NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Have u guys heard the Wheeler stuff?!? Crazy crazy stuff.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 28, 2021, 9:27 pm Have u guys heard the Wheeler stuff?!? Crazy crazy stuff.
Yeah i was reading about it yesterday
My goodness... what a monster. Hopefully he's dealt with to the fullest extent of the law. Suffice to say his football career is over
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Just read it. Presumption of innocence etc etc but if true he needs to be locked up. I reckon he was off his tree on certain substances.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Deshaun Watson has officially requested a trade. He had a "no trade" clause in his contract so he had to instigate this. Speculation abounds on his trade value. One thing in common the price is huge. Most are suggesting the Jets sending Darnold plus their multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. Not a bad result for Texans as they could reclaim a lot of capital they traded away recently. With so many holes to fill they need the quantity of picks.

By contrast the Jets would be putting a lot of eggs into the Watson basket. Risky strategy given they have a very thin roster across the board.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2021, 10:20 am Deshaun Watson has officially requested a trade. He had a "no trade" clause in his contract so he had to instigate this. Speculation abounds on his trade value. One thing in common the price is huge. Most are suggesting the Jets sending Darnold plus their multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. Not a bad result for Texans as they could reclaim a lot of capital they traded away recently. With so many holes to fill they need the quantity of picks.

By contrast the Jets would be putting a lot of eggs into the Watson basket. Risky strategy given they have a very thin roster across the board.
It is pretty wild that a QB as good as Watson could be traded in the middle of his prime
The compensation is hard because there is literally no trade to compare it too... If im the Texans, understanding the leverage i have with a iron clad contract he cant get out of...

Im not taking anything less than a haul that includes 3 firsts, and 3 other round 2-3 picks... and if the Jets would like to throw in Sam Darnold instead of one of those day 2 picks, fine... 3 firsts a 2nd, 3rd and Darnold... that's what the offer has to be for me to even sit down and discuss it with my organisation.

Anything less than that is a hard no.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 29, 2021, 11:04 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2021, 10:20 am Deshaun Watson has officially requested a trade. He had a "no trade" clause in his contract so he had to instigate this. Speculation abounds on his trade value. One thing in common the price is huge. Most are suggesting the Jets sending Darnold plus their multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. Not a bad result for Texans as they could reclaim a lot of capital they traded away recently. With so many holes to fill they need the quantity of picks.

It is pretty wild that a QB as good as Watson could be traded in the middle of his prime
The compensation is hard because there is literally no trade to compare it too... If im the Texans, understanding the leverage i have with a iron clad contract he cant get out of...

Im not taking anything less than a haul that includes 3 firsts, and 3 other round 2-3 picks... and if the Jets would like to throw in Sam Darnold instead of one of those day 2 picks, fine... 3 firsts a 2nd, 3rd and Darnold... that's what the offer has to be for me to even sit down and discuss it with my organisation.

