No votes

Total votes: 9

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2020 Rd 2 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: March 18, 2021, 6:21 am
-PJ- wrote:I want Saturday’s..3pm or 5.30pm.
**** that, that’s smack back in the middle of my optimum drinking session at the pub
Oh I’m sorry.

I totally forgot the earth revolves around you.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: March 18, 2021, 9:58 am
**** that, that’s smack back in the middle of my optimum drinking session at the pub
Oh I’m sorry.

Wot. I'm not allowed to have a preference but you are?

Rightio then.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
Oh I’m sorry.

Rightio then.
back in your box postbot

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Might as well. The world revolves around my box... apparently.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: March 18, 2021, 7:24 am
greeneyed wrote: March 17, 2021, 9:04 pm Hits and myths: The bargain buys giving their all — and the expensive flops killing their clubs

Bargain buys: Hudson Young (Canberra Raiders): Still very much only a young gun on the rise, the Raiders look to have unearthed a quality right edge forward in this bloke. Was on a cut-price deal last year but has just been upgraded to a new deal for this year through until the end of 2024. Currently on a contract worth around $280,000.

Price is right: Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders): Around $950,000 this year.
Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders): Around the $700,000 a season mark.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3b0ac939b
Getting pretty good value on Papa, considering he's in the quality bracket of guys asking nearer 1 mill per season.
Jack has been delivering and it's probably what we had to come up with to keep him.
I'd say Young's contract is about right at the moment. He's on the rise but needs to put a full season together and find his best position before he's worth big dollars.
Yeah, that Papalii deal has aged well. Good roster managers don't fork out megabucks for middles - so a match winning front rower under $750k is good value.

Wighton's deal seems about right. He can be a bit inconsistent, but unlike guys such as Hunt and Moses, Jackyboi steps up when it matters most.

I think Hodgo is great value too...and Williams would be on a bargain deal for us.

To that extent, I think the squad largely benefits from Bateman's departure. Paying megabucks for edge players is crazy IMO. Hudson Young and CHN must surely be on less combined in comparison to what Bateman was asking.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: March 18, 2021, 10:33 am
Oh I’m sorry.

Rightio then.
Well, you’re at the pub, on the cans. I’m guessing there’s a television there right ? Footy probably showing.

What’s the issue here ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Nickman's problem is that his "friends" that he is so desperate to spend every weekend with are complete ***** and he can't enjoy watching the footy with them so has to go home to watch the footy and then back to the pub.

From my perspective timeslots are the least of the problem here but what would I know?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote:
Sid wrote:I dislike the first Friday night timeslot, especially at this time of the year with the current time difference. Game starts at 4:30 here, so I don't get home from work until the 2nd half

All I am seeing from this is that you need to knock of work earlier? Maybe just cut away after Friday lunch beers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My answer to Raiders games in that time slot last year was to open my top draw slightly, have the phone in there screen facing up and headphones hooked to it. It won zero points for subtlety but I got to watch Raiders.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fitness data the same despite new NRL rules

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says the Green Machine's Round 1 GPS data was similar to last year - despite the introduction of the NRL's new rules designed to speed up the game.

"The new rules haven't shown from a data point of view too much of a difference to last year," Stuart said. "I'm doing some comparisons, but I want to have a month of football to do that. But I don't see a huge difference - and I'm only talking about our game, it's the only game I can talk about - I don't see too much of a difference in regards to the speed of it or the time of play."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders' pine performance enhanced by depth

Ricky Stuart knows his bench can come on and change the game. And the Canberra Raiders coach also knows competition for spots will only enhance that.

"I think the players on the bench, especially our middles, probably saved us in the first half," he said.

VIDEO: Wet weather, new rules, and an unchanged squad: Ricky Stuart spoke to the media ahead of Sunday's match against the Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... ged-squad/

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Sharks: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34510

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-sharks/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote: March 18, 2021, 1:30 pm Nickman's problem is that his "friends" that he is so desperate to spend every weekend with are complete **** and he can't enjoy watching the footy with them so has to go home to watch the footy and then back to the pub.

From my perspective timeslots are the least of the problem here but what would I know?
Look, you're not entirely wrong here, pick... I don't really like watching Raiders games at the pub, never really have, unless I'm with a big group of Raiders mates, and even then you miss half the game.

Also, my wife is a mad raiders fan too, so I prefer watching the game with her and she prefers not to be at the pub.

