Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

Post by greeneyed »

We shall see. I can’t imagine the coach is too impressed right now. In fact, we know he’s not: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e1160a8808
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:1) Stating CHN has not really seemed to have made a great start at rehabbing his reputation here isn't some sort of campaign against him.

2) Some of the posters here who are expressing displeasure at his DUI charge are not mixing that up with his play style or playing strengths and weaknesses. They are just peeved some of his actions don't seem to be repaying the faith the club showed &the risk they took, given the controversy- I'll leave the fair and unfair aside as a separate issue because the fact from a club perspective is that signing him came with the risk of some blowback and negativity.

3) By conflating posters with different opinions about CHN's behaviour or his play into some sort of mindless unthinking pitchfork mob it shows a disrespect to them as individual posters. Maybe an unwillingness to engage with or accept different attitudes or ideas. It doesn't come across well. There are some worthwhile facts and opinions being shared by many.

Personally I think he was bought in during a crunch period as an unbelievably good get during the crisis we were in, when we were fishing for any warm forward. His attack will be a real point of difference on the right if he gets the spot.
Yeah agreed, he’s a good pickup, shame he’s now got one strike against his name, looking forward to seeing what he can bring to our attack though.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: March 7, 2021, 4:28 pm Again, what was his last “screw up”?
He had sexual relations by consent with a female of legal age.

Punishable by death - he got lucky.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No point in fishing on “one strike” anymore.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: March 7, 2021, 8:18 pm 1) Stating CHN has not really seemed to have made a great start at rehabbing his reputation here isn't some sort of campaign against him.

2) Some of the posters here who are expressing displeasure at his DUI charge are not mixing that up with his play style or playing strengths and weaknesses. They are just peeved some of his actions don't seem to be repaying the faith the club showed &the risk they took, given the controversy- I'll leave the fair and unfair aside as a separate issue because the fact from a club perspective is that signing him came with the risk of some blowback and negativity.

3) By conflating posters with different opinions about CHN's behaviour or his play into some sort of mindless unthinking pitchfork mob it shows a disrespect to them as individual posters. Maybe an unwillingness to engage with or accept different attitudes or ideas. It doesn't come across well. There are some worthwhile facts and opinions being shared by many.

Personally I think he was bought in during a crunch period as an unbelievably good get during the crisis we were in, when we were fishing for any warm forward. His attack will be a real point of difference on the right if he gets the spot.
Yes, but that’s not how some posters roll I guess.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 7, 2021, 4:28 pm Again, what was his last “screw up”?
He had sexual relations by consent with a female of legal age.

Punishable by death - he got lucky.
The horror! Why did we pick up such an obvious basket case of a player? It seemed obvious to me that it was only a matter of time before a guy with that sort of history would *checks notes* get done drink driving!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: March 7, 2021, 8:18 pm 1) Stating CHN has not really seemed to have made a great start at rehabbing his reputation here isn't some sort of campaign against him.

1. No one is disputing CHN and Hors (remember him?) let themselves, the team and coaching staff down with their irresponsible actions.

2. There is no conflating the two issues. They seperate issues but ones often used hand in hand by people who marked his card long ago. And if pointing that out comes across as disrespectful so be it.

To portray this “another” misstep is grossly inaccurate and unfair. He broke some team rules on an away trip, which happens approximately 100% of the time on footy trips. That’s the nature of the beast. The only reason there is controversy at all is because his teammate was hitting on girls at a school visit, which brought his actions into the public sphere. So setting that aside, which is what should be done if people are being fair, we are back to this incident, which is absolutely not on and no one is arguing otherwise... but gee Hors is getting a free run on this? Wonder why...

The people pushing the “CHN is a problem off the field” narrative are generally speaking the same who are already building the narrative about his defence. I’ve been around forums long enough to know how this goes: They don’t like him, and any excuse to chip away at him will do.

If this was solely about his drink driving charge, you’d think at least some of these posters would send some stray bullets Hors’s way.

