The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Schifty »

One Nation's WA Leader definitely got it right.

Latest results had them at 1.2% behind the Australian Christians and the No Mandatory Vaccination party
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

SCHIFTY! They told me you were dead!

Just took a cringey One Nation quote to reanimate your corpse!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Anthony "I fight tories" Albanese tore SM a new one in Parliament today. The kind of fire and brimstone that I think many have been crying out for from the opposition. And you could tell that SM was very rattled.

Whilst the LNP continues to be a government of scandal, Albanese merely needs to be inoffensive in the way that Shorten simply wasn't and he will go very close to gaining the small handful of seats Labor needs to form government.

If he goes further and brings the fire like he did today on more a regular basis, then he will be the next PM, guaranteed.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 15, 2021, 4:08 pm Anthony "I fight tories" Albanese tore SM a new one in Parliament today. The kind of fire and brimstone that I think many have been crying out for from the opposition. And you could tell that SM was very rattled.

Whilst the LNP continues to be a government of scandal, Albanese merely needs to be inoffensive in the way that Shorten simply wasn't and he will go very close to gaining the small handful of seats Labor needs to form government.

If he goes further and brings the fire like he did today on more a regular basis, then he will be the next PM, guaranteed.
For some weird reason at 2pm I watched Parliament time..

AA was very emotional and blunt, he tore Scomo a new one.

It was a beautiful thing..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I loved it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 15, 2021, 4:08 pm Anthony "I fight tories" Albanese tore SM a new one in Parliament today. The kind of fire and brimstone that I think many have been crying out for from the opposition. And you could tell that SM was very rattled.
Yep, it was a very strong message and statement. Very good moment for him. That's the sort of thing that stirs people to get behind a guy in politics.
We need to hear and see more of that from him. That moment goes to what i've been saying, there is nothing stopping him from making his mark and being present in the daily discourse
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2021, 8:37 am
Yep, it was a very strong message and statement. Very good moment for him. That's the sort of thing that stirs people to get behind a guy in politics.
We need to hear and see more of that from him. That moment goes to what i've been saying, there is nothing stopping him from making his mark and being present in the daily discourse
Correct.

Regardless of political affiliation, or lack thereof in my case, there is a lot of unhappiness at how the federal government has handled both the bushfire emergency response and the lack of leadership during the covid period. This is just another example of a backseat leader. Calling him out publicly will help any opposition leaders cause.

I said the same during the Qld state election - all the opposition leader needed to do was point out some simple basic inaccuracies in APs claims, and she would have got a tonne more votes. But she was absent.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:Imagine voting for that wanker.
Well the other bloke did himself zero favours by saying "meh, were gonna lose anyway why bother" 3 weeks out from the election

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:
Well the other bloke did himself zero favours by saying "meh, were gonna lose anyway why bother" 3 weeks out from the election

Well at least he was being realistic.

The good people of WA are under the impression that we are all dying of the plague over here, and McGowan like some sort of Super Jesus has delivered them to salvation. It's easy to fool stupid people, and I'd wager that the average Western Australian's knowledge of covid in the eastern states comes almost entirely from sound bites of McGowan telling them that we are all ****, we might as well be Italy in March, and he has saved them.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 16, 2021, 6:37 pm
-TW- wrote:

The good people of WA are under the impression that we are all dying of the plague over here, and McGowan like some sort of Super Jesus has delivered them to salvation. It's easy to fool stupid people, and I'd wager that the average Western Australian's knowledge of covid in the eastern states comes almost entirely from sound bites of McGowan telling them that we are all ****, we might as well be Italy in March, and he has saved them.
Sounds like when you get a result you don’t like, it is because everyone is stupid except you :lol:

Have you considered that maybe instead of every westerner being scared they are going to die without McGowan that there is simply a strong parochialism/secession sentiment in WA, and covid is merely a vehicle to express that?
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
-TW- wrote:

All hail Kim Jong McGowan

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: March 16, 2021, 6:37 pm
-TW- wrote:

Sounds like when you get a result you don’t like, it is because everyone is stupid except you Image

Have you considered that maybe instead of every westerner being scared they are going to die without McGowan that there is simply a strong parochialism/secession sentiment in WA, and covid is merely a vehicle to express that?
Stupid is probably unfair. Ignorant fits better. I've no doubt that the majority of Western Australians are ignorant of the Covid situation in the eastern states.

Absolutely that's the case. He has ceased covid as an opportunity to push the us against the Easterners. Same as Palaszczuk did with Queensland against the southerners. Both leaders harnessed ingrained parochialism and amplified it.