Anything less than that is a hard no.
Yeah, the price could be through the roof even in a normal scenario of trading away a top shelf QB. The wrinkle here is Texans don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year. Even more so that its a top 5 pick they miss. Could be a Hershel Walker like trade.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dolphins should offer picks no3 and no36 just for the pisstake. :D
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2021, 4:22 pm Dolphins should offer picks no3 and no36 just for the pisstake. :D
Throw in Tua and i reckon it's as good a starting point as any for putting together a deal.
Add this years 3rd, a first and second next year, and that's a very good haul and actually wouldnt decimate the Dolphins drafts, they can take that on
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 29, 2021, 7:08 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2021, 4:22 pm Dolphins should offer picks no3 and no36 just for the pisstake. :D
Throw in Tua and i reckon it's as good a starting point as any for putting together a deal.
Add this years 3rd, a first and second next year, and that's a very good haul and actually wouldnt decimate the Dolphins drafts, they can take that on
You may have missed my subtle dig. Picks 3 and 36 are Texans original picks that they traded to Miami in the Tunsil deal. :)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2021, 10:44 pm
You may have missed my subtle dig. Picks 3 and 36 are Texans original picks that they traded to Miami in the Tunsil deal. :)
No, I got it haha
I was just saying sending their own picks back, with Tua is probably like 60% of the way to a Watson deal
Which would be absolutely hilarious
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Nick Caserio and David Culley have both come out and said they have no interest in trading Deshaun Watson. I knew this wouldn’t go anywhere.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah look im pretty skeptical of this amounting to anything myself, but even if they were absolutely certain that they were trading him, Culley and Caserio would say the same thing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 29, 2021, 8:15 am
Matt wrote: January 28, 2021, 9:27 pm Have u guys heard the Wheeler stuff?!? Crazy crazy stuff.
Yeah i was reading about it yesterday
My goodness... what a monster. Hopefully he's dealt with to the fullest extent of the law. Suffice to say his football career is over
Indeed. Awful stuff
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 30, 2021, 6:58 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 29, 2021, 10:44 pm
No, I got it haha
I was just saying sending their own picks back, with Tua is probably like 60% of the way to a Watson deal
Which would be absolutely hilarious
If a deal like that gets tabled, you watch the Cowboys deal Dak for the same. Coz we can't afford to pay him next yr in the Covid reduced figure. However... I dont think we can afford to lose him either.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dan Quinn is sniffing around at 1 of his old boys, 1 Mr Sherman. I likely
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 30, 2021, 7:23 pm Dan Quinn is sniffing around at 1 of his old boys, 1 Mr Sherman. I likely
Think there is a really good chance Saleh takes Sherm with him to the Jets to help establish a new culture there. He can still play at a reasonably high level, but he's going to be dropping at a rate of knots at his age, i think he's probably more useful at a rebuilding team as a leader and second coach than he is as an actual footballer... Dallas would be wise to look elsewhere to solve their CB's problem
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 30, 2021, 7:27 pm
Matt wrote: January 30, 2021, 7:23 pm Dan Quinn is sniffing around at 1 of his old boys, 1 Mr Sherman. I likely
Think there is a really good chance Saleh takes Sherm with him to the Jets to help establish a new culture there. He can still play at a reasonably high level, but he's going to be dropping at a rate of knots at his age, i think he's probably more useful at a rebuilding team as a leader and second coach than he is as an actual footballer... Dallas would be wise to look elsewhere to solve their CB's problem
Unless Sewell falls to us at 10, I think we take Surtain or Farley. Even with Sherman, I think we do that TBH
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, 2 first round picks and a third... MAJOR move
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 31, 2021, 1:33 pm Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, 2 first round picks and a third... MAJOR move
Wild! Love the move by the Rams. Stafford’s a decent upgrade over Goff and I admire they’re willingness to trade away first round picks for proven talent; always betting on themselves to make deep playoff runs meaning late picks anyway. Their last first round pick was incidentally Goff, and now they won’t have another one until at least 2024. That is crazy!

And I like it for Detroit too. Pick up two first rounders and a third, and throw in Goff who at a minimum will be a bridge to their future QB, or at best an above average starter.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I actually don’t like to much for either

The Rams spent a lot simply to get out of the goff deal... they’ll be good because Stafford is good and the system is good so it will probably work out OK for them so long as they nailed the other aspects of the draft but it’s a lot and the team is still extremely too heavy

For the lions, the picks aren’t coming this year, they’re going to be high mid 20’s picks and also, Jared Goff has looked very ordinary with McVey
I’m very concerned about how badly he could look outside it

Still it’s fun as hell. I love this ****
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I dont see the upside for anyone.

Stafford is 33, and while QBs can play til 40, surely he is more likely a mid 30s finisher. So Rams might have 3 or 4yrs good yrs left. However, its not like Stafford was that great this yr, a very middle of the road QB record this yr. Proven talent or not, those picks look pretty high for an older QB.

As for Lions, you are buying a very expensive backup. That said, the picks will help them improve their team over the next couple of seasons. So they better hit on a QB this yr, coz I agree with Botman, they will be mid to late 1s, not early 1s. So you are getting really good players, not blue chip premium players.

However, looks like this preseason could get crazy. Bit like 2 or 3 yrs ago, when everyone seemed to change clubs
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This is just the beginning lads

Adam Schefter thinks up to 18 teams might have new starting qbs next year

This off season and draft I think is going to be wild with the qb driven decisions
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:I dont see the upside for anyone.

Stafford is 33, and while QBs can play til 40, surely he is more likely a mid 30s finisher. So Rams might have 3 or 4yrs good yrs left. However, its not like Stafford was that great this yr, a very middle of the road QB record this yr. Proven talent or not, those picks look pretty high for an older QB.

As for Lions, you are buying a very expensive backup. That said, the picks will help them improve their team over the next couple of seasons. So they better hit on a QB this yr, coz I agree with Botman, they will be mid to late 1s, not early 1s. So you are getting really good players, not blue chip premium players.

However, looks like this preseason could get crazy. Bit like 2 or 3 yrs ago, when everyone seemed to change clubs
Stafford didn't look himself this year. I don't know whether it's a natural decline or him wanting out of that **** hole.