Sundays just work for us, if it's a Saturday I go to the pub a few hours, go home for the game and then go back to the pub.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Gee grounds are going to be wet this weekend. I have been in Sydney all day and it has been bucketing down. Friday and Saturday are expected to be worse. Could be up to 120mm on Saturday. That is almost five inches.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: VIDEO: Wet weather, new rules, and an unchanged squad: Ricky Stuart spoke to the media ahead of Sunday's match against the Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... ged-squad/
Pretty clear message from the coach about Croker coming straight back in for Kris when he is good to go in 1-2 weeks.

Also some interesting comments about the speed of our games not being impacted a great deal by the rule changes.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Hudson Young has a decent try strike rate. He has scored 5 tries in his last 10 games, or 6 in the last 11 if you include the trial.

Last edited by Sid on March 18, 2021, 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: VIDEO: Wet weather, new rules, and an unchanged squad: Ricky Stuart spoke to the media ahead of Sunday's match against the Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... ged-squad/
Pretty clear message from the coach about Croker coming straight back in for Kris when he is good to go in 1-2 weeks.

Also some interesting comments about the speed of our games not being impacted a great deal by the rule changes.
I don't know why anyone would think Croker wouldn't come straight back into the side. That centre spot is his.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Nickman wrote:
pickles wrote: March 18, 2021, 1:30 pm Nickman's problem is that his "friends" that he is so desperate to spend every weekend with are complete **** and he can't enjoy watching the footy with them so has to go home to watch the footy and then back to the pub.

Look, you're not entirely wrong here, pick... I don't really like watching Raiders games at the pub, never really have, unless I'm with a big group of Raiders mates, and even then you miss half the game.

Also, my wife is a mad raiders fan too, so I prefer watching the game with her and she prefers not to be at the pub.

Sundays just work for us, if it's a Saturday I go to the pub a few hours, go home for the game and then go back to the pub.
I hate the Sunday night slot, it’s right over dinner and getting the kids to bed time.

Sunday arvo at 4 is much better!

I guess you can’t please everyone!
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Meanwhile, on team news, I don't know how many of you noticed the remarks on media that people barely noticed Bailey Simonsson going off the field. I did because it was right in front of me (yes, I know, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES!). The point was that from the far side of the field, Jordan Rapana was running over trying to get instructions as to how to deal with it, and Elliot Whitehead was kind of trailing up waiting for the news to be relayed to him. Jordy ran over and then backed up maybe 3 or 4 times before they gave up and just assumed that Curtis was covering the right wing and Hudson Young was effectively the centre. I have no idea whether they got any message from the sideline. Thank the four asterisks that Bailey was back on after about 3 minutes, and it didn't have any material effect.

But it could have. Stuart's bench is bloody risky and I don't like it. That is all.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Lui_Bon wrote:Meanwhile, on team news, I don't know how many of you noticed the remarks on media that people barely noticed Bailey Simonsson going off the field. I did because it was right in front of me (yes, I know, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES!). The point was that from the far side of the field, Jordan Rapana was running over trying to get instructions as to how to deal with it, and Elliot Whitehead was kind of trailing up waiting for the news to be relayed to him. Jordy ran over and then backed up maybe 3 or 4 times before they gave up and just assumed that Curtis was covering the right wing and Hudson Young was effectively the centre. I have no idea whether they got any message from the sideline. Thank the four asterisks that Bailey was back on after about 3 minutes, and it didn't have any material effect.

But it could have. Stuart's bench is bloody risky and I don't like it. That is all.
True. But don’t dare mention that we play Kris on the bench when Croker returns. You will be shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

The Nickman wrote: March 18, 2021, 10:52 am Might as well. The world revolves around my box... apparently.
I knew a girl like that, once...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I hate the Sunday night slot, it’s right over dinner and getting the kids to bed time.

Well I guess the world revolves around you then
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 19, 2021, 5:22 am
pickles wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Well I guess the world revolves around you then
You only just got that memo then.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: No spots are guaranteed

Canberra Raiders Head Coach Ricky Stuart believes having a squad that can rotate at any time “is the way it should be at this level” as the Raiders prepare to take on the Cronulla Sharks in round two.

“One thing which is comforting is there’s no player in the squad that can relax,” Stuart said.“If you make the NRL team for the weekend and don’t perform or you relax in your preparation, there’s going to be someone banging on the door wanting your spot.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... uaranteed/

What's in a name: Preserving culture and exploring heritage

When hearing the commentators saying the names of Josh Papalii and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, the question on everyone’s lips was clear. Why did they change their names? For Papalii and Nicoll-Klokstad the reason for the change is very different but equally important.