It's gutter, divisive politics during a national emergency and at a time when we need unity. It was always going to pay dividends, but none of us should be happy that it did.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

It's a bit of both. McGowan has really appealed to the underlying Wexit sentiment and the fire has been stoked by the COVID situation. I think McGowan is the biggest tool out of all the state leaders but he's played the situation to perfection and results say the same.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:It's a bit of both. McGowan has really appealed to the underlying Wexit sentiment and the fire has been stoked by the COVID situation. I think McGowan is the biggest tool out of all the state leaders but he's played the situation to perfection and results say the same.
Absolutely.

I know this will sound like "my friend's dogs, sister's owner". But one of my relos was a Labor staffer for 30 years. She was not happy about the Queensland borders last yeat, and asked a very senior Queensland based former federal Labor minister about it. She was told that the border restrictions were continuing as internal polling suggested they win votes. Take that how you will, but it's no surprise to me.

McGowan has played it to perfection, but to be honest it wasn't a particular clever or difficult game to play. I agree he is by far the worst of the state leaders. He is embarrassing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 17, 2021, 8:25 am
Northern Raider wrote:It's a bit of both. McGowan has really appealed to the underlying Wexit sentiment and the fire has been stoked by the COVID situation. I think McGowan is the biggest tool out of all the state leaders but he's played the situation to perfection and results say the same.
Absolutely.

I know this will sound like "my friend's dogs, sister's owner". But one of my relos was a Labor staffer for 30 years. She was not happy about the Queensland borders last yeat, and asked a very senior Queensland based former federal Labor minister about it. She was told that the border restrictions were continuing as internal polling suggested they win votes. Take that how you will, but it's no surprise to me.

McGowan has played it to perfection, but to be honest it wasn't a particular clever or difficult game to play. I agree he is by far the worst of the state leaders. He is embarrassing.
Queensland Labor clearly won the state election based on the border closures, that's fact. One Nation had one of their more disastrous campaigns, and that's simply because Labor stole their "don't let foreigners in!!" platform and took a LOT of their base.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
-TW- wrote:

All hail Kim Jong McGowan

Funny you say that

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncateg ... overnment/
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Reports that approximately 17 billion JobKeeper dollars went to companies that grew their profits during COVID.

The superior economic management team strikes again!

Just add it to the list of achievements after saving us from the "debt and deficit disaster" and proceeding to quadruple the magnitude of that so called disaster.

Imagine if these grubs pursued corporate rorting with the same vigour they wrongfully pursued impoverished welfare recipients?
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Reports that approximately 17 billion JobKeeper dollars went to companies that grew their profits during COVID.

Just add it to the list of achievements after saving us from the "debt and deficit disaster" and proceeding to quadruple the magnitude of that so called disaster.

Imagine if these grubs pursued corporate rorting with the same vigour they wrongfully pursued impoverished welfare recipients?
This is not at all surprising. Nor is it surprising that a number of people had returned to work and were continuing to claim job keeper, or that some people were earning well more from job keeper than they had from their job. The argument is that it was a temporary solution and putting resources in place to police misuse would cost more than the misuse would. But I'm no economic expert.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 18, 2021, 5:50 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:Reports that approximately 17 billion JobKeeper dollars went to companies that grew their profits during COVID.

This is not at all surprising. Nor is it surprising that a number of people had returned to work and were continuing to claim job keeper, or that some people were earning well more from job keeper than they had from their job. The argument is that it was a temporary solution and putting resources in place to police misuse would cost more than the misuse would. But I'm no economic expert.
17 billion dollars is galaxies away from that argument though. Much of the unfettered rorting stemmed from companies declaring their drastically reduced earnings from those couple of weeks when the country was in lockdown, and then carrying on their merry way a week later collecting job keeper for the next year based on those 3 weeks jn March despite their earnings going back to normal.

And handing out executive bonuses in the millions no less.

If you can flick off jobkeeper and jobseeker at the spigot for genuinely struggling businesses and employees, then you can do that same for the likes of Harvey Norman back a year ago when it is clear they are doing just fine and cashing in on an understandably hastily devised program.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You got a link for that?
17 billion seems like an absurd amount of money and I can't find anything about it online.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 18, 2021, 6:29 pm 17 billion dollars is galaxies away from that argument though. Much of the unfettered rorting stemmed from companies declaring their drastically reduced earnings from those couple of weeks when the country was in lockdown, and then carrying on their merry way a week later collecting job keeper for the next year based on those 3 weeks jn March despite their earnings going back to normal.
I don't think you understand how Jobkeeper worked

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

T_R wrote: March 18, 2021, 9:34 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 18, 2021, 6:29 pm 17 billion dollars is galaxies away from that argument though. Much of the unfettered rorting stemmed from companies declaring their drastically reduced earnings from those couple of weeks when the country was in lockdown, and then carrying on their merry way a week later collecting job keeper for the next year based on those 3 weeks jn March despite their earnings going back to normal.
Care to elaborate on where my description is incorrect?
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Still waiting on that link.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Why don't you Google 'actual decline in turnover test' and report back to the class?