3. You don’t sign a guy for 3 years to solve a 12 week injury crisis problem. The guy was brought here to replace Bateman. The fact he could come and help us out of a middle jam (a role he played quite well in mind you, despite fitness issues) mid season was icing on the cake.

Let me tell you how this is going to go
CHN is eventually going to be the starting edge for the team.
Regardless of how well he plays, certain posters are going to be very vocal about any defensive error he makes
The volume of that conversation will depend entirely on how the team is performing

Regardless of his level of play and whether he is delivering what he was brought here to do, if we are winning, that conversation will be held a simmer and largely ignore
If our season is not going well, this place tends to land itself a scapegoat pretty quickly. He’ll be that scapegoat
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Let me tell you how this is going to go...

The Raiders will have 17 players in the team.

Regardless of how well they play, posters are going to be critical of any defensive errors mades.

The volume of that conversation will depend entirely on how the team is performing

Regardless of the teams level of play and whether they are delivering what they were signed to do, if we are winning, that conversation will be held a simmer and largely ignore.

If our season is not going well, the fans look harder at deficiencies in the team and try to pinpoint reasons, or even better, offer up solutions. Sometimes, under-performing players are highlighted and criticised. Sometimes the fans will be wrong, not appreciating everything a player brings. Sometimes, they'll be right and the coaches will move that player along or drop them.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: March 8, 2021, 6:43 am
1. No one is disputing CHN and Hors (remember him?) let themselves, the team and coaching staff down with their irresponsible actions.

If this was solely about his drink driving charge, you’d think at least some of these posters would send some stray bullets Hors’s way.
Hors did cop a bit early on- then the thread headed in another direction.

I'd say he's copping less for exactly the logical reason you argue for further up this page, when differentiating Okunbor and CHN. That whilst there was misbehaviour by both, the degrees differ. I agree with that interpretation of culpability.

One was done after waiting and still blew low range. One blew high range on the same evening he'd been drinking all day. They met different legal categories of offence. It literally could not be clearer why one might cop more grief- even without delving into pasts. Why criticise posters for using the same line of reasoning you used yourself for Okunbor and CHN?

In light of that, it doesn't really make sense to criticise people for not criticising Hors enough when you already think they are unfairly criticising CHN.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

1. No posters wont be critical of any defensive error from any player. History will show that defensive errors are largely glossed over unless it's someone already maligned (fairly or unfairly) for that part of their game. Which is how Elliott Whitehead ends the 2021 season top 5 in the league for Try Causes and no one bats an eyelid

2. The point is, posters will look to pinpoint reasons and they tend to pin them on players they already had some issues with. Whether that's fair or not (spoiler alert, it almost always isnt)... the die is cast there, as people already have "issues" with CHN, most of them unfair... and so that's where this will be headed.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I just don’t understand why Botman is allowed to raise concerns about the attack or defence of Raiders players, but other posters aren’t allowed to raise similar concerns about a select few players Botman hangs his hat on?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: March 8, 2021, 7:44 am Hors did cop a bit early on- then the thread headed in another direction.

I'd say he's copping less for exactly the logical reason you argue for further up this page, when differentiating Okunbor and CHN. That whilst there was misbehaviour by both, the degrees differ. I agree with that interpretation of culpability.

One was done after waiting and still blew low range. One blew high range on the same evening he'd been drinking all day. They met different legal categories of offence. It literally could not be clearer why one might cop more grief- even without delving into pasts. Why criticise posters for using the same line of reasoning you used yourself for Okunbor and CHN?

In light of that, it doesn't really make sense to criticise people for not criticising Hors enough when you already think they are unfairly criticising CHN.
Yeah the degrees do differ and there should be a disparity in level of criticism... but it's not aligned at all. Hors has gotten a free pass basically, and CHN is being characterised as a major off field issue. It would not be fair to say Hors crime was as bad as CHN's but we're swinging too far the other way. And why are we doing that?

