Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Sunday March 21 6:15pm
Kogarah Jubilee Stadium
Gates open: 3:30pm
Jersey Flegg: Sharks V Thunderbolts, 3:50pm
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Tickets: Click here
Weather: Rain periods, possibly heavy. Windy. Overcast. Very high chance of rain, possibly heavy. Winds east to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h, reaching 45 km/h near the coast. Chance of any rain: 95 per cent. Min 19 Max 22

The Canberra Raiders travel to Kogarah for a meeting with the Sharks in Round 2, hoping to build on a good start to the 2021 season.

Last round: 2021 Round 1. Canberra Raiders 30 - Wests Tigers 12. The final score line was convincing, a five tries to two victory for the Green Machine. The Raiders were expected to win well, and they did in the end. In the first half, the Raiders lacked composure and patience in attack. Too often they tried for the miracle kick, the miracle off load. And the Tigers certainly scrapped in defence. The Tigers deservedly went to the break with the scores level, at six apiece. But the Raiders re-grouped at half time, and were clearly a class above in the second half.

More on Round 1: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named an unchanged line up from the one that defeated the Tigers in Round 1. Co-captain Jarrod Croker (shoulder) is now expected to return in either Round 3 or 4. Forward Corey Horsburgh was available for this match after serving a one week suspension, but has not been included in the top squad.

Sharks centre Jesse Ramien has been suspended for three matches, after being charged with a reckless high tackle on Matt Dufty in Round 1. He's been replaced by Hawene Hiroti. Coach John Morris has otherwise left his top 17 unchanged. Forwards Royce Hunt (knee) and Siosifa Talakai (shoulder) will now not return until Round 3.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Tom Starling and Emre Guler from their squad on Saturday evening, with Sam Williams and Harley Smith-Shields remaining on the reserves list. Andrew Fifita and Braydon Trindall were cut from the Sharks' squad.

History: The Raiders have won 37 of 78 matches against the Cronulla Sharks, for a 47 per cent win rate. Canberra has won six of the past 10 clashes between the clubs - and the past four straight. In 2019, the Raiders had a hard fought 22-20 win at Canberra Stadium in Round 14 - after leading 20-8 at half time. Then in Round 24, the Raiders won, 15-14, at Shark Park in golden point - with Aidan Sezer kicking three field goals. That spoiled the party for Paul Gallen's final home game for the Sharks. Last year, a "Rookie Raiders" team defeated the Sharks, 38-28, at Jubilee Stadium, after coach Ricky Stuart rested a host of his stars in the final round of the regular season. That's the only game the clubs have ever played at Kogarah to date. The two teams met again in Week 1 of the finals, with a full strength Raiders winning 32-20 at Canberra Stadium.

2020 Finals Week 1 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2020 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

Form: Raiders: WWWLW
Sharks: WLLLW

The Sharks finished the 2020 season on a three game losing streak - two at the hands of the Raiders - but opened 2021 with a 32-18 win over the Dragons at Kogarah. The Raiders have won four of their past five games, the only loss coming in the 2020 Preliminary Final against the Storm.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.50 favourites, while the Sharks are paying $2.60. The Sharks have 4.5 points start in the line betting. The Sharks odds have shortened over the week.

Stat attack:

2021 Season record: Raiders 1 and 0 (3rd, +18)
Sharks 1 and 0 (5th, +14)

Attack: Raiders 30 points and 5 tries scored per match, ranked equal 2nd on tries scored
Sharks 32 points and 5 tries scored per match, ranked equal 2nd on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 12 points and 2 tries conceded per match, ranked 4th on fewest points conceded
Sharks 24 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked equal 7th on fewest points conceded

Possession: Raiders 47 per cent, Sharks 56 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 68 per cent, Sharks 88 per cent

Running: Raiders 1524 running metres from 167 runs (14 dummy half runs), 148 kick return metres, 591 post contact metres per match
Sharks 1550 running metres from 181 runs (10 dummy half runs), 214 kick return metres, 659 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 35, Sharks 42 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 5, Sharks 2 per match

Try assists: Raiders 5, Sharks 4 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Sharks 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 6, Sharks 4 per match

Kicking: Raiders 468 kicking metres from 17 kicks per match
Sharks 811 kicking metres from 28 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 332 made, 29 missed, 19 ineffective per match, 87 per cent tackle efficiency
Sharks 267 made, 34 missed, 14 ineffective per match, 85 per cent tackle efficiency

Errors: Raiders 14, Sharks 5 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 5, Sharks 1 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 6, Sharks 3 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 7, Sharks 3 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 3, Sharks 0 per match

