No votes
Tigers 13+
No votes

Total votes: 25

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams looks to fill the void left by Canberra Raiders superboot Jarrod Croker in NRL opener

George Williams says "I'm no Jarrod Croker", but the hopes of almost 20,000 Canberra Raiders fans could rest on his right goal kicking boot if things go down to the wire on Sunday.

"[I've practiced] quite a lot mate to be honest. Obviously we knew pretty early that Jarrod's shoulder was no good in the off-season and he was going to be battling to get to round one," Williams said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL match preview: Raiders V Tigers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34497

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-tigers/

NSW Cup match preview: viewtopic.php?p=1778859#p1778859

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... v-magpies/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

David Howell and Glen Turner?

That's... great. Feel really happy for James.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: March 10, 2021, 2:57 pm
GreenMachine wrote:We are really going to be relying on our halves and forwards to win us matches this season..
Just like rugby league teams have been doing since 1908
Yes and No.
Having some speed (and attacking threat) in the backline goes a long way to taking pressure off the halves to create 'everything'...
Also reduces the need for forwards to have to be more creative and potentially drop the ball...
That being said its only round 1 and I'm banking on changes being made eventually...
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Any particular reason we don't play 2 games in a row at Canberra stadium all year? I haven't been in the loop
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

The Nickman wrote: March 11, 2021, 4:40 pm David Howell and Glen Turner?

Hahaha I was thinking that too.

He was probably hoping for Mal Meninga, instead he gets David Howell. :roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 10:35 pm
gergreg wrote: March 10, 2021, 9:22 pm I think it would be interesting to also see what segment of the field line breaks occur. For example - It is possible that line breaks occurred in the middle and then the outside men closed in and shut down the line break. (We all know that CNK is pretty damn good defensively.) As a result, on the following play the opposition shifted wide and scored through the edges.

I'm not at all saying this is what happened but it's difficult to tell a full story with a single set of data.

That being said, from the eye test I'd guess the majority of line breaks also occurred on the edges.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Exactly. Leaking defence is about way more than where the opposition crosses the tryline.

This was my earlier post on the matter, when comparing our 2020 defence to 2019...
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 1:36 pm Yeah, we definitely leaked more in the middle - which I mostly attribute to the changes. Our defence on the edges sucked at times though, which had more to do with the form of certain players, the introduction of rookies and others playing out of position.
Captain tedious then uses a try scoring comparison to claim our middle defence was better last season than in 2019 because the percentage of tries we conceded in the middle was slightly lower in 2020. Can I just say, that the chart also tells me the Cowboys middle defence only conceded 15% of their tries - therefore based on those stats, I can only assume Captain Dingleberry's conclusion must also be that the Cowboys middles are better than ours. News flash...that chart gives us a relative percentage of where tries are scored. It doesn't tell us anything more about a team's defense. **** me.

Firstly, we conceded an average of 16.7ppg last year compared to 15.1ppg in 2019, so on the whole our defence across the park was a bit worse. That's not overly surprising.

I also said our defence out wide sucked at times last year. In comparison to last season we clearly conceded many more breaks down the edges right where Scott and Rapana played. It's no surprise the relative percentage of tries scored against us increased in that area - particularly on the right. I didn't need a chart to know that. The fact that this happened tells us nothing about the quality of our defence in the middle - other than it was relatively better than our ordinary defence out wide.

Now, I couldn't care less if Ernie Numbnuts doesn't think our defence in the middle leaked a bit more last season...those leaks consisting of linebreaks, tries, offloads, whatever...my original point is that Stuart will be looking for the entire team to again lift it's defense across the park. Including the middle...and especially out wide.

I'm going to give you a hot tip here - when you fall behind, don't keep trying to argue your way out of it. There's no dishonour in having your ego hurt and quietly letting one go. You're trying to make out like your point was about something else, spinning it off in a thousand different directions

You made a claim. You clearly had based the claim on nothing but your own eyes, since the numbers came back and proved the claim definitively incorrect. Our middle defence was more leaky in 2019 than 2020, contrary to your claims. Trying to base the argument on PPG is flawed, because it fails to take into consideration the changing nature of the comp as a whole from year to year and relativity to other sides - i.e. if the game were to see more points scored across the board in a particular year, like through a bunch of rule changes for example, an increased figure may only be in line with that rise. If PPG decreased as a whole and we increased, then it's cause for concern.

The graphs presented are representations of 100% of the tries scored against the team. The edge percentage being much higher does not indicate that your edge defence is leaky and needs to be fixed, as if it's a bad thing - it is a graph illustrating all tries scored against you, and you're always going to concede tries, regardless of how many. You want the percentage conceded on the edges to be much higher. It increases the difficulty of the conversion attempt by the opposing team. If you reduce the percentage on the edges, where does that then go? **** me dead.