“A lot of people have asked me why I’ve changed my last name,” Papalii said. “But it’s not changed, just said properly.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -heritage/

Training Gallery: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-sharks/

VIDEO: Sharks v Raiders preview: Sharks captain Wade Graham will achieve the milestone of 250 NRL games when his side hosts Canberra Raiders at Jubilee Stadium. Jamie Soward previews the game: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/19/sha ... --round-2/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The current weather and the forecast for Sydney looks horrendous.

Theoretically I think this suits our style. Strong rotation of middles who have decent footwork, good running halves and both Wighton and Williams have the ability to put pressure on their back 3 with their kicking games. Hodgson's quickness out of dummy half will be important. We also don't rely on speed or a deep structure in attack.

We just need to stick to the basics, which I think we do better than most other teams.

All things being equal I think the coach will be extremely disappointed if we lose this one.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad doing it for his boys

Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is making the most of his football career so he can provide as best as he can for his sons Kyrie and Rio in New Zealand.

"They're my why, they're the reason why I play the game. For me it's about stepping back and looking at the bigger picture," Nicoll-Klokstad said. "Playing rugby league offers me opportunities that most other careers can't... making sure that benefits my kids as much as possible."

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson joins RLPA player advisory group

Josh Hodgson will join the RLPA Player Advisory Group (NRL), along with Michael Morgan, Alex Glenn and Moses Mbye. RLPA Director and Canberra Raiders forward Soliola welcomed the four new players to the PAG.

"It’s great to have Alex, Moses, Josh and Michael officially join the PAG," Soliola said. "I know they all stepped up throughout last year as RLPA delegates and it’s great to see them transition into this important role."

"I know firsthand that the views and opinions shared in this forum help guide the direction of the RLPA team and are often brought forward to the Board to assist with decisions we make."

"I think the other important advantage of the PAG is that it provides us players with the opportunity to further develop as leaders and learn more about certain areas of the game."

Read more: https://www.rlpa.com.au/four-new-additi ... ory-group/

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Terry Campese to take part in charity fight night at the Hellenic Club on May 1 to raise funds for Capital Region Muscular Dystrophy and The Terry Campese Foundation: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 19, 2021, 3:50 pm The current weather and the forecast for Sydney looks horrendous.

Theoretically I think this suits our style. Strong rotation of middles who have decent footwork, good running halves and both Wighton and Williams have the ability to put pressure on their back 3 with their kicking games. Hodgson's quickness out of dummy half will be important. We also don't rely on speed or a deep structure in attack.

We just need to stick to the basics, which I think we do better than most other teams.

All things being equal I think the coach will be extremely disappointed if we lose this one.
I know it's a cliche but I think our English contingent play great in the wet generally. The forwards rip in and win the collision which is huge and Williams has a great kicking game for a soggy in goal.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Honestly, we're going to ****ing drown if we get on at all.

The W-League/A-League were supposed to be playing a double-header at Kogarah today and it just got cancelled because of the conditions. That's 24 hours out and I do not like our chances. Even Bankwest with its fancy modern drainage looks like it's going to struggle to get away.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Professional rugby league doesn't get cancelled cause it's too wet

Other than when Brisbane flooded

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:Professional rugby league doesn't get cancelled cause it's too wet

Travelling gets hard though, since planes don’t fly in the rain
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Was pretty close to doing GA on the hill earlier in the week because it's just a bit of water and she'll be right.

Glad I decided to treat myself to a grandstand roof after witnessing the deluge today. Haven't seen rain like this in years.
Up The Milk
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Planes don't fly in thunderstorms - just regular rain won't stop them.
Also there is this fantastic invention called the automobile which can transport in the rain if need be

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:08 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 19, 2021, 3:50 pm The current weather and the forecast for Sydney looks horrendous.

I know it's a cliche but I think our English contingent play great in the wet generally. The forwards rip in and win the collision which is huge and Williams has a great kicking game for a soggy in goal.
Elliott Whitehead was **** born to play in the wet. Marge's time to shine.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Raider Azz wrote: March 20, 2021, 3:24 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Also there is this fantastic invention called the automobile which can transport in the rain if need be

Christ, the dubby here
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

afgtnk wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: March 20, 2021, 3:24 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Christ, the dubby here
You need to find a more productive use of your time

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

....... says the guy responding within a minute.

Jog on.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

afgtnk wrote:....... says the guy responding within a minute.

Jog on.
You wanna go down this path again after you got completely owned last time? You practically live here you **** loser