NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 8, 2021, 9:02 pm That was always going to happen. It's Brady, thats a whole different thing
Casuals revel themselves on that front. They'll talk about Brady, real talk will be about the D. The Gravediggers on the back end, Carlton Davis, Sean Murphey-Bunting, Antonio Winfield Jr... those guys absolutely dominated. If it were up to me, i'd have given the MVP to the DL, but if pressed to give to to a single player, it'd have been Devin White who was absolutely everywhere. But JPP, Vea, Shaq Barrett and Suh collectively as a group curb stomped these dudes. It was a total mismatch up front, and as we are constantly reminded of, QB's arent nearly as important as we all like to think, not a single QB in NFL history can win when he's pressured the way Mahomes was. You win up front on the DL and OL, thats how you win

Pat Mahomes ran for nearly 500 yards behind the LOS today... that's how much he was running for his life. The Bucs defence put on one of the greatest **** kickings in SB history.

Edit: Just FWIW i dont have a particular issue with Brady getting MVP, the problem for the D is there was a bunch of players who made a ton of plays and no one stood out. So when no one stands out, Tom Brady is going to get the nod. That's just how it is. But there is no question that this game was won the TB Defence.
Could almost argue that Mahomes played better than Brady considering his O-line disintegrated and his receivers couldn't catch. He threw some unbelievable passes under pressure only for it to slip through someone's hands. If some of those stuck the story could have been different.

While on the topic of could-a-beens, big turning point in 2nd qtr at 7-3 where Brady got picked but it was negated by a defensive holding call. Instead of a turnover the drive ended in Gronk's 2nd TD. May have technically been correct call but those have been ignored most of the playoffs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The officiating in the first half was pretty sketchy
I dont think it mattered to the game because that holding call, and the two PI's although IMO, were total Bull calls, the simple fact is the KC OL couldnt block the Bucs front. So bad calls might have made the game closer, but the result wouldnt have changed. There was no chance KC could win given the size of the mismatch up front. As said, over 50% of his drop backs was pressure, and i would conservatively estimate at least half those he wasnt pressured on Mike Remmers was probably committing a hold on the Bucs DE...

Spare a thought for Mike Remmers too, dude played in a SB a few years ago and Von Miller won MVP because he put a clown suit on Remmers... Remmers come back now years later, and my god they did it to the poor guy again. Be it Barrett, JPP, and even big Vita Vea got snaps on the outside and they all just embarrassed Remmers.

Re: Mahomes... i agree, you could almost do that, given the duress he was under... he had those two back to back throws on 3rd and 4th down, where he ran around, avoided about 3 sacks, then as he's being dragged down, and in the second case, he's literally mid air, no mechanics, no platform, nothing... just pure arm, and he throws 30 yard DIMES, between and over Bucs defenders, perfect balls that hit his damn receivers in the face... there is no qb in the history of the game that could make either of those throws, let alone do them back to back. He's absolutely incredible.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah, you can only judge a game on what did happen. Not what might have happened if something else happened. Who knows if that turnover might have given KC some momentum. Could have even seen KC take a lead into half time and not come out playing catch up like they did.

You still have to assume the Bucc's D-line would have dominated anyway. It was insane the amount of time Mahomes was running around around trying to avoid unhindered pass rushers. On the rare occasion he did stay in the pocket it collapsed like grass hut in cyclone.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: February 7, 2021, 12:58 pm The eagles finalising a deal with the bears to trade Wentz
Based on reporting, I think it’ll be done within the next few hours

Terms I’ve seen floated is Wentz for 20th pick, Tarik Cohen and lololol BIG DICK NICK!

Haha. Amazing
OK, reporting now suggests that things were zooming towards a deal and Howie Roseman had the **** balls to try and gouge the potential suitors to the point where everyone is starting to cool... they've **** the Wentz situation up so badly, if Howie doubles downs and **** the trade up now because he wants obscene value... i might just fly to Philly to riot.

