Canberra Raiders commit to Wagga Wagga game in 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wagga Wagga City Council and Canberra Raiders today shored up their long-term partnership and confirmed another National Rugby League premiership game will be played in the city next year.

Raiders’ chief executive officer Don Furner and Mayor of the City of Wagga Wagga Cr Greg Conkey OAM also announced ticket sales for this year’s game will go on sale to Raiders and Knights members from 9am tomorrow, Friday 19 March. Tickets for the general public will be on sale from 9am Saturday 20 March.

The Raiders will play Newcastle Knights at McDonald’s Park on Saturday, 8 May 2021 with ticket sales for the much-anticipated match available for purchase online through Ticketek.

Cr Conkey confirmed the ground capacity for this COVID-safe event is currently capped at 6,495 people. This number may change closer to game day if restrictions are altered.

“This is an extraordinary coup for the city … to see the Green Machine rolling back into Wagga Wagga this year, and now secured for next year as well, is a great thrill for us all,” Cr Conkey said.

“Our city’s relationship with the Raiders continues to grow and strengthen which means Wagga Wagga, indeed the entire region, will once again be the big winners when top class rugby league lands on our doorstep.

“The benefits for rugby league and sports fans across the Riverina is just one component of this deal. There are major flow-on effects for local businesses who can capitalise on these major events which bring more people into the city.”

Cr Conkey said the Raiders’ continued commitment to Wagga Wagga showed there was a genuine partnership between the club and the city which had the potential to grow over many more years.

“We had to make the very tough decision not to play last year’s game in Wagga Wagga due to the pandemic, and that decision was supported by the Raiders who have never faltered in their support and commitment to us,” Cr Conkey said.

“They’re back this year and to commit to 2022 speaks volumes for the club and I want to personally thank CEO Don Furner and his team for recognising how important it is to have these games brought to the regions.”

Mr Furner said the Raiders value their partnership with Wagga Wagga and welcomed the opportunity to play another game at McDonald’s Park in 2022.

“The facilities in Wagga are fantastic and keep getting better with the help of a very committed rugby league community in the city,” Mr Furner said.

“We value a very strong supporter base in the Riverina and it’s not a hard decision for us to commit to the Wagga game because everyone there wants to make it happen and can’t do enough for our club, which is very much appreciated.

“We’ve had a great start to the new season and hopefully we can build on that form and put on a terrific game against the Knights for all of our Riverina supporters. I’d urge everyone to get in early to secure their tickets as demand will be high.”

Kick-off for the NRL match is 3pm, with a NSW Cup curtain raiser between the Raiders and Knights starting at 12.40pm.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders extend Wagga Wagga deal: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Conkey and Furner on Wagga announcement: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... nd-furner/
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Canberra Raiders commit to Wagga Wagga game in 2022

Post by simo »

will ge be reimbursed 1/13th of his membership fee for this?
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can't say I'm at all happy. The spectator facilities at Wagga are not up to standard for hosting an NRL match. We also lose a home game, with Canberra not over-served for rugby league. A smaller crowd is likely, with fans who attend home games in Canberra disenfranchised. With current COVID regulations, the cap on attendance is 6495, but even with 100 per cent capacity, a smaller crowd is highly likely. In the best of times, the Raiders fans already face a significantly higher travel burden or barrier. Not to mention the effective price increase now embedded in memberships. I've said all that before, of course... no less true now.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

why play the knights at wagga wagga and not someone like the cowboys or warriors? Newcastle always bring big travelling support so this will just hurt the clubs average attendance and income.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2021, 2:05 pm Can't say I'm at all happy.
This is what I came here for.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: March 18, 2021, 2:01 pm will ge be reimbursed 1/13th of his membership fee for this?
Not to mention having all the steam that just came out his ears replaced!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: March 18, 2021, 3:27 pm
Haha I think we all did, old friend.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Soon as I saw this my first thought was a cranky GE. I’m not disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

You would have to think we are genuinely starting to rebuild the reputation of our club in that area, especially with a new generation of fans.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

When the NRL force the Brisbane Broncos (along with every other club) to take a home game to a country or non traditional State venue, and no longer effectively give them an extra home game in Magic Round... let me know, and I might reconsider my position. I’ll reflect on it in a considered fashion, as always.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yes, more clubs should do this as a matter of course.

Brisbane getting an extra home game is a different issue, and a complete rort.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2021, 5:33 pm Yes, more clubs should do this as a matter of course.

