Tigers 13+
No votes

Total votes: 15

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2021 Rd 1 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

Very clunky early on but never in doubt.

How about RJames scoring a try.GOLD
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LongTimeLurker
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by LongTimeLurker »

First half - Hodgson moving lateral and giving it to forwards that were flat footed (either as a crash ball or a suck under pass). Same old predictable Raiders from the start of last year.

Second half - Hodgson giving Williams a lot of early ball. When Hodgson did decide to run, he was moving forward and created great go forward.

That was the difference.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Good result. Followed our pattern of coming home with a wet sail 2nd half. Seems a long time ago we were called the faders. We looked better as tiredness set in and we played what was in front of us. Our structure still seems to let us down when called upon. Hudson Young is a stud. James was very good. E
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I feel like I keep harping on about it but the bench needs a bit of thought imo. If Havili is the sub hooker I think a back needs to be there. We could have been in a world of hurt if Simonsson was forced off in the first half.

Just on Simonsson. I continue to be a very big fan. He just passes every eye test to me. I think he’ll continue to improve at rucking the ball out and he’s just too skillful a winger to not be in the run on team imo.

He made one big blue which will undoubtedly be rubbed in in video sessions. But other than that I was pretty impressed and has that special play which he produced for Young in the second half. I think he has a turn of foot that most don’t realize (basing that on a couple of NSW Cup performances in 2019) which is needed.

And on Wingers Rapana just looks fit for a change. And enjoying every minute.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

CNK was very good in defence however he needs to work on his running towards the line. Gets driven back 9.5 out of 10 times. Needs to also work on his pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Pretty happy.
Tight first half. Surprised Tigers didn't go to James Roberts more. Maybe it was Seb Kris handling him.

Everyone played well.

Highlights we're Seb, Rapa, Georgie, Hudson, Elliott (always) and Ryan James.

Super stoked for James.

Loved how George stepped and ran past Joey Leilua to 'score'.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

George's defence was great today.
Had Luciano running at him all day.
Didn't fold and still had enough with the ball.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Young was our best.
Kris and Scott looked good..
Not a fan of the 3 big bobbers on the bench... we’ll need variation against better teams.
Happy debut for James!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Gotta say..

Luke Brooks is pure garbage. He’s been in 1st grade long enough and still delivers pooooooooo.

He would not get a start in any other club.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:12 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:08 pm
Sid wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:06 pm I didn’t know a player could be binned after the final whistle, or any decision really
Deemed a professional foul that ended the game prematurely. Tigers get the penalty and Raiders defend a man down.
A good call by the ref imo and hopefully it is replicated when teams slow down the last set like that when the game is still on the line.
Yep, I fully support refs doing this. As you say, it's the consistency that is key now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 14, 2021, 4:52 pm
Kryptonite wrote: March 14, 2021, 4:44 pm I dont get all the negative comments about CNK? Whats the alternative?
With Kris looking the goods at left centre I expect to see a Croker to fullback thread soon.
Yeah dont speak too soon, Kris will be on the fringe all season, then off to the Roosters when he cant get a look in
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:26 pm I feel like I keep harping on about it but the bench needs a bit of thought imo. If Havili is the sub hooker I think a back needs to be there. We could have been in a world of hurt if Simonsson was forced off in the first half.

Just on Simonsson. I continue to be a very big fan. He just passes every eye test to me. I think he’ll continue to improve at rucking the ball out and he’s just too skillful a winger to not be in the run on team imo.

He made one big blue which will undoubtedly be rubbed in in video sessions. But other than that I was pretty impressed and has that special play which he produced for Young in the second half. I think he has a turn of foot that most don’t realize (basing that on a couple of NSW Cup performances in 2019) which is needed.

It was very quickly apparent that a large part of our game would have to be compromised in order to shoehorn a forward in there. Having Curtis Scott on the wing is far from an ideal situation as well, given his distinct lack of speed.