Because we all like (the royal 'we' as in this forum generally speaking) Hors, his apporval rating with us is pretty damn high. CHN doesnt get that luxary, so he's treated different. Which is unfair and that's why i point it out.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2021, 7:51 am I just don’t understand why Botman is allowed to raise concerns about the attack or defence of Raiders players, but other posters aren’t allowed to raise similar concerns about a select few players Botman hangs his hat on?
I'll provide an answer to that as soon as you highlight the post in which i said you're not allowed to raise the concern of his defence.

Im more than happy for anyone to raise his defence as a potential issue and we can debate the merits of that. What i am not happy is for people who have concerns about his defence, to then pile on to try and strengthen their concerns about CHN by mischaractorising him based off one mistake off the field with his DD charge, and then trying to weave in his bulldogs departure as some kind of sustained pattern of behaviour. I dont think that's fair and ill call it out.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: March 8, 2021, 7:51 am I just don’t understand why Botman is allowed to raise concerns about the attack or defence of Raiders players, but other posters aren’t allowed to raise similar concerns about a select few players Botman hangs his hat on?
I'll provide an answer to that as soon as you highlight the post in which i said you're not allowed to raise the concern of his defence.

Im more than happy for anyone to raise his defence as a potential issue and we can debate the merits of that. What i am not happy is for people who have concerns about his defence, to then pile on to try and strengthen their concerns about CHN by mischaractorising him based off one mistake off the field with his DD charge, and then trying to weave in his bulldogs departure as some kind of sustained pattern of behaviour. I dont think that's fair and ill call it out.
Re-read all your posts of the last day and try and understand how others might interpret what you are saying.

It’s certainly the way it comes across to me, if it’s not what you mean to be saying.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: March 7, 2021, 3:18 pm
julian87 wrote: March 7, 2021, 1:39 pm Where does the 86% rank? And you’d think that would increase in a better defensive team as well.
The best tackle efficiency rate in 2020 for forwards was 96 per cent (middles, obviously, dominate this statistic). This year 21 forwards had an 86 per cent tackle efficiency rate or lower. That's roughly the bottom 10 per cent of the forwards cohort.

There were 13 second rowers with an 86 per cent tackle efficiency rate in 2020, That was the bottom 15 per cent of the second row cohort.

Elliott Whitehead had 10 try causes in 2020, the most at the club. Corey Harawira-Naera and Dunamis Lui were equal second with three. It is much tougher defending on the edge. To put those numbers in context, Elliott Whitehead played 1738 minutes in 2020, Lui 740 and Harawira-Naera 330.

I agree it may be something CHN can work on and improve. But he's not middle of the pack in terms of defence.
Good post, appreciate the through reply.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: March 7, 2021, 7:40 pm The facts are inconvenient I know, for someone who told us CHN was a “middle of the pack” defender. He’s not, based on the numbers for the past two seasons. I’m sure he can improve if he works hard on it and I hope he does. But he’s actually got to get himself into the team first, given his two game suspension. He certainly needs to be better than the bottom 10-15 percent of forwards in defence. We know what the coach wants these days.
Ah but this is where stats can tell whatever story you want.

His last 2 seasons were:

- Playing half a season sorely out of position and severely underdone. I must have said it 20 times on here but his 2020 is a deadset write off. He’s more a centre than he is a middle forward yet he came in and helped the injury ravaged team reach a prelim.

- Playing on an edge for one of the worst teams in the competition.

We can say he needs to improve on the last 2 seasons. But there’s almost no chance he actually won’t if he comes in t second row in this side.

Also re-reading stats posts it seems to indicate the second rowers grouped number 90 blokes. Realistically to rid outliers it shouldn’t be any more than about 50 once you rid it of 1-3 game outliers and dual position players with only 32 starters each round.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

My eyes tell me that the vast majority of CHNs issues in defence will be fixed through a combination of fitness, playing in position and having confidence in our system.

Most of his bad misses were due to uneccesarily rushing out of the line and being isolated, or trying to put on a hit and missing the mark. As has previously been pointed out - like Leilua at his worst.

I have ZERO doubt in my mind those issues will be fixed while playing in a top 4 quality team.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 8, 2021, 9:37 am My eyes tell me that the vast majority of CHNs issues in defence will be fixed through a combination of fitness, playing in position and having confidence in our system.

