St George Illawarra Dragons 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: St George Illawarra Dragons 2021

Post by zim »

Haha the ol' you only have free speech if you allow fascists to have their say approach.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Hear, hear GE

I mean, I don’t follow what goes on in the courts. I just want to see de Belin play...
I don’t read history books, but I just want to see Adolf Hitler recognised for how successful the 1936 Olympics were.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Only a tweet at the moment but it is a smorgasbord of hilarity. McCullough to the dragons..... for 3 years. Which quality hooker will the broncos be replacing him with.... Danny Levi. There are no winners here.

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Cameron McInnes ruptured ACL out for the season.

St George Illawarra Dragons Cameron McInnes' season may be over after tearing ACL

Dragons star Cameron McInnes has suffered a ruptured ACL that will rule him out of the 2021 season and end his career in the Red V.

McInnes is understood to have gone down with a knee injury at training on Friday with scans confirming the serious injury and that surgery would be required.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/12/mci ... aring-acl/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They'd be a lock for the spoon now, surely

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

They stink..

I’ll call it now, Griffin won’t see out his contract.

What a shambles.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think there's still some talent in them and I don't think they'll get the spoon. I don't think much of Griffin as a coach, as far as strategy but he will get them fit and playing a structured way and they may do better than most expect.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:I think there's still some talent in them and I don't think they'll get the spoon. I don't think much of Griffin as a coach, as far as strategy but he will get them fit and playing a structured way and they may do better than most expect.

Griffin is another Matt Elliot of coaches. Probably get some average people improving through better commitment but never gonna reach the pinnacle.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ironically he has Matt Elliott as his assistant

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

If these guys aren't spooning who is?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:If these guys aren't spooning who is?
**** the Broncos.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

zim wrote: February 13, 2021, 9:46 pm If these guys aren't spooning who is?
Sharks will go close imo.

Only about 4 regulars whose best footy isn’t behind them.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:

fifita will be interesting with the weight drop, he was badly out of shape last year

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sharks, Broncos, Bulldogs and Saints you would expect in the bottom 4. Injuries and luck probably determines the spoon.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m picking Bulldogs as a surprise packet this year.

The other 3 I agree, and boy I hope so...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm not convinced on Barrett. They've upgraded a few positions but their spine is still pretty ordinary.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough signs with St George Illawarra Dragons until end of 2023

St George Illawarra have sealed a three-year deal for Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough to join the club immediately. After sitting out of Broncos training since Thursday, McCullough’s move was confirmed on Monday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/15/mcc ... d-of-2023/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

3 year deal. Ugh.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gangrenous wrote: February 14, 2021, 10:50 am I’m picking Bulldogs as a surprise packet this year.

I can’t see them getting themselves out of the bottom 4 while they don’t have NRL standard halves or hooker.

If they trade someone for Burton; maybe, but even then you’d think they’d lack too much experience there to win a lot of games.

And while they have a tough pack it’s a pretty uninspiring back row creatively.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: February 14, 2021, 6:28 am

They're certainly on the decline but I think there's enough there to win enough games to avoid the spoon conversation. Hamlin-Uele and Rudolph will be better for another year in first grade. Katoa and Mulitalo have got upside. Even in the halves their depth will be better than previous years. Trindall is actually creative. In previous years they had front line halves then nothing but makeshift or fill-ins.
Will be interesting to see how their more experienced big boys handle the faster rules. Woods and Fifita could be exposed defensively. As much as he is a plodder Tolman is a good signing for them because the sharks are big on attack and lacking in middle defense. He's a good defender.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

julian87 wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 14, 2021, 10:50 am I’m picking Bulldogs as a surprise packet this year.

I can’t see them getting themselves out of the bottom 4 while they don’t have NRL standard halves or hooker.

If they trade someone for Burton; maybe, but even then you’d think they’d lack too much experience there to win a lot of games.