Botman.. I hope Giants are in this QB merry go round.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: January 31, 2021, 5:35 pm Botman.. I hope Giants are in this QB merry go round.
I too hope my Eagles on the merry go round every odd day, even days i still think we can get Wentz back... maybe not to 2017 levels where he was the best QB in the league but to 2018-19 levels where he was a top 10 QB.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The eagles finalising a deal with the bears to trade Wentz
Based on reporting, I think it’ll be done within the next few hours

Terms I’ve seen floated is Wentz for 20th pick, Tarik Cohen and lololol BIG DICK NICK!

Haha. Amazing
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Crowd restricted to 25,000... but absolutely no social distancing. Crammed everyone into the lower tiers it seems. Saw the health workers were required to be vaccinated, so maybe that's why. Also seems to be due to cardboard cutouts in parts.

Going for the Bucs, but expect the Chiefs to win.

Underway!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good half time score. He's the GOAT!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Looks like pass interference is a thing again.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Buccs D has really turned it on today. Keeping the end zone clean against such a high powered offence is an amazing effort. KC not helped themselves though. Too many drops on half chances.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's the GOAT alright.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mahomes was pressured on over 50% of his drop backs and deep into the 4th qtr had only been sacked once. Which speaks to just how truly dominant the Bucs front were and what an insane player Mahomes is.

This SB had very heavy Denver-Seattle vibes, the LOS was a total white wash. KC OL couldnt block the Bucs at all, and the Bucs OL absolutely destroyed the Cheifs.
Incredible **** kicking from start to finish for the Bucs. Super happy for Bruce Arians and his very (and much needed) diverse coaching staff. Todd Bowles put one of the best SB performances from a coaching staff i've seen. Incredible stuff.

Also good on Antonio Winfield... when you're kicking the **** out of someone in the SB, you should get to talk as much **** as you like. :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

also, i am still absolutely shook by Tom Brady and the Bucs trying to run out the half and going in with a 14-6 lead and Andy Reid taking time outs, forcing them to play and then go in with a 21-6 lead... WHY, Andy?! haha... he hasnt done dumb clock management **** like that in years.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 8, 2021, 1:51 pm Mahomes was pressured on over 50% of his drop backs and deep into the 4th qtr had only been sacked once. Which speaks to just how truly dominant the Bucs front were and what an insane player Mahomes is.

This SB had very heavy Denver-Seattle vibes, the LOS was a total white wash. KC OL couldnt block the Bucs at all, and the Bucs OL absolutely destroyed the Cheifs.
Incredible **** kicking from start to finish for the Bucs. Super happy for Bruce Arians and his very (and much needed) diverse coaching staff. Todd Bowles put one of the best SB performances from a coaching staff i've seen. Incredible stuff.

Also good on Antonio Winfield... when you're kicking the **** out of someone in the SB, you should get to talk as much **** as you like. :lol:
Your sure? All I've heard about is Tom Brady. I just assumed he was playing every position on both sides of the ball. :lol:

Must admit I find the Brady focus a bit disrespectful to the Buccs defence which put on an incredible performance.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That was always going to happen. It's Brady, thats a whole different thing
Casuals revel themselves on that front. They'll talk about Brady, real talk will be about the D. The Gravediggers on the back end, Carlton Davis, Sean Murphey-Bunting, Antonio Winfield Jr... those guys absolutely dominated. If it were up to me, i'd have given the MVP to the DL, but if pressed to give to to a single player, it'd have been Devin White who was absolutely everywhere. But JPP, Vea, Shaq Barrett and Suh collectively as a group curb stomped these dudes. It was a total mismatch up front, and as we are constantly reminded of, QB's arent nearly as important as we all like to think, not a single QB in NFL history can win when he's pressured the way Mahomes was. You win up front on the DL and OL, thats how you win

Pat Mahomes ran for nearly 500 yards behind the LOS today... that's how much he was running for his life. The Bucs defence put on one of the greatest **** kickings in SB history.

Edit: Just FWIW i dont have a particular issue with Brady getting MVP, the problem for the D is there was a bunch of players who made a ton of plays and no one stood out. So when no one stands out, Tom Brady is going to get the nod. That's just how it is. But there is no question that this game was won the TB Defence.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also appopos to nothing, i just listened to ATN pod, which had nothing to do with the game but was a tribute to Chris Wesseling, who succumbed to his fight against cancer a few days ago.
I've been listening to that pod since... i dont know when, it's been that long, and Wess was one of the formative voices in my NFL education. His writing and podcasting helped me take my understanding and love for the game to another level... and for that i am incredibly thankful. I never met the man but he impacted my life and helped cultivate a new life passion and i am so incredibly sad for his family, he leaves behind his wife Lakisha and son Linc. RIP the Mailman. :(

Donate if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/For-lakisha- ... hare-sheet