Ryan James signs with Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Ryan James signs with Raiders

Post by FROG »

Injury is the obvious concern with him. Like you, i reckon if he can stay fit, weve pulled off an exceptional signing. Think of the pressure youd be under being captain of the titans. He'd feel like a new bloke at the moment
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

be interesting if stick plays him on the edge, he was going to at the titans last season and we are obviously stacked in the middle

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

bonehead wrote:be interesting if stick plays him on the edge, he was going to at the titans last season and we are obviously stacked in the middle

I mentioned that James would provide some cover for the edge earlier when the signing was announced (and got shot down for it).

In my opinion, he’s here as a middle but he adds a bit of value/versatility to be able to play edge if needed (that is if Whitehead,
Young, CHN are unavailable).

Very good signing of his knees hold up

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:Yeah - as much as I love Nico and wanted him to stay, I'm glad we stuck to our principles on this one. That's not to say he isn't currently the best player in our backline, IMO he undoubtedly is, but all you're doing is kicking the can down the road if you're forking out a fair whack more than what you've valued him at.

I recently had a look at some 2017 and 2018 highlights, and it was quite staggering to see the different kind of effect he had on the way we played, which formed the basis for why he became so highly rated. The same kinda angled, infield runs, but for far greater profit.

It seems to me that teams have wised up to him a lot, committing more numbers and working hard not to stagger their line when he's looking to cut back in and break tackles. Even though he's still a high quality player and hasn't lost any physical attributes that I can see, it's reduced his efficacy a lot and made him lose a bit of that 'wow' factor'.
Cotric a better player than Wighton and Williams? I'd almost also have CNK as being more important to our side than Cotric too.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dusty wrote:
bonehead wrote:be interesting if stick plays him on the edge, he was going to at the titans last season and we are obviously stacked in the middle

I mentioned that James would provide some cover for the edge earlier when the signing was announced (and got shot down for it).

In my opinion, he’s here as a middle but he adds a bit of value/versatility to be able to play edge if needed (that is if Whitehead,
Young, CHN are unavailable).

Very good signing of his knees hold up

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
yeah I understand that too just think he looks fairly light

Edrick The Entertainer
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Ryan James will fire up and we will be forever in his debt.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bouncing back with the Canberra Raiders: Ryan James out to make up for lost time

As he nears an NRL return after almost two years out, Raiders recruit Ryan James believes he can recapture the form that drove him to the cusp of State of Origin.

"Looking at it when I was coming down, I was throwing up between a couple of different teams, but when I saw the depth and the experience that we had here, and with some players leaving those other clubs, the Raiders definitely stuck out above the rest. Being able to play deep into the finals is one of my goals at this club, and then obviously cracking the team and playing consistent footy."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/08/bou ... ar-layoff/
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I really think only injuries can prevent James from being one of our best forwards this year. He’s naturally so talented and his work ethic is sensational. He’ll also be shouldering far less of the burden than his Titans days when he was pretty much responsible for the whole pack. I love the idea of him playing 20-40 minutes giving it everything.

Of course, he’s had a bad history of injuries so it’s a pretty big ‘only’. But I’m very hopeful.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I've said it before, but I think he and Papa will rotate the 80 minutes, meaning there's always a top class, lead by example prop on the paddock.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I was very surprised by this signing considering our crazy forward depth, but I am liking it more and more.
James is a former captain and a very experienced player.
The man deserves some luck and if he can avoid serious injury I think we all know he will be great.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bargain price if he stays fit. I think he will relish his time with senior professionals Papa, Soliola and Lui. Hodgson is a great dummy half for forwards.

He won’t have an easy ride with so many options at Stuart’s disposal.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I really like these kind of signings - relatively low risk and potentially high reward.

In years gone by we were dudded with a few crocks like Matt Bickerstaff, Glen Turner and Matt Orford, but if his knee comes up OK, James could be as good for us as veterans like Scotty Logan or Colin Best.

He reminds me of Shillo in a few ways. Sometimes maligned by the fans, but I reckon he can be a real leader off the park and can have some real impact on it. He'll definitely be keen to impress.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 10, 2021, 4:35 pm I really like these kind of signings - relatively low risk and potentially high reward.

In years gone by we were dudded with a few crocks like Matt Bickerstaff, Glen Turner and Matt Orford, but if his knee comes up OK, James could be as good for us as veterans like Scotty Logan or Colin Best.

He reminds me of Shillo in a few ways. Sometimes maligned by the fans, but I reckon he can be a real leader off the park and can have some real impact on it. He'll definitely be keen to impress.
Apparently he’s impressed staff and juniors.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 10, 2021, 4:35 pm I really like these kind of signings - relatively low risk and potentially high reward.

Agree with this. The big difference between James and those first names you named is our situation is a lot better, so we're not as desperate for him to produce like we were with pretty much every signing during those days, and he's also coming for cheap unlike the all-the-eggs-in-one-busted-basket Orford deal.