It’s either an NRL policy, evenly enforced on all the clubs... level playing field... or it’s not. And if not the NRL should once again be judged for favouring some clubs over others. At the moment, they are heavying some clubs to take games to country venues, but not others, and it’s wrong.

Magic Round isn’t magic and should be abandoned. But if it stays, every club gives up a home game every second year. Genuinely gives up a home game every second year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2021, 5:36 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2021, 5:33 pm Yes, more clubs should do this as a matter of course.

It’s either an NRL policy, evenly enforced on all the clubs... level playing field... or it’s not. And if not the NRL should once again be judged for favouring some clubs over others.

Magic Round isn’t magic and should be abandoned. But if it stays, every club gives up a home game every second year. Genuinely gives up a home game every second year.
I personally think the NRL should give all clubs financial assistance to take games to the bush to promote the code against rival sports. It's an advantage we could hold against AFL and Union for example.

In saying that, I still think the club itself should maintain control of playing its home games where and when it likes. We obviously choose to take our home games to the Riverina for development reasons. Until an NRL draft returns, I think this is a pretty sensible move by the club, especially with a new Brisbane team on its way.

I get the point about members getting less value from their membership though. There should be consideration for that.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
afgtnk wrote: March 18, 2021, 3:27 pm
Haha I think we all did, old friend.
Like sands through the hourglass

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

If Magic Round was held at Bruce, would you go?

I wouldn't. Except for our game.

If the Warriors got a vast number of away games next season scheduled as home games across New Zealand for various Australian teams, would you be happy? I would.
On the proviso that they weren't Australian teams that had already played "regional" matches. Especially given that the Raiders are already pretty damn '"regional".

Let Souths and the Rooters and the Boncos give up a home game...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Lui_Bon wrote:If Magic Round was held at Bruce, would you go?

I wouldn't. Except for our game.

If the Warriors got a vast number of away games next season scheduled as home games across New Zealand for various Australian teams, would you be happy? I would.
On the proviso that they weren't Australian teams that had already played "regional" matches. Especially given that the Raiders are already pretty damn '"regional".

Let Souths and the Rooters and the Boncos give up a home game...
Well I’m going to Magic Round this year for my Bucks Weekend and at this stage it looks like I’ll only attend the Saturday games (when the raiders play) even though I have tickets for all eight games, and I may even only go to our game and **** off back to the pub after

And I might even just watch our game from a bar somewhere
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Do we realise it is clubs choosing to do this, not the NRL making them?

The NRL is encouraging clubs to take the games to the country venues but I am not aware of anyone being made to. The Raiders are taking a game to Wagga because there is a financial incentive to do so (courtesy of the Wagga council - which seems to outweigh the loss of revenue from the ACT government) and supposedly so they can take a game to a new market and hopefully generate more fans and subsequent revenue. I do question how effective that is in our case. It is also frustrating because as fans we do an enormous amount of travel anyway. I also think there are a number of country NSW venues that have far better facilities than the ground in Wagga.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

On the subject of Magic Round, again the clubs playing home games are choosing to do so. My understanding is they are paid about $200k each to do so. In 2019, Titans, Tigers, Manly, Bulldogs, Storm, Warriors, Roosters and Souths chose to take up that opportunity. Those 8 teams were going to be the home teams in 2020 and in 2021 the only change is Cronulla have replaced Souths.

A lot is made of the Broncos being away for Magic Round, but the reality is The Queensland Government, putting up much of the funding for the weekend, are doing so because they want more content in Brisbane. They are not going to give up a Broncos home game, this is an extra. It also follows the last few years where Manly sold their home game against the Broncos to Brisbane so nothing has changed.

Personally I love the concept of Magic Round. As a fan of the sport, I can’t think of anything better than being able to go to all 8 games on a weekend. In 2019, I could only go on the Saturday/Sunday but really enjoyed it. I was planning to go to all 8 games in 2020 and will not miss a minute in 2021.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Honestly, the way some people carry on like pork chops about this makes me so ashamed-by-proxy of their selfishness. It also makes it so easy to see why so many rural people view city-dwellers as latte-sipping snobs who don't care about anyone other than themselves...

The Riverina is a traditional heartland for us - why shouldn't we go there? There are a lot of Raiders fans in rural areas for whom the trip to Canberra is too far and too expensive but a trip to Wagga is a much more realistic prospect. Why should they not have the opportunity to see our grand green machine in action? Why not go out and tour the schools, run clinics, turn little kids in the area into rugby league and Raiders fans?

