Roosters 13+
7%

Total votes: 15

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Trial V Roosters: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman backs Hudson Young to shine for Canberra Raiders

Hudson Young gets his first taste of football this Saturday in the Raiders' Seiffert Oval trial match. He's aiming to fill the Green Machine's vacant second row spot. Young's main competitor for the position, Corey Harawira-Naera, will be on the sidelines, as he waits to make a court appearance for driving under the influence. Co-captain Josh Hodgson will also return from an ACL injury in the trial.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL PRE-SEASON TRIALS

Saturday: Canberra Raiders v Sydney Roosters at 4pm; Canberra Raiders v North Sydney Bears at 2pm. Both games at Seiffert Oval.

Canberra Raiders NRL trial squad: Caleb Aekins, Elijah Anderson, Adam Cook, Matt Frawley, Emre Guler, Siliva Havili, Josh Hodgson, Albert Hopoate, Corey Horsburgh, Ryan James, Seb Kris, Dunamis Lui, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Kai O'Donnell, Josh Papalii, Jordan Rapana, Harry Rushton, Curtis Scott, Harley Smith-Shields, Bailey Simonsson, Sia Soliola, Tom Starling, Ryan Sutton, Joseph Tapine, Leo Thompson, Matt Timoko, Semi Valemei, Elliott Whitehead, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Sam Williams, Hudson Young.

Canberra Raiders NSW Cup trial squad: Caleb Aekins, Elijah Anderson, Adam Cook, Matt Frawley, Emre Guler, Siliva Havili, Albert Hopoate, Corey Horsburgh, Ryan James, Seb Kris, Dunamis Lui, Keaton Meads, Darby Medlyn, Brigham Moeakiola, Kai O'Donnell, Harry Rushton, Brad Schneider, Curtis Scott, Bailey Simonsson, Harley Smith-Shields, Tom Starling, Ryan Sutton, Leo Thompson, Matt Timoko, Adrian Trevilyan, Semi Valemei, Sam Williams
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Interesting that Sia's not in that NSW Cup squad, after the vast majority of us pegged him to be demoted right down the pecking order.

Can only assume he's a lock for the first 17 at this point.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: February 23, 2021, 8:37 pm Interesting that Sia's not in that NSW Cup squad, after the vast majority of us pegged him to be demoted right down the pecking order.

Could be that he's locked into the 17, he's not in mine but i've said a long time now i cant imagine he's not in Stuart's, but it could be also be that Sia is the sort of guy that you trust to have himself ready physically, and there is no need to add miles to his legs given his age and risk anything in a pre season game

I think you're probably right. But if i were making the call, he wouldnt be in the 17 and he also wouldnt be in that team.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's 50 years old and stick already knows what he's got there. The only reason I'd have him in the cup trial is if we were lacking numbers and even then he'd probably kick off then leave the field.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

On Soliola. I’d say he’ll just be nursed workload wise and mentor those who need it. I don’t think he’ll be a walk up start all year but I also don’t think he’ll be forced to play NSW Cup week in and out when not in first grade. That would make the most sense to me considering he’s entering his 16th season of first grade/first class rugby league.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wouldn't shock me too much if the plan was to have Sia in the 17 in the opening rounds, with Ryan James captaining the NSW Cup team to get some game time under his belt after the best part of 2 years out, then all going well they could switch.

Edit: Sam Williams could have the C next to his name too, given he could be more of a mainstay there if no injury in the halves

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: February 23, 2021, 8:42 pm
afgtnk wrote: February 23, 2021, 8:37 pm Interesting that Sia's not in that NSW Cup squad, after the vast majority of us pegged him to be demoted right down the pecking order.

Could be that he's locked into the 17, he's not in mine but i've said a long time now i cant imagine he's not in Stuart's, but it could be also be that Sia is the sort of guy that you trust to have himself ready physically, and there is no need to add miles to his legs given his age and risk anything in a pre season game

I think you're probably right. But if i were making the call, he wouldnt be in the 17 and he also wouldnt be in that team.
He wouldn't be in mine either, but I think the point about being physically ready is the most pertinent here - Sticky will know he's gonna be in better shape than most of the middles come round one, and thus be more reliable in his minutes while others are blowing.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: February 24, 2021, 9:48 am
Botman wrote: February 23, 2021, 8:42 pm

He wouldn't be in mine either, but I think the point about being physically ready is the most pertinent here - Sticky will know he's gonna be in better shape than most of the middles come round one, and thus be more reliable in his minutes while others are blowing.
With Hors and CHN out, im pretty sure he'll be in the 17 come round 1, for the very reasons you mentioned
I also think Julian is hitting on how i'd see his role for me and that being Sia would not be in my top 17 if everyone is healthy, but he'd be my 18th-19th man and going on every trip with the boys, a) because he's a fantastic leader and mentor off the park and b) that physically ready component and him being mature and able to step into the side as a 19th man if one of the forwards is a game day scratch

Assuming a normal distribution of injury and suspension, for me Sia is probably going to get enough game time to stay in shape and play that role in FG, and maybe if we have a prolonged stretch of good fortune, you give him a game or two in NSW Cup to get some runs into his legs.

