Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by Northern Raider »

Fair enough. The only real risk is what happens if a positive case pops up that has links to somebody within a team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Surely that’ll happen. Once they get forced to cancel/postpone a game or two I suspect you’ll get your bubble back.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seven NRL All Stars pulled from rep game in wake of Vic lockdown: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-al ... 2854bc1255

So... is this enough to make them realise this is unlikely to work in practice?

Surely they need a bubble to vaccine.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

V'Landys on SEN now talking to Vossy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Police Commissioner expected to be appointed to the ARL Commission in the next 48 hours

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller, 52, is expected to fill the one vacant position remaining on the commission ahead of next Friday’s annual general meeting. He has already been given the approval of NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, and Fuller said he expected a decision to be made in “the next 48 hours”.

Fuller is close to the Roosters chairman Nick Politis, Canberra coach Ricky Stuart and Nine expert commentator Phil Gould.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/carefu ... 573re.html

Apparently well regarded due to his assistance in getting the NRL back on the field last year... but he's also the bloke who defended the actions of police in the Curtis Scott case... after the vision was released: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nsw-co ... 55y0f.html

Can't say I'm at all sure that he's the right person for the Commission...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2021

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders are ****

Censorship makes that look like I think Raiders are crap... I’ll try again

Raiders are screwed
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Genuinely thought this was an early April Fools story.

This bit made me throw up in my mouth a little:
In an interview with the Herald on Thursday, Fuller said he could help stem the tide of off-field misbehaviour that has cost the game millions in sponsorship dollars in recent years.

“I’m an expert in employment, people management, brand management and setting behavioural expectations,” Fuller said. “I’ve brought those skills to the NSW Police Force and I think I can bring that to the NRL.
His record on setting behavioural expectations is clear from the extraordinary amount of money the NSWPF has paid out to people under his leadership.

What a ridiculous appointment.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

What a joke!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Smurfette wrote: February 18, 2021, 5:39 pm Genuinely thought this was an early April Fools story.

In an interview with the Herald on Thursday, Fuller said he could help stem the tide of off-field misbehaviour that has cost the game millions in sponsorship dollars in recent years.

“I’m an expert in employment, people management, brand management and setting behavioural expectations,” Fuller said. “I’ve brought those skills to the NSW Police Force and I think I can bring that to the NRL.
His record on setting behavioural expectations is clear from the extraordinary amount of money the NSWPF has paid out to people under his leadership.

:lol: you're not wrong!

All evidence suggests he's not at all competent in his day job.

In saying that, sometimes having the people inside the tent can work to your advantage.

I still don't think the NSW Police Commissioner should hold formal roles in these sorts of positions. It immediately raises questions about conflicts of interest when issues arise.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The conflicts of interest are clear and obvious. Simply shouldn’t be happening. Probably another shoot from the hip V’Landys idea, encouraged by Phil Gould.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: February 19, 2021, 1:48 pm
Smurfette wrote: February 18, 2021, 5:39 pm Genuinely thought this was an early April Fools story.

In saying that, sometimes having the people inside the tent can work to your advantage.

I still don't think the NSW Police Commissioner should hold formal roles in these sorts of positions. It immediately raises questions about conflicts of interest when issues arise.
Tasering for any players late for training
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Gee that made me laugh nr

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller already has his hands full improving police behaviour, let alone NRL players

So the head of the NSW Police Mick Fuller wants to join the ARL Commission and is going to clean up player behaviour in the NRL? Everyone at Raiders HQ would be entitled to raise their eyebrows at that.

Given what's transpired over the past year - NSW Police not once, but twice accusing Canberra Raiders of assaulting police. Only for the charges to be thrown out.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... behaviour/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Embarrassing decision to approach him. Surely there are better individuals for this role.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: February 19, 2021, 4:13 pm

Maybe capsicum spray.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2021, 8:11 pm

Maybe capsicum spray.
Yeah, you start with the capsicum spray and then go for the taser when you fear for your life if the player screams out in agony.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: February 20, 2021, 6:29 am

Maybe capsicum spray.
Yeah, you start with the capsicum spray and then go for the taser when you fear for your life if the player screams out in agony.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: February 20, 2021, 8:31 am
Seiffert82 wrote: February 20, 2021, 6:29 am

Maybe capsicum spray.
:lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC bid to appoint NSW top cop scratched

This afternoon a discussion was held between Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) and the NSW Government.

Based on legal advice, both parties agreed that it was not legally possible to appoint Michael Fuller to the ARLC while he is the Commissioner of NSW Police.

The ARLC is disappointed that Commissioner Fuller will not be able to join the Commission given the skills, experience and value he would have brought to the game. However, the Commission respects and understands the NSW Government’s advice on the matter.