Key match-ups:

Jack Wighton and Matt Moylan Jack Wighton was the Dally M Player of the Year and Five Eighth of the Year in 2020 - but by his standards, he had a relatively quiet game for the Raiders in Round 1. Matt Moylan has struggled to settle at the Sharks since transferring from the Panthers in 2018. He played his first season at Cronulla at five eighth, before moving to fullback in 2019. However, he's only played 19 games over the past two seasons, mostly due to hamstring problems. With Shaun Johnson (Achilles) out injured for the first six weeks or so, Moylan has started 2021 at five eighth - and the 29 year old made a good impression. But this match-up is a hands down win for Wighton.

George Williams and Chad Townsend George Williams has had a great first season in the NRL. He scored seven tries for the Green Machine, while producing 15 try assists, 19 line drop outs and an average of 232 kicking metres. His short kicking game was outstanding, with many of his try assists coming from cross field kicks to the try line. Sharks half Chad Townsend scored one try in 12 games last year - and posted nine try assists, seven forced line drop outs and 188 kicking metres per game. Both halfbacks had strong games in Round 1 - delivering two try assists for their teams. It'll be a tough battle, but taking account of Williams' stronger defence, Prince George takes this match-up.

Hudson Young and Wade Graham This match-up is a battle between a young bull and an old bull. Hudson Young took over John Bateman's vacant second row spot in Round 1 and made it his own. He's had his problems with on field discipline, but that's now well behind the 22 year old - who has just re-signed with the Raiders to the end of 2024. If Young wasn't the man of the match last Sunday afternoon, he was awfully close. Wade Graham is getting close to "veteran" status. The 30 year old is set to play his 250th first grade game in this match - so he might bring out something special for this one. Should be a great contest.

Joseph Tapine and Toby Rudolf Joe Tapine was in career best form in the second half of 2020 - and he started 2021 right where he left off. He's such a powerful runner, and it was great to see him break a tackle to set up Jordan Rapana for his second last Sunday. Toby Rudolf, 25, made his NRL debut in Round 1 last year with the Sharks, and went on to make 20 appearances. He's found himself in hot water with the NRL for some sexist comments after Sunday night's game - but I doubt Rudolf will be thinking about that by next Sunday. He's going to be a handful, standing at 190 cms and weighing in at 106 kgs. But Tapine takes this match-up, without a doubt.

Our tip: The Raiders are stronger than the Sharks on paper. But games aren't played on paper, as we were reminded in the first half of the Raiders' clash with the Tigers. For a long time, the Raiders struggled to beat the Sharks in Sydney. Shark Park was definitely a bogey ground, even during the Raiders' golden days of the 1990s. But in the past decade, the Raiders have won seven of the past 10 games these two clubs have played in Sydney. In a twist, the Sharks' fortunes turned at Canberra Stadium, winning six in a row between 2013 and 2018. The Sharks are a team that like to get into a bit of a scrap, and the Raiders can find that difficult to handle. But the Sharks are not the team they were when they won the 2016 Grand Final. And this game is not being played at Shark Park. The Raiders should be too strong. Raiders by 10.

What they're saying:

Josh Hodgson on the win over the Tigers: "Round 1 we certainly need to be better than that, but you just take the win whenever you can get them - especially at the start of the year when you just need to get points in the bag. The silver lining from the first half was our defence. We put ourselves under some really unnecessary pressure, but we backed it up with some great efforts."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan James

18. Sam Williams
21. Harley Smith-Shields

Injury/Suspension

Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Rd 3-4)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Suspended (Rd 3)

Cronulla Sharks

1. Will Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Josh Dugan
4. Mawene Hiroti
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Matt Moylan
7. Chad Townsend
8. Braden Hamlin-Uele
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Aaron Woods
11. Briton Nikora
12. Wade Graham
13. Toby Rudolf

14. Connor Tracey
15. Aiden Tolman
16. Jack Williams
17. Billy Magoulias

18. Nene Macdonald
19. Teig Wilton

Injury/Suspension

Royce Hunt, Knee (Rd 3)
Siosifa Talakai, Shoulder (Rd 3)
Jesse Ramien, Suspended (Rd 5)
Shaun Johnson, Achilles (Rd 7-8)
Jack A Williams, Throat (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Chris Sutton
Touch judges: Matt Noyen, Dave Munro
Video referee: Chris Butler

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Junior Representatives teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLSharksRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Rd 2 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Updated game day preview.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I hate Sunday Raiders games*

* grand final excluded
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

6.15 Sunday is such a **** timeslot

As its purely for tv, just put it on Monday and be done with it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If anyone has any suggestions for the Game Day preview, please post them or PM me. Things you want or don’t want. I’m in the early stages of settling the format for the season, so please let me know.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How do you feel about more 'segments'?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: March 16, 2021, 9:34 pm How do you feel about more 'segments'?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
That wasn’t the question... but to answer yours...

