Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by -TW- »

gangrenous wrote:
RedRaider wrote: Another example of elimination strategy not working, until there is widespread application of the vaccine.

Again - Elimination strategy doesn’t mean you can’t have leaks from quarantine! That does not represent a failure of an Elimination strategy!
Exactly, the outbreaks from quarantine have been eliminated on multiple occasions.

There's zero widespread community spread currently

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Watching the test cricket in India with crowds in the stands. For a country with 10 million cases and 150k recorded deaths it doesn't look like they give a ****. Have to wonder how many unrecorded cases and deaths there have been.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider: the sky is green
gangrenous: no, the sky is not green
RedRaider: this expert group says the sky is defined as the region extending to the troposphere. Here is a link on the troposphere. Why are you arguing with sky experts?

SMDH
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Leaks are going to keep happening. Some states need to lift their game in terms of contact tracing capacity. Feds need to lift their game on sorting out a better solution. If they had of started on it back in March and thrown a truck load of cash at it, we could have had a quarantine facilty and appropriate attached medical facility in the sticks by now.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:Watching the test cricket in India with crowds in the stands. For a country with 10 million cases and 150k recorded deaths it doesn't look like they give a ****. Have to wonder how many unrecorded cases and deaths there have been.
It's weird cause the first test had zero crowd.

I haven't really looked to see where it's played, but I can only assume there's not a lot of cases in that part of India

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

News stories on Facebook about the vaccine arriving in the country today. Comments are loaded with anti-vaxers with some incredibly twisted logic. It's mind boggling how stupid these people are.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: February 15, 2021, 7:50 pm RedRaider: the sky is green
RedRaider: this expert group says the sky is defined as the region extending to the troposphere. Here is a link on the troposphere. Why are you arguing with sky experts?

SMDH
Meanwhile back in the real world:
The AHPPC experts say we are pursuing a Suppression strategy. I have previously provided the link.
Until their advice changes, a suppression strategy it is.
I'll be listening to what the experts in their field say the strategy is, rather than you.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Coronavirus

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Watching the test cricket in India with crowds in the stands. For a country with 10 million cases and 150k recorded deaths it doesn't look like they give a ****. Have to wonder how many unrecorded cases and deaths there have been.
It’s probably because India’s active cases and deathrate have both plummeted recently... experts aren’t really sure why
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:

SMDH
The AHPPC experts say we are pursuing a Suppression strategy. I have previously provided the link.
I'll be listening to what the experts in their field say the strategy is, rather than you.
RedRaider misses the point of my post for the second time. The streak continues.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:News stories on Facebook about the vaccine arriving in the country today. Comments are loaded with anti-vaxers with some incredibly twisted logic. It's mind boggling how stupid these people are.
An old high school friend has been spruiking for months that Covid is a hoax. His whole Schtick is to challenge what you read in mainstream media but when I constantly challenged his opinion and lack of logic he asked me to unfollow him. These people should be made to work in quarantine hotels or intensive care without ppe.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: February 16, 2021, 6:26 am
Northern Raider wrote:News stories on Facebook about the vaccine arriving in the country today. Comments are loaded with anti-vaxers with some incredibly twisted logic. It's mind boggling how stupid these people are.
An old high school friend has been spruiking for months that Covid is a hoax. His whole Schtick is to challenge what you read in mainstream media but when I constantly challenged his opinion and lack of logic he asked me to unfollow him. These people should be made to work in quarantine hotels or intensive care without ppe.

I always just ask them why three and a half thousand people a day are currently dying in the US, that tends to slow them down a bit.

It's easy for Australians to pretend COVID doesn't exist because we're one of only a few places in the world where life is "relatively" normal, a bit harder when you live in the US or UK (although, based on the number of American non-believers I'll concede it's not impossible).

So, in summary, conspiracy theorists are **** idiots.

Thanks for listening.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Astra Zeneca vaccine has TGA approval today. I understand CSL will manufacture around one million doses per week up to 50 million doses.
My wife and I are in group 2A of the vaccine distribution and will have the vaccine as soon as it is available to us.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

RedRaider wrote:

SMDH
It's clear that every state except NSW is following an elimination strategy.

You don't lock down as soon as someone sneezes if it's a suppression strategy, you trust your tracing mechanisms and isolate positive cases and their contacts whilst maintaining normality.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 16, 2021, 6:26 am

I always just ask them why three and a half thousand people a day are currently dying in the US, that tends to slow them down a bit.

It's easy for Australians to pretend COVID doesn't exist because we're one of only a few places in the world where life is "relatively" normal, a bit harder when you live in the US or UK (although, based on the number of American non-believers I'll concede it's not impossible).

So, in summary, conspiracy theorists are **** idiots.

Thanks for listening.
The tipping point for him was me responding to his complaints about the airline industry because he couldn't go on holiday to Thailand easily. He wanted the doors thrown open to the rest of the world... But the thing is he is a small business owner/operator that relies on human interaction (basically runs a boot camp). He just can't comprehend that if things got worse here his business would be shutdown. Either that or me accusing him of spreading his 'bro science'.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: February 16, 2021, 12:46 pm
RedRaider wrote:

SMDH

You don't lock down as soon as someone sneezes if it's a suppression strategy, you trust your tracing mechanisms and isolate positive cases and their contacts whilst maintaining normality.

Exactly.