As for the claim 'we clearly conceded many more breaks down the edges right where Scott and Rapana played', it'd be nice to see if you've based this on some sort data that it's measured in ..... or perhaps you're just flat out making **** up. Again.
"How to admit you were wrong"

From the acclaimed author who brought us 'Sammy Williams is a better half than Aiden Sezer' for 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra will be a heavy favourite against the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium but their opponents come into the clash with superb trial form. Jamie Soward previews the game: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/rai ... --round-1/
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

IBG wrote: March 11, 2021, 5:46 pm

The DOC! :lol:
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Tigers are a decent team. I really hope we target Laurie at the back, particularly on kick returns. He is very small, should be able to dominate him and push him back - and we should test him under the high ball as often as possible.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Me and some old Raiders Army mates were cracking jokes about this last night
As my mate said "Its never a good sign when the club legends ask you for an autograph and free tickets"
:lol: :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: We’ve been getting it wrong: How to say Klokstad: Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad talks about how he found even he was saying his name wrong and reveals how it is actually said: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/wev ... -klokstad/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Sia Soliola will let game decide his future

Canberra Raiders veteran Sia Soliola says he will let the game decide whether he continues into an 18th season next year.

"The intensity level in the fitness is the obvious one. Not too much tactically, but we've done a hell of a lot of running," Soliola said. "This is probably one of the fittest off-seasons - it nearly broke me I've got to be honest about that one.

Wanniassa bakery does it again with Canberra Raiders tribute wall

The Wanniassa baker responsible for the Canberra Raiders green bread and pies has done it again with a Green Machine tribute wall now installed in his shop. It is now a blank canvas for the autographs of Canberra Raiders, with foundation player Angel Marina due to put his moniker to the wall on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:VIDEO: We’ve been getting it wrong: How to say Klokstad: Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad talks about how he found even he was saying his name wrong and reveals how it is actually said: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/wev ... -klokstad/
Klook-sta instead of Clocks-tad?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Speed the storm showed brought out my only fear for our team wether our backs have enough of it.. Confident but that makes me nervous

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders keep low profile as hype builds

The Raiders have aimed to keep a low profile in the final weeks of the pre-season.

"In discussion with the players we had a conversation about keeping a low profile over the fortnight leading into the competition. Over the past few years there's been a couple of incidents that occurred late in the preparation leading into the competition and we all decided we didn't want that to be one of us," Ricky Stuart said.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That must be why we got them out of the way early.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Really pleased to see GT looking well in that photo. There was a story on here a couple of months ago that he was in a bad way. Hope his treatment is going well. Fantastic guy.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

irvste wrote: March 12, 2021, 4:15 pm Speed the storm showed brought out my only fear for our team wether our backs have enough of it.. Confident but that makes me nervous Image

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
With a team like the Storm I don't think it matters who we have. We could have almost anyone in the league playing in the backline and still not have speed to match Josh Addo Carr. He's just a freak. Key in games like that will be to minimise the space you give and try to shut them down before they can spread it wide early to him.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Not sure if it’s been reported elsewhere on GH. Papalli, CNK and CHN have all officially changed the pronunciation of their names in the NRL media register.
RaiderDavo
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by RaiderDavo »

Maybe we’re related bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BJ wrote: March 13, 2021, 8:28 am Not sure if it’s been reported elsewhere on GH. Papalli, CNK and CHN have all officially changed the pronunciation of their names in the NRL media register.
I saw about CNK, but what's Papa's? Is it the way the other Papali'i says it?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:Not sure if it’s been reported elsewhere on GH. Papalli, CNK and CHN have all officially changed the pronunciation of their names in the NRL media register.
CNK's is Charnce Nicoll Klooksta

Klokstad is Norwegian and his family pulled him up on the pronunciation

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think this is an interesting one with CNK.

If you’ve gone through your life pronouncing your name in a way that’s aligned to the phonetic pronunciation of where you live, even if told that’s not how it was originally pronounced you might prefer to keep it as is (ease/established identity). Obviously there are reasons you do want to change when you find out too (importance to self/family, connection to heritage).
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Geez we were all giving crap to the NZ commentators for saying Papali'i but is that really how it's going to be pronounced now?! :o
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart live interview on ABC Canberra Grandstand:

The players have had to put in a lot of work in the 13 weeks since Christmas, most of the more experienced players didn't start pre season until early January and they've had to squeeze a lot of conditioning into a compressed time frame. We've been able to scale back the conditioning this week and they're now keen to play.

Good to have a big crowd at Canberra Stadium. Players are motivated and enthusiastic to perform for those who come out to support them.

Ryan James and Josh Hodgson returning. I'd love people to really see what these boys have been through, the work they've had to do. Both have gone through two knee reconstructions. Both are fit, very professional, the time and effort they've put in is terrific, the injury is career threatening. So it's great to see them return. Another good story is Seb Kris, after a year out. He's able to step in for Jarrod Croker. He's shown he's prepared and committed and very fit.