But the caveat here is im not picking the team, Stuart is. And Stuart might view Sia as a slam dunk, no questions asked bench forward for us every week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roosters team named:

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Josh Morris
4. Joseph Manu
5. Brett Morris
6. Lachlan Lam
7. Drew Hutchison
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Jake Friend
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Angus Crichton
12. Sitili Tupouniua
13. Isaac Liu

14. Nat Butcher
15. Adam Keighran
16. Daniel Saluka-Fifita
17. Lindsay Collins

18. Matt Ikuvalu
19. Egan Butcher
20. Sam Walker
21. Freddy Lussick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Pretty stoked that this is live on tv here in NZ.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

That’s a strong Chooks team, less the halves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hodgson back and ready to roll

It has been a long 10 months, but Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson is back and ready to roll.

He suffered his second ACL injury in the Round 9 clash with the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium at the start of July last year.

But he's now fit and is expecting to play around one half of football in the Green Machine's trial match against the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

"It's been a while. The start of July was my last game. It's been a long road, but it's finally come around. It will be good to get a hit out. I'm just looking to get some minutes in early and just do the basics well," Hodgson said.

"I've been training a good three or four weeks now, in full contact. So I'm ready to go and it's good to be back."

"From the end of December I started doing light contact, and then slowly built that up into full contact."

"You know yourself if you're right, and you know yourself if you're not and I've been right for a fair few weeks now."

"Stick asked me if I wanted to have a go in the trial and I didn't want to say no. I've been feeling good and I've been doing everything."

"Normally in trials, I play about 40 minutes. So when that'll be I'm not too sure. It'll be roughly 40 minutes, maybe go a little bit more, a little bit less, depending what [the coach] has seen, what he needs to out with the team, or me individually."

Hodgson admits that the recovery from his second ACL injury has been much more difficult than the first. The big difference has been mental.

"Different. Probably mentally tougher this time, I think," he said.

"The first time you don't know what to expect so you just take everything as it comes. The second time, you know how long it's going to be, how much work you've got to do to try and get right."

"Sometimes you take two steps forward and two steps back, and you feel like you're not going anywhere."

"I was pretty lucky last year. We had Emre Guler, Corey Horsburgh, Curtis Scott in rehab. So I had a good crew around me. Obviously, it was not good, but it certainly helped training all together, trying to put smiles on each other's faces."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Hodgson feeling good and ready to play: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... y-to-play/

Josh Hodgson backs Corey Horsburgh to fly on Canberra Raiders return

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson has backed Corey Horsburgh to come back flying and push for Maroons jersey after being hit with a driving sanction on Tuesday.

"He'll get through this and be back flying - he's a fantastic player, a future Queenslander I can guarantee. He's got that bit about him. I've been around for a while, I've seen some kids play and he can play."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii keen for fighting Josh Hodgson's return

If there's one Canberra Raider that knows all about fighting, it's Josh Papalii. And he says Josh Hodgson is not one to go down without a fight.

"I think he's ahead of schedule and that's the type of person he is. He's not one to go down without a fight.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Kayo – which is already broadcasting the other eight NRL trials on Saturday and Sunday – has opted to also show the North Sydney Bears v Canberra Raiders reserve grade clash live in order to cash in on the Suaalii hype, while the event will also be streamed on nrl.com, whose feed will be syndicated on the NSWRL website.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/suaali ... 575ga.html
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

yurithe1 wrote: February 24, 2021, 10:55 pm Kayo – which is already broadcasting the other eight NRL trials on Saturday and Sunday – has opted to also show the North Sydney Bears v Canberra Raiders reserve grade clash live in order to cash in on the Suaalii hype, while the event will also be streamed on nrl.com, whose feed will be syndicated on the NSWRL website.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/suaali ... 575ga.html
How good is this? Kayo has been a godsend for sport
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Kayo is the **** best, Jerry. The best!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2021 Trial V Roosters: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by Sid »

Does kayo have a red button I can press to go directly to Suaalii watch?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How to watch Saturday's Canberra Raiders trials on line

You can watch both of the Canberra Raiders trial matches on line this Saturday afternoon via the NRL.com network and Kayo.

The NSW Cup clash between the Raiders and North Sydney Bears kicks off at 2pm, while the NRL trial against the Sydney Roosters commences at 4pm.