Most of his bad misses were due to uneccesarily rushing out of the line and being isolated, or trying to put on a hit and missing the mark. As has previously been pointed out - like Leilua at his worst.

I have ZERO doubt in my mind those issues will be fixed while playing in a top 4 quality team.
Are you saying they won't be fixed or they will?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: March 8, 2021, 9:52 am
Seiffert82 wrote: March 8, 2021, 9:37 am My eyes tell me that the vast majority of CHNs issues in defence will be fixed through a combination of fitness, playing in position and having confidence in our system.

I'm saying they will, once he consistently plays in his preferred position and gets confidence in our defensive structures.

The DUI suspension didn't do him any favours unfortunately.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 8, 2021, 1:56 pm
The Nickman wrote: March 8, 2021, 9:52 am

I'm saying they will, once he consistently plays in his preferred position and gets confidence in our defensive structures.

The DUI suspension didn't do him any favours unfortunately.
Yeah, roger that. I read your last comment over and over before and for some reason couldn't figure it out!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Great post BnM. Point #3 is why you don’t get a lot of new posters sticking around the GH. Its an echo chamber. And its the same old blow hards who are convinced their position is always the correct one and never allow any consideration of alternative opinion. Pretty dull stuff.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Less publicised, but CHN was essentially punted from Penrith for lacking professionalism.

The Canterbury thing - I actually have some sympathy for how he was treated given the “crime”, but again he’s in his first year at a new club and he’s put himself and his club in a compromised position unnecessarily. That belongs on a rap sheet because of the effects of his actions... regardless of what the amateur QC’s on here will try and strawman
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:19 pm Great post BnM. Point #3 is why you don’t get a lot of new posters sticking around the GH. Its an echo chamber. And its the same old blow hards who are convinced their position is always the correct one and never allow any consideration of alternative opinion. Pretty dull stuff.
Yeah I like most of the posters I often disagree with here though. Goody footy brains that challenge my own thinking. It's just you can only engage when you have the energy. Probably some don't stick around for that reason you mention. If I wasn't already invested in the place - through time and realising Gh good points- I guess some mightn't bother.

I would give credit to the posters here for generally welcoming new posters too. I think if people see a person has only a handful of posts to their name here, they generally are very welcoming and moderate their comments a bit. but if someone has been around for years then it's more game on.

I also wonder - with absolutely no research or indication or data- if message boards aren't a dated format. They are what I - a bloke in my early 40s- seek out when I want to have a reasonably in depth read but also have some input. I have my doubts anyone 25 and under has ever used a message board and doesn't just do all their opinionating and casual fandom on social media or reddit or something.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:42 pm
Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:19 pm Great post BnM. Point #3 is why you don’t get a lot of new posters sticking around the GH. Its an echo chamber. And its the same old blow hards who are convinced their position is always the correct one and never allow any consideration of alternative opinion. Pretty dull stuff.
Yeah I like most of the posters I often disagree with here though. Goody footy brains that challenge my own thinking. It's just you can only engage when you have the energy. Probably some don't stick around for that reason you mention. If I wasn't already invested in the place - through time and realising Gh good points- I guess some mightn't bother.

I would give credit to the posters here for generally welcoming new posters too. I think if people see a person has only a handful of posts to their name here, they generally are very welcoming and moderate their comments a bit. but if someone has been around for years then it's more game on.

I also wonder - with absolutely no research or indication or data- if message boards aren't a dated format. They are what I - a bloke in my early 40s- seek out when I want to have a reasonably in depth read but also have some input. I have my doubts anyone 25 and under has ever used a message board and doesn't just do all their opinionating and casual fandom on social media or reddit or something.
I have to say I use reddit a lot more than message boards these days, I probably only post on two message boards (this being one of them).

I also have to say I like most of the posters on this board, just because we disagree on topics (and honestly, what's the point if we don't?), doesn't mean I don't like you. Can't really think of anyone I strongly dislike, maybe just gangrenous?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:56 pm
I have to say I use reddit a lot more than message boards these days, I probably only post on two message boards (this being one of them).