Interesting comparison with Shillo. You might be right. I'm sure fans will be dirty with James if he gives away as many penalties as he did at times with the Titans. But I think his on-field contribution will be more easy to notice than Shillo's.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Ruben Daley wrote: February 10, 2021, 7:23 pm

Agree with this. The big difference between James and those first names you named is our situation is a lot better, so we're not as desperate for him to produce like we were with pretty much every signing during those days, and he's also coming for cheap unlike the all-the-eggs-in-one-busted-basket Orford deal.

Interesting comparison with Shillo. You might be right. I'm sure fans will be dirty with James if he gives away as many penalties as he did at times with the Titans. But I think his on-field contribution will be more easy to notice than Shillo's.
Like Shillo he will leave nothing in the tank... ;)
I'll be interested to see what pace/power he has after his long injury lay off. I'm not really expecting a lot early in the season. I am hoping he will be a solid contributor for the Raiders at rep season time when I expect us to have a couple of middle forwards at above Club level.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Shillington was a much better prop than Ryan James.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: February 10, 2021, 7:49 pm

Like Shillo he will leave nothing in the tank... ;)
I'll be interested to see what pace/power he has after his long injury lay off. I'm not really expecting a lot early in the season. I am hoping he will be a solid contributor for the Raiders at rep season time when I expect us to have a couple of middle forwards at above Club level.
That is a good approach because this is very achievable. Having someone of his calibre step in during Origin will be priceless.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky has a plan along the same lines. Perhaps even with the view to ease him into the season and aim for him to be at his peak come finals.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The last time the Titans made the finals in 2016 it was on the back of a decent year from James and Greg Bird. Shillo was in that squad too, but was well past his best with those pec injuries.

You're right, he won't have anywhere near the same pressure here to perform and lead the pack. I'm not expecting a huge amount from him, but the bloke has a fair amount of skill for a big unit and certainly has the ability to punch out 20-30 quality minutes a game. In his last full season in 2018 he was averaging 35 tackles and 105 metres a game at about 7.6 m per carry. Better numbers than any of our middles last year except Papa's and Tapine's carries. I don't expect he'll carry the same defensive burden he had at the Titans either.

Time will tell.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

sprintman wrote: February 10, 2021, 6:58 pm

Apparently he’s impressed staff and juniors.
He looks fit an motivated. That's a start.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: February 10, 2021, 9:09 pm Shillington was a much better prop than Ryan James.
I doubt anyone is expecting James to be better than Shillington. Shillington was largely a nobody before he arrived here and rapidly became the world's best front rower in 2010.

My comparison was largely about his leadership on and off the park.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: February 10, 2021, 9:09 pm Shillington was a much better prop than Ryan James.
I dont know what it was about Shillo, but he was never given his due on this website by a lot of people. Maybe it was the empty the tank and his willingness to criticise the fanbase for the way it was treating the team.

But he was a stud for us, and one of the best forwards in the world for most of his time with us.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Botman wrote: February 11, 2021, 8:01 am
I dont know what it was about Shillo, but he was never given his due on this website by a lot of people. Maybe it was the empty the tank and his willingness to criticise the fanbase for the way it was treating the team.

But he was a stud for us, and one of the best forwards in the world for most of his time with us.
During a tough period for the club he definitely was a big player for us. That said, I struggle to remember any 'stand out' performances of his? My recollection is of reliable, strong and consistent metres and strong defence. Whereas when I think paps I conjure up ridiculous tries to win games, big metres, offloads, HITS, humans being left in the wake of a living God, Gallen, presence, moisturiser....

From my perspective shillo was a great stats player (consistent metres, hit ups etc) but not a great highlight reel, scare-the-opposition-sh1tless player. And, he sounded like he breathed 2 parts helium 1 part oxygen.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:

Telling the supporters how to support their team pissed a lot of people off

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i get that... i also get those fans who were pissed off are also a lot of the type of people who yell obscenities at the players when they **** up in game... cant even imagine how the fans might have reacted if Shillington had called them any number of the names he got called over the years. :lol:

maybe instead of asking the fans not to boo them, he should have just called them "soft" or "**** ****" or "useless" etc... would have made for good fun, i reckon!

And FWIW, i got no issue with that either. Im a fan, i get emotional, i do it... but i guess im not precious enough to get upset if a player decides to quite politely hit back :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Old School Green wrote: February 11, 2021, 1:15 pm

During a tough period for the club he definitely was a big player for us. That said, I struggle to remember any 'stand out' performances of his? My recollection is of reliable, strong and consistent metres and strong defence. Whereas when I think paps I conjure up ridiculous tries to win games, big metres, offloads, HITS, humans being left in the wake of a living God, Gallen, presence, moisturiser....

From my perspective shillo was a great stats player (consistent metres, hit ups etc) but not a great highlight reel, scare-the-opposition-sh1tless player. And, he sounded like he breathed 2 parts helium 1 part oxygen.
Sums it up, really.

High quality prop, very reliable, but not a player who got on the front foot and really imposed himself on the opposition like some other forwards can. If he did have those attributes he'd be a shoe-in for our greatest ever side IMO.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Shilo was the kind of prop you want alongside a Papalli. Does the hard yards, consistently with little fuss.

