2021 season predictions and previews

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2021 season predictions and previews

Post by Seiffert82 »

The whole Bull about Smith not announcing his retirement and slinking off to the Gold Coast makes a mockery of any denial.

The clubs may not have spoken to Smith directly, but they are no doubt in contact with whoever replaced dodgy Isaac Moses as his manager. Smith probably told the clubs not to say anything and deny all contact or negotiations would be off.

In short, since the cap scandal I don't believe anything that Cameron Smith says, or anything that interested clubs say about him for that matter.

As incompetent as the Titans management has been, I simply can't believe that Cameron Smith has moved to the Gold Coast and absolutely nobody from the club has spoken to him.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on February 19, 2021, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I firmly believe Cameron Smith will roll around with the Titans this season, denials or no.

And Frankly, I think it's great for the game.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely they wouldn’t have Cap space for Cam Smith. Oh wait Roosters signed Sonny Bill on a tiny contract compared to market value.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote: February 19, 2021, 12:24 pm Surely they wouldn’t have Cap space for Cam Smith. Oh wait Roosters signed Sonny Bill on a tiny contract compared to market value.
Bingo. The Titans say they have no cap room. They start the season. Cam Smith miraculously then becomes available and the NRL step in to allow him to play below his true value (say, umm $550k) for the good of the game.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The amount they can sign him for decreases as the season progresses. This salary period has been running since something like early November. So if he does happen to pop in as a late 30th further into the season that 550-650 amount starts to be correct.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: February 19, 2021, 1:54 pm The amount they can sign him for decreases as the season progresses. This salary period has been running since something like early November. So if he does happen to pop in as a late 30th further into the season that 550-650 amount starts to be correct.
This sort of thing shouldn’t happen... but no doubt it’s possible.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I saw nothing wrong with SBW contract value but I believe you shouldn't be able to register any contracts beyond June 30th, that date should be your locked in cap value so if you need more players you dip into your juniors.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: February 19, 2021, 2:18 pm I saw nothing wrong with SBW contract value but I believe you shouldn't be able to register any contracts beyond June 30th, that date should be your locked in cap value so if you need more players you dip into your juniors.

That's pretty fair.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I want to see Smith sign a rugby contract. Then the NRL can pay him on top of his club salary to "bring him back to the game."
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Goodness knows what sort of deal he got on his new property up there. Possibly good enough to compensate him for keeping fit, training all alone, over the offseason.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Big decision to make: Smith leaves door open after Broncos emerge as frontrunners: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ea5e704416

Right. So how’s everyone feeling about the Broncos signing him on a cut price deal?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I hope he signs for the Broncos and they get the spoon.

And are still just as crap in 2022 with no experienced hooker.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

broncos are kidding themselves if they think they have a chance. Titans or retirement for Cam and despite what Mal says, I think he's all but signed for them.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I can't see him going to the Broncos and they'd be stupid to sign him

If he was the final piece of the puzzle to get them a premiership next year, sure. But they're a long way off.

Titans are a bit closer, but they'd be at least 3 or 4 years away from being a genuine contender

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He'll be a titan

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I haven’t given Cameron Smith much thought.

So I’ll continue to do that.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

My 2021 Season prediction is that if Cameron Smith does not play any matches for the Storm they will not make the Top 4. His captaincy, general play and goal kicking will be missed. I think Vunivalu is also a big loss on their right wing. I may end up with egg on my face with this prediction (not for the first time-I'll have them poached please) but to lose a player and captain of his quality is going to take some replacing.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Titans will finish just outside the top four, this year.

Raiders will finish top of the ladder. Easily.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

zim wrote: February 19, 2021, 1:54 pm The amount they can sign him for decreases as the season progresses. This salary period has been running since something like early November. So if he does happen to pop in as a late 30th further into the season that 550-650 amount starts to be correct.
Strongly feel that's what the Broncos (at least) are doing in order to fit him in, and the reason why it's taken him so long to make a decision.