Dunamis Lui only played 18 minutes out there today. We can absolutely fit a back on the bench - a couple of the ideal sides I've named has had Kris in there, but if he plays the way he's shown to be capable of, he deserves a starting spot. If he's playing it won't which back is on the bench - so long as we have one.
Last edited by afgtnk on March 14, 2021, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:Gotta say..

Luke Brooks is pure garbage. He’s been in 1st grade long enough and still delivers pooooooooo.

He would not get a start in any other club.
their 6, 7, 9 are nsw cup standard but really a lot of their side is.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Frustrating first half, especially seeing our attack in the trial was so slick

Clicked when we played more direct before going wide.

Jesus the tigers look average though, better teams with as much of a run of possession would have scored far more points.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Sharks will be a step up for sure.
Tigers were rubbish...
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Clunky at times but some good signs also.

Kris was good apart from the read on roberts. Seemed bigger, faster and stronger than I remember.
Scott much better than 2020, handled bj well all game and put cnk away nicely with some good centre play.

Hudson Young and tapine are just studs.
Sutton really really strong too. I probably would have gone guler ahead of him but he was a beast today. Can't drop him off that effort
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:49 pm
julian87 wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:26 pm I feel like I keep harping on about it but the bench needs a bit of thought imo. If Havili is the sub hooker I think a back needs to be there. We could have been in a world of hurt if Simonsson was forced off in the first half.

It was very quickly apparent that a large part of our game would have to be compromised in order to shoehorn a forward in there. Having Curtis Scott on the wing is far from an ideal situation as well, given his distinct lack of speed.

Dunamis Lui only played 18 minutes out there today. We can absolutely fit a back on the bench - a couple of the ideal sides I've named has had Kris in there, but if he plays the way he's shown to be capable of, he deserves a starting spot. If he's playing it won't which back is on the bench - so long as we have one.
I think Scott was as good as Kris today tbh. And I think the team missed Croker. Obviously his goal kicking but also his ability to draw penalties from our own end and the biggest unspoken aspect of his game: being a an attacking kick target.

I do agree thoroughly about the bench though. If Havili is the bench hooker he can become the 6th middle with a utility back on the bench. As it stands that should be HSS IMO but once Croker returns Kris seems to me to be the prime candidate as he’s probably tough enough to fill in in the middle if injuries hit or for fresh legs late in a game/half.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

kiwi raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:57 pm Kris was good apart from the read on roberts. Seemed bigger, faster and stronger than I remember.

Funny I think Kris seems to have lost weight. Or at least transferred it to lean muscle. He definitely seemed a lumbered 2 seasons ago. He looks a much, much better player than the 2019 version of himself regardless!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Kryptonite wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:47 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 14, 2021, 4:52 pm
Kryptonite wrote: March 14, 2021, 4:44 pm I dont get all the negative comments about CNK? Whats the alternative?
With Kris looking the goods at left centre I expect to see a Croker to fullback thread soon.
Yeah dont speak too soon, Kris will be on the fringe all season, then off to the Roosters when he cant get a look in
Instead of the real move - which would be shipping Croker off to a bottom 4 club by convincing them they’re getting a “name” player. (See: the dragons with Jack Bird)
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah I like the Kris to bench idea when Croker returns...
In saying that he looked good today on the left.
Going to be interesting when the 2 Coreys return..
While I didn’t like the look of our bench, they all played well..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:06 pm Yeah I like the Kris to bench idea when Croker returns...
In saying that he looked good today on the left.
Going to be interesting when the 2 Coreys return..
While I didn’t like the look of our bench, they all played well..
Put me down for one of these too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I love how some people on here think Sutton is a " Vanilla" forward....He doesn't get enough credit imo
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raiders666 wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:11 pm I love how some people on here think Sutton is a " Vanilla" forward....He doesn't get enough credit imo
Agreed. I think he is clearly one of our best 5 middles and when fit should be in our best 17.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

julian87 wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:04 pm
kiwi raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:57 pm Kris was good apart from the read on roberts. Seemed bigger, faster and stronger than I remember.

