Tigers 13+
No votes

Total votes: 15

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2021 Rd 1 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2021, 10:40 am I still don’t think it’s worse yet, I just think we should give it a few more rounds to get used to it before we piss and moan about every little rule change
Yeah, let's see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. Ref awarding try then bunker having a look is really no different to ref sending it to the bunker caliing it a try. I prefer it this way with a bit of refinement. Commentators made a valid point about lost time before the review actually starts. They should reset the clock if a decision is overturned.

With the Williams try I wasn't celebrating at any stage. Watching live I thought the Tigers support was interfered with. Said at the time I don't think this will stand.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I’m a fan of the 6 again rule and in general the way it is being applied. There are still some consistency issues to iron out but there were with penalties that had a much bigger impact on the game. There will always be inconsistency but on the whole this increases the likelihood of referees calling infringements and limits the impact of wrong decisions.

It also gets rid of a lot of the cynical penalties that were given away specifically to stop the game and get a rest.

It’s a bit of a lottery at times but I think it will slowly improve and even out across the season.

Not convinced about the video ref reviewing every try after it is given. The main challenge seems to be that a decision is reversed and points are taken off. There must be another way to manage this so the decision is confirmed or denied before the points are added.

I’d be happy to see the back of novelty rules that add nothing to the game.

We also need to work the rules better we have the pick to be fighting for quick play of the balls every play and that is how you will win 6 again calls and win the momentum battle.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2021, 10:40 am I still don’t think it’s worse yet, I just think we should give it a few more rounds to get used to it before we piss and moan about every little rule change
Yeah, let's see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. Ref awarding try then bunker having a look is really no different to ref sending it to the bunker caliing it a try. I prefer it this way with a bit of refinement. Commentators made a valid point about lost time before the review actually starts. They should reset the clock if a decision is overturned.

With the Williams try I wasn't celebrating at any stage. Watching live I thought the Tigers support was interfered with. Said at the time I don't think this will stand.
Yeah, that’s the thing, once you get used to it, you’ll say “I don’t think this is a try, I reckon he’s knocked that on” and you’ll wait for it to be overturned

It’ll be fine once everyone gets used to it, and honestly, if it had’ve gone against the tigers twice instead of the raiders, the loudest opponents to the change would currently be trumpeting it from the rooftops
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

pickles wrote: March 16, 2021, 11:02 am I’m a fan of the 6 again rule and in general the way it is being applied. There are still some consistency issues to iron out but there were with penalties that had a much bigger impact on the game. There will always be inconsistency but on the whole this increases the likelihood of referees calling infringements and limits the impact of wrong decisions.

It also gets rid of a lot of the cynical penalties that were given away specifically to stop the game and get a rest.

It’s a bit of a lottery at times but I think it will slowly improve and even out across the season.

Not convinced about the video ref reviewing every try after it is given. The main challenge seems to be that a decision is reversed and points are taken off. There must be another way to manage this so the decision is confirmed or denied before the points are added.

I’d be happy to see the back of novelty rules that add nothing to the game.

We also need to work the rules better we have the pick to be fighting for quick play of the balls every play and that is how you will win 6 again calls and win the momentum battle.
I'm cautiously optimistic on the 6 again rule. I'm hoping refs continue to be tough in their use of it. Particularly in the red zone where players are more willing to test their limits. Also not be afraid to use the sin bin for repeat infringements.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Northern Raider wrote: March 16, 2021, 10:59 am

I agree with this as well. I've actually been saying for years that they should adopt this model and just automatically review every try scoring play, similar to the NFL. As long as the correct decision comes from the bunker (and look, that's probably debatable that we will get that given the history we have seen but I think sorting out the quality of officials is another issue entirely) then I don't think there's any problem. The issue of fans getting excited initially then having that taken away will sort itself over time as Nickman said once people get used to the system.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The issue is... there have been a multitude of rule changes in recent years, some of them clearly adding complication for no benefit (20/40s, two point field goals), some of them clearly not thought through properly.

This particular rule change was rushed through, without thought late last year. Now we're told they didn't think about the "lost game time" when a try is overturned. The supporters are well within their rights to express their views on it. We're told that the NRL is listening to the fans... but not when it is inconvenient. This rule change has been widely panned since the Round 1 games, and deservedly so, in my view.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2021, 2:04 pm The issue is... there have been a multitude of rule changes in recent years, some of them clearly adding complication for no benefit (20/40s, two point field goals), some of them clearly not thought through properly.

