No votes

Total votes: 16

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: 2020 Rd 3 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Rickmando »

Raider Azz wrote: March 24, 2021, 8:55 am
I'm Bate Man wrote: March 24, 2021, 12:03 am My god you’d think Kris had played two starting, winning roles in the last two game he’s played.

He’s a 6 game rookie, get a grip guys. He’s not replacing our captain and 250+ gamer on couple of solid performances.
Seriously. Croker has had 100s of games on par or better than the 2 games Kris had.

It is insane that people are acting this way about our captain.
Except that they aren’t, Outrage Brigade
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Kris or Croker shouldn't be a debate. I'd have played Kris instead of Simo on the wing or Havili at 14.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

kiwi raider wrote: March 24, 2021, 8:47 am
zim wrote: March 24, 2021, 8:37 am Is O'Sullivan on the left or the right?
he's replacing Harris-Tavita so should be on the left meaning he'll be up against G willy, Young, Scott
CHT is a big out for the Warriors IMO. I rate that kid highly - skillful, tough and always seemed to give his all even when the club is under the pump. Future captaincy material.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 24, 2021, 10:07 am Kris or Croker shouldn't be a debate. I'd have played Kris instead of Simo on the wing or Havili at 14.
Yeah, Simonsson has been good, but he's the one that should be on his toes. I'd be quite comfortable seeing Kris out on the wing.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Finchy wrote: March 24, 2021, 9:21 am I'm expecting Hiku and RTS to carve us up as usual. Not that we'll necessarily lose, but Hiku seems to love scoring against us. He's scored us against us in every game he's played dating back to 2016, bar one.
Hiku will be up against Croker again. I'd swap Croker and Scott around for this game because Scott is the stronger defender of the two. Hiku is one of the players Croker struggles against; Dean Gagai is another example.

I'm disappointed for Kris and I totally expected him to get a wing spot in place of Simonsson. However, I can see Ricky's thinking – minimise disruption to a winning formula. Don't agree with it in this or the instance I mentioned above, but there you go. I'm not the one who's going to have to front up if it turns to crap.

The extended bench is just Ricky's way of saying well done, you're not forgotten.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Our outs are piling up based on this app.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ilanraiders wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 23, 2021, 4:42 pm
Ilanraiders wrote:Hope Raiders lose!!Kris doesn’t deserve to be left out!!!
Get in the bin.. hoping "your" team loses is treason

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
According to pre season reports, Kris was the fittest and fastest at the club... doesn’t deserve to be dropped out of the 17... Tough call but what do you think it will do to his confidence...
Pretty sure the coaching staff would have managed his expectations

"Hey Seb, you'll be in to cover Jarrod this week and potentially next, post that you'll probably back in NSW cup"

"Sweet no worries coach"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker: "I need to play well now"

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker has played 279 games for the Canberra Raiders, scored 132 tries and kicked 815 goals. That adds up to 2158 points.

He holds the Raiders' club record for the most tries and most points. He holds the club record for most points in a season - in fact four of the top five places for most points in a season belong to him. He's second only to Jason Croker for the most appearances in green.

Last year Croker became the fifth highest point scorer in NRL history. He now has the point scoring records of Andrew Johns and Johnathan Thurston in his sights. He has to score just 18 points to match Johns and 64 points to match Thurston. There is every prospect that this season, he could become one of the three top point scorers in the code's history in Australia. He also became the youngest player ever to break through the 2,000 career points barrier in 2020.

Croker will return from off season shoulder surgery on Saturday in the clash with the Warriors. But after Sebastian Kris made a strong impression filling in for Croker in the opening two rounds, the club legend says he's feeling the competition that comes from strong depth at the club.

Kris took a year out of the game in 2020 to get himself back into the right frame of mind. He was given a chance at another contract, with a train and trial deal over the off season - and "trained the house down". The 21 year old Valley Dragons junior was rewarded with the final place in the top 30 squad for 2021 just before Round 1.

Croker praised Kris's commitment to return and his performances so far this year.

"He's been great," Croker said today.

"He obviously had the year off, he missed out last year. I think he came back in mid November, long before all the boys came back in and he's been leading the fitness ever since."

"He's been absolutely flying. Everyone's seen how hard he was working."

"For him to get that opportunity in the first game, and then the second game, and be one of our best players in both games, it's been great."

"He's also held out guys like Matt Timoko and Harley Smith Shields as well. It just goes to show the depth we've got in the squad."

"I need to play well now. I need go in and play well. I just can't expect to just slide back in there."

"He's played that well, that I've got a job to go out and do now. That's the sort of depth and pressure we need around the club."

Lock forward Joe Tapine says he's also feeling the competItion for spots in the team.

"In the middle of training you can feel it. Everyone knows it's training, but it's still tense. They obviously want to play first grade, obviously everyone does. So it's a bit harder than usual," he said.