I reckon Flanagan can make a difference in their halves. Be out to prove the Roosters wrong for scapegoating him I reckon.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
julian87 wrote:

I reckon Flanagan can make a difference in their halves. Be out to prove the Roosters wrong for scapegoating him I reckon.
He is too young to be a big difference maker IMO. Whether they partner him up with Lewis or Averillo it's not going to be pretty. I do think that Averillo is a better option because he actually has a running game. I think Flanagan was unfairly scapegoated by the chooks but if he can't look semi-decent accompanying Keary in the halves - with a good forward pack - he will struggle at the Dogs.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Averillo is injured for 4-8 weeks so they'll probably start the season with Lewis or Wakeham.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Just to remind myself.... the broncos are still terrible.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: February 15, 2021, 6:13 pm
gangrenous wrote:
julian87 wrote:

He is too young to be a big difference maker IMO. Whether they partner him up with Lewis or Averillo it's not going to be pretty. I do think that Averillo is a better option because he actually has a running game. I think Flanagan was unfairly scapegoated by the chooks but if he can't look semi-decent accompanying Keary in the halves - with a good forward pack - he will struggle at the Dogs.

Averillo is a better option because he's not the worst half to play more than 10 games in the NRL era.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 15, 2021, 6:13 pm
gangrenous wrote:
julian87 wrote:

Averillo is a better option because he's not the worst half to play more than 10 games in the NRL era.
I think Hampton at the cows was more a 5/8 but he'd be in the same conversation.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New captain Ben Hunt focused on leading St George Illawarra Dragons 'back where they belong'

St George Illawarra have confirmed that Ben Hunt will captain the club ahead of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership.

"The last few seasons haven't been what has come to be expected of St George Illawarra. I'm focused on leading the Dragons back to where they belong in this competition as premiership heavyweights.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/19/new ... ey-belong/

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02 ... s-captain/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

premiership heavyweights ?

Fair go Ben..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Think the dragons may struggle this year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: February 19, 2021, 6:04 pm premiership heavyweights ?

Fair go Ben..
Signing Andrew Fifita?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rising rookie Cody Ramsey re-signs with St George Illawarra Dragons to end 2024

St George Illawarra have announced that Cody Ramsey has re-signed with the Dragons for a further three seasons, until at least the end of the 2024.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/ris ... ith-red-v/

Club statement

St George Illawarra have announced that Cody Ramsey has re-signed with the Dragons for a further three seasons, until at least the end of the 2024.

Ramsey made his NRL debut in Round 18 last year and went on to play three first grade games by season end.

The NRL Perth Nines Rookie of the Tournament will now be on the hunt to secure a Round 1 backline berth during Saturday's Charity Shield clash against the Rabbitohs.

"I'm stoked to remain a Dragon for the next few years. I've had a great journey getting to this point in my career and it means a whole lot to my whole family that I've managed to secure my future in the Red V," Ramsey said.

"I still have a lot more improvement and learning in me. That's something that has been drilled into me by all my coaches which I can appreciate. I can't wait to develop further and better myself over the coming years."

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said Ramsey is a player who Red V members, partners and fans should be excited about.

"Cody showed a great desire to remain a Dragon, which is very important for a proud organisation such as St George Illawarra," Haran said.

"We identified a number of years ago that Cody had great potential and we're starting to see him deliver on that now in the top squad.

"To see a quality player and person like Cody come through our junior representative pathway is another pleasing aspect to his retention.

"Cody's ability to play in numerous positions will hold him in good stead over the upcoming season and beyond."

Ramsey's re-signing follows the signings of Andrew McCullough, Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird and Poasa Faamausili and the retention of Mat and Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Adam Clune, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign.

St George Illawarra Dragons media
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

We almost made this hippie look like a GOAT.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:We almost made this hippie look like a GOAT.

No we didn't. Valemei made a few defensive errors and then the commentators went overboard, because of hair. I'd be intrigued to hear where Ramsey sits on Fui's hair scale?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: February 26, 2021, 7:24 pm We almost made this hippie look like a GOAT.

He’s a plodder and will fit right in with his plodder mates..
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote:
dubby wrote:We almost made this hippie look like a GOAT.

No we didn't. Valemei made a few defensive errors and then the commentators went overboard, because of hair. I'd be intrigued to hear where Ramsey sits on Fui's hair scale?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Well, that was kinda my point.

But yeah, they did go nuts because of hair.

At least it wasn't a man bun.