No votes

Total votes: 11

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: 2021 Rd 2 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Just back from Kogarah.

Will not be writing home to my family in Canberra about that one.
Up The Milk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

What about that No Try overturn?
What the actual ****?
Who the hell was the video ref and how are they related to Wade Graham.
What a joke.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How good was the Rapana strip on Whitehead? Haha what a moment.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

That was beautiful.
To win ugly is a million miles better than losing gloriously.
And to top it off Dugan scores a lucky try,wins a penalty to tie it up and still loses.
It is hard to believe that the Raiders are now a team that can score 12 points and defend them.
2 from 2.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:15 pm How good was the Rapana strip on Whitehead? Haha what a moment.
**** me if that wasn’t a clue we were actively throwing the game away...
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Did someone really have to be doing the vacuuming during the Ricky Stuart coach post match press conference.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

GreenMachine wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:17 pm
zim wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:15 pm How good was the Rapana strip on Whitehead? Haha what a moment.
**** me if that wasn’t a clue we were actively throwing the game away...
Haha my first thought was to look at Rappa's sportsbet account.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:17 pm Did someone really have to be doing the vacuuming during the Ricky Stuart coach post match press conference.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great analogy for our attacking play when you think about it... relentless sucking
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:12 pm What about that No Try overturn?
What the actual ****?
What a joke.
Thought it was a fair call. Maybe wrong but the call went up as no try because it was ruled the sharks knocked on in the scrable after the Raiders lost control
If that is the ruling... and you could easily quibble about who had "possession" of that football... then the ruling is correct. No evidence to overturn the ruling of us possessing the ball, losing it and then being grounded by the Sharks

Not sure i agree with the ruling of us possessing the ball though. Looked simultaneous to me, which means the Sharks technically own the ball, and thus it's their knock on at that point.

If that's not how they ruled it, and i may have read it wrong as it was confusing, then i'd have to reevaluate.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by Jack? Our highest paid player, reigning Dally M medalist.

Was very poor tonight and looks well underdone so far coming into this season. Really should've been able to use his running game to great effect. If I'm comparing him to Munster right now, he's not even in the same league.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:35 pm Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by Jack?

Our highest paid player, reigning Dally M medalist. Was very poor tonight and looks well underdone so far coming into this season.
He is who he is.
His first half was pretty good, really challenged the line and with a bit of luck could have had a try or two.
Simple Jack was on full display in the 2nd half and it almost cost us.

We do need better from him but im not sure we can actually expect that of him
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:24 pm
What the actual ****?
What a joke.
Thought it was a fair call. Maybe wrong but the call went up as no try because it was ruled the sharks knocked on in the scrable after the Raiders lost control
If that is the ruling... and you could easily quibble about who had "possession" of that football... then the ruling is correct. No evidence to overturn the ruling of us possessing the ball, losing it and then being grounded by the Sharks

Not sure i agree with the ruling of us possessing the ball though. Looked simultaneous to me, which means the Sharks technically own the ball, and thus it's their knock on at that point.

If that's not how they ruled it, and i may have read it wrong as it was confusing, then i'd have to reevaluate.
They ruled he knocked it back, after Raiders took possession first. I think the bunker got it right.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

What the actual ****?
What a joke.

Snowflakes chance in hell that overturn was warranted. Ref sent it up as No Try...I’ve yet to witness a video ref work so hard to overturn a decision.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:38 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:35 pm Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by Jack?

Our highest paid player, reigning Dally M medalist. Was very poor tonight and looks well underdone so far coming into this season.
He is who he is.
His first half was pretty good, really challenged the line and with a bit of luck could have had a try or two.

If we're paying him what we reportedly are, then I absolutely think we should be expecting it.

With increased pay packet comes increased responsibility and expectations. He's been quite poor first two rounds IMO.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:35 pm Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by Jack? Our highest paid player, reigning Dally M medalist.

Was very poor tonight and looks well underdone so far coming into this season. Really should've been able to use his running game to great effect. If I'm comparing him to Munster right now, he's not even in the same league.
To be fair our halves and hooker all look at sea in the opposition 20...
Wighton has started slow and our kicking game has been non existent...
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:35 pm Anyone else slightly underwhelmed by Jack? Our highest paid player, reigning Dally M medalist.

Wighton does need to be better. Handling just wasn't good enough tonight. I'm confident he'll start turning it around.
I don't think he's using Kris like he should either. I'd imagine once Croker comes back in we'll start seeing more ball hit that chest, and that's no knock on Kris.
Last edited by zim on March 21, 2021, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

While I am happy to walk away with 2 competition points, if the Cronulla half back could kick we would have lost. I was disappointed in the lack of discipline shown by some in taking out Shark players not in possession. Sticky will have to work on it during the week.

Seb Kris looks very much at home in FG. Sticky has a tough selection decision once Jarod Croker is available for selection. Papa gave his usual quality effort particularly in defence. Hopefully Hudson Young's knee responds to treatment during the week.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:40 pm
What the actual ****?
What a joke.

They ruled he knocked it back, after Raiders took possession first. I think the bunker got it right.
Yeah. If that's the call, then i think they got it right. Tough call though
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wighton had a particularly poor game. He seems to go in runs of good and bad form.

I’d rather him improve as the season progresses than the other way round.