The situation with Wentz is sadly unsalvagable.
Whatever the best offer is, they need to take it and be done with it... sooner or latter these teams will make an organisational decision to persue other options. If there is a first on the table, and it is reliably reported that the Bears have #20 in the deal.... Trying to extort them to give you a 2022 first is just getting greedy. Take the 2021 first, whatever other day 2-3 compensation is on offer and let everyone move on with their lives.

(Sorry, im just so angry and frustrated by this... maybe ill look like a fool and Howie holding on will end up netting a better deal, but this circus needs to come to an end)
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 8, 2021, 9:15 pm Also appopos to nothing, i just listened to ATN pod, which had nothing to do with the game but was a tribute to Chris Wesseling, who succumbed to his fight against cancer a few days ago.
I've been listening to that pod since... i dont know when, it's been that long, and Wess was one of the formative voices in my NFL education. His writing and podcasting helped me take my understanding and love for the game to another level... and for that i am incredibly thankful. I never met the man but he impacted my life and helped cultivate a new life passion and i am so incredibly sad for his family, he leaves behind his wife Lakisha and son Linc. RIP the Mailman. :(

Donate if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/For-lakisha- ... hare-sheet
Faaaaaaa....
I hadn't seen that. He was awesome! Thats really sad
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Putting it out there...
Any chance ARod replaces Big Ben in Pittsburgh?
He would finally have weapons on both sides of the ball.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 13, 2021, 12:07 pm Putting it out there...
Any chance ARod replaces Big Ben in Pittsburgh?
He would finally have weapons on both sides of the ball.
GB arent trading Rodgers, and Big Ben is about to redo his deal to come back at a much lower cap hit.
Both teams are, im fairly certain, going into 2021 with their starting QB in tact
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Wentz traded to the Colts for a 2021 3rd round pick, and a 2022 conditional 1st round pick (becomes a 2nd rounder if he plays less than 70% of offensive snaps or less than 75% and they miss the playoffs).

In other words:
Wentz plays more than 75% - 1st
Wentz plays 70-75% and they get in playoffs - 1st
Wentz plays 70-75% and they miss playoffs - 2nd
Wentz plays less than 70% - 2nd

Considering the Colts don’t have much on their QB depth chart, it’s really conditional for injury, as I imagine Wentz will be the starter if healthy.

A pretty fair trade IMO. Eagles save less than $1MM on this years’ cap, and have to eat a bunch of dead cap, but at least he’s off their books after this year. And for the Colts, they get a former (almost) MVP for reasonable draft capital and at a reasonable cap hit:
2021 - $25MM (guaranteed)
2022 - $22MM ($15MM guaranteed at start of 2021 league year, $7MM guaranteed at the start of the 2022 league year)
2023 - $25MM (not guaranteed)
2024 - $26MM (not guaranteed)
Last edited by the bone on February 19, 2021, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: February 19, 2021, 9:08 am Wentz traded to the Colts for a 2021 3rd round pick, and a 2022 conditional 1st round pick (becomes a 2nd rounder if he plays less than 75% of offensive snaps or less than 70% and they miss the playoffs).

In other words:
Wentz plays more than 75% - 1st
Wentz plays 70-75% and they get in playoffs - 1st
Wentz plays 70-75% and they miss playoffs - 2nd
Wentz plays less than 70% - 2nd

Considering the Colts don’t have much on their QB depth chart, it’s really conditional for injury, as I imagine Wentz will be the starter if healthy.

A pretty fair trade IMO. Eagles save less than $1MM on this years’ cap, and have to eat a bunch of dead cap, but at least he’s off their books after this year. And for the Colts, they get a former (almost) MVP for reasonable draft capital and at a reasonable cap hit:
2021 - $25MM (guaranteed)
2022 - $22MM ($15MM guaranteed at start of 2021 league year, $7MM guaranteed at the start of the 2022 league year)
2023 - $25MM (not guaranteed)
2024 - $26MM (not guaranteed)
Sounds like a bargain for Colts.

