Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Re: 2021 Rd 2 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Postman Pat »

Azza wrote:
Botman wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:51 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:41 pm
Botman wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:38 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:35 pm Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by Jack?

Our highest paid player, reigning Dally M medalist. Was very poor tonight and looks well underdone so far coming into this season.
He is who he is.
His first half was pretty good, really challenged the line and with a bit of luck could have had a try or two.
Simple Jack was on full display in the 2nd half and it almost cost us.

We do need better from him but im not sure we can actually expect that of him
If we're paying him what we reportedly are, then I absolutely think we should be expecting it.

With increased pay packet comes increased responsibility and expectations. He's been quite poor first two rounds IMO.
I get that sentiment. I really do. But i dont think that is honestly realistic. He's not going to ever be a player IMO, who is consistently giving us 7-8/10 performances. He's completely boom or bust.
And we can talk about whether that's good enough given the financial outlay we're paying him,but that's the style of player he is and i dont see it changing. (Though obviously i'd love to see it)
I thought he was pretty consistent last year. He's now one of the seniors in the team and getting paid as such - no more leeway for brain-dead performances. That said, I don't think he has been horrid in either of the first two matches - just not great.
Jack’s style of play doesn’t suit wet conditions, he catches the ball at speed, hits the line hard and dusts himself off and does it again.

We used him sparingly in the first half and he tried to get involved in the second, which didn’t work at all tonight.

I thought he was good without being great round one and tried too hard tonight to make a difference. He’s still one of the best 5/8’s in the game
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I feel myself again': Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott back to best after turbulent times

A physically and mentally stronger Curtis Scott demonstrated he has firmly put his 2020 season from hell behind him at Jubilee Stadium on Sunday night.

"Curtis is a completely different person today than what he was this time last year," Ricky Stuart said. "You have only got to look at him physically. He is mid-90s [kg] in body weight now whereas he came back under a fair bit of stress and pressure last year at 89-90-91kg.He plays a physical game."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/21/i-f ... ent-times/

Townsend sorry as goal-kicking woes again haunt Sharks in Raiders loss: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/21/goa ... -slugfest/
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

JHC did we not win?

Clearly there was a game plan to stay away from the sidelines, take the hit ups, not risk 7 tackle sets and basically make no mistakes. This worked perfectly in the first half. There's no actual reason why it shouldn't have in the second apart from dropping the ball, stripping it off teammates etc. Not expansive but at least functional.

The overwhelming pro-Cronulla-isms in the commentary made it seem like they were about to score at any moment; realistically, our defence was just as good as theirs. They got one good try and also one of the most pinbally you'll ever get - so I'm happy their kicker was off the mark, because we really deserved the points more than they did, and we got them. I was told to stop saying Suck **** in front of the tv every time they stuffed up (and I did, of course).

I'd still like to see a back on the bench - Kris probably. And Havilli did nothing this time (though he wasn't on until at least the 65th minute or so - anyone know or remember?) but it looked like even in those conditions Starling would be the man. Next time, if Croker starts, I want a bench of Kris, Starling, Sutton and James. Hate to say it but Sia's day has passed.
Last edited by Lui_Bon on March 21, 2021, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

I usually like scrappy wins, but that honestly felt like a loss.

None of the boys seemed overly thrilled after the game which is good because there wasn't much to celebrate them.

A win's a win, I guess, but a few look to be on borrowed time with Croker/forwards returning soon.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

On the bright side we've played one average and one below average game and we're still 2-0.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

zim wrote: March 21, 2021, 10:58 pm On the bright side we've played one average and one below average game and we're still 2-0.
Raiders might be 2-0 but the lime milk challenge is currently 1-1 after tonight.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Crowd tonight was 3145. Outside of 2020 obviously where for some games the crowd was zero, when was the last time we played in front of such a small crowd?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I'm Bate Man wrote: March 21, 2021, 10:17 pm
Azza wrote:
Botman wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:51 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:41 pm
Botman wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:38 pm

He is who he is.
His first half was pretty good, really challenged the line and with a bit of luck could have had a try or two.
Simple Jack was on full display in the 2nd half and it almost cost us.

We do need better from him but im not sure we can actually expect that of him
If we're paying him what we reportedly are, then I absolutely think we should be expecting it.

With increased pay packet comes increased responsibility and expectations. He's been quite poor first two rounds IMO.
I get that sentiment. I really do. But i dont think that is honestly realistic. He's not going to ever be a player IMO, who is consistently giving us 7-8/10 performances. He's completely boom or bust.
And we can talk about whether that's good enough given the financial outlay we're paying him,but that's the style of player he is and i dont see it changing. (Though obviously i'd love to see it)
I thought he was pretty consistent last year. He's now one of the seniors in the team and getting paid as such - no more leeway for brain-dead performances. That said, I don't think he has been horrid in either of the first two matches - just not great.
Jack’s style of play doesn’t suit wet conditions, he catches the ball at speed, hits the line hard and dusts himself off and does it again.

We used him sparingly in the first half and he tried to get involved in the second, which didn’t work at all tonight.

I thought he was good without being great round one and tried too hard tonight to make a difference. He’s still one of the best 5/8’s in the game
It looks like Williams is taking first receiver on both sides of the ball. I don't mind this, but that's making Wighton more predictable.

Defences are able to set up against his run because there's limited space for the pass.

It was at its best last year when there was variety. Wighton taking first most of the time on the left, with Williams mixing it up sometimes. This keep the defences on their heels.

It also doesn't work the other way. I'm not saying Wighton needs to trail across the field for every play, but he struggles to take first receiver and pass to his right.

That means Williams is either crabbing across the field looking for something or we're starting the play to close to the ptb and not stretching the defence before engaging the line.

The attack sweeps beautifully from right to left, but looks awful the other way.

I'd like to see more of CNK in the line, but I'm not sure that's the answer (huge fan, but that's his weak spot).

We need to find a way to be a threat either side of the ruck to keep the defence back.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 21, 2021, 10:38 pm JHC did we not win?

Clearly there was a game plan to stay away from the sidelines, take the hit ups, not risk 7 tackle sets and basically make no mistakes. This worked perfectly in the first half. There's no actual reason why it shouldn't have in the second apart from dropping the ball, stripping it off teammates etc. Not expansive but at least functional.

The overwhelming pro-Cronulla-isms in the commentary made it seem like they were about to score at any moment; realistically, our defence was just as good as theirs. They got one good try and also one of the most pinbally you'll ever get - so I'm happy their kicker was off the mark, because we really deserved the points more than they did, and we got them. I was told to stop saying Suck **** in front of the tv every time they stuffed up (and I did, of course).

I'd still like to see a back on the bench - Kris probably. And Havilli did nothing this time (though he wasn't on until at least the 65th minute or so - anyone know or remember?) but it looked like even in those conditions Starling would be the man. Next time, if Croker starts, I want a bench of Kris, Starling, Sutton and James. Hate to say it but Sia's day has passed.
Good, boi.

Been involved in any marches lately?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bay53 wrote: March 21, 2021, 11:14 pm
zim wrote: March 21, 2021, 10:58 pm On the bright side we've played one average and one below average game and we're still 2-0.
Raiders might be 2-0 but the lime milk challenge is currently 1-1 after tonight.
It’s funny how we’ve worn the heritage jersey at home and the home jersey away.

That away jersey won’t see daylight..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

At this time of year all that matters is the win. A few points:

* Our bench rotation is a real source of strength. I remember in 2017 we played the Sharks at home early in the season, and their bench just killed us. We have come a long way from that - Sutton and James were exceptional, particularly in defence. Still, it would be nice to see Guler, Horsburgh and CHN play well in Reserve Grade and put some pressure on, I think we should be looking to transition Guler and Horsburgh in to first grade again as the year goes on, form pending.
* Scott and Kris were both great. I was particularly impressed by their defence, both made some good decisions. In general our defence was good, we conceded two tries from kicks.
* Our attack needs some work. As highlighted by others, the balance between Hodgson, Williams and Wighton still isn’t there - but I wanted to mention our support play and speed. We had 6 line breaks to 1 yet only scored twice. I feel as though the Roosters and Storm convert almost all chances into points through their support play - our halves and CNK need to be pushing up in support much more than they are.
* Wighton had one of those games, but he tried hard. When he makes a couple of mistakes, he needs to simplify his game, take the next two or three touches with simple hit ups and just getting to ground. He gets himself into a hole by trying too hard to make up for his errors, which leads to him trying more risky options.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Jack was fantastic last year. Best player in the comp (arguably). He'll come good.