If they’re football related, they go in the Canberra Raiders board, otherwise they go in the Lime Lounge. That’s why we have created the different boards... since the very start of the site. If people want to write more Canberra Raiders related columns... things related to the footy... go for it!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ok boomer
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

For those who like their match program, our friends at League Unlimited have once again come up with the goods since the demise of Big League...

https://leagueunlimited.com/assets/Uplo ... 1615955944
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Surely common sense prevails and Ricky picks a fast and slippery Starling instead of havili
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Anyone know which hotel the players are at?
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Tweakers!

Go Za Vaiderz!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Looks like it will be a wet one! Fortunately we have the pack to take advantage. Hold the ball, make metres and capitalise on errors.

Need a good long and short kicking game from our halves too!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

radicalraider wrote: March 20, 2021, 5:06 pm Surely common sense prevails and Ricky picks a fast and slippery Starling instead of havili
I'd say the wet and mud takes your speed men out of it and go for the bloke who'll win the collision and churn out some tough yards in the wet.

And I'm normally in the "Starling #14" camp.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

This rain won't stop me from heading to kogorah
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Game day you pack of soggy biscuits!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

BadnMean wrote: March 21, 2021, 7:54 am
radicalraider wrote: March 20, 2021, 5:06 pm Surely common sense prevails and Ricky picks a fast and slippery Starling instead of havili
I'd say the wet and mud takes your speed men out of it and go for the bloke who'll win the collision and churn out some tough yards in the wet.

Did you watch Cook yesterday though? His speed at dummy half just tore Manly to shreds
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Manly are pretty **** defensively though

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

-TW- wrote: March 16, 2021, 9:13 pm 6.15 Sunday is such a **** timeslot

My sentiments exactly.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

GreenMachine wrote: March 21, 2021, 9:10 am
-TW- wrote: March 16, 2021, 9:13 pm 6.15 Sunday is such a **** timeslot

My sentiments exactly.
I think everyone has forgotten, it is often bloody hot this time of year. When they did the fixture, they failed to plan that there would be rain of biblical proportions this weekend rather than 30+ degrees at 2pm. That is why they moved the games to 6.15 in March.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's a 6.15/6.30 sunday game most rounds bar origin.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 21, 2021, 10:02 am There's a 6.15/6.30 sunday game most rounds bar origin.

They stop after round 5 with the exception of ANZAC Day.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders666 wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:44 am

Did you watch Cook yesterday though? His speed at dummy half just tore Manly to shreds
Nah I missed it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forecast for this afternoon and this evening at Cronulla.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

BadnMean wrote: March 21, 2021, 12:17 pm
Raiders666 wrote: March 21, 2021, 8:44 am

Nah I missed it.
I suspect that Cook's performance (didn't see it) has more to do with the year that Manly look likely to have than the value of a quick player on a heavy wet track.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

GWillys short and long kicking game needs to be spot on today.

I’m fairly confident it will be.

Hold the ball and tackle ya arses off boys..I love youse all.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Cook does that kind of thing in both wet and dry conditions.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I thought our kicking game in round 1 was poor.
Looking for improvement today.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Judging by the instagram posts, we're wearing the ugly "home" jersey today. I guess we'll see how it goes in the rain.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of this evening's Round 2 NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Cronulla Sharks. We will have live scores from 6:15pm right here... and we'd encourage posters to join in with their own commentary and discussion points as the match unfolds.

Both teams are 1-17. Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan James

Cronulla Sharks

1. Will Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Josh Dugan
4. Mawene Hiroti
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Matt Moylan
7. Chad Townsend
8. Braden Hamlin-Uele
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Aaron Woods
11. Briton Nikora
12. Wade Graham
13. Toby Rudolf

14. Connor Tracey
15. Aiden Tolman
16. Jack Williams
17. Billy Magoulias
Last edited by The Greenhouse on March 21, 2021, 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Tipping a big game for Curtis Scott.

Playing against his junior club, on the back of good moments last week and for the fact he's due.

A few sneaky right hooks onto Chad Townsend would be appreciated too.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

How good is BJ going
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »