Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 4, 2020, 12:36 pm "Don't resist mate, don't resist!" they implore the sleeping body as they handcuff his limp wrists, and try to completely disorient him with blinding lights straight into his face. The tazer to keep the completely inebriated and half asleep person under control was just the icing on the cake.

:lol: heroic work there from the NSW police force. Keeping the streets safe.

I just hope Scott learns to stay clear of these situations in the future.
It's the NSW Police version of Steve Irwin's "It's alright fella..." before pouncing on a Croc and hogtieing it
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Curtis Scott police assault charges dropped after court rules arrest 'unlawful'

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 4, 2020, 12:41 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: December 4, 2020, 12:36 pm "Don't resist mate, don't resist!" they implore the sleeping body as they handcuff his limp wrists, and try to completely disorient him with blinding lights straight into his face. The tazer to keep the completely inebriated and half asleep person under control was just the icing on the cake.

:lol: heroic work there from the NSW police force. Keeping the streets safe.

I just hope Scott learns to stay clear of these situations in the future.
It's the NSW Police version of Steve Irwin's "It's alright fella..." before pouncing on a Croc and hogtieing it
Haha, exactly. Both captured on film for good effect.

Thankfully for Irwin, crocodiles don't have competent lawyers.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Firstly I am still shocked by that footage, and I was on Curtis' side all along!

2ndly I'm not sure how much Curtis will need to do for this, I would guess its all in the hands of his lawyer. Curtis may not even have to attend court, just say yes in a few emails.
So it shouldn't be a distraction at all
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

cat wrote:Firstly I am still shocked by that footage, and I was on Curtis' side all along!
No offence cat, but when your position is that you back the Raider unless you personally saw them commit 5 murders, it’s hard to get much credit here Image
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Tom’s turn now

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Oh no😭
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
cat wrote:Firstly I am still shocked by that footage, and I was on Curtis' side all along!
No offence cat, but when your position is that you back the Raider unless you personally saw them commit 5 murders, it’s hard to get much credit here Image
Hahaha yeah, my thoughts exactly

Even a broken clock is wrong twice a day
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

**** .....We are screwed now if Hodgo does his knee again
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Raider: "I did it. I killed the beep. I grabbed beep beep beep and then I beep beep. Then I left the beep in a shallow grave"

Cat: "It's a media beat up engineered by the NRL"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Raider: "I did it. I killed the beep. I grabbed beep beep beep and then I beep beep. Then I left the beep in a shallow grave"

A month later he quits the Raiders and sensationally signs with the Roosters

cat: they should throw the book at him, we have no place for grubs like that in the NRL
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

cat: they should throw the book at him, we have no place for grubs like that in the NRL
Image Nailed it
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: December 6, 2020, 1:09 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

this reads too accurately for this forum
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

PODCAST: Brett Finch speaks to Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott - about his time with the Storm, his move to the Green Machine and the dramas of 2020. #NRL #WeAreRaiders #ICYMI

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/brett ... ott_01.mp3
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Scumbag filter been disabled then?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

think it was sadly removed many years ago
:(
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' centre Curtis Scott Scott is still carrying scars from NSW Police ordeal

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott is still carrying scars from his horrifying unlawful arrest following Australia Day celebrations, which is why his lawyer thinks he deserves $400,000 in damages.

"Definitely going ahead next year. It's up to the court what they decide in due course," his lawyer Same Macedone said. "My opinion is he should get around $400,000, but it's not up to me."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1ff785e6e2

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/curtis ... 56pla.html

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/curtis-sco ... cial-NRLFS
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I still can’t believe what the footage showed. Amazing the police fought the case for so long.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

NSW Police ordered to pay $100,000 in costs to NRL star Curtis Scott after 'terrifying' Sydney arrest

A Sydney magistrate has hit NSW Police with a $100,000 legal bill over the "terrifying" arrest of NRL player Curtis Scott in January.