I know my Raiders are a wonderful team. And I want everyone else to have that experience too. I am lucky, I live in Canberra, I can go to every home game. But I also remember living in Wagga when I was much younger, and knowing the Raiders were playing, but knowing we could never see them play. I've been that kid too. And what excitement my family would have had had the Raiders come to Wagga to play - we all would have gone.

So no, I don't mind that they are playing in Wagga again. Indeed, I'm even planning a trip - I haven't been back since we left when I was 12, and I wouldn't mind seeing the old haunts again. I certainly wouldn't even dream of asking for a discount or whatever kind of horrid thought others are having.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Good post Karen, but I think it is a bit rough to say it is horrid thoughts about a discount. This is a home game. We are all members. For the previous 30+ years for our club, membership included entry into our home games.

We have gone from 12 games in our membership to 11.

Having said that, I had purchased my tickets by 9.01.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

If anyone wants an overhead shot of McDonalds park to see where their tickets are, here you go.

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/wagga-equex-centre
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: March 19, 2021, 7:04 am On the subject of Magic Round, again the clubs playing home games are choosing to do so. My understanding is they are paid about $200k each to do so. In 2019, Titans, Tigers, Manly, Bulldogs, Storm, Warriors, Roosters and Souths chose to take up that opportunity. Those 8 teams were going to be the home teams in 2020 and in 2021 the only change is Cronulla have replaced Souths.

A lot is made of the Broncos being away for Magic Round, but the reality is The Queensland Government, putting up much of the funding for the weekend, are doing so because they want more content in Brisbane. They are not going to give up a Broncos home game, this is an extra. It also follows the last few years where Manly sold their home game against the Broncos to Brisbane so nothing has changed.

Personally I love the concept of Magic Round. As a fan of the sport, I can’t think of anything better than being able to go to all 8 games on a weekend. In 2019, I could only go on the Saturday/Sunday but really enjoyed it. I was planning to go to all 8 games in 2020 and will not miss a minute in 2021.
Personally, I think the Magic Round has lost a bit of its magic. A bit like the original NRL vs Indigenous All Stars game a few years back. Doesn't bother me a great deal either way. Good luck to whatever teams need the financial incentive to take one of their home games to Brisbane - especially if they are playing the Broncos that weekend.

At the end of the day, I don't really mind if the Raiders play one of their 12 home games in a regional centre each season. I think our season tickets are pretty good value for 11 home games, let alone 12. I just don't want them to ever take one of our home games to Brisbane for the Magic Round - especially if we are playing the Broncos that weekend. That serves zero purpose for our club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@raiderskater I’m very supportive of trial matches being taken to country venues and all the associated activities by the club. I’ve done a lot of trips to such games. I’ve argued in the past that the NRL should have a policy that requires that. However, I don’t think they’re suitable venues for NRL matches. I won’t repeat all the other points I’ve made.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

But why aren't they suitable venues?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:08 am But why aren't they suitable venues?
Most importantly they guarantee a smaller crowd, spectator facilities are poor, with limited seating and cover.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:57 amI won’t repeat all the other points I’ve made.
greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:15 am
Most importantly they guarantee a smaller crowd, spectator facilities are poor, with limited seating and cover.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Raiders should come to perth

We have a nice stadium and you can choose 20,000 or 60,000 seat :)

Tho the 60,000 seat is an oval :lol:
Perth Based Raiders Fan
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
And that wasn't an issue for the 10k people who attended in 2019

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

PerthRaider86 wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:46 am Raiders should come to perth

We have a nice stadium and you can choose 20,000 or 60,000 seat :)

Tho the 60,000 seat is an oval :lol:
As I am sure you are aware, the Raiders have been due to come to Perth the last two years but it has been cancelled.

It is interesting that the Dogs and the Storm are going to play at HBF Park in a couple of weeks but the Roosters didn’t want to take the chance with border closures.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:57 am
greeneyed wrote:

The point GE is making is that there would have been more than the 9k that attended in 2019 if it had been at Canberra stadium.

We have played at a number of country venues over the years - Bathurst, Mudgee, Dubbo I can remember going to. We were going to Tamworth last year. They all have better facilities than Wagga.

However, one point that Is not often brought up is that if we want local governments to spend money on rugby league facilities, we need to give them some top class content. Somewhere like the venue in Mudgee is a great country venue. I am sure the local council wouldn’t have spent the money if they were not going to get the odd NRL game.

