Sharks 13+
No votes

Total votes: 9

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 2 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by GreenMachine »

Anyone else hate this timeslot with a passion?
Can't stand being the last game of the round...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sundays are my absolute favourite gamedays, it sucks we get no more after this.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

GreenMachine wrote: March 17, 2021, 8:53 am Anyone else hate this timeslot with a passion?
Can't stand being the last game of the round...
No, not really to be honest. From a personal point of view if we had been at 6.15 rather than 4 last week I could have got back to Canberra for the game.

I think it makes sense that they avoid the 2pm Sunday games in March where it is often very hot. Doesn’t appear to be an issue this year but it is often 30+ degrees.

It isn’t ideal for driving back from Sydney at 8.30pm on a Sunday night but it is easier than Thursday games away and I think we have 2 or 3 of those in Sydney this year.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The Nickman wrote: March 17, 2021, 8:56 am Sundays are my absolute favourite gamedays, it sucks we get no more after this.
I had not realised we have no more Sunday games after this. I doubt that has ever happened.

Hopefully there is one more to come. On the Sunday night of the October long weekend sounds good.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Breakdown of timeslots after this week is as follows

Thursday - 5 (2 home 3 away)
Friday 6pm - 3 (2 home* 1 away *Wagga home)
Friday 7.55pm - 1 (away)
Sat 3pm - 4 (3 home 1 away)
Sat 5.30pm - 3 (1 home, 2 away)
Sat 7.35pm - 6 (3 home, 3 away)

So we only have 4 more games in the daylight.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

What's going with no back to back games at home this year?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

we should have 3 home games in a row in the lead up to the gf
Dont delete this GE
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Just never seen that before that's all...I generally come up to Canberra for 2 games but its not worth for me forq just the 1 game 😔
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looking at forecast it's almost certain to be wet conditions. I think that's OK given our style. Same for Sharks though. Might be a bit of a leveller.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forward thinking: Canberra Raiders middles to continue rotation suggestions

Raiders forward Ryan Sutton says the club's squadron of middle forwards will continue plotting potential rotations to suggest to coach Ricky Stuart after the policy was successfully trialled last year.

"That's something that Paps and Sia (Soliola) spoke about," Sutton said."Stick's got a lot on his mind as is so if us as middles can come and talk to each other about what we want to do on the day and what's best for the team I think that's good. I think you'll see a bit of a change throughout the year.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/17/for ... ggestions/

Sutton striving to improve

Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton believes he is continuing to develop after his key role from the bench in the victory over the Wests Tigers.

“I’m really happy with how it went,” Sutton said. “I think when you compare it to last year, I think it’s a big improvement for myself.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... o-improve/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

People scoffed at my suggestion of perhaps having Kris or Horsburgh rotate onto the bench for Sutton.. yet Sutton wants to rotate himself out for Darby Medlyn tomorrow!1!!

“I think this year, players like Darby Medlyn who are coming through the ranks… you could put them in tomorrow if you wanted to,” Sutton said. 

Lol, but It is interesting to read that the players have a fair bit of say between who is starting and who comes off the bench each game. I wonder if it is factors such as workload, impact bursts or player match ups that weigh most heavily in their decisions.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

please stop derailing every thread with your "kill ryan sutton" agenda
Dont delete this GE
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Raiders666 wrote: March 17, 2021, 9:37 am Just never seen that before that's all...I generally come up to Canberra for 2 games but its not worth for me forq just the 1 game 😔
I think it is just the luck of the draw to be honest. From the coaches point of view, avoiding back to back away games would be preferred, which therefore means rarely back to back home games.

We have back to back away games in Rounds 4 and 5 (Gold Coast and Penrith) with just a 6 day turnaround and 19 and 20 (Parramatta and Newcastle) with a much better 9 day turnaround.

We do have back to back home games in Rounds 8 and 9 but the Round 9 game is in Wagga.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Sid wrote: March 17, 2021, 10:44 am People scoffed at my suggestion of perhaps having Kris or Horsburgh rotate onto the bench for Sutton.. yet Sutton wants to rotate himself out for Darby Medlyn tomorrow!1!!

“I think this year, players like Darby Medlyn who are coming through the ranks… you could put them in tomorrow if you wanted to,” Sutton said. 

Lol, but It is interesting to read that the players have a fair bit of say between who is starting and who comes off the bench each game. I wonder if it is factors such as workload, impact bursts or player match ups that weigh most heavily in their decisions.
See this is where Sutton is smart. We put Medlyn into a first grade game tomorrow, then he is buggered for Sunday and can't take his place.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders duo appreciate extra pronunciation effort

Canberra Raiders teammates Josh Papalii and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad explain why they wanted the correct pronunciations for their names.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/17/rai ... on-effort/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Bay53 wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:01 pm
Sid wrote: March 17, 2021, 10:44 am People scoffed at my suggestion of perhaps having Kris or Horsburgh rotate onto the bench for Sutton.. yet Sutton wants to rotate himself out for Darby Medlyn tomorrow!1!!

See this is where Sutton is smart. We put Medlyn into a first grade game tomorrow, then he is buggered for Sunday and can't take his place.
That's a very good point. The short back up would be detrimental. Sort it out Sid.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

greeneyed wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:19 pm Canberra Raiders duo appreciate extra pronunciation effort

Canberra Raiders teammates Josh Papalii and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad explain why they wanted the correct pronunciations for their names.

Papalii's pronunciation of his own name sounded just like how everyone had previously said it :hmmm
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's obvious to me that all your deathriding has gotten into his head and now he's doubting his own ability.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad: We were nowhere near our best

Despite claiming a 30-12 victory against the Tigers, Raiders’ fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad believes that the team’s opening round performance was far from perfect.

