No votes

Total votes: 15

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: 2021 Rd 1 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by papabear »

BadnMean wrote: March 14, 2021, 9:21 pm
kiwi raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:21 pm

Yea maybe bigger wasnt the right term but he just looks like he can hurt you now, With and without the ball. More powerful is what I should have said
I was a bit nervous about that selection then I saw home line up and I was like wow.

Guy has been hitting the gym, went from being a small fger to a big one
He's definitely bigger/stronger than he was. He's a year or so ahead of HSS/Timoko physically and it shows now. The "extra" might also be his mindset is in a good place now too.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Hi guys! Very much enjoyed the start of the season. The Raiders didn't hit the ground running like the Storm adn Roosters did, and looked pretty clunky in that first half. But a big improvement in the second, and as everyone said, the strong bench had a lot to do with that. Such a shame for George to have that lovely score chalked off, he deserved it. Two admittedly pretty scruffy assists, and a hand in the third try and four goals ain't bad! He was our regular kicker at Wigan for quite a while, but I don't think he or I would claim him to be fantastic one. My concern would be your roster of outside backs. You are talking about people like Scott and Kris, but when you look at the quality of centres the other top sides have... That said, the Tigers are welcome to Roberts AFAIC. He must be the most over-rated player in the comp. In fact, that was a typical Roberts performance; one moment of 'magic', which was too late to affect anything, and otherwise anonymous.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

CJ42 wrote: March 15, 2021, 6:15 am It’s ludicrous to think we have the two Coreys out looking for a way back in, the forward pack is that stacked, our depth is insane that starting 13 in reserve grade was crazy solid.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Guler also.... I think Rushton is looking good also, although he is probably not quite ready
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: March 15, 2021, 6:36 am Guler is the worry
He’s imo, better than those three middles but for what ever reason Stuart went with them and they’re going to have to lose their spot for Guler to jump in

At least he’s re-signed
I can’t help but still feel we’re way too middle heavy and too much competition for spots can create its own problem
there will be a natural succession as the year goes on. Guler starting for reggies may be better for his development to start this year than fighting for minutes on a 4 forward bench, early in the season where the older and more experienced Sia. when CHN comes back into the side (and he will) that will be one less middle on the bench and more minutes will need to be soaked up. at this point gulers going to be used to playing more minutes and will suit our bench moreso than sia. i think. then theres horse. so 3 players i think need to be in the side. maybe we do have too many middles. can we apply for a 7 man bench?
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

moto748 wrote:Hi guys! Very much enjoyed the start of the season. The Raiders didn't hit the ground running like the Storm adn Roosters did, and looked pretty clunky in that first half. But a big improvement in the second, and as everyone said, the strong bench had a lot to do with that. Such a shame for George to have that lovely score chalked off, he deserved it. Two admittedly pretty scruffy assists, and a hand in the third try and four goals ain't bad! He was our regular kicker at Wigan for quite a while, but I don't think he or I would claim him to be fantastic one. My concern would be your roster of outside backs. You are talking about people like Scott and Kris, but when you look at the quality of centres the other top sides have... That said, the Tigers are welcome to Roberts AFAIC. He must be the most over-rated player in the comp. In fact, that was a typical Roberts performance; one moment of 'magic', which was too late to affect anything, and otherwise anonymous.
good assessment, what I think in the nrl in the moment is centre not being the game defining position, look at Melbourne who probably run the cheapest centres year on year. It's more about your edge backrower and winger with your fullback chiming in to do the ball playing.
Curtis Scott just needs to do what he did yesterday, smart reads and put his support away when he can. Croker is the same, with Rapana he'll get the help he needs in attack just needs to build some combination

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Anyone else seen joey leiluas instagram story? About young on his brother? He really does need to learn to control is anger, its one thing i dont miss about him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

With Hodgo going 80 mins without an issue I'd assume CHN takes Havili's spot on the bench. Sutton and James did everything needed to hold their spots. Nothing wrong with Sia's performance either. Going to be hard for Guler and Horse to crack the top 17. Unless of course Sticky decides to rotate them all in the first part of the season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 15, 2021, 7:53 am Anyone else seen joey leiluas instagram story? About young on his brother? He really does need to learn to control is anger, its one thing i dont miss about him

If I am coaching a side playing the tigers i would get the biggest thug in the side to give Lucy a bit of a workover on the first set of the game. Nothing that would get you sent off but if you give a penalty away oh well and just watch Beej go mental
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Just saw it. All he did yesterday was prove Stuart right in getting rid of him. I’m sure McGuire will be having a word to him again. Not a great start to his “new year, new me, best centre in the game blah blah blah”
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