The current vacancy on the Commission will be filled at a later date.

ARL Commission statement

ARLC bid to appoint NSW top cop scratched: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2209909

And someone has finally seen sense... but that someone was not at NRL HQ.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: February 21, 2021, 5:30 pm ARLC bid to appoint NSW top cop scratched

This afternoon a discussion was held between Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) and the NSW Government.

Based on legal advice, both parties agreed that it was not legally possible to appoint Michael Fuller to the ARLC while he is the Commissioner of NSW Police.

The ARLC is disappointed that Commissioner Fuller will not be able to join the Commission given the skills, experience and value he would have brought to the game. However, the Commission respects and understands the NSW Government’s advice on the matter.

The current vacancy on the Commission will be filled at a later date.

ARL Commission statement

ARLC bid to appoint NSW top cop scratched: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2209909

And someone has finally seen sense... but that someone was not at NRL HQ.
Yeah, that's pretty disturbing.

Firstly, someone in that role should never have been considered.

Secondly, that quote about him coming in to help sort out player behaviour is a pretty messed up message to send - especially considering the absolute shambles his own organisation is in.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One of the most disturbing things is that the NSW Police Commissioner did not himself immediately see the conflict of interest. In my experience most public servants are highly attuned to them and avoid them.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Ok, ok.... I know this is not 2021. But did anyone forget about this absolute 2020 gem like I did:

https://streamable.com/1mxtny

:lol: :lol:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:One of the most disturbing things is that the NSW Police Commissioner did not himself immediately see the conflict of interest. In my experience most public servants are highly attuned to them and avoid them.
Really? I’ve had a different experience with Public Servants, so I wasn’t surprised. Maybe it’s a NSW thing
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ Mole reporting that after the failure to secure the NSW police commissioner for the role of improving bad behaviour, the NRL commission have now identified Harvey Weinstein for the role of improving female and sex discrimination behaviour in the NRL.

Abdo identified Weinstein as an experienced movie producer who’s had to manage young headstrong people in a world of celebrity and sudden access to money.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

best BJ mole scoop yet
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

V'landys re-elected as ARL Commission bounces back financially

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) advised Members at today’s Annual General Meeting that the game had completed the COVID-19 impacted season financially stronger than anticipated.

The ARLC recorded a full year deficit of $24.7 million. The deficit excludes the net revenues from the 2020 State of Origin series which was played in the 2021 financial year. Had the Origin series been played in the 2020 financial year as normal, the ARLC would have recorded a $3.7 million deficit.

The result was achieved despite NRL revenue reducing by more than $130 million, or 25 per cent, due to a 20% reduction in NRL Premiership games played, not having crowds at the games and other COVID-19 caused decreases in broadcast, commercial and game day revenues.

The ARLC acted decisively to reduce operating expenses, before distributions to members, by 32 per cent on the previous year. This was despite a significant increase in competition expenses with COVID-19 protocols, which included chartering flights for game day travel.

At today’s Commission meeting, Mr Peter V’landys’ AM was re-elected Chairman of the ARLC.

Mr V’landys said the Commission had ensured all 16 Clubs and all State Leagues had emerged from the COVID-19 Pandemic financially secure and the overall finances of the game in better shape than anticipated.

“We increased net payments for Clubs by 300% to ensure they all stayed viable and have funds for the future. This is in stark contrast to other sports which either reduced funding to their Clubs or maintained the same level of funding in their Clubs’ time of need given the disastrous impact of COVID-19 on their other sources of revenue,’’ he said.

“The game faced financial catastrophe when we were forced to suspend the season in March. I’m pleased to report that because we were able to resume the season so quickly and re-negotiate new deals with our partners, the game finished the financial year in much stronger shape than first predicted.

“We’ve recorded a modest deficit and had State of Origin been played in the 2020 financial year we would have been close to breaking even.

“What I’m most pleased about is that these results were achieved while ensuring the financial security of all stakeholders. The Commission made it a priority to make sure all clubs were provided with additional funding to ensure they survived the pandemic.”

Mr V’landys said the Commission had listened to fans and members in 2020.

“We have focussed on the customer – prioritising rule changes to make the game faster and more entertaining and we’ve commenced work on reviving suburban grounds and bringing tribalism back for the fans. We also completed a significant cost reduction program to make head office more cost effective.”

“I want to thank everyone involved in rugby league – our players, clubs, states, broadcast and commercial partners and rugby league staff for playing a role in the success of the 2020 season and the sacrifices they made. Today’s results are the outcome of the entire game working together.”