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

T_R wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:49 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
Why don't you Google 'actual decline in turnover test' and report back to the class?

I think it will be more beneficial for you to present your report back to the class first on the original decline in turnover test which applied from March 2020 until October.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 19, 2021, 11:26 am Still waiting on that link.
The job keeper rorting has been well covered across major media sources citing a report from Ownership Matters which found 1/5 of the 83 billion odd job keeper program went to companies which profits actually rose during 2020 compared to 2019.

E.g https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 93d1180cb2

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 57blx.html
Up The Milk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote:

I think it will be more beneficial for you to present your report back to the class first on the original decline in turnover test which applied from March 2020 until October.
And here was me thinking you said they were collecting it 'for the next year'.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
The job keeper rorting has been well covered across major media sources citing a report from Ownership Matters which found 1/5 of the 83 billion odd job keeper program went to companies which profits actually rose during 2020 compared to 2019.

As for your original claim, I'm sure it happened to some extent, but not as you say. JK was initially based on BAS already submitted to the ATO, which should not have been impacted significantly by COVID. I'm sure some companies did well out of it, but it was rushed legislation that filled a desperate need at the time. It also provided broad stimulus to the economy.

And ket's face it - Australia.... and this is the hard bit for you ... governed by those nasty, incompetent LNP folks.... has absolutely nailed the response, medically and economically. Certainly not perfect, but right up there with the best in the world.

Not for me, having said that. We're pretty screwed.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:

Thanks. Those reports both give significantly smaller figures than 17 billion
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

T_R wrote: March 20, 2021, 6:29 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote:

And here was me thinking you said they were collecting it 'for the next year'.

Sorry when I was saying “carrying on their merry way for the next year” I was using hyperbole to emphasise the very large and prolonged scale of the rort. I’m fully aware that reporting was finally obligated again in October. I can change it to “carry on their merry way for 2/3 of a year” if you’d like.

In any case your rebuttal does nothing to undermine the point that it was a very profligate and tasty corporate welfare trough for a decent 7-8 months there.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

T_R wrote: March 20, 2021, 6:35 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:

As for your original claim, I'm sure it happened to some extent, but not as you say. JK was initially based on BAS already submitted to the ATO, which should not have been impacted significantly by COVID. I'm sure some companies did well out of it, but it was rushed legislation that filled a desperate need at the time. It also provided broad stimulus to the economy.

And ket's face it - Australia.... and this is the hard bit for you ... governed by those nasty, incompetent LNP folks.... has absolutely nailed the response, medically and economically. Certainly not perfect, but right up there with the best in the world.

Sounds like you’ve got a real bee in your bonnet at the mere suggestion of criticism
Of the federal government.

You’re also a very short jump away from “if you don’t like it leave” .

Seriously by your metric of analysis, no maladministration in Australia should be questioned because there are other countries doing worse.

How is it not legitimate to ask why JK rorting on an industrial scale is not pursued with the same vigour as was employed in the robodebt fíasco?
Up The Milk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
T_R wrote: March 20, 2021, 6:35 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:

Sounds like you’ve got a real bee in your bonnet at the mere suggestion of criticism
Of the federal government.

You’re also a very short jump away from “if you don’t like it leave” .

Seriously by your metric of analysis, no maladministration in Australia should be questioned because there are other countries doing worse.

How is it not legitimate to ask why JK rorting on an industrial scale is not pursued with the same vigour as was employed in the robodebt fíasco?
On Facebook, I'm being attacked as a Labor flunky. Funny old world, isn't it.

I've also spent a large part of the year lobbying very negatively against various federal Ministers, often to their faces. I get that you're a good old ideological warrior, but I'm not, for either side.

I'm out at this point. I find you probably the least interesting poster here and there's no point engaging with you.

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

You’ve nicely covered the three elements of a decent mid-discussion tantrum: refuse to engage on substantive point(s); ad hominem attack(s) and then the piece de resistance “I don’t want to talk to you anymore” dummy spit.

I can’t tell you how much it hurts that you find me the least interesting poster on this forum. May spend the rest of my Saturday in deep reflection.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on March 20, 2021, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Met Craig Kelly today

He was having a coffee at Wattle Grove.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

I’m so sorry dubs, hope the rest of your weekend improves