That then benefits rugby league in the region. It is reasonable to say that rugby league is owned by all, not just those in the cities, even if for me it is better to be in major centres.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:44 am
Bay53 wrote: March 19, 2021, 7:04 am On the subject of Magic Round, again the clubs playing home games are choosing to do so. My understanding is they are paid about $200k each to do so. In 2019, Titans, Tigers, Manly, Bulldogs, Storm, Warriors, Roosters and Souths chose to take up that opportunity. Those 8 teams were going to be the home teams in 2020 and in 2021 the only change is Cronulla have replaced Souths.

Personally, I think the Magic Round has lost a bit of its magic. A bit like the original NRL vs Indigenous All Stars game a few years back. Doesn't bother me a great deal either way. Good luck to whatever teams need the financial incentive to take one of their home games to Brisbane - especially if they are playing the Broncos that weekend.

At the end of the day, I don't really mind if the Raiders play one of their 12 home games in a regional centre each season. I think our season tickets are pretty good value for 11 home games, let alone 12. I just don't want them to ever take one of our home games to Brisbane for the Magic Round - especially if we are playing the Broncos that weekend. That serves zero purpose for our club.
How can Magic Round have lost its magic?

It has happened once.

Personally I think Magic round could be even better. It should be a festival of rugby league. Every team should have an open training session the day before the game and there should be player appearances and various other activities.

You could even have things like getting all the people who voluntarily make social media content for the game. Has anyone ever tried to get them in a room? Maybe with some professionals??

It can easily be the best weekend of the year if done right.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Bay53 wrote: March 19, 2021, 10:27 am
-TW- wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:57 am
greeneyed wrote:

The point GE is making is that there would have been more than the 9k that attended in 2019 if it had been at Canberra stadium.

We have played at a number of country venues over the years - Bathurst, Mudgee, Dubbo I can remember going to. We were going to Tamworth last year. They all have better facilities than Wagga.

However, one point that Is not often brought up is that if we want local governments to spend money on rugby league facilities, we need to give them some top class content. Somewhere like the venue in Mudgee is a great country venue. I am sure the local council wouldn’t have spent the money if they were not going to get the odd NRL game.

That then benefits rugby league in the region. It is reasonable to say that rugby league is owned by all, not just those in the cities, even if for me it is better to be in major centres.
Well said. NSWRL's regional development efforts have seemed limited to encouraging sides to play a game in the country. I can only hope that they provide better support to their officers than they did in the past where a development officer might rock up with a bunch of footballs in the boot and some faded star power.

However, I can also see GE's point. Wagga isn't a great location and my experience of the town (via visits to friends and their families) is that it is more aligned towards Aussie Rules. At least Wagga City Council is paying the Raiders these days. Some years ago, there was a trial match between the Raiders and the Bulldogs that both sides funded themselves. Meanwhile, the Council paid for a GWS Giants trial as part of multi-year contract. Anyway, I'm happy for someone to update me on whether the town is still skewed more towards Rules than League.

Finally, this deal doesn't seem to feature any compensation for season ticket holders who have one less home game yet again. Let's not forget that the Warriors CEO specifically mentioned the Raiders as a side he'd spend $250K on to play their home game in NZ. So, next year, the season ticket could be devalued even further.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Part of the appeal for me in supporting the Raiders is that they represent Canberra and the Riverina, and my family heritage stems from both areas.

Taking games to Wagga is something I'm 100% supportive of and I'd like to see it continue.

Yes, the world revolves around me.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: March 19, 2021, 10:30 am
Seiffert82 wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:44 am

How can Magic Round have lost its magic?

It has happened once.

Personally I think Magic round could be even better. It should be a festival of rugby league. Every team should have an open training session the day before the game and there should be player appearances and various other activities.

You could even have things like getting all the people who voluntarily make social media content for the game. Has anyone ever tried to get them in a room? Maybe with some professionals??

It can easily be the best weekend of the year if done right.
Good for the novelty value. I don't really need to see it again - but I'm not the target audience I guess. Average crowds for NRL games in 2019 was about 15,000. Based on the 8 games in Brisbane that weekend, the average attendance per game was about 17,000. Nice for the people of Brisbane I guess. I dunno, I just prefer to take the games to different locations rather than jam 8 games into one city in a weekend.

It's not like the game needs extra promotion in Brisbane. What the NRL needs is a bit of competition up there for the Broncos.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I'm planning on going to magic round this year and may "get it" better after i go
But right now I can't see the magic, it's basically 8 games at the 1 venue, the same game that's played every weekend, same rules, same players. Ok we might get a band or something but thats not really that special and certainly isnt "magic"

There's no signing sessions with past players, mascot events ( races, or gladiator style events), no special things during the game etc
The players dont even enter the field in a magical way
Where is the "magic"?
Vaccinated