NRL media release

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/vla ... nancially/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL willing to again tweak new rules after trial run: Annesley

As teams prepare for their first matches under new rules, NRL head of football Graham Annesley has declared further tweaks would be considered if needed to ensure increases to the speed of the game and time that the ball is in play.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/nrl ... -annesley/

New NRL rules explained: Scrums, field goals, six-agains, trainers

NRL head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley has outlined how new rules will make the Telstra Premiership faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable in 2021.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/new ... -trainers/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

State of Origin to return to Adelaide Oval in 2023

The State of Origin Series will return to Adelaide Oval in 2023, following the success of the first ever match at the iconic venue in 2020.

The National Rugby League (NRL), in conjunction with the South Australian Government, today announced that Adelaide Oval would host a match in the 2023 series.

The decision continues the NRL’s policy of one neutral venue and one home venue for each of the States in the three-match series.

A capacity COVID-19 crowd of 25,218 attended Game One of last year’s series in Adelaide and the NRL looks forward to giving more than 50,000 fans the opportunity to watch Origin live in Adelaide in 2023.

ARLC Commissioner Peter Beattie AC, who attended today’s announcement in Adelaide, said South Australians had embraced Origin in 2020.

“We want to build on what we started last year,” Mr Beattie said.

“The Adelaide Oval match was a great success. We had a capacity COVID crowd and the way the city embraced the Origin Series gives us every confidence of filling the venue in 2023.

“State of Origin is the most successful sporting brand in Australia which we now play in the five biggest capital cities in Australia.”

Mr Beattie thanked the South Australian Government and the South Australian Tourism Commission for their support of rugby league.

“I want to thank Premier Steven Marshall for his support, he has been the strongest of advocates for securing this event. State of Origin will fill hotels and restaurants across Adelaide and inject millions into the local economy.”

South Australian Premier Steven Marshall said State of Origin would inject an estimated $15 million into the local economy.

“It’s a great result for rugby league fans, but also a big win for South Australian hotels, restaurants and cafes,” Premier Marshall said.

“More than 20,000 interstate visitors are expected to visit Adelaide to help celebrate the big match - injecting an estimated $15 million dollars into the South Australian economy.

“Last year’s NRL State of Origin game was a real hit and delivered a cracking game in front of more than 25,000 fans – including 4,000 from interstate,” Premier Marshall said.

“Events like these create jobs and vibrancy in our great city and it’s fantastic to be able to welcome interstate Blues and Maroons fans back to Adelaide.”

Queensland Maroons Coach Paul Green said: “From all reports, our players and fans really enjoyed last year’s Origin experience in Adelaide.

“It was obviously a great night for our supporters and the players and coaches who played their part in a memorable win.

“It’s always exciting to showcase State of Origin in new markets and at iconic sporting venues like the Adelaide Oval, so I’m sure there will be a lot of people looking forward to this game in 2023.”

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler said: “It is exciting to hear that Origin will be heading back to Adelaide in 2023 and hopefully this time Adelaide Oval will be packed out.

“We enjoyed running out in the iconic stadium last year, albeit with a small crowd due to the challenges and restrictions as a result of COVID-19, so we would love to see Adelaide Oval filled with our current fans and new fans proudly wearing the blue wig next time.

“The people of Adelaide love their sport and an Origin match at is a great way to showcase our game.”

NRL media release

Origin returning to iconic venue: Adelaide Oval hosting game in 2023: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/02/ori ... e-in-2023/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"SBW style signings" to become common place: NRL shifts 30 June deadline for finalising squads to 1 August

The NRL has pushed back the deadline for club’s to finalise their top 30 roster from June 30 to August 1. The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield said it was a move by the RLPA that will now “create a made signing frenzy” in the final rounds of the season.

“Now what this is going to do is create a mad signing frenzy at the back end of the season so clubs don’t have to fill their 30-man rosters until Round 20,” he said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... e3701a109a

It is another dumb, shoot from the hip decision from the NRL, in my view. The fans should rightly expect that squads that play in Grand Finals, and win premierships, have played at least half the season - and that premierships should not be decided by player signings as late as Round 20. It is ridiculous.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Not a fan of a new player joining a squad on the lead up to a finals run.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Also the article mentions Raiders have finalised their 30 man squad, I though there was a position still open ?

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote:Also the article mentions Raiders have finalised their 30 man squad, I though there was a position still open ?

There is. NRL.com incorrectly includes Albert Hopoate in our top 30, which is probably the source of the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Gee that really ruins the integrity of the competition. You shouldn’t be able to win a comp with players that you signed only a month before finals.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Next will be allowing the Roosters youngster to play NRL before turning 18.

Waiting...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:Next will be allowing the Roosters youngster to play NRL before turning 18.

Waiting...
I’m waiting for the NRL to then say “Yeah, that didn’t work. Back to 18 year min” once JS becomes 18
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021