Sebastian Kris

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Sebastian Kris

Post by papabear »

Deserves his own thread, the kid is a gun an absolute weapon.

If Croker is to come back into the team I am not sure who you drop for him, since he has always been a left centre maybe you slot him back in there but imo you have to find a spot for Kris in the side.

The other young backs in our side may be quality but tbh Kris at 21 has looked as good as any outside back going around.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Sebastian Kris

Post by Botman »

Really happy for him. To get here from where he was is really great and i hope his story can get some attention in the wider RL community because i think it could really help other players in similar positions.

For the team going forward, whether we like it or not, Croker is coming back into the team. So now what to do with Kris? The real easy answer for most is going to be that they dont like Scott, and he should get dropped for Kris. But Scott is playing legitimately good football this year. He has been IMO close to if not just as impressive as Kris. If Kris gets that spot when Croker comes back, Im OK with it, but that's a harder decision to make than many will say. And i think Stuart is going to give Scott and Croker the spots.

So other options... Kris to the wing? I dont know about that. I think Simo and Rapana are looking good there, and Im not sure Kris would be a good winger.
I dont mind the idea of Kris being in jersey #14, but im also not convinced he's that sort of impact player. I'm open to it, but i'd rather Starling.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Really impressed by him.
That left edge is really solid defensively at the moment.
Just wished we had more in attack.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea he's been great but i'm not sure he is a wing option, centre or 14 for me. though with him having no football last year I'm not sure i want him warming the bench and not seeing decent minutes for an extended period, doesn't deserve to be dropped but Croker is coming back at left centre.

i'd be inclined to give him some decent minutes in the second row in reserve grade too just to see if he really is an option of covering second row from the utility position later in the year,
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I don’t think you go second row with him, he’s quick enough for centre.

Honestly after rapanas effort on the weekend he could maybe do with a spell, though I’m not sure how comfy kris is with a high ball
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Back to reserves.

He's not going to play back row because we have good players there already

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Kris has been the pick of our outside backs in the opening couple of rounds for mine, good to also see Scott start the season stronger than last year

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sid on March 22, 2021, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Kris played a few of his early FG games on the wing didn’t he?

I’m no fan of Scott but agree that he looks competent so far this year, leave him where he is.

If Croker has to come back (and I wouldn’t rush him), then it’s Kris to wing for mine in place of Simonsson
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rickmando wrote: March 22, 2021, 9:59 am Kris played a few of his early FG games on the wing didn’t he?

I’m no fan of Scott but agree that he looks competent so far this year, leave him where he is.

If Croker has to come back (and I wouldn’t rush him), then it’s Kris to wing for mine in place of Simonsson
I'd agree. Kris has done enough to retain his spot and Scott has looked quite good so far in 2021. Rapana seems more like the 2019 version than 2020 (that's a good thing). Leaves Simo as the odd one out.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:02 am
Rickmando wrote: March 22, 2021, 9:59 am Kris played a few of his early FG games on the wing didn’t he?

I'd agree. Kris has done enough to retain his spot and Scott has looked quite good so far in 2021. Rapana seems more like the 2019 version than 2020 (that's a good thing). Leaves Simo as the odd one out.
Jordy still has that game-breaking play or two in him, and always puts his hand up for carries out of trouble.

Simo is a solid player but can’t get close to Kris for talent or upside, so in my mind that’s what puts him on the outer. He can be this years Oldfield
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m surprised we’ve gone this far without a Croker to wing comment.

Has TheGH moved on from this?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rickmando wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:05 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:02 am

Jordy still has that game-breaking play or two in him, and always puts his hand up for carries out of trouble.

Simo is a solid player but can’t get close to Kris for talent or upside, so in my mind that’s what puts him on the outer. He can be this years Oldfield
Yep, Rapana still looks like he could bust through for a big run which was his trademark. I can recall Simo doing anything like that in his whole time in 1st grade.

Of course Jordy is good fo the odd special play. Like running across field, throwing a floating pass to an unsuspecting Whitehead then run across and knock the ball out of his hands. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'd put Kris at 14 and Croker back into 3, personally. Good situation to be in though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:21 am I'd put Kris at 14 and Croker back into 3, personally. Good situation to be in though.
Kris to 14 for Havili is what I was originally thinking. Now I'm lea in towards him playing wing. He could stay left side with Croker and Rapana play right.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

I'm glad it's Ricky making the tough calls.
And he has the tough calls in him. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he said "Jarrod, our centres are going well without you so even though you're ready, I'm not dropping them. You'll get a chance at some stage"

He's done similar in the past when players have been injured and the replacements have stepped up. Can't think of names though.

I don't see Croker being named this week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:25 am
The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:21 am I'd put Kris at 14 and Croker back into 3, personally. Good situation to be in though.
Kris to 14 for Havili is what I was originally thinking. Now I'm lea in towards him playing wing. He could stay left side with Croker and Rapana play right.
That could work, I'm just not prepared to drop Bailey Simonsson quite yet. I also increasingly like the idea of a big outside back on the bench with the way HIAs work these days.