Here are the links to the live streams on NRL.com and raiders.com.au:

NSW CUP LIVE STREAMS:

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/nsw-cup-tri ... s-1169800/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... s-v-bears/

NRL LIVE STREAMS: https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/nrl-trials- ... s-1168370/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... -roosters/

Going to Seiffert Oval? Want to know which gate you must enter? What you can and cannot take, under COVID rules? What you need to know in the Game Day guide: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... -roosters/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii's focus returns to Canberra Raiders

Raiders prop Josh Papalii has welcomed a chance to put 100% of his focus back onto the football field after making a winning debut in the boxing ring at the recent rugby league fight night.

"It was hard doing the boxing then the footy training but now it's all 100% on footy and I'm loving being back. The younger boys are making me feel old. I'm loving being back with the boys and training hard."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/25/pug ... o-raiders/

VIDEO: Papalii ready for forward pack test: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... pack-test/

VIDEO: Hodgson confident ahead of return from second ACL injury: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/25/hod ... cl-injury/
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

So glad the footy is back.

Have to say - very surprised Hodgson is playing in the trial. Of course, I have faith in the medical staff - but he mentions starting to do everything contact-wise by the end of December, which is really early post-ACL, given he went down in July. Not sure what surgery he opted for, but they usually recommend 9 months for a hamstring or patella graft. I note both Verrils and Radley, who injured themselves a couple of months before Hodgson, are slated for round 3-4 returns. Given Hodgson’s age and history, I would have thought we would be more conservative. Anyway - hoping he comes through first few rounds with flying colours! He deserves some luck.

The way Hodgson can fit in with Wighton and Williams will define our season. If he can pick and choose his moments more judiciously, particularly in the red zone, we will be very hard to defend against. He should rely on Williams’ shirt kicking game and Wighton’s running game in the opposition 20, and selectively inject a short ball to Papa/Guler/Horsburgh/James when the time is right.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I didn't realize it was so quick. What a machine. He did say stick asked him if he wanted to play and he said yes so he must be pretty confident. I like that stick is also giving these guys the choice. He knows the experienced players are able to make that call. Similar to last year when he was just letting Papalii tell him when he needed to freshen up and choose the starting rotation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

TongueFTW wrote: February 25, 2021, 6:47 pm So glad the footy is back.

Have to say - very surprised Hodgson is playing in the trial. Of course, I have faith in the medical staff - but he mentions starting to do everything contact-wise by the end of December, which is really early post-ACL, given he went down in July. Not sure what surgery he opted for, but they usually recommend 9 months for a hamstring or patella graft. I note both Verrils and Radley, who injured themselves a couple of months before Hodgson, are slated for round 3-4 returns. Given Hodgson’s age and history, I would have thought we would be more conservative. Anyway - hoping he comes through first few rounds with flying colours! He deserves some luck.

The way Hodgson can fit in with Wighton and Williams will define our season. If he can pick and choose his moments more judiciously, particularly in the red zone, we will be very hard to defend against. He should rely on Williams’ shirt kicking game and Wighton’s running game in the opposition 20, and selectively inject a short ball to Papa/Guler/Horsburgh/James when the time is right.
The first two thirds of the field is his territory. That's where he should shine, that's where he should be the general. His skill around the ruck and organisation of our forwards is crucial to us in the battle for territory, and his long kicking game is brilliant. When you watch Smith over the years, this is his domain and his control of it is what makes him so good.

His approach in the final third is what needs to change, and ultimately, where he needs to know his role. Less is definitely more. By utilising his halves more, he makes himself more dangerous, and by extension our forwards. By using his ability to give quick and crisp service from the ruck in the opposition red zone, he makes his halves and by extension backs much more dangerous. His long passing ability out of dummy half is amongst the best I've seen, but it seemed that he seldom used it last season, or anytime he gets too selfish. Starling and Havili don't have that ability that he has.

If he gets this balance right, then I think he's capable of lifting us another level or two and helping to negate the lesser quality of our outside backs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the coach needs to have a very honest and frank conversation with Hodgo regarding the red zone

Tackles 0-3, by all means, do your thing, probe, run the crash, he's got a green light to create as he sees fit, on tackles 4,5 and 6... that's where he needs to pick his spots more and cede control to George Williams and Jack Wighton.

Now of course it will never be as ridgid as that, but that general rule of things i think is a strong starting point. And as aslkmaska said above, will open things up for him in those spots,
The halves and particularly imo, George Williams, needs quality ball in the red zone to do their thing
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'm hoping that the resumption of Ennis' one on one sessions has picked this up and helped to correct it, whether it's personal (Hodgo) or coach driven (Stuart). He seems to have a sharp eye, so I'd doubt he'd miss it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott starting 2021 NRL season with ‘clean slate’

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott has a point to prove coming into the 2021 NRL season.

“I missed half a year last year and had a few hiccups along the way; it’s been a clean slate this year and I’ve just been able to focus on myself and focus on playing football. I’m much happier and feel like I’m a better person from what’s happened. It’s easier to get out there now and connect with everyone.”

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/curtis-sc ... ean-slate/

This knock-on has the Raiders reaching out with Vinnies: https://the-riotact.com/this-knock-on-h ... ies/441445
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson ready for return from injury

Josh Hodgson has declared “age is just a number” ahead of the 31-year-old’s return from injury in a trial against the Sydney Roosters in Canberra on Saturday.

“I’d love to still be playing when I am 36 or 37,” Hodgson said. “Barring obviously freak career-threatening injuries, I think fitness wise the body is still as good as it has ever been and the mind is still as sharp. So while that is the case I am still planning to be around for a while.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 1f8d2243e4
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

On Scott. I reckon Stuart’s out there selection to start the year might be to have the young fellas starting round 1 in the centres with Scott in reserve grade.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'll reserve my judgement on Hodgson until Simo tells us what to think.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 26, 2021, 7:26 am I'll reserve my judgement on Hodgson until Simo tells us what to think.
You were right all along seif. An international hooker who has made his mark off being smart around the ruck engaging markers and making the forwards roll on forward should change into a running dh or just pass it off the deck. Especially with our world class forward pack. Definitely dont try and work anything for them.
Youre more than welcome to think this downright brilliant way but again, im probably putting more faith in hodgsons ability than your football know how
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: February 26, 2021, 8:27 am
Seiffert82 wrote: February 26, 2021, 7:26 am I'll reserve my judgement on Hodgson until Simo tells us what to think.
You were right all along seif. An international hooker who has made his mark off being smart around the ruck engaging markers and making the forwards roll on forward should change into a running dh or just pass it off the deck. Especially with our world class forward pack. Definitely dont try and work anything for them.
Youre more than welcome to think this downright brilliant way but again, im probably putting more faith in hodgsons ability than your football know how
A thousand people can have opinions about a player on this forum (like others have about Hodgo in this thread for example), but for whatever reason you often seem to be quite perturbed by what I have to say, even if I'm saying similar things.

It's all good if that's important enough to you to make a special effort to call me out. Just making an observation.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

greeneyed wrote: February 24, 2021, 5:26 pm Hodgson back and ready to roll

It has been a long 10 months, but Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson is back and ready to roll.

He suffered his second ACL injury in the Round 9 clash with the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium at the start of July last year.
Rugby league journalism continues to set a high bar heading into the new season I see. A 'long' 10 months, that was actually 7.5 months...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: February 25, 2021, 9:50 pm
Josh Hodgson has declared “age is just a number” ahead of the 31-year-old’s return from injury in a trial against the Sydney Roosters in Canberra on Saturday.

“I’d love to still be playing when I am 36 or 37,” Hodgson said. “Barring obviously freak career-threatening injuries, I think fitness wise the body is still as good as it has ever been and the mind is still as sharp. So while that is the case I am still planning to be around for a while.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 1f8d2243e4
Well that's proof positive our squad is the oldest in the comp and belongs in a nursing home.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: February 25, 2021, 8:16 pm
TongueFTW wrote: February 25, 2021, 6:47 pm So glad the footy is back.

The first two thirds of the field is his territory. That's where he should shine, that's where he should be the general. His skill around the ruck and organisation of our forwards is crucial to us in the battle for territory, and his long kicking game is brilliant. When you watch Smith over the years, this is his domain and his control of it is what makes him so good.

His approach in the final third is what needs to change, and ultimately, where he needs to know his role. Less is definitely more. By utilising his halves more, he makes himself more dangerous, and by extension our forwards. By using his ability to give quick and crisp service from the ruck in the opposition red zone, he makes his halves and by extension backs much more dangerous. His long passing ability out of dummy half is amongst the best I've seen, but it seemed that he seldom used it last season, or anytime he gets too selfish. Starling and Havili don't have that ability that he has.

If he gets this balance right, then I think he's capable of lifting us another level or two and helping to negate the lesser quality of our outside backs.
That's a very, very good post. So good I did a double-take on who posted it.

I can only assume you stole someone else's homework.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Christ - rich coming from you :lol:

I make detailed posts all the time..... if you ever bother to read them. Or attempt to engage in footy discussion.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: February 26, 2021, 12:03 pm Christ - rich coming from you Image

I make detailed posts all the time..... if you ever bother to read them. Or attempt to engage in footy discussion.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02 ... -roosters/