Can't complain too much if that happens tbh, given we only last season benefitted from something similar (Rapana), regardless of any difference in intention people may want to argue.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I just feel like Cam Smith going to the Titans and winning a premiership there would be a wonderful moment for the game, whereas if he were to go to the broncos it’s the equivalent of the NRL smearing hot **** directly in our faces
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:I just feel like Cam Smith going to the Titans and winning a premiership there would be a wonderful moment for the game, whereas if he were to go to the broncos it’s the equivalent of the NRL smearing hot **** directly in our faces
I just feel like you're a **** stirrer but yep a Titans premiership would pound the broncos where it doesn't tickle

Edrick The Entertainer
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

-PJ- wrote: February 19, 2021, 6:01 pm I haven’t given Cameron Smith much thought.

So I’ll continue to do that.
Thanks, PJ. Sums up my feelings perfectly.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: February 22, 2021, 9:11 am
The Nickman wrote:I just feel like Cam Smith going to the Titans and winning a premiership there would be a wonderful moment for the game, whereas if he were to go to the broncos it’s the equivalent of the NRL smearing hot **** directly in our faces
I just feel like you're a **** stirrer but yep a Titans premiership would pound the broncos where it doesn't tickle

I don't even care about the Broncos, a Titans premiership would be a feel-good story for the NRL for all the right reasons.
Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

The Nickman wrote: February 22, 2021, 10:14 am

I don't even care about the Broncos, a Titans premiership would be a feel-good story for the NRL for all the right reasons.
A Raiders premiership would be a feel good story too.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, while I would much prefer to see a Titans grand final win than a Broncos win, their 7000 members can wait for a few more years while the Raiders go back to back.

How about we meet somewhere in the middle and beat the Gold Coast in this year's grand final?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ranking the spines of every NRL team ahead of 2021 season: https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/309 ... 021-season

I think they are intending:

1. Rabbitohs
2. Storm
3. Panthers
4. Raiders
5. Roosters
6. Eels
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Turt wrote:
The Nickman wrote: February 22, 2021, 10:14 am

A Raiders premiership would be a feel good story too.
Yeah why the **** are we talking about the Titans winning being a "feel good story". **** that. I hope they lose every game.

The only feel good story is a Raiders premiership every year for the next 100 years

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: February 22, 2021, 9:20 pm Ranking the spines of every NRL team ahead of 2021 season: https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/309 ... 021-season

I think they are intending:

1. Rabbitohs
2. Storm
3. Panthers
4. Raiders
5. Roosters
6. Eels
It's incredible just how bad all but about four of those spines are. Really surprising to me that clubs haven't done more to try to better themselves. Those 6 look ok, though the Roosters and Eels are crossing their fingers. Anyone else is just living in forlorn hope.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Makeshift playmakers and selection logjams: Every NRL club’s key positional changes for 2021

RAIDERS: Positional change: Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling and Siliva Havili vying for the dummy half positions. There is no doubt that Hodgson will return to the No.9 jersey after overcoming an ACL injury suffered last year, but it creates a headache for coach Ricky Stuart.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5ea2434b92
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I was only thinking about this last night and wondering if any thought had been given to having all three in the 17 at once. I think a lot of this boils down to how well Hodgo comes back otherwise if he has lost that speed out of dummy half having one of either starling or Havali on at the same time becomes a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The silver lining of Josh Hodgson’s injury in Canberra Raiders’ three-man No.9 headache

The Raiders’ attack bizarrely seemed to get better without Josh Hodgson last year, but while Ricky Stuart has three class options, Michael Ennis has backed the Englishman for a bumper season in 2021.

“I think the fact that Josh has had some period of time out of the game being able to watch those dummy halves that succeeded and took time to adapt [to the new ruck rules], and also the ones that didn’t adapt, to be able to add that into his game.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0d138881d4
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Just pass the **** ball Josh, or run the damn thing yourself. Stop mucking around trying to engage the markers or putting trick shots on the A and B's, slowing everything down.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 23, 2021, 2:49 pm Just pass the **** ball Josh, or run the damn thing yourself. Stop mucking around trying to engage the markers or putting trick shots on the A and B's, slowing everything down.
In a nutshell....exactly what I wanted to say.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 23, 2021, 2:49 pm Just pass the **** ball Josh, or run the damn thing yourself. Stop mucking around trying to engage the markers or putting trick shots on the A and B's, slowing everything down.
Ill probably let the world class hooker decide what he wants to do
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: February 23, 2021, 3:55 pm
Ill probably let the world class hooker decide what he wants to do
Yeah, well whatever he was doing wasn't working for him, or the team, before he got injured.

We looked terrible and a lot of it was down to how Hodgson was playing.

Hence the article.