"Even the players not on our bench, the boys not getting selected, there's great depth. We're lucky we've got four forwards on the bench, because they've made the game faster."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Tapine and Croker praise squad depth: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... uad-depth/

VIDEO: Meet Jack Wighton's grassroots club: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/24/mee ... oots-club/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Papa vs Addin Fonua-Blake is going to be huge for us this weekend.

I think we have them covered in the edges and halves although Tuivasa-Sheck is a massive factor. If the Warriors pack led by AFB and Harris get on a roll in the middle we could be in a bit of trouble.

Won and lost up front as per usual. I think James and Sutton off the bench will be a big factor for us. It's like 2016 when we had the likes of Vaughan and Taps coming on after Boyd and Paulo.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 24, 2021, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 24, 2021, 12:31 pm Papa vs Addin Fonua-Blake is going to be huge for us this weekend.

I think we have them covered in the edges and halves although Tuivasa-Sheck is a massive factor. If the Warriors pack led by AFB and Harris get on a roll in the middle we could be in a bit of trouble.

Won and lost up front as per usual. I think James and Sutton off the bench will be a huge factor for us. It's like 2016 when we had the likes of Vaughan and Taps coming on after Boyd and Paulo.
Impact from the bench middles definitely a strong point for us. As good as Paps, Tapine and Lui are we don't see any real drop off with Sutton, James and Sia. Horse and Guler ready to step in if needed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

heard a rumour that Lui will be a late out for Guler
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How's that going to work with Guler out of the 21?
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

zim wrote: March 24, 2021, 1:23 pm How's that going to work with Guler out of the 21?
wouldn't have a clue. If it doesn't happen though at least I'll know my mate and his "club contacts" are full of you know what.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Belcher#1 wrote:
zim wrote: March 24, 2021, 1:23 pm How's that going to work with Guler out of the 21?
wouldn't have a clue. If it doesn't happen though at least I'll know my mate and his "club contacts" are full of you know what.
If it doesn’t happen?

I don’t think the competition rules even allow it to happen. Maybe an exemption due to injury or Lui burnt Papa’s lunch.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Those quotes are exactly what you want to hear from Toots.

He's put the pressure on himself now. He could have avoided saying some of those things like he needs to play well etc. Kudos to him for acknowledging it.

I'll back him to have a good season as long as he stays injury-free. I think he knows he needs one.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

BJ wrote: March 24, 2021, 1:43 pm
Belcher#1 wrote:
If it doesn’t happen?

I don’t think the competition rules even allow it to happen. Maybe an exemption due to injury or Lui burnt Papa’s lunch.
he seemed pretty adamant Lui wouldn't be playing. Injury concern could be the only issue as if it was due to form Ricky wouldn't have even named him
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If Lui isn’t playing it’s not for Guler.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahaha god I love it when people come through with horse **** rumours that are clearly horse ****.
BJ
Steve Walters

2020 Rd 3 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BJ »

If someone wants to compete with The Mole or BJ Mole, either completely make the entire story up OR report it as a new scoop seconds after you receive an official press release from the club.

BTW, BJ Mole reporting that Jarryd Hayne may soon find himself in trouble for past behaviour.
Last edited by BJ on March 24, 2021, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Just not sure Belcher#1 Mole has the same ring to it, BJ.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

The Nickman wrote: March 24, 2021, 3:10 pm Hahahaha god I love it when people come through with horse **** rumours that are clearly horse ****.
settle down now. I just passed on a rumour I heard to see if anyone else had heard something similar.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Belcher#1 wrote: March 24, 2021, 3:52 pm
The Nickman wrote: March 24, 2021, 3:10 pm Hahahaha god I love it when people come through with horse **** rumours that are clearly horse ****.
settle down now. I just passed on a rumour I heard to see if anyone else had heard something similar.
Sure you did, Keno.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Kris smashed it in his first two games. Very few of us predicted just how well he'd play and all of us are really excited by it, which is why the conversation about whether he should be picked or not has so much heat.

But I don't think anyone should be disappointed for him. He got a shot over HSS and Timoko based on hard work in the off-season. That reflects well on him for putting in the hard yards and Ricky for rewarding the best player rather than who he may have had pencilled in at the beginning of preseason (when HSS and Timoko were coming off good debuts and Kris wasn't even in the Top 30).

I'd reckon knowing he had a limited number of games before Croker returned may be why he did so well. Often guys in his situation are brought in with no clear idea if they'll be there for a week or five or potentially all season. I reckon having two games no matter what allows a player to remove some of those other thoughts and just concentrate on a small, manageable period to do his best. That might have been particularly useful for a player who missed the whole of last year and looked a very long shot of playing NRL this year.

This is why the argument that this will dent Kris' confidence doesn't ring true to me. He knows he hasn't been dropped in the true sense. I'd say he'll go back to ressies with his confidence higher than ever.