Philly did what they had too, and not sure they get any other upside. Probably in the QB market now though. Coz surely they aren't going Hurts and Sudfield?!?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

They’ll run it back with Hurts and probably sign a veteran QB on a modest deal as backup/moderate competition. Someone like Jacoby Brisset or Tyrod Taylor, maybe even Fitzmagic!

I’m sure they’ll do their due diligence on this year’s QB class, as Hurts doesn’t preclude them from taking a QB at 6. But ultimately I think they’ll go one of the top receivers, see how Hurts goes this year, and reassess their QB situation next offseason.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Not the compensation i was hoping for... for a few weeks there it seemed like they were going to pressure the bears into doing something REAL dumb
But ultimately i do think that ends up being a first and a 3rd for Wentz

As i said prior, this is an organisational failure. To take that 2017-18 Carson Wentz and turn him into the 2020 version who wanted nothing to do with the franchise, and taking a 34m cap hold with him can not be viewed as anything but catastrophic failure, the Wentz era itself though, as I've also said... you play this game to win rings and the organisation did that. They could not have done it without him. So the era has to been seen as a success, even if the organisation ultimately failed Wentz

I think he'll bounce back at the Colts. I dont think we'll ever see 2017 Wentz again, i think he is too scarred physically and more importantly mentally to get back there, but i do think he will be the long term franchise QB for the Colts and he'll settle in around his 2019 level of play where he was maybe the 9th-12th best QB in the league.

So what now for Philly?

If i were running the team id strongly consider taking Ja'Marr Chase, Kyle Pitts, Davonta Smith at #6, but likely trade back and try to get an extra first next year for the team coming into #6 to get their QB (probably someone like the Panthers at 8, Broncos at 9, Niners at 12 or NE at 15 are potential suitors), and then extra day 2-3 picks to move back again into the 20's where i could target Rashod Batmen... and then fill the roster out with CB's, S, LB and Interior OL in days 2 and 3, understanding that 2021 with our cap situation and Jalen Hurts under centre likely isnt going to be a very good season, but the hard reset is done and the rebuild is underway so we can properly evaluate Hurts and if he sucks, this team is going to be in a position to draft the QB next year or the year after if next years class doesnt enthuse me... If Hurts is great, then we're just fast tracked a long that process and we can build around him

Howie and co? If they are consistent in how they've generally operated at the QB position, i find it hard to believe that when they grade out Fields, Wilson and Lance (forget Lawrence, not even considering that as he's a jaguar) that the grades wont come in on all 3, as being higher grades than they had on Hurts. So i think they're going to find it very difficult to pass on QB here at 6. They may even look to trade up into a spot to get their best one (which for me is Wilson now, but it's tight with him and Fields)

What would be objectively hilarious is if they trade Carson Wentz, and end up drafting Trey Lance, the QB out of... wait for FBS Powerhouse... North Dakota State :lol:
Which fwiw i wouldnt have an issue with. That would be fun content and fans and commentators would make all the jokes, as well we all should. But the Eagles absolutely should not consider the PR angle of taking Lance out of North Dakota State after just shipping Wentz who came out from NDS. If eagles wipe him from consideration because they dont want that narrative, then they're doing themselves a huge disservice.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wentz trade is a reasonable one I think. Colts get a ready made starter that's in a great position to reinvigorate his career. Pheagles compensation maybe a little light but a 1st and 3rd may be as good as it gets. They'd already lost the high ground in negotiations.

