2021 season predictions and previews

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

2021 season predictions and previews

Post by Wiki Special »

Interested in your predictions for the Raiders in Season 2021. Can be anything from team or individual performances, or on field or off field predictions. Mine would be;

*One of Guler or Horsburgh isn't in our best 17 come the big games.

*Jack Wighton joins Bradley Clyde as a 2 x Clive Churchill Medallist. In the same fashion, one from a winning team, one from a losing team.

*Hudson Young plays Origin.

*Sia Soliola keeps showing everyone what a class human he is as a representative of our Club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 season predictions

Post by greeneyed »

Wooden spoon specials and a shock coach axing: Every NRL club’s bold prediction for 2021

RAIDERS

Prediction: Curtis Scott will be Dally M Centre of the Year

Why: It is understandable why the Raiders’ star 2020 signing struggled so much last year as he dealt with the fallout from police charges that were later dropped. Scott’s first season in the nation’s capital were marred by the unwanted and unwarranted public attention that came with his court proceedings. Now with his name cleared the 23-year-old can get back to doing what he does best on the field provided he can have a little more luck with injuries that contributed to his poor 2020 season.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b20b2db009
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s quite a prediction!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's putting your **** nuts on the line :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

When I read it the words “**** nuts” appeared in my thoughts also...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

too often "bold predictions" arent really that bold... the man at least respected the task
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm hoping (and expecting) a massive improvement from him this year but when you have Staggs and Crichton clearly on the rise, that's a big call.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've seen nothing from Scott to indicate that will be the case, but my goodness we're in for a season if Curtis Scott gets centre of the year.

In saying that, I reckon it's the weakest position in the NRL these days.

Hats off to him for making that prediction.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If Curtis Scott is centre of the year I'll eat my hat.

He's never shown that sort of ability- even when he was riding high at a good club he was "adequate on the end of a good machine" kind of good. Melbourne outside back kind of good.

This kind of prediction is made knowing Curtis must almost certainly have a better season in 2021 because it's almost impossible to have a worse one.

I hope he has a good year and I think he'll become once again an adequate NRL centre, but his tendency to grab arms and shirts in defence isn't going away and I don't think he's suddenly going to develop Joey Leilua (hate all you want, he's a centre of the year) level attack.

I predict a middling C Scott season if he plays. But I'd rather see a Timoko season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 season predictions and previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders 2021 preview: Right edge renovation required

The Raiders gave the 2020 finals a red-hot crack despite injuries threatening to pitch Ricky Stuart into their front-row halfway through the season.

Now their big men are fighting fit once more and just as significantly, so is Josh Hodgson - adding yet another bow to one of the most entertaining attacking arsenals in the competition.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/17/rai ... -required/

VIDEO: Raiders' defensive issues on the edge: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/17/rai ... -the-edge/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Rapana features pretty heavily in that defensive video. Being played out of position wouldn't have helped.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: February 16, 2021, 8:25 pm If Curtis Scott is centre of the year I'll eat my hat.

He's never shown that sort of ability- even when he was riding high at a good club he was "adequate on the end of a good machine" kind of good. Melbourne outside back kind of good.

This kind of prediction is made knowing Curtis must almost certainly have a better season in 2021 because it's almost impossible to have a worse one.

I hope he has a good year and I think he'll become once again an adequate NRL centre, but his tendency to grab arms and shirts in defence isn't going away and I don't think he's suddenly going to develop Joey Leilua (hate all you want, he's a centre of the year) level attack.

I predict a middling C Scott season if he plays. But I'd rather see a Timoko season.
Plenty of average players improve when they go to Melbourne. Not many players improve after leaving there. Can't think of too many ex-Storm players that were stand outs for their new club.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Whipping boys set for flying start; warning signs for 2020 finalist: NRL ‘momentum’ ladder

Some say “momentum” is a myth but there’s plenty of sportspeople who will testify the phenomenon is a crucial ingredient to success.

MOMENTUM LADDER
Based on Rounds 16-20 of 2020

1 Panthers
2 Titans
3 Storm
4 Raiders

4 CANBERRA RAIDERS

Last 5 rounds: 4-0-1 (beat Bulldogs, lost to Roosters, beat Dragons, beat Warriors, beat Sharks)
For / against: 141-88 (+53)
Actual 2020 ladder position: 5th
Finals: Beat Sharks, beat Roosters, lost to Storm

Notable pre-season moments: The Raiders had a horror week when six players had to be disciplined for serious incidents.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ed0a371705
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2021, 9:17 am Canberra Raiders 2021 preview: Right edge renovation required

Now their big men are fighting fit once more and just as significantly, so is Josh Hodgson - adding yet another bow to one of the most entertaining attacking arsenals in the competition.
Must have been watching a different team to the one I was. :lol:

We had a couple of individual weapons, but were clunky as **** with the ball for most of the season.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Probably watched some 2016 highlights.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm hoping Scott has a good year. We need him to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Vossy’s NRL crystal ball: Top eight, runner up and premiers for season 2021

Check out Vossy’s Top 8 below:

1 Melbourne Storm (Premier)
2 South Sydney Rabbitohs (Runner-up)
3 Sydney Roosters
4 Parramatta Eels
5 Penrith Panthers
6 Canberra Raiders
7 Manly Sea Eagles
8 Gold Coast Titans

Read more and listen: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/16/ ... ason-2021/

Showing Rabbitohs bias there.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Manly rely heavily on TT so if he's fit they are top 8 imo.