I also have to say I like most of the posters on this board, just because we disagree on topics (and honestly, what's the point if we don't?), doesn't mean I don't like you. Can't really think of anyone I strongly dislike, maybe just gangrenous?
I just don't really like the upvoting format on reddit. I like chronological and making my own decisions on what I want to reply or give weight to and scroll through and understand or skip that way. If anything, Reddits format is even more conducive to "pitchforkism" than a message board.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: March 8, 2021, 5:21 pm
The Nickman wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:56 pm

I just don't really like the upvoting format on reddit. I like chronological and making my own decisions on what I want to reply or give weight to and scroll through and understand or skip that way. If anything, Reddits format is even more conducive to "pitchforkism" than a message board.
The other users on Reddit seems a lot less recognisable... I post on about five or six subreddit, I can't say I've ever recognised another poster again.

Unlike here where you're all just *****... gangrenous especially
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

Post by gangrenous »

Why does “ridiculously good looking intelligent guys” get censored?

Edit - oh wait, it didn’t when I typed it...

Oh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Reddit boards are an interesting beast, I am on some subreddits to read but rarely comment, I agree the upvote system is not to my liking

I don’t think hyper specific boards like this are going away anytime soon though, there is really still no better format to discuss the intricate details of a niche passion quite like a forum imo
Even better when they don’t have Gangrenous, who we all hate now
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:24 pm Less publicised, but CHN was essentially punted from Penrith for lacking professionalism.
I understand a lot of public narratives in rugby league aren’t spot on. A good example is Paul Vaughan’s departure from Canberra. The false narrative can become quite annoying eventually.

Rarely though is the public narrative the complete opposite as it is suggested here.

I’m not dismissing this but Gould was always glowing in his appraisal of CHN. It was very much that Penrith could not stand in the way of such a career changing offer that Canterbury offered. He was also quite famously moved to tears sharing his story (along with JFH) when the club farewelled him.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:
Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:24 pm Less publicised, but CHN was essentially punted from Penrith for lacking professionalism.
I understand a lot of public narratives in rugby league aren’t spot on. A good example is Paul Vaughan’s departure from Canberra. The false narrative can become quite annoying eventually.

Rarely though is the public narrative the complete opposite as it is suggested here.

I’m not dismissing this but Gould was always glowing in his appraisal of CHN. It was very much that Penrith could not stand in the way of such a career changing offer that Canterbury offered. He was also quite famously moved to tears sharing his story (along with JFH) when the club farewelled him.
Strike three, Rickmando! Hit the sheds, pal!
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

I’ve got a bit more to base it on than old Gus’s media spin, but perspectives will differ.

Look if he plays good footy and stays out of trouble, I’ll be happy for him and it will look like a good move getting him on board. But I have a lot of doubts at this point, and if I was a decision maker my call would be punting him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rickmando wrote: March 9, 2021, 9:34 am I’ve got a bit more to base it on than old Gus’s media spin, but perspectives will differ.

Fair enough. I’d imagine it’s some from column a, some from column b then.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Corey Harawira-Naera caught driving on Christmas Day after up to 17 drinks

Corey Harawira-Naera has been convicted, fined $250 and disqualified from driving for three months when he pleaded guilty in the ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday to a drink-driving charge.

He celebrated Christmas Eve with Corey Horsburgh and others at Assembly in Braddon before moving on to Fiction nightclub. He consumed about 17 drinks between about 6.30pm on Christmas Eve and 3am the next morning.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders’ Corey Harawira-Naera says sorry for driving after up to 17 drinks: https://the-riotact.com/raiders-corey-h ... nks/449475
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He apparently decided to drive after they he and three friends couldn't fit in one Uber... and the magistrate suggested that "two Ubers would've been a lot cheaper than a $10,000 fine". Licence suspension already served. Tough lesson. Presume he'll be back in NSW Cup next week, if he's not permitted to play this weekend.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

What a **** idiot.