Jarrod Croker. It won't be long before he returns, he hasn't been able to do the amount of conditioning work others have, his shoulder is back to full strength. I don't want Jarrod playing at 8 or 9 out of 10. I want him back to 100 per cent.

* This is a summary of the interview, not a transcript. It uses as many of the words and terms used as possible. A podcast of the show will be available this afternoon here: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/p ... s/13064336
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

IBG wrote: March 13, 2021, 10:12 am Geez we were all giving crap to the NZ commentators for saying Papali'i but is that really how it's going to be pronounced now?! :o
Haha. Can't believe you thought the Aussie commentators were the ones doing it right all this time. NZ commentators are trash but I'd always back them to respectfully attempt an accurate pronounciation of surnames.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 13, 2021, 10:55 am
IBG wrote: March 13, 2021, 10:12 am Geez we were all giving crap to the NZ commentators for saying Papali'i but is that really how it's going to be pronounced now?! :o
Haha. Can't believe you thought the Aussie commentators were the ones doing it right all this time. NZ commentators are trash but I'd always back them to respectfully attempt an accurate pronounciation of surnames.
We actually asked the Raiders how he wanted it pronounced... and we were told Papalii. The NRL season guides said the same. Has he asked people change to Papali’i?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Papalii more dangerous with need for speed

Canberra wrecking-ball Josh Papalii has sent an ominous warning to rivals, confident any increase in game speed will only make him harder to stop.

"I thought (the 2020 rules) just suited my game a bit more. The quicker play-the-ball, it isolates defenders more one-on-one. That's more my kind of game, trying to get that one-on-one footy. I back myself to beat most defenders when they are isolated. That's my kind of footy."

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2344975

Simonsson says: Linking with Scott great chance to cement spot

Just staying on the field is the main goal for Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson this year, with Nick Cotric's departure handing him a golden chance to hopefully play a full season.

"Missing pretty much the whole season last year, my main goal first of all is to stay healthy and injury free and string some footy together," said Simonsson. "I've been working pretty hard to get the body right so fingers crossed I can stay injury free and stay on the field."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/sim ... ment-spot/

Canberra Raiders' Josh Hodgson tipped to be No.1 hooker in the world

With "old mate" gone, Jarrod Croker has tipped fellow Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson to assume the mantle of No.1 hooker in the world.

"He's a world-class dummy half and controls our forwards really well, frees up Jacko and George. If we can keep him fit, get games under his belt early, he's one of the world's best dummy halves. Depending if old mate plays again or not, he might be the No.1."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... o1-hooker/

Captain's Run: Raiders v Tigers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-tigers/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Old Mate
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

BJ wrote: March 13, 2021, 8:28 am Not sure if it’s been reported elsewhere on GH. Papalli, CNK and CHN have all officially changed the pronunciation of their names in the NRL media register.
Big Pappa, klook sta and Havanuvadrink’n’driva respectively
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Something in the water tells me we are are about to unload on the Tigers..

Big time..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2021, 11:56 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 13, 2021, 10:55 am
We actually asked the Raiders how he wanted it pronounced... and we were told Papalii. The NRL season guides said the same. Has he asked people change to Papali’i?
Yeah on Twitter Voss said he was fine with the old pronunciation but has now requested it be changed. So can't blame the Aussie commentators on that one.

Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Simonsson says: Linking with Scott great chance to cement spot

Just staying on the field is the main goal for Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson this year, with Nick Cotric's departure handing him a golden chance to hopefully play a full season.

"Missing pretty much the whole season last year, my main goal first of all is to stay healthy and injury free and string some footy together," said Simonsson. "I've been working pretty hard to get the body right so fingers crossed I can stay injury free and stay on the field."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/12/sim ... ment-spot/

Christ, this seems to confirm that Ricky is putting Rapana on the left again this year 🙄 how is it that EVERYONE thinks this is a terrible idea except Rick?

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Two wingers playing on their wrong sides. Bizarre stuff.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders charging into their 40th season

Every game was a big adventure for the inaugural Raiders of 1982. Especially for the country blokes. Trips home were parties. Filled with beer and songs. All the way up the Hume Highway.

"It was like a big adventure for a lot of us, us country blokes," Gilbert said."We were playing against players we'd seen on TV and had them billed up to be superstars in our head. We were such a close bunch of blokes back in the day. We came from everywhere.

‘Those words still motivate me’: Why Leilua is determined to silence Stuart

Joey Leilua wants to prove Ricky Stuart wrong in his first game in Canberra since leaving the club in 2019. Leilua says he still loves the Canberra fans and players, but criticism from Stuart still hurts.

“Those words from Stick [Stuart] about me not being good enough do motivate me,” Leilua said. “I’ve always had a lot of respect for Ricky, but when he said that it hurt me and I want to prove him wrong.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/those- ... 57ac9.html