Ironically if it turns into a 2nd and 3rd round because Wentz didn't meet the criteria it actually becomes a better deal for the Pheagles and worse for the Colts. It effectively means the Colts got very little value for the picks they gave up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Here’s how it goes
Wentz starts the first 13 games, plays well, but through a combination of defensive let downs, a couple of shanked game winning fg, they’re 7-6
Wentz hits his 75% marker

And then Wentz gets hurt and they go 0-4 down the stretch
Finish up 7-10, and with pick 15 in the draft 😂
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 19, 2021, 3:07 pm Here’s how it goes
Wentz starts the first 13 games, plays well, but through a combination of defensive let downs, a couple of shanked game winning fg, they’re 7-6
Wentz hits his 75% marker

And then Wentz gets hurt and they go 0-4 down the stretch
Finish up 7-10, and with pick 15 in the draft 😂
Colts start 0-5 and Wentz gets benched. Jacob Eason takes over and turns them around for a 10-6 season but just miss a wildcard on tie breakers. Eagles end up with pick 40. :D
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Disaster lol

Look, I’d rather the first round pick
Also I’m still kind of in Wentz’s corner and want him to do well
But the more likely scenario here is he probably isn’t very good haha
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wentz will be a very interesting watch in the next few years. He peaked very early in his career so we'll now see if the aberration is with that early success or his latest efforts. Any QB can look ordinary in an ordinary team and that's what the 2020 Pheagles were. He's going to a team coming off a much better year. Of course they had one of the better modern era QBs in Rivers. Many questions to be answered next season for both Wentz and the Colts.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 19, 2021, 4:10 pm Wentz will be a very interesting watch in the next few years. He peaked very early in his career so we'll now see if the aberration is with that early success or his latest efforts. Any QB can look ordinary in an ordinary team and that's what the 2020 Pheagles were. He's going to a team coming off a much better year. Of course they had one of the better modern era QBs in Rivers. Many questions to be answered next season for both Wentz and the Colts.
Yeah I think in a stable franchise with a good oline, running game and solid defence to lean on
He’ll be able to operate at his best

I really think (perhaps optimistically) he’s going to be good there. Not 2017 good, but something closer to 2019 than 2020
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sounds Ike the Dak deal is done:

According to CBS Sports:
"...Prescott stood firm and got his ask of four years, with a maximum value of $160 million with a record $126 million in guaranteed money, sources confirmed to CBS Sports. The total value can ultimately reach upwards of $164 million with escalators. ..."

NFL.com:
"...Dallas announced Monday the franchise has agreed to terms on a new contract with franchise quarterback Dak Prescott. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Prescott signed a four-year, $160 million deal to stay in Dallas.

The deal has a maximum value of $164 million, including $126 million in guaranteed money, and includes two key details: A no-trade clause, and a no-tag provision. Prescott's deal averages to $42 million a year over the first three seasons with $75 million in the first season and a $66 million signing bonus. ..."
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So the details are that it's actually a 6 year deal, but the final 2 years are voidable... basically just helps the Cowboys stretch out the signing bonus

Basically Dak got the deal he wanted. 40m a year, 4 years and he's hitting the market with no ability to be tagged or traded at age 31, where he'll cash in another MASSIVE deal
Big win for Dak and his representation. They won the starring contest with Jerreh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also let no QB ever again believe the risks of playing on a franchise tag. Dak broke his leg in 3 places, a truly gruesome injury from which he will likely make a full recovery but not guaranteed. And it did not effect his market one little bit'

Next time a team tries to strong arm a QB into take the money now and not risking the tag, they should laugh in the billionaire face
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Yep Dak gets the W here. The impending TV deals ultimately forced the Cowboys hand; they had to get Dak signed before the new TV contracts are in place, because once Goodell signs on the dotted line(s), player contracts are going to skyrocket.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: March 9, 2021, 11:20 am Yep Dak gets the W here. The impending TV deals ultimately forced the Cowboys hand; they had to get Dak signed before the new TV contracts are in place, because once Goodell signs on the dotted line(s), player contracts are going to skyrocket.
Yeah, it's not a bad result for Dallas obviously. I mean this is a good QB and they lock him up for the next few years
You're right about the TV deals too, the salary cap is probably going north of 250m next time Dak is up

Interesting period for Dallas though, really puts the pressure on them to win in the next 3 years.
Because on the 4th, they've got Dak playing to go into a completely open market and if they cant put a team around him to win, he's going to be able to pick a spot that suits him if not Dallas.