Scott was very strong in defence and attack, good game. Ryan James outstanding. Kris is playing very well- looks like he belongs and he's making a difference out there not just making up numbers. His play the ball is lightning quick.

Tapine had another immense game. It's possible he's going even better than last year.

Papa and Whitehead business as usual and business is good.

The attack was pretty bad in the 20m. IMO we played one crash ball too many most sets in there and it made it very predictable our halves would only get the ball on play 4 and never before that.

Wingers had a few errors as might be expected in the wet- but gee they were clangers. On the plus side they looked dangerous running the ball.

CNK barely sighted in attack- wonder if he was injured.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

TongueFTW wrote: * Our attack needs some work. As highlighted by others, the balance between Hodgson, Williams and Wighton still isn’t there - but I wanted to mention our support play and speed. We had 6 line breaks to 1 yet only scored twice. I feel as though the Roosters and Storm convert almost all chances into points through their support play - our halves and CNK need to be pushing up in support much more than they are.
100%
On one hand it was good that the person making the break didn't throw any low percentage passes when they broke the line, but it was also worrying to see very little support running with them.
Compare this to the CNK try last week where we had people pushing up in support.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 21, 2021, 10:38 pm JHC did we not win?

I was thinking the same thing and then sia screamed of his line to make a tackle that lead to a mistake.

Sia has big plays in him and imo you should carry that in your side.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

CNK had his thigh strapped up after starting with no strapping. Was looking like he might come off at one stage. Pretty obvious he copped something.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Azza wrote: March 21, 2021, 7:34 pm It was a win and a good first half. Pretty rubbish 2nd half. But not so long ago we would have found a way to lose that game. Move on, get better.
We did find many ways to lose the game, we were just lucky that Townsend missed 3 fairly easy shots at goal.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: March 22, 2021, 9:00 am CNK had his thigh strapped up after starting with no strapping. Was looking like he might come off at one stage. Pretty obvious he copped something.
He injured himself making a cover tackle late in the first half. Looked like a bad cork or something.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

NRLPHYSIO on the Hudson Young injury Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

My two-penn'orth is that I don't think either of the halves had great games; as remarked upthread, the balance doesn't look right. And George didn't seem as secure in defence as usual. No disasters, but I think he missed a few tackles. I reckon the Sharks are a bit down on themselves now, and of course they are still missing their star man, but if Townsend had been half-decent off the tee... Still, took the points, and on you go.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

At this stage of the comp we are fine... it's not the time to peak. I also felt like it was a loss last night even though we were lucky enough to finish ahead on the scoreboard.

My concern though will be when we play better teams - we struggle in attack - we got really 2 plays: 1) try and power down the middle 2) give the ball to Jack to run. When Penrith attack they have soo many runners off the ball and it just looks very dangerous.

Hope we see some improvement in this space.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Still shaking my head! So is Elliott Whitehead...

VIDEO: Roaming Elliott: Round 2 v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-sharks/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I must be the only one here who genuinely never thought we were going to lose that.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:I must be the only one here who genuinely never thought we were going to lose that.
I had the fear of another "dugan try" moment where we somehow fluff a hail Mary play despite being in position to defuse

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings

5. Canberra Raiders (5)

A gritty win on the road; the type you bank early in the season and they help you later on. We haven't seen the best of the Raiders, but we'll get a chance to assess their premiership credentials in the coming weeks.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/22/sow ... unce-back/

Was fully expecting a downgrade from Jamie!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: March 22, 2021, 12:17 pm
The Nickman wrote:I must be the only one here who genuinely never thought we were going to lose that.
I had the fear of another "dugan try" moment where we somehow fluff a hail Mary play despite being in position to defuse

I was oddly calm, even when Townsend was taking those two shots at goal.