Ricky could've kept him at the expense of Bailey but now we're playing Kris out of position just to keep him in the team and, while he was really good in two games, he isn't GI who you name anywhere just to have him on the field just yet. Bailey has also done pretty well for a guy who hasn't played in a hundred years. I think the club is better off all-round with allowing Bailey to get to his best - one day soon they might both be needed at the same time for a long stint.

The final thing I'll say is that Ricky has got most things mostly right for a while now, including naming Kris in the first place.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, there is zero chance Kris is butthurt over this IMO.

Looking forward to watching the Raiders NSW Cup backline this weekend.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Belcher#1 wrote: March 24, 2021, 1:37 pm
It can't happen, as Guler's not in the 21 man squad. The Raiders can only bring in a player on the four man extended bench. Can't see why the NRL would entertain any exemption from the rule (and I can't remember them doing it since the 21 man squads were introduced).
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Belcher#1 wrote: March 24, 2021, 1:37 pm
Maybe these club contacts gave your mate a fake tip off to see if he was trustworthy being given inside info. The fact that said "tip" is now on the GH for all and sundry to see, your mate might not be given any legit info now...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Even their wingers are bigger than us forwards' - Canberra Raiders set for huge Warriors challenge

They've always intimidated NRL opposition with their size, and the 2021 New Zealand Warriors are more fearsome than ever. Just ask New Zealand international Joe Tapine.

"They are physical, they're always a big team, even their wingers are bigger than us forwards so it's going to be tough," the Raiders lock said ahead of Saturday's showdown with the New Zealand club.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Jarrod Croker pays biggest compliment to deputy Sebastian Kris ahead of New Zealand Warriors clash

Jarrod Croker will spend season 2021 constantly looking over his recently healed shoulder, such has been the form of deputy Sebastian Kris in the first two NRL rounds.

"It doesn't matter who you are, especially in the last couple of seasons here. . .look at our reserve grade side this weekend, there's heaps of NRL experience in that team. There's always pressure there."j

GAME DAY GUIDE: Raiders v Warriors: Ron Giteau to sound the horn for the Viking Clap: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -warriors/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Warriors: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34519

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Curtis Scott: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... is-scott3/

VIDEO: Tapine and Croker praise squad depth: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... is-scott3/

Jack Wighton claims "Tackle of the Week": https://www.nrl.com/link/2baceb306bad45 ... e051b.aspx
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: March 24, 2021, 4:37 pm 'Even their wingers are bigger than us forwards' - Canberra Raiders set for huge Warriors challenge

They've always intimidated NRL opposition with their size, and the 2021 New Zealand Warriors are more fearsome than ever. Just ask New Zealand international Joe Tapine.

"They are physical, they're always a big team, even their wingers are bigger than us forwards so it's going to be tough," the Raiders lock said ahead of Saturday's showdown with the New Zealand club.

He's not wrong. Their back three and front rowers are where it's at for the Warriors.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:GAME DAY GUIDE: Raiders v Warriors: Ron Giteau to sound the horn for the Viking Clap: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -warriors/
Ron Giteau. Now there's a name.

GE do general admission members need to purchase a seat again?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I heard Glenn Stewart has signed with the Raiders.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Lucy wrote: March 24, 2021, 5:31 pm I heard Glenn Stewart has signed with the Raiders.

I never said that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@gergreg It would appear so:

Seating:

All attendees must have a ticket, including babies and children under the age of five. For easier access, patrons are asked to enter through the gate provided on their ticket; there will be restrictions in movement around the inner bowl. Patrons will have a reserved seat and must remain in that designated seat, even in wet weather. Tickets will show a Bay, Row and Seat number. Return to your seat after a food or bathroom break so queues can be managed in a COVID Safe way. You may be asked to verify your identity against your ticket.

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -warriors/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:@gergreg It would appear so:

Seating:

All attendees must have a ticket, including babies and children under the age of five. For easier access, patrons are asked to enter through the gate provided on their ticket; there will be restrictions in movement around the inner bowl. Patrons will have a reserved seat and must remain in that designated seat, even in wet weather. Tickets will show a Bay, Row and Seat number. Return to your seat after a food or bathroom break so queues can be managed in a COVID Safe way. You may be asked to verify your identity against your ticket.

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -warriors/
Thank you.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Rickmando wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: March 24, 2021, 8:55 am
I'm Bate Man wrote: March 24, 2021, 12:03 am My god you’d think Kris had played two starting, winning roles in the last two game he’s played.

He’s a 6 game rookie, get a grip guys. He’s not replacing our captain and 250+ gamer on couple of solid performances.
Seriously. Croker has had 100s of games on par or better than the 2 games Kris had.

It is insane that people are acting this way about our captain.
Except that they aren’t, Outrage Brigade
Croker is our starting centre. Stay mad.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »