working.
Going to preface this by saying Ricky Stuart has really turned the club around. It’s been 99% positive.

But his stubbornness with Cotric last season resulting in Rapana playing at centre, not him, really did harm the team’s chances late last season imo.

Melbourne would have done us anyway but it was a really, really silly continued selection that hurt the team immeasurably defensively.
TBH they are 2 bad options though. Cotric was signed by the Dogs as a centre, and I see they give him the number 4 on his back. He's still heading back on tackle 5 to field kicks though. If Cotric was a top tier NRL centre he'd be playing there, rather than the hybrid model the Dogs have gone with.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Melbourne were also simply on a tear in that finals series. They put 36 on Parra in week 1 and did to the Panthers in the first half of the GF exactly what they did to us. No one was beating them.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

hobbsy wrote: March 25, 2021, 7:20 am Melbourne were also simply on a tear in that finals series. They put 36 on Parra in week 1 and did to the Panthers in the first half of the GF exactly what they did to us. No one was beating them.
I was as disappointed and upset about our prelim finals performance as anyone, but yeah seeing Melbourne do almost the same thing to Penrith a week later in the big one made me feel like that game was less about us and what we did/didnt do and more about Melbourne just peaking at the right time and having excellent game plans with excellent execution
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

On the subject of the Prelim, not sure if this has been shared already. But imagine flying to Brisbane the morning of the game as your preparation for a Prelim, against a team that's had the week off and has been based in that spot for months. Biggest unfair advantage in decades. Nothing could be done about it, but totally ridiculous of QLD govt considering the team was in a bubble anyway.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m with you other Beejay. Finding out we had to fly up on the day of the game just 48 hours before original planned departure was very poor.

Queensland government allowing tens of thousands to mill out front of the stadium, whilst at the same time arguing it wasn’t safe for a bubble restricted team to arrive early was a further twist of the knife.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Those ridiculous and unnecessary travel requirements were absolutely a factor.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 25, 2021, 7:29 am
hobbsy wrote: March 25, 2021, 7:20 am Melbourne were also simply on a tear in that finals series. They put 36 on Parra in week 1 and did to the Panthers in the first half of the GF exactly what they did to us. No one was beating them.
I was as disappointed and upset about our prelim finals performance as anyone, but yeah seeing Melbourne do almost the same thing to Penrith a week later in the big one made me feel like that game was less about us and what we did/didnt do and more about Melbourne just peaking at the right time and having excellent game plans with excellent execution
Yep, even at our best Melbourne still beat us. They were unstoppable in the finals. Right up until half time in the GF when word got to the officials that the game needed to be closer.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Think the way that Melbourne demolished us in that final should strengthen the argument for guys like Kris, more than anything.

Anyway - we'll see how this pans out. Croker 100% needs to lift his game from last season though and find more ways to add value, because he's not going become bigger, faster, or stronger than Kris. He's under pressure, like most of our backline - I have no doubt about that. He's said it himself. CNK is - two weeks in and again we're seeing little to no attacking threat from him. Raps is, especially since he's going year by year and fighting for his professional survival. He's lost weight to get back some of the agility that he lost.

Simonsson and Scott both had to put weight on so they'd get bullied less and offer more punch off our line. Valemei's lost his spot and now doesn't seem to be in the first grade equation atm. Kris himself has shed quite a bit from his short time in FG two seasons ago, which I think is playing a big part in the threat he's now offering. Rookie or not, the kid looks to have a lot of talent, the type of which deserves to have a prolonged stint in FG in order to develop.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I can't play any scenario in my head where Seb Kris makes a difference to that preliminary final result.
Last edited by Northern Raider on March 25, 2021, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

With Croker in the team, we must be the oldest side in the NRL this week.

*checks notes*

Nope, not an issue. Croker stays in.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Northern Raider wrote: March 25, 2021, 11:36 am I can't play any scenario in my head where Seb Kris makes a difference to that preliminary final result.
Tbh if we had 2021 seb over 2020 rapana we would have gone better, still lost but probably not as embarassing.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Its Croker and CNK in the gunsights this year then?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:

TBH they are 2 bad options though. Cotric was signed by the Dogs as a centre, and I see they give him the number 4 on his back. He's still heading back on tackle 5 to field kicks though. If Cotric was a top tier NRL centre he'd be playing there, rather than the hybrid model the Dogs have gone with.
I beat this drum a lot at the end of last year. But I still think we would have put up a significantly stronger fight with Timoko instead of Valemei and leaving Rapana on the right wing. But it should have been done weeks out.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 25, 2021, 7:16 am

We'll see how things go and it's very early days and he doesnt have a ton of support in the play making roles but so far, this is a winger pretending to be a centre.
I think defensively he'd have been better than Rapana last year, so i agree with Julian that it was a mistake not to play him there given how poorly Raps defended at that spot but 2 games in and Cotric looks like a winger trying to play centre.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Johno wrote:Its Croker and CNK in the gunsights this year then?
Tbf Croker has been in the gun sights annually since 2009

Absolute miracle he's made 279 games based on the opinions of GH members

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

-TW- wrote: March 26, 2021, 9:58 pm

Yeah but has he scored any points in those 279 games?
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Johno wrote: March 27, 2021, 9:26 am
-TW- wrote: March 26, 2021, 9:58 pm

Yeah but has he scored any points in those 279 games?
Irrelevant! He got steamrolled by Konrad Hurrell once, and Vunivalu beat him last year when he had a busted shoulder. A complete liability out there!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Hardly any I mean after 279 games he's only 5th on that list.. They reckon he can kick goals but he's only 9th on that list and tries I mean really.. 26th.. come on why do we keep picking this guy.. is behond me

Now sure some of those horrid flick passes from this hog do end up in tries but really

Reminds me a little of how this club stuck by that mal guy who broke his arm like a million times sure he did OK but really

No way any self respecting club would do anything other than sack him.. Rather than this insane idea of bringing him back from injury.. Ive never seen any other player play below their best when injured just this guy

And that thing he does with the headgear and the kids.. The visiting of sick kids in hospital the constantly trying to get out of here to play for other clubs.. Who does this guy think he is.. Why would we want to have one shred of loyalty to a guy like that

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

gangrenous wrote: March 26, 2021, 8:01 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

I beat this drum a lot at the end of last year. But I still think we would have put up a significantly stronger fight with Timoko instead of Valemei and leaving Rapana on the right wing. But it should have been done weeks out.
Yup agreed that was a better idea, by a decent margin. But I also didn't see Timoko as being a difference maker in the result.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

See when he dislocated his finger? Deadset HOPELESS!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Great game from croker today, thought he showed good speed out there for our long range try.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

papabear wrote: March 27, 2021, 8:13 pm Great game from croker today, thought he showed good speed out there for our long range try.
:lol:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

We did see a couple of the 1%ers from him today that I thought we missed without him - the earned six again, for example, and the nice little pass for Raps that led to the Whitehead try. Kicking 100% helps too.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

rayden83 wrote: March 27, 2021, 8:46 pm
papabear wrote: March 27, 2021, 8:13 pm Great game from croker today, thought he showed good speed out there for our long range try.
:lol:
His side was really good

Our left side was way way better then our right side.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We looked good moving the ball on that side of the field. Happy he's back. Firmly in the its only 1 game camp, but that was a strong return game for him
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I thought he was solid without being spectacular. Bounced off a tackle or two, but recovered to complete. The attack on that side looked really cohesive IMO.

Looking forward to seeing both Croker and Kris on the field next weekend.