Scott, who plays for Canberra Raiders, was charged with multiple offences including assaulting police and resisting arrest after he was found sleeping at Moore Park early on January 27.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-25/ ... t/12702080
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wow. That ABC article really gets to the heart of the issue.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not sure how the NRL can try to slap on a $15000 fine (suspended or not).

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: February 19, 2021, 1:13 pm Not sure how the NRL can try to slap on a $15000 fine (suspended or not).

He was blind drunk and carrying on like a goose- throwing phones at taxis prior to falling asleep.
I have no problem with NRL fining someone for that.

It just doesn't also allow police to act like thugs who are allowed to punish (beat up) as they see fit. They are supposed to protect the public- courts are the only ones allowed to mete out punishment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That story was from back in September, so no fine for Curtis (suspended). Still waiting on the additional legal case for damages I believe.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:That story was from back in September, so no fine for Curtis (suspended). Still waiting on the additional legal case for damages I believe.
We need Facebook to ensure we get the latest news not old stories! ImageImageImage
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: February 19, 2021, 1:25 pm
gergreg wrote: February 19, 2021, 1:13 pm Not sure how the NRL can try to slap on a $15000 fine (suspended or not).

He was blind drunk and carrying on like a goose- throwing phones at taxis prior to falling asleep.

It just doesn't also allow police to act like thugs who are allowed to punish (beat up) as they see fit. They are supposed to protect the public- courts are the only ones allowed to mete out punishment.
Yep, Scott still had a few things to answer for that night.

The issue here is that the police clearly went to town on him in a defenceless state. The police force and the responsible officers should absolutely be held accountable.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:

Yet a bloke who smashes down lines of coke the night before a grand final - while still meant to be in a covid bubble gets a lighter punishment?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm with Greg. this kid has been through enough. Had either the police or the prosecution done their jobs properly none of this would have ever seen the light of day. It's in everyone's interests of we just moved on from this sorry affair
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: February 19, 2021, 8:11 pm
BadnMean wrote:

Yet a bloke who smashes down lines of coke the night before a grand final - while still meant to be in a covid bubble gets a lighter punishment?

Naden is a bit of a "what about" type aside though. I'm not about to argue that the NRL is consistent. Maybe they have goofed on Naden or taken another road for whatever reason.

Doesn't sway me from thinking the NRL can reasonably impose a suspended fine on an NRL player who carries on like Scott did prior to his arrest. If a player from another club was seen kicking the crap out of someone's bicycle, raging around the street swearing at cars and throwing his phone at a moving taxi- and the NRL put a suspended fine on the bloke for that I wouldn't bat an eyelid. If they gave him a week I'd probably have thought fair enough.

That he did the above wasn't in dispute. What happened to him afterward was just horrible and absolutely shameful from start to finish for the NSW police. I think we should all be hopping mad about it.

But by still acknowledging his prior behaviour was also not acceptable and we don't want our players being out of line/borderline violent (kicking crap out of said bike) or dangerous (throwing things at cars while they drive) I actually DO think that's a fairly responsible stance. And that it stands the NRL in good stead should they ever need to reprimand a player for doing similar in the future. I also think it was good judgement and fair overall to suspend the fine so CUrtis isn't punished further by this if he can just keep his nose clean (Naden pun intended).
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So what sort of penalty should the NRL dish out to Starling?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

None
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I thought the court case showed the person the cab driver complained about may not have been Curtis at all or at the very least the cab driver may have over egged the events.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:None
Sorry I wanted badandmeans hot take on this one. Clearly the answer is 'none' for either player but can badandmean put aside his clear disdain for Curtis to concede this?

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: February 20, 2021, 9:18 am
Sorry I wanted badandmeans hot take on this one. Clearly the answer is 'none' for either player but can badandmean put aside his clear disdain for Curtis to concede this?