Fascinating next few years in Jerreh World
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

With FA salaries going through the roof it's now draft capital that's become the real value play. 10 years ago when rookie pay packets were disproportionately high you could easily play moneyball in the FA market. Now with the Rookie Wage Scale entrenched the disparity has well and truly swung the other way. Big $$ for proven QBs is still a safe bet got GMs.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Now or later, makes no difference in Big D. They wanna win every yr, the rest doesn't matter.

The difference this time is that, assuming Dak is fit, they might just have a offence that can get them there.
Q is, can they slap together a D to hold on???
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 12, 2021, 3:07 pm Now or later, makes no difference in Big D. They wanna win every yr, the rest doesn't matter.

The difference this time is that, assuming Dak is fit, they might just have a offence that can get them there.
Q is, can they slap together a D to hold on???
Sure. But the rub is, Dak is a free agent in 4 years, and a lame duck in 3
And there is nothing Dallas can do about it, he has all the leverage... so either they cant deliver him a ring, and that might be tough given the cap situation and the HC situation, he's three years away from absolutely breaking the bank again, or hitting TRUE free agency at 31. Fascinating.

If they win a title, Jerreh will pony up and on they march... but what if they dont, and frankly they probably wont. With all the leverage and no rings, is Jerreh gonna pull that trigger again? He barely wanted to do it this time, much to his teams detriment. They're going to be over a barrel next time with not franchise tag to save them. That's really very fascinating.

The timeline to win a title is now very much truncated. And Dak has all the leverage. IF they're doing a parade in Dallas in the next 4 years, this is all very easy. If they're not, it's going to be VERY interesting.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Yup
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Free Agency has began and 2023 cuts have began to get their money
THere is some CRAZY deals going around, but the most surprising thing is how desperate the Pats are and the money they've thrown around

Really excited to let it all settle and assess each team

Im a little detached from it this year emtionally since the eagles have absolutely no **** money whatsoever and their involvment is going to be shedding players, not adding :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seems the Cowboys are actually filling positions of need in FA. How novel.
Q is, are any of them good?

Keanu Neal - S - Atl - reunite with Quinn

Ty Nsekhe - T - Buff

Jake McQuaide - LS - Rams (sad to see Ladouceur go, was about to break Wittens games record)

Carlos Watkins - DT - Texans

Brent Urban - DE - Bears

Tarell Bashem - DE - Jets
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Eagles sign Joe Flacco as their backup QB.

With free agency wrapping up, it’s time to start seeing some version 1 mock drafts... who’s got one? Even if it’s only the top 15 picks, that should cover most of the teams that posters in this thread root for.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: March 24, 2021, 8:36 am Eagles sign Joe Flacco as their backup QB.

With free agency wrapping up, it’s time to start seeing some version 1 mock drafts... who’s got one? Even if it’s only the top 15 picks, that should cover most of the teams that posters in this thread root for.
We should a get one pick alternating in the 1st round. Of you're correct you get 1 point. Most points wins. I'll start.

1. Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence

:D
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Northern Raider wrote:
the bone wrote: March 24, 2021, 8:36 am Eagles sign Joe Flacco as their backup QB.

We should a get one pick alternating in the 1st round. Of you're correct you get 1 point. Most points wins. I'll start.

2. New York Jets - Zach Wilson

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Lucy wrote: March 24, 2021, 10:23 am
Northern Raider wrote:

2. New York Jets - Zach Wilson

Haha you say that in jest NR but I think it’s a good idea!

3. Dolphins - Ja’Marr Chase
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just means I get a 1 point head start. :lol:

There's a few that might jump in so we'll have to cap it at 8 contestants so minimum 4 picks each.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

4. Atlanta Falcons - Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

(FYI im as into the draft this year as i have been in years. Very good offensive draft, i like the draft at corner and safety too. DL and LB is weak imo)
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Pitts is a monster. Reports he ran a 4.46 at the Florida Pro Day too. I mean they are very heavily homer favoured, but nevertheless, he's quick.