They both targeted young after that, and he held up strong against it, and didnt fall to their level

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 15, 2021, 7:53 am Anyone else seen joey leiluas instagram story? About young on his brother? He really does need to learn to control is anger, its one thing i dont miss about him

Nope. Link? Photoshop?
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

In modern Society to an everyday joe its not extreme but for a professional sportsman who has had problems wih shooting from the cuff to come out like this after a game esp with him going on about the new me rubbish. He hasnt changed at all.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He played like an absolute busted **** after that too

Teams will either up the niggle on him, or try and bash his brother to get him stirred up

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im finding BJ's career situation to be very interesting

He was young and talented at the roosters, and got himself ousted from the club primarily due to immaturity
He goes to the knights, gets himself steady, plays some really good football, but never quite got the balance right in his risky style of play... leaves the club in less than mature circumstances
Comes to Canberra, and it's like he's a different guy. Never had issues off the park, off season weight issues aside and that's just par for the course in professional sports, his play on the field was as good as ever, he balanced his style nicely and then Stuart decides its time to move on and he's out

Immediately back to some very immature off field stuff and his balance is completely out of whack on the field in terms of risk/reward

Really interesting stuff.. I dont know if something about this club and the people, be it Stuart, Croker, Hodgo or other leaders like Sia, Papa etc had a really positive influence or just the connection with Jordy was the thing... but to see him revert back to so quickly is interesting

He definitely lost the plot yesterday, was arguably one of our best. He was intent on trying to take Young out, and in the process almost took Tamou out with reckless intent.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Botman wrote:Im finding BJ's career situation to be very interesting

He was young and talented at the roosters, and got himself ousted from the club primarily due to immaturity
He goes to the knights, gets himself steady, plays some really good football, but never quite got the balance right in his risky style of play... leaves the club in less than mature circumstances
Comes to Canberra, and it's like he's a different guy. Never had issues off the park, off season weight issues aside and that's just par for the course in professional sports, his play on the field was as good as ever, he balanced his style nicely and then Stuart decides its time to move on and he's out

Immediately back to some very immature off field stuff and his balance is completely out of whack on the field in terms of risk/reward

Really interesting stuff.. I dont know if something about this club and the people, be it Stuart, Croker, Hodgo or other leaders like Sia, Papa etc had a really positive influence or just the connection with Jordy was the thing... but to see him revert back to so quickly is interesting

He definitely lost the plot yesterday, was arguably one of our best. He was intent on trying to take Young out, and in the process almost took Tamou out with reckless intent.
I think the connection with jordy is huge in that regard, They were two completely different types of personalities but together they were magical, and clicked so well, and also elliott was apart of that as well.

Youd think playing with his brother, that his brother would help harness him but yesturday showed that their two different people, joey crumbled and targeted young all game and got worse as the game went on. His brother target young too but he harnessed his anger and i think it made him more dangerous.

Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

The channel 9 commentators were saying it should been a penalty as soon as it happened, and when i watched it live i thought young was stupid coming in but the replays show him trying to assist in getting lucy down as he was still gaining meters in the tackle, but either way he was lucky as it could of gone either way.

Extremely proud of young on how he controller himself and handled being targeted all game, i think 2 years ago young would of lost it but yesturday showed people can change unfortantly joey cant see that.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I wouldnt have complained if they called that a penalty. I think it was one of those 50/50 call in the moment.

Certainly not something that you should be losing your composure and hunting a guy for the way Beej did. Just part of footy... but agree with the above from Pete Cash and TW, big brother BJ is very protective of Luciano
As a team playing them, it's down right negligence if you're not laying something on Luciano early, even if it concedes a penalty just to get BJ into a right old state and just watch him unravel
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nothing wrong with having the back of your teammate, whether he's related or not. I think most of us have been there at some stage. The question is how you handle it.

Leila lost his ****, plain and simple and all rational thought went out of his head. As has been pointed out, he just proved why Stuart ditched him.

On the other hand, Hudson Young provoked that reaction with a solid hit, which could have been penalised. However, he didn't get sucked into the niggle - he just ran hard and got on with the job of winning the game.

That scenario right there was a pretty stark demonstration of what Stuart, and the culture at the Raiders, can do for players with a fiery streak. It was pretty good to see unfold actually.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is really a no win situation for a player to respond to commentators making critical comments. The Instagram story is in response to these comments from Michael Ennis: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0cf9d68ce0

James Hooper didn't really too add much as far as I can recall.

I can understand why players would be upset about critical comments... but it is part of the business. If a player is responding, they need to keep it civil... name calling (like "baldy") isn't acceptable behaviour.