Hodgson needs to give faster and cleaner ball to the halves. Although today’s conditions made that tough.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

For anyone that wants to relive the Rapana magic:
Last edited by zim on March 22, 2021, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:42 pm

Hooker and halfback are still leaving their marks on the game though, as they did tonight. Two plays by them ultimately won us the game, and George was able to put repeated pressure on their line. To me, that's ultimately what you want and need from your spine players, especially when they or the team collectively are playing badly.

Can't say the same about Jack so far, though I will back him to come good. Needs to lift quick though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

GreenMachine wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:40 pm
What the actual ****?
What a joke.

Snowflakes chance in hell that overturn was warranted. Ref sent it up as No Try...I’ve yet to witness a video ref work so hard to overturn a decision.
Yeah, I'm a bit dumbfounded as to what it takes to overrule the on-field ref. How it was decided that Simonsson had control of the ball is beyond me. They dead set practically paused the footage when it touches it, making it seem like he held the ball. Fact is, it was a contested bomb and the Sharks hand knocks it on at the same time Simo tries to grab it.

It was a ridiculous call to overrule the ref.
BJ
Steve Walters

2021 Rd 2 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by BJ »

To finish with a positive our line speed was excellent from the first tackle right into early in the second half. Some of the tackling power was downright scary.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:41 pm

He is who he is.

If we're paying him what we reportedly are, then I absolutely think we should be expecting it.

With increased pay packet comes increased responsibility and expectations. He's been quite poor first two rounds IMO.
I get that sentiment. I really do. But i dont think that is honestly realistic. He's not going to ever be a player IMO, who is consistently giving us 7-8/10 performances. He's completely boom or bust.
And we can talk about whether that's good enough given the financial outlay we're paying him,but that's the style of player he is and i dont see it changing. (Though obviously i'd love to see it)
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Simmonsen out Croker in
Seb to Wing
Starling 14 Havili out
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

How sexy were our jerseys?

My oh my..

Anyway.. Good win. Ryan looks delicious. Tarps is always delicious and Elliott has again proven why he is in the best 17 Raiders to ever play the game.

Onto next week.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I certainly couldn’t see how you could overrule the ref who had a great view. I couldn’t see the clear evidence to overturn the live decision. (Note I was away and didn’t have my usual super high def TV today).

Which has previously shown me correct bunker decisions which others here have questioned.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:48 pm
GreenMachine wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:42 pm

Hooker and halfback are still leaving their marks on the game though, as they did tonight. Two plays by them ultimately won us the game, and George was able to put repeated pressure on their line. To me, that's ultimately what you want and need from your spine players, especially when they or the team collectively are playing badly.

Can't say the same about Jack so far, though I will back him to come good. Needs to lift quick though.
Hodgson has a lot to answer for with that first half...90% completion and over 30 tackles on their line...crash ball after crash ball...not to mention the fact he is still holding the ball too long in the ruck and taking time away from Williams and Wighton.

Williams kicking game has been poor. Too many times not finding grass..

Wighton has been the worst I agree. Those two dropped balls were a throw back to his frantic first few months in the halves...

I’m more concerned about the lack of cohesion among the 3...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:50 pm To finish with a positive our line speed was excellent from the first tackle right into early in the second half. Some of the tackling power was downright scary.
Agree.
Two games in our line speed and tackling looks strong.
Warriors will test it more than the two teams we’ve played so far..
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

On reflection we had a simple game plan, we executed to a t in the first half, we dropped a million balls in the second and it got a bit scrappy.

Those calling out our attack would be calling blue murder of we tried to play expansive and dropped it every set

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah I get that we have the season to work on our attack...the problem as I see it is that our competition (Roosters, Souths and Panthers) don’t have that problem.
They all defend well too...
Playing a full season of “ grind” isn’t going to cut it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No, if we play the full season of grind like that we’ll have too many injuries and drop too many games.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RedRaider wrote:While I am happy to walk away with 2 competition points, if the Cronulla half back could kick we would have lost. I was disappointed in the lack of discipline shown by some in taking out Shark players not in possession. Sticky will have to work on it during the week.

Seb Kris looks very much at home in FG. Sticky has a tough selection decision once Jarod Croker is available for selection. Papa gave his usual quality effort particularly in defence. Hopefully Hudson Young's knee responds to treatment during the week.
Agreed on Young. Looked like a possible low grade medial tear, maybe? He has been looking really good on the edge so hopefully nothing serious.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

If Rick has ANY responsibility for our attack, then he needs to hand it over ASAP. A la an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

And if he doesn’t, then maybe he needs to assume some.

Either way, what we continue to turn out isn’t working. For professional footballers, it’s incohesive rubbish that isn’t really good enough coming off 3-4 months of training.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:51 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:41 pm

He is who he is.

I get that sentiment. I really do. But i dont think that is honestly realistic. He's not going to ever be a player IMO, who is consistently giving us 7-8/10 performances. He's completely boom or bust.
And we can talk about whether that's good enough given the financial outlay we're paying him,but that's the style of player he is and i dont see it changing. (Though obviously i'd love to see it)
I thought he was pretty consistent last year. He's now one of the seniors in the team and getting paid as such - no more leeway for brain-dead performances. That said, I don't think he has been horrid in either of the first two matches - just not great.