“We were nowhere near where we wanted to be, and nowhere near our best,” Nicoll-Klokstad said.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -our-best/

How we've been pronouncing Canberra Raiders names incorrectly all this time

It turns out we've been saying their names all wrong. Papalii should be pronounced Papa-li-li, Nicoll-Klokstad is actually Nicoll-Klook-star (rhymes with book star), while Harawira-Naera is to be said Hada-wida-nida.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Raiders duo appreciate extra pronunciation effort: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/17/rai ... on-effort/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Bailey Simonsson: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... imonsson3/

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Sharks: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34510&p=1780423#p1780423

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-sharks/

Michael Asomua receives first Raiders Foundation Scholarship: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... holarship/

Canberra Raiders still in fifth in NRL power rankings: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/15/sow ... -grounded/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Belcher#1 wrote: March 17, 2021, 2:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:19 pm Canberra Raiders duo appreciate extra pronunciation effort

Papalii's pronunciation of his own name sounded just like how everyone had previously said it :hmmm
Nah mate, there was an extra sound at the end.

Jansen, johns, jones, johnson, johansen, jonessy, jameson etc etc must all sound terribly similar and confusing to non anglo-germanic speakers but we seem to think they are easily distinct and discernable to every speaker we come across. If Papali wants to be Papali'i it's fine by me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Belcher#1 wrote: March 17, 2021, 2:24 pm

It is different but it certainly didn’t sound like the pronunciation the commentators were using on the weekend... nor like the commentators in New Zealand.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It should be Pa-pa-li-i

I've also noticed some commentators have reverted back to called Rah-pana as Rap-ana.

I can't get my head around CNK and CHN as to why they're spelled like that, if they're pronounced vastly differently. Are the names perhaps the closest translations from native languages or something?

I dunno.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Bay53 wrote: March 17, 2021, 9:04 am
The Nickman wrote: March 17, 2021, 8:56 am Sundays are my absolute favourite gamedays, it sucks we get no more after this.
I had not realised we have no more Sunday games after this. I doubt that has ever happened.

Hopefully there is one more to come. On the Sunday night of the October long weekend sounds good.
I do so fancy another trip to Sydney on the October long weekend... :cool:
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:Sundays are my absolute favourite gamedays, it sucks we get no more after this.
Fridays and Saturdays are better to get on the tins though

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sunday night games are the absolute pits, no worse time slot. I hate it, even though I no longer have to worry about work commitments. It just doesn't feel right. Thursday nights and early Fridays are the other worst slots for most people who are attending... though Thursday nights are best for TV audiences, as it is a Nine slot. I like a Sunday afternoon... either timeslot. Other than that, Saturday any slot is good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hits and myths: The bargain buys giving their all — and the expensive flops killing their clubs

Bargain buys: Hudson Young (Canberra Raiders): Still very much only a young gun on the rise, the Raiders look to have unearthed a quality right edge forward in this bloke. Was on a cut-price deal last year but has just been upgraded to a new deal for this year through until the end of 2024. Currently on a contract worth around $280,000.

Price is right: Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders): Around $950,000 this year.
Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders): Around the $700,000 a season mark.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3b0ac939b
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2020 Rd 2 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Sundays are my absolute favourite gamedays, it sucks we get no more after this.
Fridays and Saturdays are better to get on the tins though

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
And that’s what I do fridays and saturdays without a pesky raiders game in the way!

Friday and Saturday’s for the tins, Sunday is for the couch.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I want Saturday’s..3pm or 5.30pm.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:I want Saturday’s..3pm or 5.30pm.
**** that, that’s smack back in the middle of my optimum drinking session at the pub
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: March 17, 2021, 9:04 pm Hits and myths: The bargain buys giving their all — and the expensive flops killing their clubs

Bargain buys: Hudson Young (Canberra Raiders): Still very much only a young gun on the rise, the Raiders look to have unearthed a quality right edge forward in this bloke. Was on a cut-price deal last year but has just been upgraded to a new deal for this year through until the end of 2024. Currently on a contract worth around $280,000.

Price is right: Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders): Around $950,000 this year.
Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders): Around the $700,000 a season mark.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3b0ac939b
Getting pretty good value on Papa, considering he's in the quality bracket of guys asking nearer 1 mill per season.
Jack has been delivering and it's probably what we had to come up with to keep him.
I'd say Young's contract is about right at the moment. He's on the rise but needs to put a full season together and find his best position before he's worth big dollars.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Thursday night, Friday 6.30 or Sunday 6pm work best for me to watch on TV, I can sort kids dinners etc and still get them to bed at a decent time and they can watch if the want (not Thursday though)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I dislike the first Friday night timeslot, especially at this time of the year with the current time difference. Game starts at 4:30 here, so I don't get home from work until the 2nd half

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:

It's obvious to me that all your deathriding has gotten into his head and now he's doubting his own ability.
I've now amended my any time try scorer in the pick the score thread to Sutton, to air out any perceived grievances.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: March 18, 2021, 9:28 am
The Nickman wrote:

I've now amended my any time try scorer in the pick the score thread to Sutton, to air out any perceived grievances.

Just leave the guy alone!! What's WRONG with you?!?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Sid wrote:I dislike the first Friday night timeslot, especially at this time of the year with the current time difference. Game starts at 4:30 here, so I don't get home from work until the 2nd half

All I am seeing from this is that you need to knock of work earlier? Maybe just cut away after Friday lunch beers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk