2021 season predictions and previews

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: 2021 season predictions and previews

Post by BJ »

IBG wrote:Sterlo thinks 90% chance we are Top 4 and 100% chance we are in the Top 8. He said "I'm a Raiders fan".

No wonder Channel 9 ignore Sterlo.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I like those odds!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:I've rarely seen a player dismissed by the fans so easily as Dunamis Lui.
Agreed, it’s absolutely ludicrous how badly our own fan base underrates the guy

Fantastic player, and current origin rep. He’ll be starting
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: March 3, 2021, 5:01 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:I've rarely seen a player dismissed by the fans so easily as Dunamis Lui.
Agreed, it’s absolutely ludicrous how badly our own fan base underrates the guy

Fantastic player, and current origin rep. He’ll be starting
Worth unpacking in it's entirety. He was dropped last season iirc and I thought correctly so. He was getting smashed and making no yards.

What he came back with later in the year was very good. He was chewing up 100m a game, making steals whereas previously they'd been drops or penalties, he made his tackles and had a but of energy. I'd take late season Lui as my budget prop anytime. I've got him in my 17 for round 1.

But I wouldn't have what he was delivering early season or at times in the past. Not that ludicrous when the coach also dropped him. He's a guy who at his best delivers solid 7s every week. And he does it with no fuss, no drama and at the right price. Absolutely love that. If he slips to delivering 6's though... we are stacked.

What was awesome is that when we needed him, he rolled a couple of 8s last year and grew as a player. If that Lui turns up he'll be one of the first on the sheet all year and he HAS earnt the right to start the season and keep his spot imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2021, 10:00 pm Vossy’s NRL crystal ball: Top eight, runner up and premiers for season 2021

Check out Vossy’s Top 8 below:

1 Melbourne Storm (Premier)
2 South Sydney Rabbitohs (Runner-up)
3 Sydney Roosters
4 Parramatta Eels
5 Penrith Panthers
6 Canberra Raiders
7 Manly Sea Eagles
8 Gold Coast Titans

Read more and listen: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/16/ ... ason-2021/

Showing Rabbitohs bias there.
Vossy, put away the glass pipe
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Post by Lobby »

A quick fire Raiders season preview podcast for those interested

http://leaguebythefireplace.com/podcast ... a-raiders/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

History, facilities and a winning roster; the Green Machine can go all the way
David Riccio

Want to know why the Canberra Raiders will win this year’s NRL premiership? Across the top of Raiders forward Joseph Tapine’s locker is the name of club legend Bradley Clyde. The last thing that Canberra halfback George Williams sees before he shuts his locker each day, is the name of three-time premiership-winning Raider and one of the greatest hooker‘s of all-time, Steve Walters.

History means little at some other footy clubs. At the Raiders, it’s everything.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 8caabae597
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Good article... i have some questions about the "Raiders legends" on the lockers in the photo posted
But that's minor quibbling and frankly some PTSD playing up

Guys, im really feeling very good about this year. The concerns for me are can we find enough strike out wide, and are the margins too thin to win a premiership without a ball playing fullback?

That's it. I think we're a REALLY good chance to win the comp this year and if we dont, i suspect it will be because of one of the two issues above raised.

Im ready to get hurt again
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I loved the article, and not least because it featured The GH's pics of the Centre of Excellence. :)

They could have easily used more recent ones as well from our Facebook and Instagram...

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Whenever I am super psyched about an upcoming season during the offseason, we underperform.

Whenever I switch off for those 6 months and don't psyche myself up at all we seem to go well.

I am pleased to announce that this year it is the latter so we shall be winning the chip this year.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Drought report: 10 teams aiming to bust decade-plus dry spells

Raiders 27 years

The Green Machine have flown under the radar when it comes to teams copping heat for long premiership droughts. The kings of the 80s, Parramatta, are always in the firing line, while very little latitude is given to clubs like Brisbane and the Dragons.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/07/dro ... ry-spells/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Whenever I am super psyched about an upcoming season during the offseason, we underperform.

Whenever I switch off for those 6 months and don't psyche myself up at all we seem to go well.

I am pleased to announce that this year it is the latter so we shall be winning the chip this year.
For the third season in a row I’m supremely confident of us having a good year before a ball has even been kicked.

Provided we don’t have any serious injury crisis and all our key personnel are on board coming into the finals, we’re going to be a VERY good shot at winning this whole thing.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

ONE WEEK FROM NOW WE'RE GOING TO THE MOON, BABY!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

DIAMOND DEFENCE! HOLD!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I like our early season draw too, **** LOVE Sunday games and a game on the Gold Coast first weekend and Townsville last weekend of April is going to be amazing.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

I've got a good feeling we'll be top 4.
There will be losses in games we should win. But we'll win heaps too.

In the end as long as we're healthy in August we'll be sweet.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God im excited for this year.
There is some questions to answer, all the top teams have them, but this is a real why not us season
I really think this could be the year for us. As above, if we're going into september healthy, we're as good a shot at any.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

My biggest question is how we fill the void of that certain something John Bateman seemed to provide, but I think with the spine we’ve got now and the depth in our forward pack we can certainly do that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My biggest concern is when we get the pointy end of the season, can we reliably get to 22+points without a ball playing fullback

If Hodgson and the halves can be creative enough to conjure up 4 tries per game agianst the best of the best without basic structure of sweep plays, then we're on like donkey kong
If they cant, we're going to need a lot of luck. We cant win when it counts on our own merits. We'll need one of our superstars to take a game over and win it for us when it counts.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: March 7, 2021, 8:27 pm Image
This is my 2021 feels
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2021, 8:09 pm God im excited for this year.
There is some questions to answer, all the top teams have them, but this is a real why not us season
I really think this could be the year for us. As above, if we're going into september healthy, we're as good a shot at any.
CNK and the backs are my only worry. We're unquestionably dynamite everywhere else.

That I look across the backs depth chart and not see at least one or two stars there, real game breakers who have proven ability to compete at the highest level, is a little concerning. I think there's a bit riding on guys like Timoko, HSS, Valemei, and Kris to see if one or more of them can really break out, like first season Nico. It could make our season.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: March 7, 2021, 8:38 pm
Botman wrote: March 7, 2021, 8:09 pm God im excited for this year.
CNK and the backs are my only worry. We're unquestionably dynamite everywhere else.

That I look across the backs depth chart and not see at least one or two stars there, real game breakers who have proven ability to compete at the highest level, is a little concerning. I think there's a bit riding on guys like Timoko, HSS, Valemei, and Kris to see if one or more of them can really break out, like first season Nico. It could make our season.
I don’t know how it breaks out but I do think we’re gonna get enough out of 2-5

Think between raps, Croker, Scott, simo, semi, hss, timoko and Kris we are going to be ok. Not league leading but ok.
I really think the season will hinge on CNK developing as a ball player or our ability in the 9,6 and 7 to create and overcome that
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Hard to see us missing the 8, but also hard to see us improving enough to win a premiership IMO.

Hodgson is a big IN, but that's definitely offset by the losses of Bateman and to a lesser extent Cotric.

Like most, I think our outside backs situation is a little worrying. Croker and Scott both need to deliver more this season, while I think Simonsson should get the nod over Valemei.

I love Rapana, but this is his final chance to show he still has what it takes. Looked slow last year, wouldn't be surprised to see him drop out of the 17 later in season.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

People can saying batemans a huge out, they keep forgetting he barely played at all last yesr and when he did, he was b grade, having him gone wont be an excuse, not having his circus around might acturally be good for the boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah we made the Prelims last year with Johnny B performing at about 70% of his best. I dont think he was ever really healthy. I dont think his loss is going to impact us greatly
BJ
Steve Walters

2021 season predictions and previews

Post by BJ »

I thought Bateman had a few magic moments when we didn’t have any other way of breaking the line last season. But they were few and far between compared to 2019. I’m certainly concerned we are missing the X factor of Bateman and BJ Leluia. Hopefully there’s a breakout performance coming from somewhere.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd rather have players who actually want to be at the club. John Bateman clearly didn't want to be. I know he's great mates with the other players, and there's a lot of love for him. But he also caused a lot of disruption, including in the 2019 Grand Final week... and, it is probably best for him and us that he's returned to Wigan. I'm quite happy with the options available at the club to replace him. No one is irreplaceable, but second rowers in particular aren't irreplaceable.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Something interesting about our draw, we play on Sunday the first two rounds before not playing another Sunday game for the rest of the season.

Not sure if this really impacts us. When we were more of a dynamic attacking unit I would have wanted more day footy, but in our current style I don't think it matters.

Bizarre that we have 22 games in a row not on a Sunday though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

tommyhud9 wrote: March 9, 2021, 11:33 am Something interesting about our draw, we play on Sunday the first two rounds before not playing another Sunday game for the rest of the season.

Not sure if this really impacts us. When we were more of a dynamic attacking unit I would have wanted more day footy, but in our current style I don't think it matters.

Oh that SUCKS, I love Sunday games!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:
tommyhud9 wrote: March 9, 2021, 11:33 am Something interesting about our draw, we play on Sunday the first two rounds before not playing another Sunday game for the rest of the season.

Oh that SUCKS, I love Sunday games!
Raiders have a Sunday game on the 3rd of October

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Botman wrote: March 8, 2021, 7:34 pm Yeah we made the Prelims last year with Johnny B performing at about 70% of his best. I dont think he was ever really healthy. I dont think his loss is going to impact us greatly
I've banged on about this before, but it's the intangibles that will be missed.

The way he dragged other players to higher standards. The team picked up dramatically when he returned last year, despite him not having a major playing impact.

Someone has to step up to continue this. I think it will be Ryan James - I think he was a targeted signing to do just that.

If that happens, the Raiders will finish top. I'm not sure there's enough inspiration or X factor to win the GF, but there might be enough to get there and have another team lose it.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

MrPosh wrote: March 11, 2021, 9:22 pm
Botman wrote: March 8, 2021, 7:34 pm Yeah we made the Prelims last year with Johnny B performing at about 70% of his best. I dont think he was ever really healthy. I dont think his loss is going to impact us greatly
I've banged on about this before, but it's the intangibles that will be missed.

The way he dragged other players to higher standards. The team picked up dramatically when he returned last year, despite him not having a major playing impact.

Someone has to step up to continue this. I think it will be Ryan James - I think he was a targeted signing to do just that.

If that happens, the Raiders will finish top. I'm not sure there's enough inspiration or X factor to win the GF, but there might be enough to get there and have another team lose it.
That's Hodgson for me.

I think we sorely missed his leadership qualities and ability in that Storm final to compose us and try lead us back into it. He seems to be the biggest voice on the field, the on-field coach, the guy who sets the standard.

You only have to remember to the Souths Prelim of 2019 to see what kind of effect he had on us in such a big game. Guy was in absolutely everything - no way we would've won without him.