He was always far more professional than the likes of Carney, Dugan and Ferguson and I don’t think he was too happy at their off field professionalism.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

He was immense in 2010. Not Papalii scary, but the bloke was the dominant front rower in the comp that season. Regressed a bit after that and then the pec injury really did him in, but at his best he was huge for us.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:Yeah i get that... i also get those fans who were pissed off are also a lot of the type of people who yell obscenities at the players when they **** up in game... cant even imagine how the fans might have reacted if Shillington had called them any number of the names he got called over the years. Image

maybe instead of asking the fans not to boo them, he should have just called them "soft" or "**** ****" or "useless" etc... would have made for good fun, i reckon!

And FWIW, i got no issue with that either. Im a fan, i get emotional, i do it... but i guess im not precious enough to get upset if a player decides to quite politely hit back Image
To be fair, it was after the Titans game where the team didn't bother making an effort to turn up, and you could see it in their body language.

They were down 24-0 at half time and rightfully got booed off the park.

People are paying good money to watch you play, make a **** effort or deal with it if you get booed off the park when you don't.

I'm pretty sure the club pulled his article after that comment he made as well.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ryan James has been training very well and is setting a good example

Injury aside, this guy should be a great buy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Old School Green wrote: February 11, 2021, 1:15 pm

Old School, I have 3 main memories of Shillo. The bomb he kicked which led to a try against the Knights, the 2 tries he scored in one game and the head butt send off against Aaron Woods in his 200th game close to finals time with us battling to make the semis. I don't know if he had a ghost writer for his comments but he will always be remembered for his week after week of leaving nothing in the tank. It became a running joke on here and in the end I reckon he was saying it as a gee up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: February 11, 2021, 4:57 pm To be fair, it was after the Titans game where the team didn't bother making an effort to turn up, and you could see it in their body language.

People are paying good money to watch you play, make a **** effort or deal with it if you get booed off the park when you don't.

And to be fair to him, long before that, when he was the only representative player in our football team, a staple of a dominant QLD pack, representing Australia and putting up HUGE efforts for the Raiders week in and week out, he still had people in his own fan base who called him "Pillow", "Soft" etc.

Again, that's fine... fans pay to get into the game and they can use that time to support (or not) the team any which way they please. As a paying fan you get to say your piece. But you dont get to say your piece and pretend you're outraged when a player decides to say his peice. Especially when it's delivered as politely as Shillo did (and tbh he didnt have any other way of being, probably why he lacked that intimidating factor spoken above, it's just not his nature)

The empty the tank bit was genuinely **** great though :lol:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Botman wrote: February 11, 2021, 7:43 pm
-TW- wrote: February 11, 2021, 4:57 pm To be fair, it was after the Titans game where the team didn't bother making an effort to turn up, and you could see it in their body language.

And to be fair to him, long before that, when he was the only representative player in our football team, a staple of a dominant QLD pack, representing Australia and putting up HUGE efforts for the Raiders week in and week out, he still had people in his own fan base who called him "Pillow", "Soft" etc.

Again, that's fine... fans pay to get into the game and they can use that time to support (or not) the team any which way they please. As a paying fan you get to say your piece. But you dont get to say your piece and pretend you're outraged when a player decides to say his peice. Especially when it's delivered as politely as Shillo did (and tbh he didnt have any other way of being, probably why he lacked that intimidating factor spoken above, it's just not his nature)

Agree with you, Botman. Shillo was a pro on and off the field in a time when that was disappointingly uncommon, gave us his all and was rep player. And yet he had to wear the Pillow nickname and never get any love. It's got to be frustrating. His legacy certainly isn't equal to his contribution.

As for comments above about his lack of highlights, that's probably true to an extent and he was no Papa (who is?) but I think people forget he could put on a shot, particularly before the shoulder charge got banned. I remember him regularly trying to put on a hit to change the momentum in games when it was needed. He just didn't have Papa's ability to pull them off.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ruben Daley wrote: February 11, 2021, 8:06 pm
Botman wrote: February 11, 2021, 7:43 pm

Agree with you, Botman. Shillo was a pro on and off the field in a time when that was disappointingly uncommon, gave us his all and was rep player. And yet he had to wear the Pillow nickname and never get any love. It's got to be frustrating. His legacy certainly isn't equal to his contribution.

As for comments above about his lack of highlights, that's probably true to an extent and he was no Papa (who is?) but I think people forget he could put on a shot, particularly before the shoulder charge got banned. I remember him regularly trying to put on a hit to change the momentum in games when it was needed. He just didn't have Papa's ability to pull them off.
Agree Shillo wasn’t rated highly enough on here, either as a player or as a person. I found him one of the most personable people at the Raiders (he certainly wasn’t on his own there - we had guys like Tongue, Campo, Thommo and Joshy Miller who were all great) and he was a gun player.

The thing about Shillo was when he was asked a question he gave an honest answer, he is a far smarter bloke than many in RL and at times that was to his detriment because it came across as arrogant but in my experience he was anything but.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'd prefer that he is referred to as 'Noosa Pirates Prop Dave Shillington' in future, thanks.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Noosa Pirates have a very good standard, on and off field.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.