It's hard to argue with the teams he selected. Not sure Parra are going to finish that high, but they should be in the 8.

I think 6 is about right for us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rabbitohs look strong to me. Backline looks very dangerous and will be far stronger with Mansour. Cook and Latrell will love the faster game. They have some mobile forwards but perhaps just lack a really good front rower. They're banking on Wayne squeezing a lot out of Knight and Nicholls I think.

If they can finish top 2 without a dominant front rower then the game really has changed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Panthers heading for nasty fall, Broncos to repeat unthinkable: 2021 expert predictions

MICK ENNIS

2021 PREMIERS: RAIDERS: They showed enormous resilience last year under the COVID affected season. I feel the team evolved mid-season, in particular English halfback George Williams. With Jack Wighton coming off a strong season and the return of Josh Hodgson, the Raiders will be there when the whips are cracking.

TOP 4: RAIDERS, ROOSTERS, STORM, RABBITOHS
2020 TOP 8 TEAM THAT WILL STRUGGLE IN 2021: PANTHERS
SPOON: DRAGONS
RISING STAR: HUDSON YOUNG
DALLY M MEDALLIST: HARRY GRANT

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c24bfab53f

Ben Ikin also tips the Raiders as premiers... Mal Meninga tips the Panthers. :|
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Might be a few eyes on Hudson Young this season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 18, 2021, 12:10 pm Might be a few eyes on Hudson Young this season.
Priority signing No. 1 at the moment.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2021, 12:34 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: February 18, 2021, 12:10 pm Might be a few eyes on Hudson Young this season.
Priority signing No. 1 at the moment.
thanks for jumping on to that for me ge
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:Might be a few eyes on Hudson Young this season.
as long as they're not on his fingers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

bonehead wrote:

A new contender for post of the year?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: February 18, 2021, 1:23 pm

Yeah, I couldn't help myself there.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: February 18, 2021, 1:23 pm

:roflmao
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I do not get all the hype for the Titans. They improved second half of last year and they can make the 8 on talent, but just do not see them threatening the big boys.
Maybe I am just use to them being near the bottom.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

1992 wrote: February 18, 2021, 4:05 pm I do not get all the hype for the Titans. They improved second half of last year and they can make the 8 on talent, but just do not see them threatening the big boys.
I see what you mean. Their squad on paper is better than it was- but still doesn't hold a candle to most other squads. And a few of the other battlers have improved theirs just as much or more.

I think the optimism around the Titans stems from the coach mostly. He really seems to have got a handle on things and has them moving solidly in the right direction. E.g they don't seem a hopeless rabble, their squad is slowly developing and he had them playing above expectations by the end of last year.

Whether that continues... we'll see. Maybe it's just easier for people to wish the Titans well because they never do any good. I don't see them in the 8 myself but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the 8-12 bunch with a good shot of making the finals come the last month of footy. Which isn't much but better than they usually do.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cameron Smith.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

BadnMean wrote: February 18, 2021, 4:43 pm
1992 wrote: February 18, 2021, 4:05 pm I do not get all the hype for the Titans. They improved second half of last year and they can make the 8 on talent, but just do not see them threatening the big boys.
I see what you mean. Their squad on paper is better than it was- but still doesn't hold a candle to most other squads. And a few of the other battlers have improved theirs just as much or more.

I think the optimism around the Titans stems from the coach mostly. He really seems to have got a handle on things and has them moving solidly in the right direction. E.g they don't seem a hopeless rabble, their squad is slowly developing and he had them playing above expectations by the end of last year.

Whether that continues... we'll see. Maybe it's just easier for people to wish the Titans well because they never do any good. I don't see them in the 8 myself but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the 8-12 bunch with a good shot of making the finals come the last month of footy. Which isn't much but better than they usually do.
they are going to be very exciting to watch, score plenty and let in plenty. Their recruitment and retention this offseason has been pretty much perfect. Cut all the expensive anchors, resigned the players they wanted and added some guns in Fifita, Tino and Ese'ese. There's still question marks on Taylor and this is a contract year for him so he has to perform. They are missing a hooker though, Rein and Boyd are pretty rubbish. Add Cam Smith and they can the comp.

The other Fifita they signed Sosefo, has gone under the radar. Some massive raps on him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I've been under the impression Cam Smith wasn't training with anyone and probably wouldn't play. Then again I actively avoid reading about him.

That certainly moves the needle into top 8 territory.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: February 19, 2021, 5:59 am I've been under the impression Cam Smith wasn't training with anyone and probably wouldn't play. Then again I actively avoid reading about him.

Mal Meninga made clear yesterday the Titans have never spoken to Cam Smith, no plans to, don’t have room for him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2021, 6:24 am
BadnMean wrote: February 19, 2021, 5:59 am I've been under the impression Cam Smith wasn't training with anyone and probably wouldn't play. Then again I actively avoid reading about him.

Mal Meninga made clear yesterday the Titans have never spoken to Cam Smith, no plans to, don’t have room for him.
Was it a real denial or one of those, "the coach has the full support of the board" denials?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: February 19, 2021, 7:22 am
greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2021, 6:24 am

Was it a real denial or one of those, "the coach has the full support of the board" denials?
The CEO has also denied, saying it’s great publicity for them, but there’s nothing to it. They’re real denials.