I think you might be reading a bit much into what I've posted. I don't have any disdain for Curtis Scott. I don't think I posted anything disdainful about him as a person, apart from to say that kicking other peoples bikes and throwing phones at cars is silly stuff and worthy of a fine.

Starling is another "whataboutism".

Each case is different. My experiences with the Curtis Scott case made me come out and doubt the police version of the Starling case pretty quickly.

I don't know that Starling was behaving badly before his encounter with police. I haven't heard he was. If he was brawling in a bar, then yeah, I guess he'd be due a fine too.

You can bring up as many other scenarios as you like, but what's the point? I didn't know I was having an argument here, just I have a different opinion on a suspended fine for a but of drunken loutish behaviour being an ok precedent to set for a public brand like the NRL. To me it's seems more problematic not to set a (suspended) fine for that, for a sporting league.

But if you hold a different opinion I'm just fine with that (see what I did there?). Seems a relatively minor issue to me.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 20, 2021, 9:18 am

I think you might be reading a bit much into what I've posted. I don't have any disdain for Curtis Scott. I don't think I posted anything disdainful about him as a person, apart from to say that kicking other peoples bikes and throwing phones at cars is silly stuff and worthy of a fine.

Starling is another "whataboutism".

Each case is different. My experiences with the Curtis Scott case made me come out and doubt the police version of the Starling case pretty quickly.

I don't know that Starling was behaving badly before his encounter with police. I haven't heard he was. If he was brawling in a bar, then yeah, I guess he'd be due a fine too.

You can bring up as many other scenarios as you like, but what's the point? I didn't know I was having an argument here, just I have a different opinion on a suspended fine for a but of drunken loutish behaviour being an ok precedent to set for a public brand like the NRL. To me it's seems more problematic not to set a (suspended) fine for that, for a sporting league.

But if you hold a different opinion I'm just fine with that (see what I did there?). Seems a relatively minor issue to me.
You've been riding Curtis since day one. Interesting to read that you have given Starling the benefit of the doubt with his incident but haven't afforded the same for Curtis - despite both cases being thrown out of court and absolutely no proof of what occurred leading up to the police arriving on the scene for either case.

Part of the point I'm trying to make (and we are just expressing opinions here, not arguing) why should the Raiders be the the 'line in sand' moments where we accept punishment from the NRL, yet six months later the NRL punishes players with a feather.

Sure it is difficult to compare different incidents that these boofheads get themselves into but the NRL clearly needs to be better. I remember saying quite a few years ago that the NRL needs to have some clear guides on what sort of penalty applies to different incidents. Like I said it is difficult because everything is different but fans, clubs and players need something to help understand how these decisions/punishments are decided upon. I think they were heading in the right direction with the 'no fault' stand down but needed to go a bit further.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:

I figured my hot take might suffice, since I agree on BadnMean on this one.

I don’t think there’s benefit of the doubt given to Starling and not Scott by BnM. Scott has behaviour that was unacceptable and unchallenged, separate to what followed. A punishment is reasonable (although takes into account that he’s already paid a heavy price with the resulting police brutality). It is a good move in consistency for the NRL to indicate what the punishment would have been in isolation.

Correct me if I am wrong but Starling has no ill behaviour that is currently unchallenged?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:

I figured my hot take might suffice, since I agree on BadnMean on this one.

I don’t think there’s benefit of the doubt given to Starling and not Scott by BnM. Scott has behaviour that was unacceptable and unchallenged, separate to what followed. A punishment is reasonable (although takes into account that he’s already paid a heavy price with the resulting police brutality). It is a good move in consistency for the NRL to indicate what the punishment would have been in isolation.

Correct me if I am wrong but Starling has no ill behaviour that is currently unchallenged?
Scott's behavior/actions prior to the police arriving on the scene is unproven, the same as Starling. It appears that there may have been a fight which resulted in the police being called to the scene (in Starling's case), where they again over reacted. Is fighting in public a lesser crime than throwing a phone at a car?