Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Saturday 27 March 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 12:30pm
NSW Cup: Canberra Raiders V Mounties, 12:40pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Shower or two developing. Partly cloudy. Medium chance of showers during this afternoon and early evening. The chance of a thunderstorm during this afternoon and early evening. Light winds becoming northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 50 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm. Chance of rain during the game: 0-20 per cent. Min 6 Max 21 Temperature during the game: 21C Feels like: 17C

The Canberra Raiders return home for a meeting with the Warriors in Round 3, aiming to build on a 2 and 0 start to the 2021 season.

Last round: 2021 Round 2. Canberra Raiders 12 - Cronulla Sharks 10. A torrent of water had been dumped on Sydney, a one in 50 year rain event. The Raiders planned to play conservatively in the wet conditions, to control the football and the territory. That strategy worked beautifully for the first 50 minutes. The Raiders led by 12-0 at half time - but then things came unstuck. Talk about a game of two halves. The Raiders were held scoreless in the second half, while the Sharks scored two tries. And it was only the wayward boot of Chad Townsend that was the difference between winning and losing. Townsend failed to convert either of the Sharks' tries, and he missed a crucial penalty goal which could have sent the game into golden point.

More on Round 2: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker will return in Round 3, after having been given the all clear after shoulder surgery. The top 17 is otherwise unchanged. Second rower Hudson Young had a knee injury scare late in the clash with the Sharks, but has been named in the squad. Sebastian Kris drops to the reserves list.

The Warriors will be without half Chanel Harris-Tavita for up to 12 weeks as a result of a stress fracture in his foot. Sean O'Sullivan will replace him and make his club debut. Former Raider Jack Murchie returns from injury on the bench. Bunty Afoa comes in for a suspended Jamayne Taunua-Brown.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Dunamis Lui and Sam Williams from their squad on Friday afternoon. Sia Soliola will move into the starting team, with Sebastian Kris coming in on the bench. The Warriors cut Marcelo Montoya and Paul Turner from their reserves list.

Milestone: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad will play his 50th match in the green.

History: Canberra has won 24 of 44 games played against the Warriors. The Raiders have won three of the past five matches between the clubs - and seven of the last 10. In Round 20 in 2019, Canberra came away with the competition points, winning 46-12 in Auckland. However, the Warriors got the victory in Round 25 at Canberra Stadium, after the Raiders had already secured a top four finish and rested some of their star players. The Raiders defeated the Warriors, 20-6, in the Auckland club's "home" match at Robina on the Gold Coast - just prior to the suspension of the 2020 season. They then backed up to nab a 26-14 win in Round 19 at Canberra Stadium. The Raiders have won 13 of the 19 games played between the clubs at Canberra Stadium.

2020 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2020 Round 2 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

Form: Raiders: WWLWW
Warriors: LLWWL

The Warriors have a 1 and 1 start to 2021, posting a 19-6 win over the Titans in their season opener, before suffering a 20-16 loss to the Knights at Central Coast Stadium.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.28 favourites, while the Warriors are paying $3.75. The Warriors have 9.5 points start in the line betting. Odds for the Warriors have shortened over the week.

Stat attack:

2021 Season record: Raiders 2 and 0 (3rd, +20)
Warriors 1 and 1 (7th, +9)

Attack: Raiders 21 points and 3.5 tries scored per match, ranked equal 5th on tries scored
Warriors 18 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked equal 9th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 11 points conceded per match, ranked 3rd on fewest points conceded
Warriors 13 points conceded per match, ranked equal 4th on fewest points conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Warriors 52 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 72 per cent, Warriors 89 per cent

Running: Raiders 1547 running metres from 169 runs (15 dummy half runs), 149 kick return metres, 620 post contact metres per match
Warriors 1701 running metres from 195 runs (11 dummy half runs), 130 kick return metres, 654 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 42, Warriors 21 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 6, Warriors 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 4, Warriors 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 4, Warriors 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 6, Warriors 11 per match

Kicking: Raiders 538 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match
Warriors 687 kicking metres from 26 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 327 made, 25 missed, 16 ineffective per match, 89 per cent tackle efficiency
Warriors 346 made, 23 missed, 16 ineffective per match, 90 per cent tackle efficiency

Errors: Raiders 14, Warriors 7 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 5, Warriors 6 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 4, Warriors 5 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 5, Warriors 3 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 3, Warriors 6 per match

Key match-ups:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Raiders fullback, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad looks on Warriors captain, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as a mentor - from the days when CNK was a young Warrior. Tuivasa-Sheck was the 2018 Dally M Medalist, and is still ranked highly by his peers. He was voted third best fullback in the competition in the 2020 Players' Poll, behind James Tedesco and Tom Trbojevic. This will be the last season Tuivasa-Sheck plays with the New Zealand outfit, as he is leaving the code at the end of 2021. Nicoll-Klokstad is a very strong running fullback, but ball playing is the area where Tuivasa-Sheck has a real advantage in this match-up.