‘Bruh... what would happen if it was me?’: Tigers star hits back at Ennis in fiery post: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4724b80937
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

moto748 wrote: March 15, 2021, 7:35 am Hi guys! Very much enjoyed the start of the season. The Raiders didn't hit the ground running like the Storm adn Roosters did, and looked pretty clunky in that first half. But a big improvement in the second, and as everyone said, the strong bench had a lot to do with that. Such a shame for George to have that lovely score chalked off, he deserved it. Two admittedly pretty scruffy assists, and a hand in the third try and four goals ain't bad! He was our regular kicker at Wigan for quite a while, but I don't think he or I would claim him to be fantastic one. My concern would be your roster of outside backs. You are talking about people like Scott and Kris, but when you look at the quality of centres the other top sides have... That said, the Tigers are welcome to Roberts AFAIC. He must be the most over-rated player in the comp. In fact, that was a typical Roberts performance; one moment of 'magic', which was too late to affect anything, and otherwise anonymous.
Hi moto!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Moment of the Week: Ryan James scores on debut: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -on-debut/

VIDEO: Ryan James speaks after debut in green: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... yan-james/

VIDEO: Caleb Aekins and Albert Hopoate speak after NSW Cup debut in green: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... d-hopoate/

VIDEO: Roaming Elliott: Rd 1 V Tigers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-tigers/

MATCH GALLERY: Raiders V Tigers: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/2 ... st#license

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-tigers/
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

greeneyed wrote:It is really a no win situation for a player to respond to commentators making critical comments. The Instagram story is in response to these comments from Michael Ennis: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0cf9d68ce0

James Hooper didn't really too add much as far as I can recall.

I can understand why players would be upset about critical comments... but it is part of the business. If a player is responding, they need to keep it civil... name calling (like "baldy") isn't acceptable behaviour.

‘Bruh... what would happen if it was me?’: Tigers star hits back at Ennis in fiery post: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4724b80937
There was nothing bad from ennis there at all, nothing to attack him over.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No judiciary charges for the Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/rou ... judiciary/
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2021, 11:09 am No judiciary charges for the Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/rou ... judiciary/
this doesnt include nsw cup charges does it?
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’m almost embarrassed to do it, but I agree with Alexander re having those brothers on opposite sides

Together is a potentially potent mix but it’s really going to be easy to get beej off his game when he’s that close to his little brother on the field
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think you're better with Roberts sniffing for those Luci offloads as well. More attack headed to that Roberts / Noffa side is a plus for them.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Where can I watch Sticks pressa without subscribing for OR downloading something ?

Wasn’t this always free ?

I’ve tried Raiders.com..NRL.com..Canberra Raiders Facebook etc.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2021, 11:28 am Where can I watch Sticks pressa without subscribing for OR downloading something ?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: March 15, 2021, 11:31 am
-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2021, 11:28 am Where can I watch Sticks pressa without subscribing for OR downloading something ?

Nah..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That asks you to subscribe? Interesting.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Have you tried the NRL app?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I almost - almost - feel sorry for Luciano, because you can bet that every coach in the NRL has noticed that BJ completely loses the plot the minute he thinks Luciano might even have been slighted, and so every coach in the NRL will be telling the designated team niggler to go after Luciano to get BJ to lose the plot.

We certainly showed some rust in the first half but as soon as we ran out for the second half I noticed an immediate difference in our speed, intent and play style. Definitely shook off that rust.

That performance from Hudson Young will have every coach we face in the next few weeks scrambling to try and figure out how to counter him. He was absolutely huge. All of our forwards were really good. I was so thrilled for Ryan James when he scored and he looked damaging all over.

I was also quite impressed with Curtis Scott. I've been wondering how he would go this year without the other stuff hanging over his head and this is an emphatic response. He looked stronger in attack and defense. Bailey looked superb. And I just loved Seb Kris. I'll buy in on the person who thinks we should play him as bench utility in place of Havili. He's big enough, runs hard. I do think we missed a few of the 1%ers that Croker is so good at, but that's fine - we've got enough strike power to cover it until he's ready to go.

All in all, a lot to be pleased with.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: March 15, 2021, 11:10 am
greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2021, 11:09 am No judiciary charges for the Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/rou ... judiciary/
this doesnt include nsw cup charges does it?
No, will see if they announce them... they haven't been in the habit of it in recent seasons.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 15, 2021, 11:36 am That asks you to subscribe? Interesting.
If it does... I'm pretty sure it is a free subscription. You just need to sign up and create a NRL.com account.