Funny I think Kris seems to have lost weight. Or at least transferred it to lean muscle. He definitely seemed a lumbered 2 seasons ago. He looks a much, much better player than the 2019 version of himself regardless!
Yea maybe bigger wasnt the right term but he just looks like he can hurt you now, With and without the ball. More powerful is what I should have said
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wiki Special wrote:
Raiders666 wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:11 pm I love how some people on here think Sutton is a " Vanilla" forward....He doesn't get enough credit imo
Agreed. I think he is clearly one of our best 5 middles and when fit should be in our best 17.
Easily one of our top 3 today

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:21 pm

Yea maybe bigger wasnt the right term but he just looks like he can hurt you now, With and without the ball. More powerful is what I should have said
He's always had a strong carry on him, but i think you've both gotten to it. He looks a little trimmer to me and seems a touch faster, but he's converting that speed into some real power. It's exciting to see give where he's come from.

I remember a few years ago saying i thought he had the ability to have a long NRL career. Maybe never a superstar rep player, but that sort of guy who bounces around 2-3 clubs and has 10 years and 150+ games to his name when it's all said and done. Really happy for him
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Thanks for your posts, Nickman. 3 genuine laugh out louds in that lot.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

LongTimeLurker wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:22 pm First half - Hodgson moving lateral and giving it to forwards that were flat footed (either as a crash ball or a suck under pass). Same old predictable Raiders from the start of last year.

Second half - Hodgson giving Williams a lot of early ball. When Hodgson did decide to run, he was moving forward and created great go forward.

That was the difference.
Is this **** serious? First half we were looking to get the ball wide early and looked rubbish. Second half we initially looked to drive through the middle which resulted in points, followed by hodgo creating width to williams. Do we even watch the same game?
Dont delete this GE
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Seb Kris has lost the head gear he formerly wore and has had a long time off to build muscle. He was always a powerful build but I think he is now more comfortable in FG. Confidence is a wonderful thing. Hopefully he gets another FG opportunity against Dugan next week.

I was impressed with the mobility of the Raiders defensive line. Most of the time there were plenty of green defenders running, not jogging, towards where they were needed. This means the conditioning of the pre-season has been effective and the commitment from the players is there for all to see. It would be interesting to know what Sticky said to the players at half time.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:
radicalraider wrote:Young M O M
MILF?
Re-reading the posts. Classic!!!!!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I thought we looked all over the place until sutton came on and drove us forward.
Dont delete this GE
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
julian87 wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:12 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:08 pm
Sid wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:06 pm I didn’t know a player could be binned after the final whistle, or any decision really
Deemed a professional foul that ended the game prematurely. Tigers get the penalty and Raiders defend a man down.
A good call by the ref imo and hopefully it is replicated when teams slow down the last set like that when the game is still on the line.
Yep, I fully support refs doing this. As you say, it's the consistency that is key now.
Exactly, he was 5 metres offside 3 plays in a row, gave away 2 6 agains and left sutton with no option

Only that it didn't matter and dragged the game out for another 2 minutes

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:00 pm I thought we looked all over the place until sutton came on and drove us forward.
100% agree
He was my MOTM. He just seem to take us back to basics and play directly, and everything else sort of worked nicely off the back of that.
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Was it just me who had a tear in their eye when Ryan James, a Raiders fan as a kid, coming off 2 years without playing a game due to knee injuries and scores a try in his comeback game.

Geez he will be an asset to the team if he stays injury free!!!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Yap wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:06 pm Was it just me who had a tear in their eye when Ryan James, a Raiders fan as a kid, coming off 2 years without playing a game due to knee injuries and scores a try in his comeback game.

Geez he will be an asset to the team if he stays injury free!!!
Same here.. must’ve been the onions
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!