Jordan Rapana and David Fusitu'a The Warriors have three of the best back three players in the NRL - but the two wingers, Ken Maumalo and David Fusitu'a played less than half the season last year. They were among the players who returned to New Zealand for family reasons during the pandemic, while the Warriors based themselves in Australia. David Fusitu'a, 26, is now back in action and faces Jordan Rapana - with the Raiders veteran shifting to the left in 2021. Rapana doesn't quite have the speed he did, but his numbers compare pretty favourably to Fusitu'a so far this year.

Josh Papalii and Addin Fonua-Blake These two might not face each other directly, but they are the leaders of the pack for their teams. Addin Fonua-Blake was released by the Sea Eagles early to join the Warriors - and he is one of a number of good forward signings for the Warriors this year. Fonua-Blake is not the most popular of players at Canberra Stadium, given his past taunting of the crowd. But he's big, powerful and dangerous in attack. He likes an offload. Josh Papalii is the best prop in the competition in my view - but I think it is fair to say that his form in the opening two rounds is a little down on his 2020 season. That's showing in the statistics for the first two rounds. Perhaps his boxing training in the off season had an impact. But the bottom line, he's the big Papa bear in the world of NRL props, so he wins this match-up for mine.

Joseph Tapine and Tohu Harris In the second half of last season, Joe Tapine was in career best form. And in 2021, he's picked up exactly where he left off. Tohu Harris joined the Warriors from the Melbourne Storm in 2018. His 2019 was affected by injury, but in 2020, he appeared in every game and won the Simon Mannering Medal as the club's player of the year. Their numbers so far in 2021 are not that far apart, but I'm backing Tapine to more than match his opponent in this one.

Our tip: This is going to be a tough game for the Raiders, tougher than many might expect. The Warriors have recruited well over the off season, and have a big pack. The New Zealand outfit also have a full complement of players on deck, despite basing themselves at Gosford again - at least for the start of the year. That's because the player's families have been able to join their partners and fathers in Australia. The weather is forecast to improve after the deluge of rain - but the ground could still be a bit soggy, which should help the Warriors. On the downside, they will be disrupted in the halves, due to the loss of Chanel Harris-Tavita to a long term injury - and they have both Jamayne Taunua-Brown and Euan Aitken on the sidelines.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart will want to see a marked improvement on the final 30 minutes against the Sharks last week. The poor completions in the second half last Sunday can't be repeated this week. You don't win twice in a row playing like that. In better conditions, they'll also want to lift their attack. But overall I think the Raiders should have a bit too much class. Raiders by eight.

What they're saying:

Josh Papalii on the narrow win over the Sharks: "Games like that, three or four years ago, we lose those games. It's the kind of team we're building at the moment. We're becoming that gritty team that other teams have to fight hard for that extra metre, or that extra tackle. That's been building until now. We got very close in '19 and were unlucky last year."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
16. Sia Soliola
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Ryan Sutton
17. Ryan James
21. Sebastian Kris

19. Tom Starling
20. Caleb Aekins

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c)
2. David Fusitu’a
3. Adam Pompey
4. Peta Hiku
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Sean O’sullivan
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Bunty Afoa
11. Eliesa Katoa
12. Bayley Sironen
13. Tohu Harris

14. Jazz Tevaga
15. Ben Murdoch-Masila
16. Leeson Ah Mau
17. Jack Murchie

18. Tom Ale
22. Kane Evans

Injury/Suspension

Jackson Frei, Ankle (TBA)
Jamayne Taunua-Brown, Suspended (Rd 6)
Euan Aitken, Ankle (Rd 9-11)
Chanel Harris-Tavita, Foot (Rd 13-14)

Officials

Referee: Matt Cecchin
Touch judges: Rickey MacFarlane, Drew Oultram
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLWarriorsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: 2021 Rd 3 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by raiderskater »

Papa, you can belt Fonua-Blake as hard as you like. You can even get suspended for it and I'll forgive you.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ugh, 2pm Saturday... great

Worst timeslot of the week
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Once again the good people at League Unlimited have come up with another unofficial program for the Round. Whilst there is no where near the content of Big League, it is hard to believe there are even more team lists than Big League used to provide.

Let’s hope all the games listed actually get to be played this week. The words postponed or cancelled have been synonymous with rugby league games far too many times in the past 12 months.

https://leagueunlimited.com/assets/Uplo ... 1616559169
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I like this bench. Very versatile. Very HIA/injury friendly
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Amigo’s!

Go Raiders!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 3 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Warriors will beat us today.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Image

Yeah, looking at it just now. Looks like really light showers / mist perhaps at game time.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

radicalraider wrote: March 27, 2021, 7:27 am Warriors will beat us today.
That's the spirit. :cmon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

God I hate the 2pm Saturday timeslot, really ruins my day at the pub.