I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought Kris played a bit off the bench a few years back when he was first running around?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:44 am
That could work, I'm just not prepared to drop Bailey Simonsson quite yet. I also increasingly like the idea of a big outside back on the bench with the way HIAs work these days.

I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought Kris played a bit off the bench a few years back when he was first running around?
You get the feeling Croker is still another week away so the game against Warriors could shed more light.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I'd put Seb in Simmonson's spot. Sorry but Simmonson gets man handled in tackles.

With croker back, we will definitely need a big body to make the dirty carries and he fits it perfectly.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm starting to think Kris wing. He can move one in occasionally too, rotate with Toots

It's a good problem to have, when we thought we were skinny in the backs this year
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Seb Kris has been a revelation this year and his year away has clearly seen him come back focussed and ready to step up in first grade. Who would have thought two weeks ago as everyone bemoaned our questionable depth in the outside backs that this thread discussing who to drop for the return of our Captain would be featuring on the Green House so early in the season.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

This Seb Kris fella goes ok.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The bench is an interesting issue for Stuart. He seems to go into every game with a specific game plan and structures his bench with that in mind over having the flexibility to deal with injuries.

Our game plan is to dominate through the middle and keep bodies fresh for that job. Havili gives Stuart some coverage for Hodgo, but he is being used as another middle. To that extent it is what it is.

For me, there is value in keeping Havili there for that coverage and adding an outside back. Young provides a great deal of flexibility across the back row, but he's also an 80 minute player...CHN would want to come back on fire for me to drop Young for him in the starting side.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

To be fair, he was pretty good in his debut season too. I distinctly remember seeing him in his headgear crash over the line a few times and thinking "this kid goes ok".

I think he was always destined to be an NRL footballer if he could sort out his off-field stuff, and it looks like he has. Such a great story.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 22, 2021, 11:43 am The bench is an interesting issue for Stuart. He seems to go into every game with a specific game plan and structures his bench with that in mind over having the flexibility to deal with injuries.

Our game plan is to dominate through the middle and keep bodies fresh for that job. Havili gives Stuart some coverage for Hodgo, but he is being used as another middle. To that extent it is what it is.

For me, there is value in keeping Havili there for that coverage and adding an outside back. Young provides a great deal of flexibility across the back row, but he's also an 80 minute player...CHN would want to come back on fire for me to drop Young for him in the starting side.
I would agree with that, but Young has now picked up a bit of an injury and you really need CHN on the bench as cover for him. So if you also carry a back and Havili, does this mean you only take one big middle? Has to James, right?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

True, I don't even know who would cover him other than CHN
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 22, 2021, 11:51 am True, I don't even know who would cover him other than CHN
Which means I'm not sure we could carry Kris AND Havili on the bench... lacking at least one big guy.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Rapana back to his usual side, Kris outside Croker and Starling to the bench for Havili.

Sorted.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Like one of the previous posts - I think he deserves his spot on the team even with Croker being ready to come back.
This kid only has a handful of games and it looks like he is going to be a weapon... he is strong and has enough pace. I like him starting at centre. Lets see how he continues.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I wouldn't object to Kris outside Croker, it seems like a good spot to be - both Simonssen and Cotric came on in leaps and bounds outside Croker as wingers, he seems to really be able to take them under his wing and bring them on.

I do think Kris is big enough to come in at #14 as a utility.

One thing I absolutely think we saw illustrated in stark reality yesterday was the absolute necessity of making sure you have a good goalkicker.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 10:44 am

He'd only played four games, in 2019, before this year... debuted off the bench, but started twice at centre and once on the wing in 2019. He only played the final five minutes in his debut.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So he can play wing then? Nice!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

All I’ll add he is that I think the talk of dropping Simonsson is a stupid idea.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Drunk Jules ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's been outstanding. I'm still assuming Croker comes straight back in and Kris goes to reggies.

It'd be enormous for Croker not to slide back in now he's been pronounced fit.

And it'd be a pretty big rejig of the bench plan to squeeze Kris in. Ricky is just not the type to abandon his whole bench plan just because a rookie centre played 2 solid games.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: March 22, 2021, 11:46 am
Seiffert82 wrote: March 22, 2021, 11:43 am The bench is an interesting issue for Stuart. He seems to go into every game with a specific game plan and structures his bench with that in mind over having the flexibility to deal with injuries.

I would agree with that, but Young has now picked up a bit of an injury and you really need CHN on the bench as cover for him. So if you also carry a back and Havili, does this mean you only take one big middle? Has to James, right?
If Young gets ruled out, I reckon Horsburgh is a greater chance of getting that position over CHN. Stuart will be keen as to make sure CHN learns his lesson.

Who knows!?