Saying all that though, I'm sure if we'd lost I would've put a chair through the TV.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:

Saying all that though, I'm sure if we'd lost I would've put a chair through the TV.
Ditto, that's as bad as we've played in a fair while in terms of just dropping ball and being a basket case. Coupled with them scoring an arsey try that looked like it was knocked on 57 times.

Was frustrating viewing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Jarrod Croker ready for Warriors return

Jarrod Croker is ready. Now Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart just needs to work out when to bring his co-captain back in.

"He's ticked off, he's right to go. It's now a matter of when we pick him. But he's done everything he needed to do from the conditioning and shoulder point of view.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Big hits: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-sharks/

NRL bunker coin toss baffles Canberra Raiders

Josh Papalii was left scratching his head after Sharks centre and former teammate Josh Dugan was awarded a try with seven minutes remaining in the Raiders' win over Cronulla.

"I think the video refs need a bit of help up there. We were having a good chat to some of the Sharkies boys and they said, 'Every time it goes to the bunker it's a 50-50 call. It's a flip of a coin the way they're deciding on tries or knock-ons'," he said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Ditto, that's as bad as we've played in a fair while in terms of just dropping ball and being a basket case. Coupled with them scoring an arsey try that looked like it was knocked on 57 times.

Was frustrating viewing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Five + years ago I would have started feeling nauseous just after half time, knowing we were going to lose but nah not last night. All the workmates giving me **** today, I've just responded with 'never in doubt.'

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha you know you're a good team when people are giving you **** when you win!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green Taipan wrote:
Azza wrote: March 21, 2021, 7:34 pm It was a win and a good first half. Pretty rubbish 2nd half. But not so long ago we would have found a way to lose that game. Move on, get better.
We did find many ways to lose the game, we were just lucky that Townsend missed 3 fairly easy shots at goal.
Rough. The last one wasn’t far in from touch, huge pressure and it was pissing down by the looks of the cut to the commentary box.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: March 22, 2021, 5:53 pm
Green Taipan wrote:
Rough. The last one wasn’t far in from touch, huge pressure and it was pissing down by the looks of the cut to the commentary box.
Crowd of 3000 wasn't generating as much power with the spirit fingers and the Chad failed to correct for that.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

benda wrote: March 22, 2021, 11:52 am At this stage of the comp we are fine... it's not the time to peak. I also felt like it was a loss last night even though we were lucky enough to finish ahead on the scoreboard.

My concern though will be when we play better teams - we struggle in attack - we got really 2 plays: 1) try and power down the middle 2) give the ball to Jack to run. When Penrith attack they have soo many runners off the ball and it just looks very dangerous.

Hope we see some improvement in this space.
During the last few years we have relied on individual brilliance for points. Haven't looked like a well drilled attacking team. If we are going to match it with the big boys, we will need to have a much better organised attack.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: March 22, 2021, 6:07 am Jack was fantastic last year. Best player in the comp (arguably). He'll come good.

Scott was very strong in defence and attack, good game. Ryan James outstanding. Kris is playing very well- looks like he belongs and he's making a difference out there not just making up numbers. His play the ball is lightning quick.

Tapine had another immense game. It's possible he's going even better than last year.

Papa and Whitehead business as usual and business is good.

The attack was pretty bad in the 20m. IMO we played one crash ball too many most sets in there and it made it very predictable our halves would only get the ball on play 4 and never before that.

Wingers had a few errors as might be expected in the wet- but gee they were clangers. On the plus side they looked dangerous running the ball.

CNK barely sighted in attack- wonder if he was injured.
I watched the game at a pub and could not hear any of the commentary. CNK definitely had a leg injury. Not sure if hammy or cramping but he needed medical attention. He made one glaring error in dropping a high ball but given the conditions I thought he played ok.

I'll be interested to see Sticky's selections this week. Two wins from 2 matches says 'don't change anything'. But I think both CNK and BS picked up injury and we need cover for an outside back/FB. The forwards, Lui and Havili, shared 40 minutes between them. Sia only had 30 minutes game time. That says to me we have one too many forwards on the bench. A pity the NSW Cup match was a wash out, it would have been handy to gauge some form in the backs.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

so just to round up the thoughts after that game - sharks came for us hard and were unlucky not to come away with a win against a raiders side that played poorly yet still won. bad raiders better than good sharks.
Dont delete this GE