Going to head up at 10am just to overcompensate for it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: March 27, 2021, 8:24 am God I hate the 2pm Saturday timeslot, really ruins my day at the pub.

Don’t forget to go home for the game and return to the pub later.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2021 Rd 3 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 27, 2021, 8:24 am God I hate the 2pm Saturday timeslot, really ruins my day at the pub.

Don’t forget to go home for the game and return to the pub later.
If I must, I will.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

This will absolutely be a tough game for us.

For mine, Souths and Penrith have been far and away the best teams this season. They look focussed and cohesive. Melbourne have been their usual structured selves, but have not responded well to pressure and struggle against a well organised defence. Souths absolutely gifted them a huge lead in round 1. The Roosters as started strongly against awful teams, but these recent injuries plus Cordner have them in all sorts. They already struggled last year with replacing Cronk.

It's games like this that will tell me where we are at, especially in attack. The temptation for us will be to go wide in the 20, but that is not our strength. Smart kicks behind the line might be the go early on.

Should be a good game.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

:roflmao
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 27, 2021, 9:06 am

For mine, Souths and Penrith have been far and away the best teams this season. They look focussed and cohesive. Melbourne have been their usual structured selves, but have not responded well to pressure and struggle against a well organised defence. Souths absolutely gifted them a huge lead in round 1. The Roosters as started strongly against awful teams, but these recent injuries plus Cordner have them in all sorts. They already struggled last year with replacing Cronk.

It's games like this that will tell me where we are at, especially in attack. The temptation for us will be to go wide in the 20, but that is not our strength. Smart kicks behind the line might be the go early on.

Should be a good game.
Tough game against an improved Warriors and their big pack, would like to see us target their 6 and 7, Papa, whitehead and especially Tapine can have some real joy.

Need to limit Maumalo's and RTS involvement.

Just checked Kayo schedule, Raiders v Mounties at 12.40pm...bonus !!

Go Raiders!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Johno wrote: March 27, 2021, 9:36 am
Seiffert82 wrote: March 27, 2021, 9:06 am

Should be a good game.
Tough game against an improved Warriors and their big pack, would like to see us target their 6 and 7, Papa, whitehead and especially Tapine can have some real joy.

Need to limit Maumalo's and RTS involvement.

Just checked Kayo schedule, Raiders v Mounties at 12.40pm...bonus !!

Go Raiders!
Yep, they are obviously strong in the middle, with two very, very powerful wingers. Despite that, we also need to play to our strengths and also dominate through the middle. It's a great matchup.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I think we'll win and win well. So naturally we will play poorly and it'll go down to the wire.

Should have gone to the pub at 10 as well.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Love the confidence! Seriously, what are your main concerns? Complacency? Lack of attacking penetration? I reckon It will definitely be a tighter encounter than most are expecting , especially the bookies.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

greeneyed wrote: March 27, 2021, 6:27 am Image

Oh, serious? Darn it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Image

So essentially little chance of nothing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

2021 Rd 3 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and New Zealand Warriors at Canberra Stadium.

Remember, live scores and discussion of the NSW Cup match is happening here: viewtopic.php?p=1781743#p1781743

These are the final squads.

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
15. Ryan Sutton
12. Elliott Whitehead
21. Sebastian Kris
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan James
19. Tom Starling

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c)
2. David Fusitu’a
3. Adam Pompey
4. Peta Hiku
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Sean O’sullivan
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. Bunty Afoa
11. Eliesa Katoa
13. Tohu Harris
14. Jazz Tevaga

12. Bayley Sironen
15. Ben Murdoch-Masila
16. Leeson Ah Mau
17. Jack Murchie
Last edited by The Greenhouse on March 27, 2021, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Hudson Young OUT with Kris starting in the 2nd row.

Starling onto the bench.

Sutton starting for Sia.

Bit worried with Young out.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Seb Kris for a double

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

IBG wrote:Hudson Young OUT with Kris starting in the 2nd row.

Starling onto the bench.

Sutton starting for Sia.

Bit worried with Young out.
Far out. Smokes and mirrors.
Changes the dynamic.

Never seen Seb play 2nd row before.

I do like Starlo on the bench.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Havili and Starling on the same bench. Wowsers. Excited to see Kris play 2nd row. Fingers crossed
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Seb definitely has the build for the 2nd row
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Well this will be interesting
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Danger game.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

I think Kris will go well but CNH will be very annoyed he wasn’t selected in the wider squad earlier in the week.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

KasparRaider wrote: March 27, 2021, 1:35 pm I think Kris will go well but CNH will be very annoyed he wasn’t selected in the wider squad earlier in the week.
Didnt do much in the earlier game to make Ricky take notice though.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

CHN had an interrupted week with court
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

CHN only has himself to blame for not being in FG at this point.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

If CHN puts the work in and has his head right he will be in the top squad sooner rather than later I have no doubt about that. Easily one of the most talented the rest is up to him.