They don't want to publicly commit to having an elimination strategy as that leaves them wide open to political and public criticism.

All evidence suggests that every State and Territory has implemented it though. Obviously none of them want to be seen as the state that stuffs it up (again).
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Y’all going to encourage RedRaider that his strawman was the actual conversation
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

SMDH

It's all semantics really. The original strategy was suppression. I think that everyone was suprised that the original lockdown was so successful in eliminating the virus from many states. They all have a goal of getting to zero community transmissions, it's just that NSW doesn't believe that you have to lock down to get there. And they are right.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:

"Vaccines aren't studied."
When vaccines are studied "Humans aren't Guinea Pigs"

"Do your own research. No not from a credible source, from one of these antvaxx echochambers you sheeple!"

"Question everything! No not me don't question me. Question everything else!"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: February 16, 2021, 6:11 pm
gergreg wrote:

"Do your own research. No not from a credible source, from one of these antvaxx echochambers you sheeple!"

There's still a disturbing number of people who think the vaccine is causing deaths.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gergreg wrote:

To begin with it was a hoax so wealthy people could get wealthier and I was a sheep for believing mainstream media. I questioned it, of course, and was provided with a fox news article for reference. So I questioned why fox news wasn't considered mainstream media - which would also make them sheep for believing it?

I also questioned who set the rules of which wealthy people were allowed to get wealthier because quite clearly some wealthy people have lost a **** load in this pandemic, so who sets the bar? But the ultimate irony is all this fearmongering taking place on Facebook, run by one of the wealthiest and influential people in the world.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pretty obvious the toilet paper manufacturers are behind it all.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Big TP don’t take no crap
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: February 16, 2021, 6:09 pmIt's all semantics really. The original strategy was suppression. I think that everyone was suprised that the original lockdown was so successful in eliminating the virus from many states. They all have a goal of getting to zero community transmissions, it's just that NSW doesn't believe that you have to lock down to get there. And they are right.
Agree Doc Z. There is a clear example by NSW of how to manage through with targeted measures. Dare I say, a suppression strategy. Blanket lockdowns hurt people who are far from any cluster and who have extremely low probability of Covid infection. Eg casual workers in Victoria just lost their income for up to 5 days. That would not only hurt them financially plus the anguish produced through no fault of their own. Without knowing all of the reasons for the AHPPC advice I think they have taken a broader medical view that it is not only the Covid virus which needs to be contained, it is the affect on mental health which also needs consideration. I think the AHPPC have it right.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So I got a text last night and then a second text from Queensland Health this morning notifying me that I am Category 1A for the vaccine, and to complete a consent form. Probably because I have two positions at Queensland Health. Seems there is some potential inefficiencies in the system. I'm wondering if I should be greedy and take them both?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:So I got a text last night and then a second text from Queensland Health this morning notifying me that I am Category 1A for the vaccine, and to complete a consent form. Probably because I have two positions at Queensland Health. Seems there is some potential inefficiencies in the system. I'm wondering if I should be greedy and take them both?
That would be really irresponsible doc. It could totally mess with Bill's tracking devices.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

One in each arm doc. Twice as effective. Should be 180% or so
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2021, 1:53 pm One in each arm doc. Twice as effective. Should be 180% or so
This is what I'm thinking. It might make me repel it away from people near me
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
The Nickman wrote: December 9, 2020, 6:16 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:650k by June. What happens after that depends on the vaccine.
Higher
Yeah, looking at some of the projections you're probably right. Looks like they are tracking towards over 500m by the end of Feb.

That dip**** Trump would have won the election and hundreds of thousands of people would have been saved if he had only treated this thing seriously.

In saying that, they asked for it I guess.
They’ll pass 300k in the next 24 hours. 400k before the end of January.

February will depend on whether they’re still speeding up or slowing down by then. Could honestly go either way.

500k looks like a solid bet though.
As predicted in early December, the US has hit 500k deaths in February.

Cue further mocking by Azza
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well Covid 19 expert Nicholas Man.... if you're right 49% of the time, you're wrong 51% of the time.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: February 23, 2021, 9:24 am Well Covid 19 expert Nicholas Man.... if you're right 49% of the time, you're wrong 51% of the time.
This latest prediction may have tipped the balance the other way. Could be 51% right now.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How about the doc who gave 2 elderly patients in a Qld retirement home 4 times the recommended dosage of COVID- 19 vaccine...

Wow.

Turns out the doc didn’t get sufficient training..he’s been stood down.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: February 24, 2021, 5:21 pm How about the doc who gave 2 elderly patients in a Qld retirement home 4 times the recommended dosage of COVID- 19 vaccine...

Wow.

I'm far from a medical expert but how much training does a qualified GP need to administer a vaccine?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: February 24, 2021, 5:23 pm
-PJ- wrote: February 24, 2021, 5:21 pm How about the doc who gave 2 elderly patients in a Qld retirement home 4 times the recommended dosage of COVID- 19 vaccine...

Wow.

I'm far from a medical expert but how much training does a qualified GP need to administer a vaccine?
Exactly..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wow.

And they're both fine, go figure.

It's almost like vaccines aren't harmful or something.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: February 24, 2021, 5:49 pm

Wow.

And they're both fine, go figure.

It's almost like vaccines aren't harmful or something.
I think the biggest risk with stuffing up the dose is reducing the effectiveness of the vaccine.