This particular rule change was rushed through, without thought late last year. Now we're told they didn't think about the "lost game time" when a try is overturned. The supporters are well within their rights to express their views on it. We're told that the NRL is listening to the fans... but not when it is inconvenient. This rule change has been widely panned since the Round 1 games, and deservedly so, in my view.
True GE but one thing the NRL has shown this past year is a willingness to adjust quickly. In regards to the lost time they could well introduce a change between rounds. No sense in waiting if you can improve the situation immediately.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:The issue is... there have been a multitude of rule changes in recent years, some of them clearly adding complication for no benefit (20/40s, two point field goals), some of them clearly not thought through properly.

It's the nature of the world we live in GE. People whinged about things before and when things change a different demographic of whingers comes to the fore. You cannot please everyone and it's almost pointless to try. The games administrators should be trying to improve the overall product and I sincerely believe that that is what they are attempting to do.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Points for the NRL in trying new things. The 40/20 was good, but I thought the 20/40 was a ridiculous introduction that only served to (theoretically) punish good defence. It was a moot point anyway.

A rule that allows points to be deducted by the VR after the ref awards them doesn't seem to be necessary. Just have a proper review system.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Like most of you, I think the previous system was better. But I'll say what I always say about refs; they have an impossibly difficult job, and the refs in the NRL are still much better than in SL. What I think shouldn't happen is the onfield ref awarding a try, and the VR looking for a reason to overturn it because he conceivably, possibly, just might, have lost it for a millisecond before grounding. I was never a big fan of the old "benefit of the doubt" rule, but there comes a point...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote: It’ll be fine once everyone gets used to it, and honestly, if it had’ve gone against the tigers twice instead of the raiders, the loudest opponents to the change would currently be trumpeting it from the rooftops
This is such a **** take.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

moto748 wrote: March 20, 2021, 10:55 am Like most of you, I think the previous system was better. But I'll say what I always say about refs; they have an impossibly difficult job, and the refs in the NRL are still much better than in SL. What I think shouldn't happen is the onfield ref awarding a try, and the VR looking for a reason to overturn it because he conceivably, possibly, just might, have lost it for a millisecond before grounding. I was never a big fan of the old "benefit of the doubt" rule, but there comes a point...
The Warriors had a shocking overrule decision from the VR the other night. Somehow the VR managed to see something that no other person was able to see in deciding that the ball didn't reach the tryline. Fortunately the Warriors scored in the ensuing set.

I dunno, I don't like the current system and I particularly don't like to see the VR overreach their role and overturn 50:50 calls.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
The Nickman wrote: It’ll be fine once everyone gets used to it, and honestly, if it had’ve gone against the tigers twice instead of the raiders, the loudest opponents to the change would currently be trumpeting it from the rooftops
This is such a **** take.
Here’s one now!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2021 Rd 1 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Absolute crap. Accuse people of hypotheticals that don’t even make sense given the reasons people didn’t like the new ruling. I’m not even overly fussed on it.

Just you being a wanker as usual
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
moto748 wrote: March 20, 2021, 10:55 am
...and I particularly don't like to see the VR overreach their role and overturn 50:50 calls.
This is the thing I’ve been banging on the most about over the years, the video ref system is fine, they just need to stop **** overruling 50/50 calls!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:Absolute crap. Accuse people of hypotheticals that don’t even make sense given the reasons people didn’t like the new ruling. I’m not even overly fussed on it.

Just you being a wanker as usual
You are.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
...and I particularly don't like to see the VR overreach their role and overturn 50:50 calls.
This is the thing I’ve been banging on the most about over the years, the video ref system is fine, they just need to stop **** overruling 50/50 calls!
Check the thing the ref wants checked.. that's it.

Don't need to check the touch line, obstruction, grounding, what the ref had for breakfast

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
Check the thing the ref wants checked.. that's it.

Don't need to check the touch line, obstruction, grounding, what the ref had for breakfast

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I don’t mind them checking the whole play, but just... don’t... overrule... 50... 50s!

It’s not rocket surgery!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I agree with you on that...

Ugh
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:I agree with you on that...

Ugh Image
No I didn’t